Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

BobTheJanitor posted:

Does it pop up with the neutral 'A vote has been called to kick X' or calling you out with 'Player Y has started a vote to kick X'? The amount of drama saved by the former option is huge. And does the kickee get a message that they're being voted on, or do they only find out when they're booted?

It's the former but I don't know what the person getting kicked sees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Trihugger posted:

It's the former but I don't know what the person getting kicked sees.
We need to get together in a group and play the "can we guess who started a vote to kick me" game.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Velveteen posted:

After awhile you get used to the Elins really. It is quite hilarious to tank giant BAMs as an Elin. What I find most offensive is Amani females though. Apparently forcing all the women into high heels wasn't enough, for a race with hooves they decided they need to chop away the back to give them high heel hooves. What kind of stupid sexist crap is that!

But they do look somewhat ok just the feet are really really distracting.

There are some boss attacks like the sloth boss in BT and snake naga monsters who do jump hits and goes through my block even while facing them. From what I hear though, every tank has that issue regardless of race. Other than that I am able to block everything on my Elin Lancer.

Yeah those attacks that "reach behind" you while blocking sucks. Those are my #1 source of damage when I solo BAMs. Worst part is that I don't have a good read on when that is going to happen, since sometimes they would all of a sudden do a forward or diagnal movement followed up by an attack that I normally know I could block so I get hit. But sometimes, they don't move enough and I still can block.

Oh, does anyone have a issue where sometimes cross parry doesn't activate? I know that DFA and evasion can't be blocked out of, but I have had occasions when I finished a skill yet my cross parry is still not up despite my trying. Is this to do with lag?

Sorry for the slight derail, but does non-human or non-popori male character get somewhat "fully clothed" armor? I just find it really weird that my hulking Aman lancer have a armor that opens up in the middle, presumably to show off his great physique. Just feels bit off.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yep. At endgame you've got a decent mix of full armour and sexplate, unless you're a Castanic woman in which case enjoy your frostbite. Edit: Or you're a male Castanic/Aman in heavy armour, in which case you'll be showing everyone your HOT ABS.

Here is a link to a gallery of most of the sets in-game.

There are some stunning textures in there. Baraka in particular get some amazing armour that makes them look like mobile cathedrels.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 13, 2013

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

lethial posted:

Yeah those attacks that "reach behind" you while blocking sucks. Those are my #1 source of damage when I solo BAMs. Worst part is that I don't have a good read on when that is going to happen, since sometimes they would all of a sudden do a forward or diagnal movement followed up by an attack that I normally know I could block so I get hit. But sometimes, they don't move enough and I still can block.
When the mob is moving it's attack hitbox this problem might turn up. Not sure how, but I'm pretty sure when killing BAMs with friend lancers that the mob will do a red eye tell, they will block and it charges into their shield.

Next thing you know, they're on the ground, the mob has walked over them, and they've taken maybe 10% hp of damage. This was with human/castanic, not elin either, so it's just a general block/back & mob attack hitbox thing. Presumably if they were "better" it could be avoided by moving to the side or something but it's not at all trouble to just heal them and at least this way we can be sure they blocked the big charge, even if the trample still got them. (Actually eating the charge is 50% hp or something).

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 13, 2013

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Is there a wardrobe or transmuting option in Tera? So you can wear something you like the look of no matter it's level? Also, thinking about trying this out and wondering about transfer options. Worried about a PVP server with long queues, could I theoretically level up on a pve server and then transfer over to be with the goons? Or is ganking while leveling not much of a concern?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Eltoasto posted:

Is there a wardrobe or transmuting option in Tera? So you can wear something you like the look of no matter it's level?

Yes, and it's pretty simple, no hoops to jump through. There's an NPC in the main town, go talk to them, put the stat armor up top, the looks armor at the bottom, hit the button, done.

Something that might be worth noting in the OP, to get rid of the startup movies (and an MMO having startup movies is really dumb, what is wrong with these people?) Go to your Tera folder \Client\S1Game\CookedPC\Art_Data\Packages\Video and rename basically everything that starts with intro and the one that starts with Prologue to .bak or whatever and it will just load straight into the game.

No luck so far on finding a way to avoid typing in my email and password every single time I log in though. Which, in the world of keyloggers, is actually more of a security risk than just letting users save their login credentials locally.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

Is there a wardrobe or transmuting option in Tera? So you can wear something you like the look of no matter it's level? Also, thinking about trying this out and wondering about transfer options. Worried about a PVP server with long queues, could I theoretically level up on a pve server and then transfer over to be with the goons? Or is ganking while leveling not much of a concern?
Yes, it's called "templates". Everything below level 58 can be a template. But it has to be the same type of thing. So a plate chest piece can only look like another plate chest piece, and a staff must look like another staff.

Being ganked isn't too bad. Make sure to avoid channel 1 and in general the ones listed with high (or even medium) population. Or be in a group, gankers like easy kills that just walk to them and die, it seems.

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Eltoasto posted:

Getting ganked while leveling pretty much never happens if you bother to move channels out of channel one.
Queue times really depend one what timezone you're playing from as the biggest spikes in population are during prime time hours PST.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Eltoasto posted:

Yes but it's relatively expensive (Not so much that you can't do it, but more that it'll eat into your funds if you keep doing it a lot of times) and eats the armor you're taking the aesthetics from. Great once you hit 60 and/or get a full set of gear that you're satisfied with and don't feel like jumping into another gear grind.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Argas posted:

Yes but it's relatively expensive (Not so much that you can't do it, but more that it'll eat into your funds if you keep doing it a lot of times) and eats the armor you're taking the aesthetics from. Great once you hit 60 and/or get a full set of gear that you're satisfied with and don't feel like jumping into another gear grind.
I think now you can use a lot more of the random white/green gear you get while levelling. SO grab it off the AH and use it. Less need to use the expensive NPC templates.

Look on the item for "Eligible as template", this means you can use its looks !

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 13, 2013

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Pierson posted:

In TERA you can be the King of Cattes. Play it.

So much lost potential in this not being the thread title.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Pierson posted:

Yep. At endgame you've got a decent mix of full armour and sexplate, unless you're a Castanic woman in which case enjoy your frostbite. Edit: Or you're a male Castanic/Aman in heavy armour, in which case you'll be showing everyone your HOT ABS.

Here is a link to a gallery of most of the sets in-game.

There are some stunning textures in there. Baraka in particular get some amazing armour that makes them look like mobile cathedrels.

Oh wow! I completely didn't expect awesome and not too "sexy" armor from High Elves. drat, I need to level up my zerker. :P And you are right, Baraka looks amazing. Though just to be clear, we no longer have to worry about Baraka being too big thus having too big of a hit box right? I mean, they are HUGE...

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

GaylordButts posted:

So much lost potential in this not being the thread title.

I would have to agree with this being awesome at a pretty decent level. The current title is a little too much of an insider.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

lethial posted:

Oh wow! I completely didn't expect awesome and not too "sexy" armor from High Elves. drat, I need to level up my zerker. :P And you are right, Baraka looks amazing. Though just to be clear, we no longer have to worry about Baraka being too big thus having too big of a hit box right? I mean, they are HUGE...
If I am not mistaken, Baraka still have the same large hitbox, normalizing only means that the smaller hotboxes (Elin/Popori) became taller, now they are the same as Human/Elf/Amani/Castanic.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Alavaria posted:

If I am not mistaken, Baraka still have the same large hitbox, normalizing only means that the smaller hotboxes (Elin/Popori) became taller, now they are the same as Human/Elf/Amani/Castanic.

I thought both large and small hitboxes were pushed toward a middle variable. Do you have any source on this?

On a related note, do mind that lock-on skill are as they have always been. You'll get complains when playing an Elin Lancer.

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 13, 2013

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Phosphia posted:

On a related note, do mind that lock-on skill are as they have always been. You'll get complains when playing an Elin Lancer.

Elin tank and a couple fat rear end baraka melee DPS definitely is a pain in the rear end for the priest lock on heal. Trying to explain to people not to stand between the priest and the tank would be a silly exercise in futility though.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Phosphia posted:

I thought both large and small hitboxes were pushed toward a middle variable. Do you have any source on this?

No. Short of testing it, I wouldn't just go off whatever random person on the forum says. I think I saw a screenshot someone had taken where they had the game render the hitboxes, which are just rectangular boxes. It shows a human, elin and popori as having the same sized box, and a baraka with a larger one...

Lock ons, yeah, the taller the model, the taller the "lock on" hitbox is. I've compared by trying to use my targeted heal on random people.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Alavaria posted:

No. Short of testing it, I wouldn't just go off whatever random person on the forum says. I think I saw a screenshot someone had taken where they had the game render the hitboxes, which are just rectangular boxes. It shows a human, elin and popori as having the same sized box, and a baraka with a larger one...

Lock ons, yeah, the taller the model, the taller the "lock on" hitbox is. I've compared by trying to use my targeted heal on random people.

Ah, I see. Good to know. I have not had the time to test it myself.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Elin tank and a couple fat rear end baraka melee DPS definitely is a pain in the rear end for the priest lock on heal. Trying to explain to people not to stand between the priest and the tank would be a silly exercise in futility though.

I can only imagine the frustration..

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 13, 2013

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
I went about looking, there's people saying even after normalization there's still differences (female castanic & elin are small, baraka is big, popori and male castanic are medium) and then others saying it's all the same. Really confusing.

Of note though, if you're using elin in particular, your hitbox is not only taller than your model but also wider etc. So apparently if an AoE hits say a foot or so in front of you, you'll take damage.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

lethial posted:

Oh, does anyone have a issue where sometimes cross parry doesn't activate? I know that DFA and evasion can't be blocked out of, but I have had occasions when I finished a skill yet my cross parry is still not up despite my trying. Is this to do with lag?

Some attacks will not let you block out the animation. Some skills when you cast you are committed to, such as spring attack, wallop, challenging shout. I'm not sure about warrior I haven't played one after the blocking changes. Sometimes getting hit will stagger you stopping you from blocking for a short while leading you to more staggers and more hits and death. Sometimes block just doesn't register for some odd reason but you can just hit the block button again. Block is weird sometimes.

Phosphia posted:

No one has actually complained about my Lancer yet, but they might be silently seething behind their monitors.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Velveteen posted:

No one has actually complained about my Lancer yet, but they might be silently seething behind their monitors.
I've had cases where yeah, multiple melee dps all clustered about, but usually they are on the back of the BAM all trying to get that backstab.

I myself usually guess whereabout the tank is (if I can't see) and rapidly wave my crosshairs back and forth a bit. With multiplicative focused heal, hitting some of the others nearby isn't a problem (usually won't get aggro anyway) and AoE heals doesn't matter how tall you are.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Alavaria posted:

I went about looking, there's people saying even after normalization there's still differences (female castanic & elin are small, baraka is big, popori and male castanic are medium) and then others saying it's all the same. Really confusing.

Of note though, if you're using elin in particular, your hitbox is not only taller than your model but also wider etc. So apparently if an AoE hits say a foot or so in front of you, you'll take damage.

I've not been oblivious to the fact that they are not all of the same hitbox. They stated they would try to equalize best possible. I don't recall them saying how they would do it though. They havn't gone into reach though, that should still be as posted in the video in the other thread. Here.

But in all honesty, I don't mind that there is a difference between the races.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I'm playing with a friend of mine who normally mains priest, but is currently playing as a mystic. Her priest is level 60, and her mystic is 42, and she seems super frustrated with the class, claiming basically everything it does priest just does better. Any tips I can relay to her or general mystic guides for being effective and having fun? She spams heals and balls at us and keeps us alive and is doing her job fine, but I guess she feels she doesn't do anything else BEYOND that, other than spamming left clicks and the occasional power increase buff. Everything else is a super weak DPS that puts her in harm's way, or a pet that gets one-shotted. I've never played either so I don't really have much of a clue. If it matters, we're in a small group of her, our warrior friend, and myself as a lancer - we're pretty efficient and she keeps us alive really easily, and she's basically wondering "what the gently caress do i do when i'm not healing you guys? with priest it's really easy and obvious"

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 13, 2013

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I'm playing with a friend of mine who normally mains priest, but is currently playing as a mystic. Her priest is level 60, and her mystic is 42, and she seems super frustrated with the class, claiming basically everything it does priest just does better. Any tips I can relay to her or general mystic guides for being effective and having fun? She spams heals and balls at us and keeps us alive and is doing her job fine, but I guess she feels she doesn't do anything else BEYOND that, other than spamming left clicks and the occasional power increase buff. Everything else is a super weak DPS that puts her in harm's way, or a pet that gets one-shotted. I've never played either so I don't really have much of a clue. If it matters, we're in a small group of her, our warrior friend, and myself as a lancer.

I've not been playing it at a high level, but word has it the priest does indeed do everything better. The one thing the mystic has that the priest does not is the extra DPS buff. As a lancer, I don't really care if I have a priest or a mystic with me. The play styles are also very different.

I'd say place more balls. Balls are good. :hfive:

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 13, 2013

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010
Mystics are basically just really good for their crit aura, but apparently they are much harder to actually utilize in something like MC HM. A while back there was stuff in the Korean game files or something with new mystic totems like attack speed and crit resist reduction, but we haven't seen any of that here yet.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Phosphia posted:

But in all honesty, I don't mind that there is a difference between the races.
I don't really care. It's funny though, some pvpers are like: "You shouldn't choose race based on things like hitboxes" and "if you were a ~real~ pvper you wouldn't do this" then conclude with "that's why all hitboxes should be the same". It's hilarious.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Phosphia posted:

I've not been playing it at a high level, but word has it the priest does indeed do everything better. The one thing the mystic has that the priest does not is the extra DPS buff. As a lancer, I don't really care if I have a priest or a mystic with me. The play styles are also very different.

I'd say place more balls. Balls are good. :hfive:
Mana balls are where it's at. Between that and the crit aura, it becomes a lot easier to get through encounters that rely on DPS checks (more mana, more crit !). But there is a reason why they're referred to in the class forum as "candy droppers" and "walking crit aura". There's also the mana regen aura.

The priest in ktera is getting more support skill buffs, if I remember. Triple nemesis will always debuff endurance, energy starts having a greater range for giving the buff and I think even stronger buff that last longer from ES. Seems the Koreans have the opposite, they greatly prefer mystics to priests, for the same reasons we prefer priest to mystic. The priest heals more, the mystic has better dps buffs.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Alavaria posted:

I don't really care. It's funny though, some pvpers are like: "You shouldn't choose race based on things like hitboxes" and "if you were a ~real~ pvper you wouldn't do this" then conclude with "that's why all hitboxes should be the same". It's hilarious.

Yeah, saying 'you shouldn't play X because of hitboxes' is like saying 'you shouldn't play a human in WoW because of their racial'. Everyone plays a human in WoW because of their racial. Because it's objectively better.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.
I used to get upset about the way women were portrayed in this game...until I saw the men. Hooooooly poo poo, that's some beefy man burrito cheesecake right there. I'd almost want to roll a dude since I've never gotten to play the creepy "playing the other gender because I stare at their butt" card. We're all objectified here.

Also, I feel like a total loving idiot for not realizing the Elite bonuses weren't one-time only.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Small update; My friends have had it with creepiness from guild leader, so we've decided to leave it today.

Means I'll probably skip the TeamSpeak server thing since I don't have it installed. I'll make sure to copy it so I still have it though, if someone can think of something funny to do with it.

I don't want a goon-rush though, because I still think some of the guild members are genuinely nice and non-creepy.

We'll probably just try some other guild, unless someone has an idea that proves more funny.

EDIT: I don't regret anything, because I laughed so hard at certain points of this guild, it was totally worth it.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Seriously just join DGKK. Everyone is pretty chill.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I would, but we're playing on a different server. Is changing of servers that easy to do?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Are you level 40, not in a guild and do you have less than 10k gold? Then yes you can transfer from anything to anywhere. VoT restrictions are even less severe.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Thanks for the invite to DGKK last night. Looking forward to sorcerin' it up with some bros.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

KaneTW posted:

Are you level 40, not in a guild and do you have less than 10k gold? Then yes you can transfer from anything to anywhere. VoT restrictions are even less severe.

Well...

I'm almost level 30, gonna drop the guild anyway and I have less than 100 gold. So welp. :v:

The level thing is the problem or just better?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Yeah, it's a hard restriction. In any case, you can either level to 40 or reroll on MT.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Hmm... This thingie is saying level 20 is the restriction tho.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Huh. Looks like they loosened the restriction. Try it and see if it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Bag of Hamsters posted:

I used to get upset about the way women were portrayed in this game...until I saw the men. Hooooooly poo poo, that's some beefy man burrito cheesecake right there. I'd almost want to roll a dude since I've never gotten to play the creepy "playing the other gender because I stare at their butt" card. We're all objectified here.

Also, I feel like a total loving idiot for not realizing the Elite bonuses weren't one-time only.
The high elf males seem to lean towards fabulous rather than beefcake, but yeah - Amani and their dislike of pants :v:

• Locked thread