Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad

LogisticEarth posted:

The prospect of a regular work week is so tempting though, ugh. I definitely need to change my job but I'm not sure if going to work in big box retail is the way to do it.

In my experience, getting off the career train into an unrelated job is kind of a big deal. Just make sure you are considering everything before making a decision. These are some of the things you may not already be considering:

-Getting off of a career track means you may lose the momentum you've built up. This is important for your own sake -- there is an activation energy that exists when starting a career. If you hop off because you don't like where you are, it may be much harder to get yourself back in gear.

-You will have to come up with a reasonably good explanation for future employment opportunities for why you made this decision. "I hated my job" is not an acceptable answer, so give this end of things some thought.

-If you take this job, and you are doing it to retool your experience and where you want your professional life to go, consider the time commitment that this will have. You may be able to accomplish a retooling of your career while working where you are, and you can execute this immediately whenever you figure it out, versus taking this other manager job and the time cost of this entire endeavor, if you DO wind up back on a career track, taking upwards of several years.

Just some things to think about!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU