Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I'm thinking more like a direct supplement detailing high-powered arena basketball, with bio-armor agents slamming against Godzillas for the fate of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Mikan posted:

I'm thinking more like a direct supplement detailing high-powered arena basketball, with bio-armor agents slamming against Godzillas for the fate of the world.

That doesn't mean you can't rename the attributes, sir! I'm pretty sure the CHAOS DUNK should be +4 Barkley, if nothing else. :colbert:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Mikan posted:

I love this idea and want to facilitate this in every system ever made.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

NinjaDebugger posted:

But what will the attributes be? Barkley, Jordan and...?

Shaq and Bird.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Got my book and cards today! And I love my custom card:

quote:

Winter's Bow
Operative +1, Tactician +1
Standard, Ranged, Collateral (1, 2)

Select an enemy in an adjacent sector; mote it in a straight line to the edge of the map. It takes one damage. One target in each sector it moves through takes one damage.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

NinjaDebugger posted:

But what will the attributes be? Barkley, Jordan and...?

Barkley, Jordan, Slams, and Jams.

Ceetee
Feb 14, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

Barkley, Jordan, Slams, and Jams.

Johnson, Barkley, Bogues, and Bradley,
4 of the Basketball players who had their talent stolen in Space Jam. This is CLEARLY the best option.

Or would be, if it accounted for Shaq. Gotta have Shaq in their somewhere, right?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Ceetee posted:

Johnson, Barkley, Bogues, and Bradley,
4 of the Basketball players who had their talent stolen in Space Jam. This is CLEARLY the best option.

Or would be, if it accounted for Shaq. Gotta have Shaq in their somewhere, right?

Obviously, Shaq-Fu is a power.

+1 Barkley, +1 Bradley.
Standard, Melee, Collateral (1,2). Make an attack
against an enemy. If you do damage, do one additional damage.

You smash them through the backboard and sends shards of plexiglass everywhere. Was there even a backboard there before you smashed them through it? Who knows. But there's one there now! Also, ouch.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, I'm crazy jealous of you folks that got your Last Stand stuff already.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Next batch of books will be at doorsteps and mailboxes Wednesday (maybe sooner, but I like having a buffer) so the wait shouldn't be too bad. To make up for the wait on the box sets I'm working on some extra things oh no how did this link to a tweet get here my secret is revealed

Ceetee
Feb 14, 2013

Mikan posted:

Next batch of books will be at doorsteps and mailboxes Wednesday (maybe sooner, but I like having a buffer) so the wait shouldn't be too bad. To make up for the wait on the box sets I'm working on some extra things oh no how did this link to a tweet get here my secret is revealed

Oh HELL YES. Is it going to be characters and monsters, or just one or the other?

Also how will you be handling giant monsters then?

Edit: Also have you considered adding your twitter to the list of links in the OP? You always talk about new stuff on there, and it would be nice to be able to quickly navigate to it from this thread.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I'm going to test the waters with one or two bio-armor agents, and then go from there. This is all unexplored territory for me and I've been putting myself through a crash course this last week or so.
What I want to do is create giant monsters as essentially mobile terrain - something like the Cyclosa Mech Spider (from this month's Funhaver Monthly), where it has four leg sectors and a head sector, it would be great if you could just plop that down on the table and have places for character minis to stand. palecur responded to that tweet with the Terragator and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the first monster to get a treatment since it's almost, but not quite, a giant monster.

Once I hear back from a few people, I'll probably do a poll to see which bio-armor will get the treatment first. It's a long-term kinda thing. I've spent the last few weeks getting everything I need to do the prototypes, testing ideas, burning my fingers, ruining molds, all kinds of fun activities.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Hey guys, Syrg recorded a game of Last Stand if you like watching or listening to people play games.

Ceetee
Feb 14, 2013

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I was hoping someone would spot that. Ragnarök has a Crafting system in place of Last Stand's Slotting. They work pretty much exactly the same except that the Craft system also classifies items by what they can be crafted into, that being as Armor, Weapons, Apparel and, my favorite category because it has all the weird poo poo in it, Special.

Now for the most part this has no impact on play. You can use all melee or ranged powers regardless of whether you have a Crafted melee/ranged weapon in your slots (you're assumed to have some kind of delivery system for it) and everything proceeds as in Last Stand. However, it does impact further customization of your equipment in that you can Name your Crafted stuff later to give it additional minor abilities, such as extra damage versus wolves on your nice wolf-tooth axe or protection from poison on your wyrm-scale shield. You will actually construct these abilities yourself and give the item a completely unpronounceable Nordic rune-name like "Eldhugi" or "Ormabítur".

And of course in the inevitable crossover game, any characters with Bioarmor will simply Slot powers as normal according to the stats, which map onto Last Stand's four stats fairly easily (Ţór = Leader, Óđinn = Disruptor, Freyja = Operative and Týr = Tactician). Ragnarök characters don't have this stat limitation on what they're allowed to Craft (they still have only four slots though!), but they're all marked in the game to aid in crossovers. There's also guidelines for what fits in each category if it isn't stated, such as when some dude decides to Craft for himself some bio-monstrosity (for instance, if it's a special attack, it's pretty much a Weapon.)

Was going back in the thread and re-read this, and im not sure I entirely understand how multisystem games work?

If it works the way I think it does, then Bioarmor can slot any power (regardless of its source game), but only one to each stat, and Trainings can have only one of each 'item type', but can have multiple powers tied to a single ability? But both are limited to 4 total power slots?

How do you determine the stat used for crafted powers? Is it just whatever stat it was tied to on the creature you ripped it from?

Burning Justice
May 26, 2012
Nope you get to choose in which stat it goes to, at least that is how it is with last Stand. But as it stands right now. the system is meant to work well with one another. So you can have your character wearing a mosquito armor, while wielding a giant's bone axe and able to launches fireballs if needed. Each game has it's own mechanics but are design to play nice with each other. This can go in anyway like a berserker carrying a plasma cannon from the taratank and gaining a magical flaming sword (if such thing is an option in dungeon). Fluff wise you can easily have him either carrying the cannon, or that he is a cyborg and is strapped to his shoulder.

If Mikan, Rulebook or any of the other working on fortune system games would like to correct me if I forgot something or got it wrong let me know. I'm planing to start a Fortune system in the future that will start with last stand material but then start splashing the other as they arrived so it will be very helpful.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Burning Justice has it, but I guess it won't hurt for me to clarify!

Ceetee posted:

Was going back in the thread and re-read this, and im not sure I entirely understand how multisystem games work?

If it works the way I think it does, then Bioarmor can slot any power (regardless of its source game), but only one to each stat, and Trainings can have only one of each 'item type', but can have multiple powers tied to a single ability? But both are limited to 4 total power slots?

How do you determine the stat used for crafted powers? Is it just whatever stat it was tied to on the creature you ripped it from?

Trainings have no limits whatsoever on equipment/slots. You can have four crafted Odin powers whereas you couldn't have four slotted Disruptor powers in Last Stand. There's also no restriction of how many of each type of item a Ragnarök character can craft: four pieces of apparel are just fine, as are four weapons. The same applies to when a Ragnarök character rips a power from a Last Stand monster. Basically, do whatever and go nuts.

To answer your last question, the stats on the ripped/crafted powers are mostly there to tell you what stat the monster is using and to facilitate crossover games. Odin = Disruptor, for instance, so a Last Stand character can Rip and Slot an Odin power as if it were a Disruptor power. It limits Last Stand characters, but not Ragnarök characters. So, uh, yes.

To help with crossover questions like these, there will be a simple set of rules and questions answered made available at some point soon after they're both out.

Ceetee
Feb 14, 2013

Rulebook Heavily posted:

so a Last Stand character can Rip and Slot an Odin power as if it were a Disruptor power. It limits Last Stand characters, but not Ragnarök characters.

Sounds like my group(s) have been playing wrong. I could have sworn that when you slotted a power into your bioarmor, you got to choose which stat it was slotted to? If that's not the case, the it sounds like the drone powers are significantly worse then i originally thought (and their wording seems a bit weird?), and if that IS the case, I don't entirely understand what you meant by "Slot it as if it were a disruptor power."

I understand how the stats match up, and how that applies to ripping, its just where the two overlap, and the system treat the powers differently, that I get a bit confused.

And with crafted powers, how do you determine the stat used for them when you make an attack with that power? Do you choose a stat whenever you use it, like armory powers, or does the power tell you the stat to use? I assume the latter is the case, because you mentioned 'Odin powers' as a thing, but if that is the case, how do you determine the stat of a power from a last stand monster (unless i was wrong in my initial assumption of how last stand slotted powers work.)

And im sure that all this will be much clearer when the game is actually out and i have bought a copy (cant wait), but I've been cannibalize the fortune system, for homebrew purposes, and am trying to understand every detail I can, to better steal implement ideas. And, it seems, possibly realize I've been playing wrong.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ceetee posted:

Sounds like my group(s) have been playing wrong. I could have sworn that when you slotted a power into your bioarmor, you got to choose which stat it was slotted to? If that's not the case, the it sounds like the drone powers are significantly worse then i originally thought (and their wording seems a bit weird?), and if that IS the case, I don't entirely understand what you meant by "Slot it as if it were a disruptor power."

I understand how the stats match up, and how that applies to ripping, its just where the two overlap, and the system treat the powers differently, that I get a bit confused.

To clarify what I mean: Last Stand has the rule where you have to attach Slotted powers to specific stats and lose use of those powers when the stat reaches zero. This does not apply to Ragnarök characters. In Ragnarök, the only way to lose access to a power is to deliberately sacrifice it.

Basically, think of it like this: The crafting system I explained above is the entire ruleset in Ragnarök for how ripping and "slotting" works in Ragnarök. Nothing else from Last Stand applies. You do not "slot" things into your stats, ever: You do not slot a power into your Odin stat, unlike an SPN bio-armor agent who would have to slot something into their Disruptor stat. A Last Stand character ripping a power from a Ragnarök monster, however, will Slot it into their stats as normal for Last Stand.

quote:

And with crafted powers, how do you determine the stat used for them when you make an attack with that power? Do you choose a stat whenever you use it, like armory powers,

Yep, this. They work exactly the same this way.

quote:

or does the power tell you the stat to use? I assume the latter is the case, because you mentioned 'Odin powers' as a thing, but if that is the case, how do you determine the stat of a power from a last stand monster (unless i was wrong in my initial assumption of how last stand slotted powers work.)

If you look at Last Stand monster powers, they all have a stat associated with them like Disruptor or Operative. The same applies for Ragnarök powers, except the stats are Odin and Freyja respectively in this case, and for the same reasons. When a monster's stat reaches 0, they still lose the use of the associated power as normal. The only differences are that you the player don't have to attach these powers to your own stats, and that Ragnarök monsters have Craft keyword to denote the item's type. That's it.

I worded things a bit badly earlier but essentially that's how it works. Again, we fully intend to have a basic conversion document out for this exact purpose.

Ceetee
Feb 14, 2013
Ah, thank you. Everything makes sense forever now. Well, mostly.

With the naming of items, is that something that is limited to Ragnarock characters somehow, or can it be easily poted over to the other systems?

Cause if naming your attacks doesnt boost the Kamen Rider feel of Last Stand, then I don't know WHAT does.

Also, can Ragnarock characters create new Trainings the same way that Bioarmors can be crafted out of stored but yet to be slotted powers?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
As written naming is Ragnarök only but there's no reason why Last Stand can't get in on the fun. As for Training cards, there's much fewer of them in Ragnarök but there's no reason why more can't be made. Several of them are varieties of shapeshifters who wear the skins of specific animals to take their form, and there could be many more of those just to name an example. I haven't written any guidelines for that yet, though, and changing armors is more of a Last Stand advantage.

Burning Justice
May 26, 2012
So in anticipation for the arrival of the book and armory deck I've been working on making a nice backlog of scenarios for when I end up running a game. have come up with 3 so far and working tings out.

The first one is planned as the first encounter, having them fight in a farm site against Giant Earthworms, Cargo Toads and a Swarm of Giant Locust. a simple 12 sector map with no effect so they can toy around with their powers.

The next two are not meant to go after the first, nor are they meant to go next to each other but just came and wanted to have them set.

The second scenario involves Bastion being attacked by both a queen Bee and a Fire Ant Queen, they stand at the outside of the base as their pests come attacking, using boomers to create opening on the ship. The battlefield is in the shape of a ship as each sectors covers area of importance (like the lab, sleeping quarters, pilot bay, engine rooms and such) The main targets are the two queens but they have to make sure that the swarms don't get out of control. This one will probably be a bit late in the campaign as they get more options of powers and maybe an extra bio armor or 2.

The last one is in a oil rig, I'm experimenting with this oen by having it so the fight isn't top view, the 4 lower sectors are all ocean for the aquatic bio armors to shine, the middle half is the oil rig where collateral could cause some damage. and the two top corners are sky for flyers. I'm also working on creating a creature for this. Getting the idea from the 13th age podcast and the river demon, I'm working on making a giant squid standard monster, with pest representing the tentacles.

Been also working on modifying a few of the monsters for more kaiju fun, like taking the snapping turtle and switching one of it's powers with jet flight so we have a bootleg Gamera.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So has anyone in this thread received their book/cards yet? Was wondering what the quality of the cards were and their exact size. I'm a huge sperg so I was thinking of grabbing some slip covers for mine.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 7, 2013

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
The cards seem to be 2.5"x3.5".

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
They should be standard playing card size (2.5" x 3.5"), so any sleeves designed for those should work.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
For some reason I was thinking about Last Stand and gingerbread men and decided that it would be an interesting way to run a food-themed game. Like, you could let the players make their starting suits with frosting on a roughly humanoid gingerbread man.

Then as they defeat the enemies (who are also baked goods or gummi worms or whatever) the players can eat them or set aside the parts that they want to Slot.

The city environment could be made out of stacked rice krispy treats, too.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I got tired of tiny, hard to read pieces of paper everywhere so I made a thing.

Powers PDF (Yes, the powers will wrap into columns. It fits 18 per page. I just didn't know of any more freely available powers out on the web.)

I probably still need to play with the template a bit, but the idea is to be able to print out powers and put them in the FFG American Mini card sleeves (probably with an actual card inside as well to give it some weight). Unfortunately there's apparently a shortage of those sleeves everywhere I've looked, so I can't do a full test yet. I blame the X-Wing minis game.

It currently still needs a better way to build encounters from the list of powers rather than print the whole list, and maybe another level in the hierarchy so that the actual invader is the top.

I might eventually morph it into a full-fledged encounter builder that also prints the invaders' stats on a separate page, but for now I'm just trying to address the "fun toys for players" problem, since I can just run the monsters from a sheet of notes or my iPad.

It's still a little early, but if there's interest I might throw together a Sourceforge page or something.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

That's really cool. One of my concerns with Last Stand is how the number of powers an individual player has access to - I love it, but I know it can get unwieldy for some folks - and that's a great and easy way to keep things sorted.

As more and more invaders come out in the pdfs, a tool like that would be very handy.

Ceetee
Feb 14, 2013
Just GM'd my first session of Last Stand. Went fairly well. Was a slow start, but once everyone started getting the flow of combat, it went well.

Had them go up against 2 boomer swarms, a soldier swarm, and a queen. In a field with 2 beehives to start with. Two of them were pretty badly beaten by the end, but not 'dead', so in my opinion, well balanced fight. Everyone had fun, although they kinda freaked out after the queen started creating more swarms. They managed to pull it off without any casualties though.

I'm thinking the next fight will be something deceptively difficult, like just fighting 4 swarms of caterpillars.

I did, however, have a question about how the swarms actually work? Is the entire swarm, at least for gameplay purposes, considered one 'game piece'? Or are they all separate and able to move around on their own? If its the latter, does each member of the swarm get an attack, or does the swarm as a whole get a single attack, usable from any sector with part of the swarm in it?

I'd also like to mention that the "Come back, caution" card is missing some of its rules text. It never mentions that it can attack an adjacent sector. However, it was a ranged power, so while we were playing, I ruled it as ONLY being able to attack adjacent sectors, instead of the one the user is in as well.

Still, really fun game and I have been enjoying it a lot. Its very quickly become my #1 RPG, and I can't wait to start homebrewing a ton of stuff to start throwing at my players. So thanks for this wonderful game Mikan!

(also, love the new avatar)

Edit: Also, my players were pretty adamant about me having to tell you this:

quote:

Dear game creator, why do drone bees go on offensive and soldier bees build hives? What the actual gently caress?

Ceetee fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 12, 2013

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Ceetee posted:

I did, however, have a question about how the swarms actually work? Is the entire swarm, at least for gameplay purposes, considered one 'game piece'? Or are they all separate and able to move around on their own? If its the latter, does each member of the swarm get an attack, or does the swarm as a whole get a single attack, usable from any sector with part of the swarm in it?

Swarms are a little weird. They move as one game piece and attack as one game piece, but if an attack hits everything in a sector they take damage like individual game pieces. 24-25 have the rules along with an example.
There are some vermin that can split up and break those rules, but not in the core book.

quote:

I'd also like to mention that the "Come back, caution" card is missing some of its rules text. It never mentions that it can attack an adjacent sector. However, it was a ranged power, so while we were playing, I ruled it as ONLY being able to attack adjacent sectors, instead of the one the user is in as well.

Agh, that sucks about the card. Page 76 has the full rules text - it's your sector or an adjacent sector.

quote:

(also, love the new avatar)

It's from a piece forums user obfuscobble drew for a new project I'm working on:

quote:

Edit: Also, my players were pretty adamant about me having to tell you this:

It's because they are b-movie figments of our imagination or aliens or subterranean invaders or from an alternate dimension and they get things wrong sometimes :mad: Haha that's a good point, I have no idea. I'm sure it made sense to me at the time.

Also, if anyone missed the Kickstarter update the first Monthly comes out next week. There weren't as many giant monsters as I would have liked in the core book, so I'm using the Monthly to make up for that. Here's one of them and a teaser for one of its slotted powers:

And I'll Form The Head! posted:

Select up to two allies in your sector or adjacent sectors; the three of you combine into one bio-armor agent. Collectively, you’re one sector tall and use the Giant Invader rules.

Mikan fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 12, 2013

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

For anyone who doesn't follow G+:

quote:

Based on the really, really weird premise of Sörla ţáttr eđa Heđins saga ok Högna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%B6rla_%C3%BE%C3%A1ttr), this adventure path chronicles the rise of a military warlord in Japan. With his army of literal kabuto warriors, supreme martial arts, killer skate moves and godly power, Odin has devised a new plan to stop Ragnarok. Your party of mismatched Bio-Armor Agents, Blooded, Jet-Set-Radioers and 游侠 must rise against this new threat and defeat the tyrant Odin.
I don't have a release date, but please be ready for Fortune System: Odinobunaga's Ambition.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Is the Funhaver Monthly thing a kickstarter-only reward?

Ceetee
Feb 14, 2013

Mikan posted:

For anyone who doesn't follow G+:

Mixed system adventure path? Do want!

I trust it will have a few custom monsters with powers that help blur the lines further between the systems?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So I finally got my copy in the mail! Thanks mikan!

Strangely enough, the bottom two cards of my deck were Crab Armor and Sniper Rifle. Sniper Crab lives on ;_;7. (Speaking of PublicOpinions Goon LS game from awhile back, does anyone have any of the art from the previous Last Stand thread?)

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I never delete anything on purpose, so I've still got my art. Unfortunately I never delete anything, so unless I remember the filename it takes a while to find anything. Luckily I gave this one the straightforward title of "crab_sniper":

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

PublicOpinion posted:

I never delete anything on purpose, so I've still got my art. Unfortunately I never delete anything, so unless I remember the filename it takes a while to find anything. Luckily I gave this one the straightforward title of "crab_sniper":

Thanks! Glad to see this beauty survived.

Burning Justice
May 26, 2012

Mikan posted:

And I'll Form The Head! posted:
Select up to two allies in your sector or adjacent sectors; the three of you combine into one bio-armor agent. Collectively, you’re one sector tall and use the Giant Invader rules.
I'm curious on how this work Initiative wise, do all 3 act at the same time (and if so do the other two get pushed back if one took the bribe), or are they separate and the giant fused warrior gets to move 3 sectors per round (one for each agent's turn).

I love the concept though and can see some grade B movie madness coming from it, a long with long and hilarious combination sequence.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

xiw posted:

Is the Funhaver Monthly thing a kickstarter-only reward?

Nope, it's free for everyone. One of the stretch goals was six months of free supplements.

Ceetee posted:

Mixed system adventure path? Do want!

I trust it will have a few custom monsters with powers that help blur the lines further between the systems?

Definitely. Last night we were talking about things like Water Strider Bio-Armor with bio-skates and Electric City mechanics.

Burning Justice posted:

I'm curious on how this work Initiative wise, do all 3 act at the same time (and if so do the other two get pushed back if one took the bribe), or are they separate and the giant fused warrior gets to move 3 sectors per round (one for each agent's turn).

The latter.

Ceetee
Feb 14, 2013
If a caterpillar swarm rolls a ten, does it mean the entire swarm turns into a single coccoon, or just one of the bugs in the swarm?

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

One Cocoon replaces the entire swarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceetee
Feb 14, 2013
I had a few questions about the spider preview you post on twitter.

It doesn't seem to have a Tactician power. Is this intentional, or just for the preview? I believe all the other giant monsters had a full set.

The Disruptor power references a stacking effect on the Wrecked field effect, but they are only placed once during the fight. Do other things create wrecked effects? Also, does the leg put the effect in its own sector as well?

If a player uses And I'll Form The Head, followed by The Akira Effect, do they stay combined, but shrink down to regular bio-armor agent size?

Also something I've been meaning to ask, but it keeps slipping my mind: Are diagonal sectors supposed to be adjacent?

• Locked thread