Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!

Eating the Pudding posted:

I'm not a big baller, but I think I've done pretty well for my age. Here are my tips:

1. Your job is to make your boss's job easier. Don't make them hound you for little things. Take care of your boss and they will take care of you. Loyalty is important!

2. People are social creatures. Your brilliance rarely means anything if you can't work with others. Hate social politics? Climbing the ladder isn't for you.

3. No one owes you anything. Life isn't fair. No one likes a whiner.

4. Show enthusiasm and passion when you speak! Walk with purpose.

5. See the bigger picture. Look at issues and understand what is really important. Eliminate the clutter.

This seems about right. I'm at a cross-roads right now. I've been moving laterally for about 4 years (since I graduated) - but done fairly well salary-wise. However, I'm looking to get into management. Unfortunately, I'm more-or-less "stuck" in this worker bee role. I have management opportunities elsewhere, but moving doesn't help me shake a reputation of a job hopper. I'm also pretty close to the people I work with. They're also incredibly smart and the best in the business. My boss is incredibly nit-picky about the small things and I'm not the most socially compatible with one of the partners (though we try and it's a little painful).

So basically I'm snagged on the hook of #1. Loyalty is important, but I'm getting hounded for small (often inconsequential) things. I know I can go into management, but I'm not sure if I should make another move to do it. I still have more to learn regarding the technical side of my field, but I feel if I stay a worker bee I'll get pigeon-holed into being one indefinitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!
So tomorrow I'll be negotiating salary with my potential new employer. I went in and interviewed once based on a referral from a friend of mine. This is for a manager role, which would be my first foray into actual management. I've already made the mistake of telling the internal recruiter what I currently make. She said I "had" to and I foolishly disclosed. My target salary is also higher than the maximum they had in mind. I do feel as though I have a bit of leverage, as I don't really need the job and I'm in an industry where there isn't a whole lot of talent.

I read the article on salary negotiation a few posts back and it was very helpful. However, one piece of advice I was given a while back was never settle for below what you feel you're worth. Unfortunately, I'm getting paid $0.75 and I'm asking for $1.00, which is a pretty significant % increase (33%). If I'm currently being underpaid and the recruiter thinks I have fewer years of experience than most managers they hire, that puts me in more of a defensive position in this negotiation.

Have any of you been in a situation where you're currently underpaid, they know your salary, and you kind of have to justify a "fair" salary that the company typically doesn't offer? They said their max for the role is typically something like $0.90, which would be a 20% raise. So... stay unhappy in my current consulting job with some really smart people in my industry or rejoin the agency world for a management slot with some people who seem fun but aren't really industry people?

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Coming out of consulting you should be able to take a step up and get paid fair market value. Yes, there are consultants who are worthless and should be shot, but a good consultant settling down to work for one company should get paid well. Think of it this way: If your new employer were to pay your consulting fee to be there full time, what would it cost? My guess is $4 when you want $1. Granted overhead and all that in a consultancy, but $1 should be viewed as cheap.

I suppose the real question is 'how unhappy are you'? Alternatively, if you always wanted to be a manager, but very few management positions open up in your field you may be wise to take it.

Assuming there are regular management opportunities and you don't drink yourself to sleep every night and want to slam a hand in the car door to avoid going to work, maybe 'tough it out' (holy crap, I am that guy) for now and find the management gig that is right for you at the right price with the right team.

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I think the consulting fee comparison is a good way to look at it, but I'm not sure how valid of an argument that might be to a recruiter. I was planning on using the fair market value argument - so I hope they concede a bit on that one. Should I start the negotiations asking for $1.10 or just stay at $1.00?

Edit: One last thing... I could hypothetically get some equity. I don't know when, I don't know how much, etc. I think this company that I'm in has a ton of potential (we sell a really high-quality product alongside our consulting business), but I don't know if I would get enough equity to compensate for the money I would get with a 33% raise and the Manager title. That said, I'm also at the bottom of the totem pole but am one of the first people to really use and support our product (if that means anything).

Edit 2 (negotiation): So I got off the call with the internal recruiter and they offered me $0.90, which is what I expected. I again asked for $1.00 and they said it might be next to impossible to hit that value. This is okay to me. I don't mind turning down the offer. However, I would like to be able to sign the offer letter because I really like the team. They said they could work some magic and see if they can add vacation days; but in the agency world, there really isn't any such thing as a real vacation that won't completely bite you in the rear end just as much as if you had just stayed at the office so it's a pretty negligible bonus.

The unfortunate side of this is that I am negotiating with the internal recruiter and her staffing department and not the physical team I would be working with. So no matter how I slice it, they will see me as someone who doesn't have an MBA (which she brought up) and has less experience than a typical manager they hire (which she also brought up). We'll see what happens next...

Wagoneer fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 20, 2013

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!
Just got what felt like a "final" offer of $0.02 higher than the offer of $0.90 (math = $0.92). That's $0.08 below what I wanted. I'm not sure whether it's worth compromising or not. I would like to move out of my hometown and told myself I wouldn't stay for under $1.00, BUT... (and there's always a but) I'm not sure if I should get while the gettin' is good for my industry and just take the job or what. I'm not sure when I'm being petty about money and when I'm not.

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!

DukAmok posted:

Reading back, looks like your final jump would be from $0.75 now to $0.92 along with the title bump to Manager. You know better than I your feelings around current job and this job, but from my perspective, this seems like a no-brainer, take it. You're clearly underpaid and dissatisfied with your current position, and while you may end up underpaid at the new place as well, you may very well end up satisfied given the intangibles. At worst, you'll be stuck looking for another job in the not too distant future, but this time with a $0.92 base to work from, justifying even further growth. If there aren't any other clear externalities here, I say go for it.

Also maybe you should look into a better paying industry and move out of rural China where you don't have to quibble over 8 cents. I hear garment factories pay pretty well.

I live on a boat off of North Korea, so I only deal in small sums to not raise red flags. We get by through subsidies - the change is for cigarettes.

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!

Bucket Joneses posted:

Yeah no disrespect meant at all. I was just mega confused reading his post.

Everything is easier when you scale it from 1-100 (or 0-1). I was being facetious ;)

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!
Ugh, so today is the day I turn in my 2 weeks notice and my stomach is twisting. I'm spending the entire time thinking of reasons I should stay. Wish me luck.

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!

Thoguh posted:

Good luck. We're all counting on you.

Thanks - Just did it. Trip report: Went well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!
Whoa, those all sound like incredibly extreme ways to resign. I don't doubt that this is done every day, though. I typed up an incredibly nice, heartfelt thank you letter and sat my boss down in a conference room. She's a good friend so it made it incredibly difficult. Unfortunately, the company just wasn't my cup of tea.