Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I did a PUG for SM last night, and the Sorcerer kept running ahead and pulling things without a word. The Lancer kept getting pissed off and telling me not to heal him. Which I didn't really want to do anyway, since all the aggro ends up on me and I end up kiting a train in circles. The Sorcerer never responded to anything anyone said and just kept pulling, the Lancer got pissed and dropped group, and we were left with no tank, except an idiot sorcerer who apparently thought he was a tank. We still did the two vamp mini bosses, mostly with me kiting them in circles, but I decided to drop before the last guy. I would have been more annoyed, but it was just such a classic MMO dungeon PUG situation that I only found it amusing, having not done an MMO dungeon in a couple years.

In that situation, is there anything you can do outside of dropping group and eating the 30 minute no-dungeon-finder debuff? The rest of the group seemed oblivious and no one was talking. Does it auto-queue you to get another tank at that point, or does the leader have to do something to make that happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

BobTheJanitor posted:

I did a PUG for SM last night, and the Sorcerer kept running ahead and pulling things without a word. The Lancer kept getting pissed off and telling me not to heal him. Which I didn't really want to do anyway, since all the aggro ends up on me and I end up kiting a train in circles. The Sorcerer never responded to anything anyone said and just kept pulling, the Lancer got pissed and dropped group, and we were left with no tank, except an idiot sorcerer who apparently thought he was a tank. We still did the two vamp mini bosses, mostly with me kiting them in circles, but I decided to drop before the last guy. I would have been more annoyed, but it was just such a classic MMO dungeon PUG situation that I only found it amusing, having not done an MMO dungeon in a couple years.

In that situation, is there anything you can do outside of dropping group and eating the 30 minute no-dungeon-finder debuff? The rest of the group seemed oblivious and no one was talking. Does it auto-queue you to get another tank at that point, or does the leader have to do something to make that happen?

The leader is able to requeue/recruit. Always mark 'yes' at 'I'm able to lead' when you queue up for an instance.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I got a key from a fellow goon in SA-Mart. How do I set up the title and mount and stuff? Also, the mount is only for one character, right?

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I got a key from a fellow goon in SA-Mart. How do I set up the title and mount and stuff? Also, the mount is only for one character, right?

No. Mounts are for all of your characters. You can find it here: ALT -> Activities -> Item Claim -> Account Items. You can adjust titels by clicking 'V'.

Note that mounts obtained through in-game means are only for that one character, with the account wide mount from the shop being the only exepction.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

Honestly? Whenever I'm in a PUG I do exactly what that sorcerer did because
groups
are
so
loving
slow.

I can duo most instances with a healer, and solo some. Tanks are just a neat extra.

This isn't WoW or Rift where trash is more dangerous than the actual boss.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

KaneTW posted:

Honestly? Whenever I'm in a PUG I do exactly what that sorcerer did because
groups
are
so
loving
slow.

I can duo most instances with a healer, and solo some. Tanks are just a neat extra.

This isn't WoW or Rift where trash is more dangerous than the actual boss.

That's cool if you can do that, but in this situation he would just run in and pull a room full of trash, I would throw one heal out before he died, and then everything would be chasing me. Like if you can keep hate on you and I can heal you, that's fine. But if not, stop it. And at least communicate that's what you're doing. This guy didn't say anything, even when people asked him to stop.

I'm thinking that possibly having the default chat window contain about 20 different chats at once leads people to completely miss party chat in amongst global and area chat about creepy elin-related topics. Either that, or most everyone I've grouped with didn't speak english or had no typing fingers.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
So how do I PvP as a sorc? I know I can't do poo poo to gankers above my level, but similar to my level I should be able to put the hurt on at least.

My main problem is that most of my powerful skills are slow, and they can kill me before the fast/weak spells can take them down.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Harik posted:

So how do I PvP as a sorc? I know I can't do poo poo to gankers above my level, but similar to my level I should be able to put the hurt on at least.

My main problem is that most of my powerful skills are slow, and they can kill me before the fast/weak spells can take them down.

I take it you're still leveling then. Sorcs are also very good at PvP while leveling, much better than most classes. Don't try to use any charge up attacks really, just use your abilities to keep yourself at range. Around 20+ the lock on skills are the best, combined with magma bomb. At level 20 I was able to kill three people at my own level simply due to the good kite abilities and that one nasty sleep lock-on skill.

Ice Needle is also much faster now after the recent patch, along with a couple other spells.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Phosphia posted:

I take it you're still leveling then. Sorcs are also very good at PvP while leveling, much better than most classes. Don't try to use any charge up attacks really, just use your abilities to keep yourself at range. Around 20+ the lock on skills are the best, combined with magma bomb. At level 20 I was able to kill three people at my own level simply due to the good kite abilities and that one nasty sleep lock-on skill.

Ice Needle is also much faster now after the recent patch, along with a couple other spells.

46, actually. I powerleveled so haven't done any PVP aside from the occasional "get ganked in lumbertown".

Mostly, it's because I'm white and they get to initiate combat while I'm busy with some trash mob. So I start at a disadvantage.

Stuns are what nail me, they start with a stun and I'm mincemeat before it wears off.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

This game looks pretty neat, but what is the catch? How can they afford to go completely F2P?

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Twilight Matrix posted:

This game looks pretty neat, but what is the catch? How can they afford to go completely F2P?

There's something called microtransactions, and there's quite a lot of them. With the huge amount of new people joining the game, I don't think it is going to be a problem. Not to mention that some people still remain subscribed to the game.

Harik, I don't have any wonder tactic as to how to win a fight where you as cloth user get ganked. My best advice would be to stay alert.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Phosphia posted:

Harik, I don't have any wonder tactic as to how to win a fight where you as cloth user get ganked. My best advice would be to stay alert.
It's an mmo, friends help. Also the way they structured things, it really helps a lot and is rewarding. Check about if there are people in the guild about your level and in the area. Or ask random people in the quest hub, you never know.

Yesterday I encountered no less than five or such outlaws around my level. However, due to running around with two lancers, the outlaws were the ones who couldn't get away fast enough.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Harik posted:

46, actually. I powerleveled so haven't done any PVP aside from the occasional "get ganked in lumbertown".

Mostly, it's because I'm white and they get to initiate combat while I'm busy with some trash mob. So I start at a disadvantage.

Stuns are what nail me, they start with a stun and I'm mincemeat before it wears off.

Get two more levels first of all. Burst of Celerity will help a lot since all your stuff will cast way faster and you can work on getting a Time Gyre -> Mindblast combo to keep them in place so you can pop celerity and dump all your stuff on them. 48 is like the level when everything changes for Sorc, both in PvE and PvP.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Guild master turned kinda creepy today.

Other members were disturbed by his behavior and are still nice though, but I'm gonna stay on the ready to drop this if it gets too weird.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Phosphia posted:

No. Mounts are for all of your characters. You can find it here: ALT -> Activities -> Item Claim -> Account Items. You can adjust titels by clicking 'V'.

Weird. I don't see anything under Account Items. Do I need to be a certain level?

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Weird. I don't see anything under Account Items. Do I need to be a certain level?

Check your spell book.

Mordaedil, do keep us posted.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Mordaedil posted:

Other members were disturbed by his behavior and are still nice though, but I'm gonna stay on the ready to drop this if it gets too weird.

What is this, an excerpt from Rorschach's journal of his time in Tera? (comic book nerd humor, ignore me)

Also on the F2P model, I think they'll probably do OK. The store prices seem kind of terrible to me, but that seems to be par for the course for F2P games. Apparently for every hundred people like me who laugh at 10 bucks for a bunny suit for their pretty in-game princes, there is one person with way more money than sense who will buy everything at outrageous prices. So they end up making plenty of money on the few, instead of from lots of micro-transactions.

That said, the 15/mo Elite (essentially the old subscription model) isn't too bad of a deal. The daily boosters are ok, the atlas is great (although I wish it was just an account skill that went on the Elite bar instead of a book you have to play bank-trade tag with amongst your characters), the rotating mounts isn't a bad idea, and the other little perks are pretty nice. I may not pay it every month all year long, but from time to time I might consider it.

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 12, 2013

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Mordaedil posted:

You can't just say that and then not tell us what happened!

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Hi,

If I buy a boxed copy how should I go about selling it? I'm planning to probably buy 1 maybe 2 boxed copies if I can get them, for goons who missed buying it before it went F2P.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They have a TeamSpeak server.

I need to investigate how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Tomorrow. For now I need to sleep on this.

cathead posted:

You can't just say that and then not tell us what happened!

If you really feel you are ready for it.

It started innocuously enough, just normal small-talk and teasing about eating a fellow popori, jokingly. Then suddenly across the guild chat the guild leader molested the nipples of one of the other guildies. Silence struck across the channel and only shocked faces were posted. The target participated in what I can only assume was a way to sate the aggressive approach of their leader. I called them out on their hypocrisy. It fell on deaf ears and was subsequently drowned out in feeble attempts at humor and then silence.

Then today. The guild master led a provocatively offending conversation. I let it slide, passing it off as a momentary loss of control of hormones and a lack of proper vent-age. Then they went into proper detail of licking "Elin Honey" and I couldn't stay silent any more. I called him out on his perversion. He didn't respond. I didn't let the conversation drop. I challenged him on grounds of being a creepy gently caress.

Turns out it's actually a she. And she is actually homosexual. I wasn't prepared for that avenue. It's still creepy, but it was too late, I had gone out on the wrong threshold. I tried to deny it to be true, but someone I trust more than her confirmed her identity.

I decided to pursue the obvious. I had miscalculated. She had no shame. To spare the other guild members a discussion that would ultimately just run trite, I decided to stop arguing in this pointless fashion.

Investigating TeamSpeak is my next option if I care to.

Thoughts goons? Mind you, this isn't a serious guild and the rest of the members are more tolerable, but I don't have any idea how to approach this, like at all.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 12, 2013

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Chillyrabbit posted:

Hi,

If I buy a boxed copy how should I go about selling it? I'm planning to probably buy 1 maybe 2 boxed copies if I can get them, for goons who missed buying it before it went F2P.

SA-Mart. Or even this thread which has some people looking for keys still, I believe.

Mordaedil posted:

They have a TeamSpeak server.

I need to investigate how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Tomorrow. For now I need to sleep on this.

And that was the last thing we ever read from that poster, officer.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

I just thought you were talking about me and went "wait, what? I didn't even log on today"

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
^^ Make sure you read my old post again, I updated it!

KaneTW posted:

I just thought you were talking about me and went "wait, what? I didn't even log on today"

No, I'm on Celestial Hills, trying a random guild there.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
^^ seriously go do that, it turns out real life is so much better than the crap I made up while bored at work

He logs into the TeamSpeak server, headphones donned. "lolis 'n creeeeeeeam" a breathy voice hisses into his ears. It begins.

Three days later, that's where the police find him. The revulsion of that night permanently etched upon his face, headphone cord wound tightly around his throat. Poor fool, it was his only way out.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Mordaedil posted:

If you really feel you are ready for it.

You mean a guild leader in a game with sexualised children was super creepy?

I'm almost shocked!

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Hey I'm not creepy ok :mad:

Also just to remind people we don't talk about Elins too much here so avoid a 3 page derail thanks.

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

You mean a guild leader in a game with sexualised children was super creepy?

I'm almost shocked!

I think your response is getting pretty close to opening up a can of worms when the problem at hand is the Guild Master, and not the game aspects.

Not sure if Kewpuh is enforcing it in this thread, but he said in the previous thread to avoid this topic altogether.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

I kind of want to try this game out but the ridiculously grossly sexualised female characters and children are, uh, offputting, to say the least.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Play an Aman Male or Baraka if you can ignore the other players and want the least offending race/gender choices. Women aren't much more sexualised than in other MMOs (and men significantly more so at least gender equality yay) but yeah.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

garth ferengi posted:

I kind of want to try this game out but the ridiculously grossly sexualised female characters and children are, uh, offputting, to say the least.

It's the kind of thing that can lead to a massive derail, so without going into it too much: it can't hurt to give it a try. Yes, it has some weird stuff in it. But the combat system is something you won't really find elsewhere. The environments are varied and quite pretty, and the music is fairly good fantasy fare as well. There are going to be weird people, and most of the armor is actually lingerie. You either ignore it, or if it's too much you just quit. But since it is F2P now at least you don't have to invest in it to find out if it's worth putting up with the unsavory elements to get to the enjoyable game. Just turn off global chat, for the love of sanity.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

garth ferengi posted:

Play a popori. The Master Race.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

KaneTW posted:

Play an Aman Male or Baraka if you can ignore the other players and want the least offending race/gender choices. Women aren't much more sexualised than in other MMOs (and men significantly more so at least gender equality yay) but yeah.

True, you will find a lot of 'sexualised' females in many other MMOs, but I have yet to find something else than Tera that also does it with males.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

KaneTW posted:

Hey I'm not creepy ok :mad:

Also just to remind people we don't talk about Elins too much here so avoid a 3 page derail thanks.
Actually, this reminds me of something. Looking at the forums is confusing because this was something that is different between the NA and Korean versions of Tera. Namely, the hitbox normalization - I've seen people say either way on the whole "blocking hitbox" vs "being hit hitbox".

According to my understanding, these aren't the same, which makes sense, since blocking also depends on facing. But when they normalized the Elin/Popori "being hit" hitboxes to the size of humans/elves, they apparently did not do so to the "blocking" hitbox, which means there's an area ahove your head where you can be hit (in the air) but cannot block, because your hitbox for the blocking move does not go that high.

Can anyone with some experience with an Elin/popori (both were renormalized) tell me if you've experienced something like that?

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

BobTheJanitor posted:

So I'm gonna bring the conversation back to this and let you know that in Tera, it's democracy rule for groups. You can vote to kick anyone out of the party, including the party leader. It was completely unnecessary for the tank to leave. If you all felt the sorc was the problem you could have kicked him out.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
After awhile you get used to the Elins really. It is quite hilarious to tank giant BAMs as an Elin. What I find most offensive is Amani females though. Apparently forcing all the women into high heels wasn't enough, for a race with hooves they decided they need to chop away the back to give them high heel hooves. What kind of stupid sexist crap is that!

But they do look somewhat ok just the feet are really really distracting.

Alavaria posted:

Actually, this reminds me of something. Looking at the forums is confusing because this was something that is different between the NA and Korean versions of Tera. Namely, the hitbox normalization - I've seen people say either way on the whole "blocking hitbox" vs "being hit hitbox".

According to my understanding, these aren't the same, which makes sense, since blocking also depends on facing. But when they normalized the Elin/Popori "being hit" hitboxes to the size of humans/elves, they apparently did not do so to the "blocking" hitbox, which means there's an area ahove your head where you can be hit (in the air) but cannot block, because your hitbox for the blocking move does not go that high.

Can anyone with some experience with an Elin/popori (both were renormalized) tell me if you've experienced something like that?

There are some boss attacks like the sloth boss in BT and snake naga monsters who do jump hits and goes through my block even while facing them. From what I hear though, every tank has that issue regardless of race. Other than that I am able to block everything on my Elin Lancer.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Phosphia posted:

True, you will find a lot of 'sexualised' females in many other MMOs, but I have yet to find something else than Tera that also does it with males.
I must say, the High Elf male plate armor models are amazing to look at, really nice works of art, and not ridiculously bulky like say the Human ones.

The Castanic male "plate" armor is so fabulous. It's a pity that in groups the lancer/berserker is in the thick of it and I rather be 10m+ away so I don't get hit by AoEs when in an animation.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Velveteen posted:

After awhile you get used to the Elins really. It is quite hilarious to tank giant BAMs as an Elin. What I find most offensive is Amani females though. Apparently forcing all the women into high heels wasn't enough, for a race with hooves they decided they need to chop away the back to give them high heel hooves. What kind of stupid sexist crap is that!

But they do look somewhat ok just the feet are really really distracting.

There are some boss attacks like the sloth boss in BT and snake naga monsters who do jump hits and goes through my block even while facing them. From what I hear though, every tank has that issue regardless of race. Other than that I am able to block everything on my Elin Lancer.
Yeah, that one I think was a different issue, when mobs can hit you in the back though your shield. Something about the mob moving you, but their attack hitbox moves faster than you do, so at some point the attack hitbox intersects your "back being hit" hitbox and not the shield. Apparently with very steep attacks (like a mob stabbing downwards) an Elin etc does not have a block hitbox extending to the top of their being hit hitbox, so it smashes you. Though I daresay if you just moved back when you saw the tell, it would be less of an issue. (I want a berserker for farming.)

Mainly curious since apparently the way they did the animations for races like Elin/popori has them moving around more in various attacks and for elin in particular, having more range, despite smaller weapons.

---

When I was lower level my shoes were decently looking walking shoes with workable soles. Now all the high level blue shoes are, yep highheels. The type with really narrow heels (more like spikes, I think). Reminds me of one show where apparently the "female" gundam mecha thing actually had, you guessed it, highheels for feet.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Trihugger posted:

So I'm gonna bring the conversation back to this and let you know that in Tera, it's democracy rule for groups. You can vote to kick anyone out of the party, including the party leader. It was completely unnecessary for the tank to leave. If you all felt the sorc was the problem you could have kicked him out.

Does it pop up with the neutral 'A vote has been called to kick X' or calling you out with 'Player Y has started a vote to kick X'? The amount of drama saved by the former option is huge. And does the kickee get a message that they're being voted on, or do they only find out when they're booted?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Hey I just realised the OP is missing a very important picture!

In TERA you can be the King of Cattes. Play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Pierson posted:

Hey I just realised the OP is missing a very important picture!

-snip amazing image-

In TERA you can be the King of Cattes. Play it.
On that note - where did the bulldog smoking a pipe image go ?

Also, saw a Popori Slayer doing their jumping-with-sword animation. That one is the best.

I also noted that Elin berserkers seem to have an axe that does not shrink the axehead by much, but telescopes the whole handle into the axehead, so that it looks you have a massive chunk of metal on your back and then the handle just magically appears when you take it out. Think the same might be true for Popori, but because they are wider, it's not as obvious (same height though).

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 13, 2013

• Locked thread