Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
As :psypop: as all of that story is, the part that was really sad for me was the goofy picture that Paesyn draws for Zolyn, it's like something a 5 year old would draw :smith: I don't know why that particular bit made such an impression on me but it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

As :psypop: as all of that story is, the part that was really sad for me was the goofy picture that Paesyn draws for Zolyn, it's like something a 5 year old would draw :smith: I don't know why that particular bit made such an impression on me but it did.

The poem made me laugh but the portrait shall forever remain in my inventory as a bittersweet reminder of the beauty of love and the tragedy of love lost~

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
So just installed this game, made a Brawler, and spent 2 hours punching the crap out of everything.

So now I've rolled a Gunner, and gonna see how that goes. I used Pierson's buddy code for that.

The combat in this game is just a lot of fun.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Two things that aren't immediately apparently with Gunner: Arcane Barrage's hotkey needs to be pressed again to detonate it when it gets close to enemies, and you hold down the Mana Missiles and don't let go until it fires off on its own for maximum amount of projectiles.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
So i'm hooked on this game, probably 3 years too late, but it is a blast. Been playing it for a week now and decided to focus on a Gunner after trying most of the classes. Now that she's up to 40 and the Reaper class is unlocked, I want to play a melee DPS character. Which class has the fastest combat? Something similar to a Fury Warrior or Rogue in WoW; lots of fast, big hits. Right now I'm leaning towards a Brawler (Tank, i know, but they are fun), Slayer (they seem really slow attacking), Warrior, and Reaper. I didn't like the Berserker that much.

Tera's Warrior looks like it could be the closest, but the damage doesn't seem that high and the complexity rating that is shown in game is turning me off. I'd mostly be doing solo questing, not sure what there is to do at level cap. Thanks

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't like Slayer very much at all, but Brawler and Warrior are both really neat and fun. Brawler is way easier to play than Warrior because the combo mechanic adds a lot of semi-block effect and tons of knockdowns, you don't have to be very careful. Also Brawler has a tremendous self-heal, which is nice. Warrior relies on either using your block well, or timing your iframe moves correctly (both really).

Warrior DPS is very good if you play well, if you read all the descriptions carefully you begin to see how using Power A greatly shortens the animation time/greatly increases the DPS of other powers if timed correctly. Also there isn't anything wrong with Brawler DPS at all, even though they're supposed to be a tank class. No opinion about the pedobait class.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't like Slayer very much at all, but Brawler and Warrior are both really neat and fun. Brawler is way easier to play than Warrior because the combo mechanic adds a lot of semi-block effect and tons of knockdowns, you don't have to be very careful. Also Brawler has a tremendous self-heal, which is nice. Warrior relies on either using your block well, or timing your iframe moves correctly (both really).

Warrior DPS is very good if you play well, if you read all the descriptions carefully you begin to see how using Power A greatly shortens the animation time/greatly increases the DPS of other powers if timed correctly. Also there isn't anything wrong with Brawler DPS at all, even though they're supposed to be a tank class. No opinion about the pedobait class.

Yeah I watched a bunch of videos on Warrior gameplay and they fit the theme I was looking for but seem a bit too complicated. I ended up making a Brawler because they are fun as hell and it's so great to just punch poo poo in the face and knock them all around.

Not gonna lie, I did make a Reaper to try out the class. Their gameplay is really fun and the animations are great, but I just can't play an Elin.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Polegrinder posted:

Yeah I watched a bunch of videos on Warrior gameplay and they fit the theme I was looking for but seem a bit too complicated. I ended up making a Brawler because they are fun as hell and it's so great to just punch poo poo in the face and knock them all around.

Not gonna lie, I did make a Reaper to try out the class. Their gameplay is really fun and the animations are great, but I just can't play an Elin.

Warrior was my first class in this game. I did not find them to be all that hard at least in PvE. I did not try PvP with that class.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

Warrior was my first class in this game. I did not find them to be all that hard at least in PvE. I did not try PvP with that class.

Do you not need to keep switching stances and stuff? They look like fun, but it just seemed like a lot of work to maximize DPS.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
So I re-installed this and apparently can get a free item set for 1 character. Is the item set equivalent to something that was in-game 5-6 months ago (Schisma, etc...) or is it something better that I can use on a geared person?

Edit:

VV Oh, that's a shame. Thanks!

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 26, 2016

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's the Idoneal gear set you used to get at the end of the storyline and now is just handed to you the second you hit 65. Returning players get a free set via item claim. It's basically just the introductory endgame armour.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Polegrinder posted:

Do you not need to keep switching stances and stuff? They look like fun, but it just seemed like a lot of work to maximize DPS.

Now? I don't know. I have not followed Warrior guides and balance changes since I first played the class which was a very long time ago. I did play a Warrior again about 6 months ago but I did not hit level cap and I didn't read anything about it. I was not stance dancing during either of those times, but you should verify if that prospect troubles you. Or you can do what I do which is to not give a crap because the class is a lot of fun especially if you enjoy melee with short animation times and a lot of movement.

Edit: Here is something much more recent and looks to be highly comprehensive if maxing DPS is a concern for you. I skimmed through the rotation section and I did not catch anything that sounds like stance dancing to me. The rotation itself sounds like something very similar to what I was doing during my recent Warrior game play without needing to look up a guide and I suck at video games so how hard could it really be?

http://teratoday.com/content/tera-guide/tera-class-guide/warrior-min-max-guide-bernkastel

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 26, 2016

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

Now? I don't know. I have not followed Warrior guides and balance changes since I first played the class which was a very long time ago. I did play a Warrior again about 6 months ago but I did not hit level cap and I didn't read anything about it. I was not stance dancing during either of those times, but you should verify if that prospect troubles you. Or you can do what I do which is to not give a crap because the class is a lot of fun especially if you enjoy melee with short animation times and a lot of movement.

Edit: Here is something much more recent and looks to be highly comprehensive if maxing DPS is a concern for you. I skimmed through the rotation section and I did not catch anything that sounds like stance dancing to me. The rotation itself sounds like something very similar to what I was doing during my recent Warrior game play without needing to look up a guide and I suck at video games so how hard could it really be?

http://teratoday.com/content/tera-guide/tera-class-guide/warrior-min-max-guide-bernkastel

Haha awesome, thanks! I too suck at games, but I just didn't want to suck too badly. I may roll a Warrior on a different server to try it out since the 2 slots I have on my main server are full. Speaking of, is it worth it to spend any money on this game? I was looking at the Starter Pack which offers another character slot. If I were to buy anything from the store, what would be recommended?

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Unless they overhauled the class significantly since I last played(which has admittedly been a few years), there's just a stance that cranks your crit through the roof, and a stance that does the same for defense and allows you to block; you pick the one suited for your current role and sit in it.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Unoriginal One posted:

Unless they overhauled the class significantly since I last played(which has admittedly been a few years), there's just a stance that cranks your crit through the roof, and a stance that does the same for defense and allows you to block; you pick the one suited for your current role and sit in it.

Yeah I made a Warrior last night and they are like WoW Warriors where you pick a stance and stay in it. So I guess I misunderstood the stance aspect of the DPS rotation. So far at level 12 he's not very fun though :(

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Polegrinder posted:

Yeah I made a Warrior last night and they are like WoW Warriors where you pick a stance and stay in it. So I guess I misunderstood the stance aspect of the DPS rotation. So far at level 12 he's not very fun though :(

The class and rotations change a lot as you level. If you look at the guide I supplied you with and compare that to a list of skills that you will be unlocking including at what level you will see what I mean. Also, check out some YouTube vids of mid and high level Warrior BAM solo game play. That will give you a solid glimpse into the future and should help you decide whether or not you want to continue leveling the class.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

The class and rotations change a lot as you level. If you look at the guide I supplied you with and compare that to a list of skills that you will be unlocking including at what level you will see what I mean. Also, check out some YouTube vids of mid and high level Warrior BAM solo game play. That will give you a solid glimpse into the future and should help you decide whether or not you want to continue leveling the class.

I did and that's why I started to level one. I read a lot about how Warriors are solo kings and good at soloing BAMs. Plus some of the mid-game gameplay looked cool. I think I was just spoiled by Gunners and Brawlers starting out really fun and having a cool kit to right at level 1. I'm going to keep playing him to see how it is at 20-25 to decide if I want to keep going or not.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
My Brawler is only 55, but I've been able to effortlessly solo every group dungeon thus far, while being at the appropriate level for it. I'm not sure I could do that on a Warrior, certainly not as easily. Just from the design of the Brawler block ability I don't see their solo capability falling away in 10 levels, and am guessing they've supplanted Warrior as the Solo Kings.

Warriors "One True Button" is Blade Draw. It hits like a truck, but the animation is painfully slow unless you use it after one of the five or so skills listed in the Blade Draw tooltip. One of the Blade Draw glyphs gives it a chance to not consume it's cooldown on use, so playing a DPS Warrior well means knowing the skills you can use to fire off a Blade Draw whenever you happen to have one available.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Is there a benefit to starting a new account? I just bought the founders pack since I am enjoying the game and before I apply it to my existing account, I thought I might make a new account if there is a way to get additional perks. I know about the BuddyUp codes, but it seems like I saw somewhere that you can apply a code to a new account and get some temporary buffs in addition to the BuddyUp stuff. Thanks

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!

Polegrinder posted:

Is there a benefit to starting a new account? I just bought the founders pack since I am enjoying the game and before I apply it to my existing account, I thought I might make a new account if there is a way to get additional perks. I know about the BuddyUp codes, but it seems like I saw somewhere that you can apply a code to a new account and get some temporary buffs in addition to the BuddyUp stuff. Thanks
There is no need to ever make a new account. Buddyup applies to new accounts, or if you have not logged in to your account for 30 days. Founders codes can be applied both forwards and backwards at any time to any existing account. Accounts can claim codes anytime, only one time each per account. Here are a few:

https://support.enmasse.com/tera/how-do-i-claim-my-premium-services-and-purchased-promotional-items#HowDoIRedeem

elitefreedays - 3 days of elite status, includes discount for cash shop, xp boost, gold boost, free daily items, use wisely
FruitAttacks - Apple Head Accessory
headbands4kids - Headband Hairstyle Box
ITSHALLOWEEKEND - Friday Night Box
Martha's New Boyfriend - TERA Giveaway Package, includes 3 day steampunk costume and 3 day Cinder mount, some campfires, 1 hour gold boost
sunnyday - Sunny Pixel Sunglasses
Z3L1NN1NJ4R34P3R848YWH4TX - 3 day khan mount

I just made a new account and tested about 20+ various codes I found on the net, and the above ones are still valid. Everything else is expired.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Boy I haven't played this in...a while. Might start again.

I think the last thing that happened once I started playing was they had just introduced Reaper. Any new classes?

I never did get to endgame so I don't know what's different there but Iv'e always enjoyed tera (except for all the elins) but I might try it again, i love the combat.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

Boy I haven't played this in...a while. Might start again.

I think the last thing that happened once I started playing was they had just introduced Reaper. Any new classes?

I never did get to endgame so I don't know what's different there but Iv'e always enjoyed tera (except for all the elins) but I might try it again, i love the combat.

Yeah, the introduced the Brawler class a few months ago. It's gender/race locked to Human female and it's a tanking class. The hold aggro by doing damage. They are a fuckton of fun to play and are pretty OP right now. There is a nerf coming to them soon though. But even if they lower their damage, it's so awesome rounding up a bunch of mobs and punching them to death.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm pretty sure Gunner was released after Reaper too, so check out Gunner which is a quality class

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Race locking I can understand, but gender locking seems...weird. Why can't I punch things as a giant rock monster?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

Race locking I can understand, but gender locking seems...weird. Why can't I punch things as a giant rock monster?

Fewer new armor models and animations to make.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

I wanted to use a BuddyUp code for my new character, but I am not seeing the option. All that is showing up is the "create your Brawler" button. It shows up on another server where I just have one character, but it's not available on Highwatch.

On a somewhat related question. Banks are account wide, does that mean server wide as well?

Thanks

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!

Polegrinder posted:

I wanted to use a BuddyUp code for my new character, but I am not seeing the option. All that is showing up is the "create your Brawler" button. It shows up on another server where I just have one character, but it's not available on Highwatch.

On a somewhat related question. Banks are account wide, does that mean server wide as well?

Thanks
To be a bit more specific, buddyup "30 days since last logged in" is on a per-realm basis. You need a character under level 9 (which is counter-intuitive because you finish the newbie island at level 11). You need to have at least one character on a realm to see buddyup eligibility. Banks are also per-realm, shared only between the characters on that realm. Some items you get that cannot be traded can be stored in the bank and shared with your other characters.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

tearshed posted:

To be a bit more specific, buddyup "30 days since last logged in" is on a per-realm basis. You need a character under level 9 (which is counter-intuitive because you finish the newbie island at level 11). You need to have at least one character on a realm to see buddyup eligibility. Banks are also per-realm, shared only between the characters on that realm. Some items you get that cannot be traded can be stored in the bank and shared with your other characters.

Ah ok so it's the 30-day thing holding me back since I've logged on this month.

The only useful thing you get from the buddyup is the looting pet right? Is that even permanent?

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!

Polegrinder posted:

Ah ok so it's the 30-day thing holding me back since I've logged on this month.

The only useful thing you get from the buddyup is the looting pet right? Is that even permanent?
If you haven't logged into a realm in 30 days (or started a new account), you have 2 weeks to apply a buddycode to a character, then it goes away until you don't log in for 30 days again. The looting pet is permanent.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
The brawler feels like a class from a completely different (and much better) game.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Just some newb questions!

1. Should I bother with gathering?
2. Should I be dismantling old gear for feedstock, or vendoring it? If feedstock, should I be saving or putting it on the barter?
3. I feel dumb, but I can't seem to disable this huge horizontal message that keeps telling me poo poo like "During skill X you can attack and defend". I'm level 14 currently and have seen it multiple times. I also get random help messages too laid out across my screen. I've disabled everything I saw in the options.
4. Are these Vanguard quests important? They seen like repeatable filler, and right now exp is fine (used buddy code).

Anywhos, game is fun so far, but the most annoying and obtrusive UI I've experienced in a long time. It loves plastering your screen with notifications mid fight all the drat time, at least low levels.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Just some newb questions!

1. Should I bother with gathering?
2. Should I be dismantling old gear for feedstock, or vendoring it? If feedstock, should I be saving or putting it on the barter?
3. I feel dumb, but I can't seem to disable this huge horizontal message that keeps telling me poo poo like "During skill X you can attack and defend". I'm level 14 currently and have seen it multiple times. I also get random help messages too laid out across my screen. I've disabled everything I saw in the options.
4. Are these Vanguard quests important? They seen like repeatable filler, and right now exp is fine (used buddy code).

Anywhos, game is fun so far, but the most annoying and obtrusive UI I've experienced in a long time. It loves plastering your screen with notifications mid fight all the drat time, at least low levels.

I'm also a noob, but from what I can tell, you can skip the gathering. At level 20 you will get a quest for a legendary weapon. The fragments drop from normal mobs (low), BAMs (medium/high), and dungeons (high - bosses and trash). You will keep upgrading this Avatar weapon up until 60 or 65, I'm not sure yet. You will get new weapons every 10 levels it seems. Maybe gathering the scraps to make armor might be a good idea, I don't seem to get a lot of armor from questing.

Vendor it. Once you get the quest for the avatar weapon you will start getting these weapon shards, they are pretty much dismantle fodder and they give you a gently caress ton of the material you need to enchant your weapon.

Not sure, but I think it goes away soon. Perhaps closer to 20 or at 20. I don't recall seeing it pop up in the 30s.

The Vanguard quests are repeatable. Most of the time you will end up doing the same one 2-4 times while questing in an area. The big one to watch out for is the dungeon Vanguard quest. It gives an insane amount of XP and you should level up twice per dungeon in the lower levels. The other quests you really want to focus on are the story quests (red ?). They take a bit of time, but you can combine them with the other side quests and get a huge chunk of XP. The story quests will also reward you with a nice piece of armor, ring, etc. upon completion.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There's a lot of money to be made gathering, so you should go ahead and do it. Mouse over stuff and it will show you the current auction price for it on the tooltip (a super, super handy feature every game like this should steal). Stuff like scarabs, idyllic leaf, tear of gods or whatever can be found in low level nodes but still sell for a lot of money.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Gather 50 of everything from the start (plants, energy, ore). Once you get to lvl 300 for each in gathering (check your character menu, gathering) you get an extra inventory row. Also, as soon as you get to Velika for the first time go to Getty, the inventory unlocker guy, and he'll give you a slot free. At lvl 55 a quest unlocks from him, too, that takes you to a few area towns and you have to turn in 50 of each gathering thing for that area. Then you get an inventory slot, too. So gathering give you 2 extra ones plus lots to sell if you don't do any crafting.

It's something to do in between things or as you come across them. If you only want to gain the gathering levels you can go to a high level area and try to gather those items. You'll fail, but still get points so if super bored or have something else to keep you occupied you can just try over and over on one spot til leveled.

If you think you may be in to Tera for a while and end-game stuff, then hold on to it all. Otherwise, the random stuff that gets dropped from gathering can be very profitable.

I sell gear that's not bind on pickup if it's enchantable, otherwise I just turn it all in to feedstock and stow away each level of it in my bank. You never know when you may level another char and it comes in handy. They practically throw feedstock and alkas at you now, though through VG dailies and questing. There's very little gain in converting or selling it until you get tier 7 and above (at least on my server).

Just check what the VG quests gives for rewards. Charms, feedstock, alkas and gold are worthwhile. You're limited on how many you can do a day for rewards, though, so I just max out the daily amount then don't bother with it, unless wanting the XP.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The avatar weapon is an entirely new one every ten levels or so, you can scrap the old one for feedstock but make drat sure you dismantle the old one and not the new one, I did that once and it was miserable 'till I could get the next.

Farcus
Jan 11, 2004
Togetha?
is there still a guild in the PVP server? or anyone leveling up in Mount Tyrannas want someone to do it together?

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Lancer, Priest, elementary list is damage compensation at the time of the general / medium-sized monster attack will increase.
※ except the dungeon boss monsters.

http://tera-hangame.pmang.jp/notices/639

So apparently Priests and Lancers are getting a pve dps boost for everything except Bosses?

Finally :)

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
i played this game for three hours and then stopped. here is my guy

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'd say you have won, congratulations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

The na version that is on steam cannot be added anymore, if you are not from na, as it has become region locked (some time ago actually)

It would appear however you can still add it through steamdb.
https://steamdb.info/app/323370/

Its installing right now, hope it works :)

• Locked thread