Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
My wife is a dental hygienist in a midwestern city, making $27.50/hr. Her current employer seems to be stuck on 50 cent raises annually, which she isn't too happy about, especially given the lack of benefits - though she recently acquired half-off her personal health insurance. She is thinking about applying to another practice which recently posted an ad asking for "salary expectations" with the application. Assuming she wants somewhere around $30-$31, should she overshoot the intial offer, maybe $34/hr saying 'pending benefits' or something? Asking for salary expectations on paper isn't something I've seen much of myself.

Additionally, she has three years of experience in a field which is capped in terms of annual graduates, who also tend to move away or have babies and quit early on. I feel like it shouldn't be any problem at all for an established practice to pay even more, but the dentists I've met so far are pretty terrible... She is convinced she will never get more than $30-31, but I feel like it shouldn't be a problem. The mean hourly wage is $28.60 in this county, for her profession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
I'm wrapping up a PhD and looking for jobs. I found one listing where the recruiter is highly responsive and appears to be interested. However, I just found out it's apparently considered an 'entry' level job.

My research background sets me up with skills for "Data Science" at least insofar as I have a strong grasp of building statistical models, machine learning, and the like. I have little experience however with actual "big data" or enterprise-scale anything. I have been in academia for the last decade.

The catch is that I'm trying to get a job in the same city and, while there are several jobs in the area that are suitable and likely pay better, I feel they may be more competitive on the business side of things, and if I'm playing the odds, it's better to have this than be unemployed.

After some diplomatic wording and stating the salary expectations for Data Science jobs in the area, the recruiter came back and told me this job is offering 65-70k, asking if I wanted to withdraw my name from the candidate pool. The data science jobs in my city typically offer 90-100k. The wording of the advertisement was ambiguous, so I applied anyway. Company is also apparently a good one to work for.

I currently make 24k and will be unemployed after January. Wife makes 55k. I am married, no kids, but with a house, mortgage, and a household total of ~$40k in debts (most of which is my wife's student loans, which are interest free for the moment). We own our (lovely) cars, take cheap or no vacations, and have otherwise modest expenses. I suspect we could be debt-free in a bit over a year.

I have no experience interviewing for jobs of this type at all. In the past it was retail jobs, then laboratory jobs and grants. I have never done a technical interview. I'm thinking of staying in just for the experience of interviewing. I do not know if it is normal for a recruiter to be so attentive to a candidate pool of ~200 applications (according to LinkedIn).

If I take this job I can learn those skills I feel I'm missing and it might ease the transition from academia to industry, making it easier to get the super high-paying jobs.. At some point in the future I'd like to investigate Postdocs and such in a field of preference, but the timing is bad for it now., and I'd like some financial security first.

And really, 65-70k still feels like an infinite amount of money to me. But if I did take this job, would I be setting myself up for poor negotiations in the future re: salary?

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is 90-100 entry level pay for a data scientist in your city?

It appears to be an average. The ranges are hard to deal with because I don't have any idea of the statistical distribution. Relatively small number of jobs in that area. I think this is a case where the employer isn't entirely sure what they are looking for. I'm going to go ahead and press forward with it, but I'd like to know more.

I have not told anyone my salary. I have a "prestigious" fellowship is all they know. They could very likely guess though.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

Yeah after thinking about it, this is my basic assessment. I have long experience with R and Python and do basic SQL stuff. My lack of knowledge on the business side makes me feel like this is a reasonable first step before going back out on the job market.

I kept my hat in the ring, we'll see how it goes. It does appear to be a modeling-heavy role, which is why I was confused. I'll try to negotiate upward a bit if I get to that point.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Yeah I'm thinking that too. I hope to be able to move between industry and academia with some measure of fluidity and this is probably my best bet forward. That the hiring personnel has been so responsive feels like a good thing. The other likely outcome is that I'm unemployed early next year and we live off my wife's salary, which is doable, and she won't hate me for it or anything, but it also makes debt payment practically impossible at any reasonable rate.

When I expand my search to larger cities, the world is apparently my oyster -- that'll be more true with this job under my belt. Plus right now the cost of living and quality of life difference is such that a pretty severe increase in pay would be needed to offset that.

Still might try to negotiate a modest increase when we get to that point. I'll take that to the negotiation thread though. The simple prospect of moving into a good job market makes me giddy.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

Cool cool. Yeah the odds are in your favor for sure.

Remember too though if this doesn't work out, job hunts are like sampling some random variable. You may have a 75% 51% or whatever advantage but one go you might still lose. Gotta keep the pipeline full and keep trying until the odds payoff.

Or maybe I'm just scarred from graduating in the recession lol.

Yeah I got my bachelors during the recession. Had originally planned on grad school anyway, but looked at the job market and it seemed like grad school was the only choice! I'm still in this mindset "there are no jobs" on some levels.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
I work for a company that was recently bought out by a much larger company. I was hired with the title senior analyst under the premise that the job would evolve and so too would by title. I do data science and meet the defintion of that work as described by the Burtch Works report. My salary is higher than my phd stipend, but it could easily be ~40k higher.

I mentioned this to my boss in April and he said he'd look into it. I'm going to bring it up again after I return from a trip. However I have two choices I'm looking at right now:

1) stay with company and try to take advantage of the purchase -- the company is reorganizing a bit and I might be able to use that to my advantage. Not sure yet. It seems difficult to make any headway in that direction.

2) apply to a different company that is hiring a senior data scientist for similar work. This company is also a client of ours, however. I do not have any explicit non-competes, however our handbook advises us to consult with HR prior to taking employment where there may be conflicts of interest.

Option 2 comes with added bonuses -- the company I'm considering has more vacation, additional sick leave, tends to pay more, and I could commute to work by bike or bus with ease. Not only am I looking at what will likely be a big salary bump, but I wouldn't have to replace a car that's on its last legs.

My big concern is if something like that handbook could come back to bite me in the rear end. I don't have any explicit non-competes, but I do have a non-disclosure. Any thoughts on that? If jobs with this company are truly off limits, that basically forces me to move as we do not have many data science positions in my city.

Any tips on negotiating option 1? I feel like my boss is silo'ing me from the big conversations, and I do not feel like he has the best command on what is possible for machine learning applications in our organization.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Speaking of incompetent management, I have a career path question relating to titles...

Working in a large multinational, not FAANG. I was fake-promoted (all responsibility, no pay increase) in late October to a position appropriate for the title 'principle data scientist'. To this, my manager agreed and submitted the request. It was approved, but due to our yearly reviews, did not take effect until last week. No backpay or anything. Feels kinda lovely, but I'm almost completely out of debt and my wife and I have just hit some financial milestones that would otherwise allow for lots of time off, except the whole health insurance tied to employer deal.

So I check today and the salary grade is correct, but the job title is principle data analyst. These are actually quite different jobs in this company, with data analyst typically paying less. Not sure if it really makes a difference given the equivalent salary grade. My raise was a 16% increase -- but still less than what is paid in town for similar positions.

In any case it's clear that this is a situation where switching jobs is the simplest fix. There is some motion to switch me to a different team internally, but I may also just jump ship.

So let's say I write principle data scientist on a resume -- is this something that was screw me in a background check? Am I over thinking this? I just don't want this to affect career progression -- which I may terminate in two years anyway.

Trying to figure out if it's worth it to ask my current manager to fix this. Everything of this sort is like pulling teeth and I can't tell if this is incompetence or malice at this point.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
I was told that, yes, though mostly our conversations involved the pay grade since I skipped one.

I'll bring it up with my manager, but I'm basically exhausted at this point with continuous mistakes, setbacks, delays, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Not really sure honestly, but my god I am feeling that post.

I kinda tried to do something similar and move into a less intense role (though it's pretty much my supervisor and potentially his management structure causing the intensity here). Basically took advantage of organizational politics, impending reorg, and moved into a role where I can focus on one or two things at a time, working with a supervisor I've had some experience with in the past and generally feel good about.

Is your work like 'Robotic Process Engineering' with tools similar to 'automation anywhere' or 'UIpath'? I know I've met some entry level folks in that role who weren't too stressed out, but I get the feeling that can be highly variable depending on the project. Edit1: this is a clumsy description, here's a better one. The team had poor documentation standards but there was a senior guy who loved mentoring and unblocking his two junior team members. The junior members were in a constant state of learning and improvement for about 1.5 years until other guy moved on, then they had more contact with the same manager I just left (automation and data science were combined for reasons unknown).

I am moving from a terrible team with an outrageously incompetent and possessive manager, so I wouldn't do this myself, but could you ask your direct manager for guidance on this? You could frame it as 'career downsizing' or something. Our teams enterprise-wide were losing data engineers, RPA people, and data scientists real quick recently due to burnout across the board. I am one of those people that was about to resign but thought I might try my hand at some sort of reconciliatory move with a director who was trying to poach me earlier in the year. You may have a similar situation with more empathetic people involved.

My basic story:
I am data scientist for a large corporation and just had to listen to my ex-supervisor/still supervisor (transitioning into new role internally) go on a tirade about how we need to document things, without actually offering a plan to make documentation a feasible group activity (work load is too high and varied with 6 projects of various depth between essentially two people, with updates expected daily). This supervisor insists on sharing powerpoint slides as history of work and is dismissive of git/GitHub, writing things down in central locations, using the company recommended agile tracker software, etc. Now that I officially report to someone else, I was on a roll getting a lot of documentation stuff behind me, but now I'm in a lovely mood again. Before I hop teams I am trying to be the guy that makes the job smoother by documenting processes and technical aspects of the database back-ends of our applications. Practically nothing like that exists, so my documentation is at present month's long threads of QA.

Kudaros fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 4, 2021