Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lethial
Apr 29, 2009
I am not too bothered by the chats neither. Though I am annoyed that sometimes I miss the more important stuff (like guild chat or someone LFG for the same thing that I am doing). That and it seems that there is no escaping the annoying chats since it seems that people can and will crap up any channel being it area or LFG or Global...

Edit: on the topic of leveling, I heard that it is not optimal at all to do quest in zones, right?

I am bit of a completionist, so I tend to do every quest... Is there any perks for doing that?

lethial fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Phosphia posted:

Well, there is nothing wrong with doing every single quest. You do however have an advantage if you know when you can skip one and when you can not, by following the story quests.

Do however stay far away from repeatables and "proof of kill" quests, if they are even still in the game.

Oh dear... I have been trying to do every quest, even if I have out leveled them... I figured XP is XP right? (I strongly suspect that this is not the case, maybe I should just grind...)

On another note, while leveling up, I find that I have to stay in defensive mode most of the time for BAM soloing. I read that warriors should actually stay in assult stance for that, but w/o any self heals, I often find myself needing to bandage or drink potion due to damages that I almost always will have sustained... I am sure my inexperience has something to do with it, or maybe gear?

Is it recommended or time efficient to solo even level BAMs?

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Velveteen posted:

After awhile you get used to the Elins really. It is quite hilarious to tank giant BAMs as an Elin. What I find most offensive is Amani females though. Apparently forcing all the women into high heels wasn't enough, for a race with hooves they decided they need to chop away the back to give them high heel hooves. What kind of stupid sexist crap is that!

But they do look somewhat ok just the feet are really really distracting.

There are some boss attacks like the sloth boss in BT and snake naga monsters who do jump hits and goes through my block even while facing them. From what I hear though, every tank has that issue regardless of race. Other than that I am able to block everything on my Elin Lancer.

Yeah those attacks that "reach behind" you while blocking sucks. Those are my #1 source of damage when I solo BAMs. Worst part is that I don't have a good read on when that is going to happen, since sometimes they would all of a sudden do a forward or diagnal movement followed up by an attack that I normally know I could block so I get hit. But sometimes, they don't move enough and I still can block.

Oh, does anyone have a issue where sometimes cross parry doesn't activate? I know that DFA and evasion can't be blocked out of, but I have had occasions when I finished a skill yet my cross parry is still not up despite my trying. Is this to do with lag?

Sorry for the slight derail, but does non-human or non-popori male character get somewhat "fully clothed" armor? I just find it really weird that my hulking Aman lancer have a armor that opens up in the middle, presumably to show off his great physique. Just feels bit off.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Pierson posted:

Yep. At endgame you've got a decent mix of full armour and sexplate, unless you're a Castanic woman in which case enjoy your frostbite. Edit: Or you're a male Castanic/Aman in heavy armour, in which case you'll be showing everyone your HOT ABS.

Here is a link to a gallery of most of the sets in-game.

There are some stunning textures in there. Baraka in particular get some amazing armour that makes them look like mobile cathedrels.

Oh wow! I completely didn't expect awesome and not too "sexy" armor from High Elves. drat, I need to level up my zerker. :P And you are right, Baraka looks amazing. Though just to be clear, we no longer have to worry about Baraka being too big thus having too big of a hit box right? I mean, they are HUGE...

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Alavaria posted:

This is one of the reasons (as well as not moving the mob) why you might want to tank with your back against something immoveable. Not rotating the mob is also a plus. (If it walks over you and turns around, your DPS are now right in front of it instead of behind ... for melee DPS, welp)

I have brought up an issue I had with this in the previous thread. But here is the issue I seem to get when I try to get myself back up against a wall: I get into situation where my whole view is taken up by the BAM and I can't see a thing, needless to say I miss all the tells.

I think it is because in those cases, I am somewhat under the BAM and my camera can't decide what zoom level to use, so my view is literally akin to having the BAM sit on my face and the only thing that I can see is the texture of its butt...

This is not a FOV issue either. :/

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Velveteen posted:

It depends on the walls, some are see through, while some zooms you in on crotch. Its all trial and error to see which walls are tankable at. If there isn't a choice you'll just have to tank by sound.

Oh wow! I was wondering about why some walls can be seen through, I thought it was because of some of my display setting that is causing it... This is good to know, thanks! By sound? Hmmm I need to jack up the audio level of the game...

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Actually, what are those non-BAM but still have special icon mobs? They usually look just like regular mobs but hits harder and have more HP. I never had any issues with fighting them (though never for a quest or anything). But for the first time, in Essenia (sp?) zone, I fought a pair of mantid looking things that I actually thought was somewhat tougher than soloing BAMs in that zone.

I mean, soloing BAMs in the zone takes much longer and more risky, but I usually can avoid or mitigate too much damage. But those mantids... They attack so fast so that every time I attack, I end up having my health taken away... Couple potions later I finally killed them, and ofc they dropped nothing...

What are those things?

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

If you're in the right level for some of those named monsters, they'll drop cool stuff like exp boost orbs or blue and green items. I grinded a level or so off of the Hyena one in Colossal Ruins and made a couple hundred gold in drops in under an hour.

Err... really!? Right level? Do I have to be within some level range to those named mobs?

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Alkanos posted:

You shouldn't be soloing BAMs for the XP or loot. Grouping for them, or just doing regular quests will get you faster XP and probably more loot. It's also a shitload faster.

You should be soloing BAMs because it's fun as hell.

You're fighting an enemy that's been designed to fought by a bunch of people, and it shows in how much damage it does and takes. It's exhilarating knowing that if the mob gets a couple hits on you, you're toast. They're bigger and stronger, and yet you can avoid all of their clumsy attacks and manage to still smack them around. Then they enrage and the attacks aren't as clumsy anymore so it takes everything you have just to stay alive.

Until you can predict what the BAM's going to do, you're going to die. It's going to be at 10% HP and get a lucky hit in. It'll randomly decide to walk through you and stunlock you to death. The fight will move into another BAM's path, giving you two angry behemoths to fight. You'll lose crystals, time, and money spent on consumables for little gain.

If that's not your kind of thing, just group the quests or skip them altogether. They're rarely storyline quests so there's no harm in moving on to the next quest. But if that sounds right up your alley, you'll have trouble going back to the regular mobs.

(Disclaimer: There's nothing fun about soloing BAMs as a Priest or Mystic. You'll die of boredom before the mob's at half health.)

Yeah. Also, it can be a little addicting... I got brave enough with soloing BAMs starting in that desert zone, and while frustrating a lot of times (esp. when that archer pks you just as you are about to down a BAM) the experience is very exhilarating. I don't dare try to solo the special ones like ones for guild quests though... Since for those things, if I mess up just once I am done, that or I have to spend a lot of time running around so that I can bandage...

I also love the design of the BAMs that I have seen. I esp. "liked" the one in the desert that has little flower looking thing that pokes out of the sand. I mistook it for a regular named mob once and I was "pleasantly" surprised... :P

On another note, at around what level do we start to really accumlate gold? Judging by the LFG channel, higher end equipments are like 20k-30k at a minimum... I can't imaging ever saving up that much gold...

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

KaneTW posted:

Torrent of Blows is pretty much the best taunt you can ever wish for and I'm easily holding aggro against people in full +12 with my t14+9 swords whereas most lancers in t14+9 can't hold aggro against my t14+12 slayer.
And then Warriors have better debuffs, more mobility, 3 invuln abilities, 2 shadows (one of which is a huge aoe taunt as well). Only thing I want is something like Second Wind and a ranged attack.

E: I mean seriously I tanked FOKHM before we got a block, if you wish Warrior tanking be made even more easier then I don't know what to say.

Yeah, I think the biggest issue that I have is the need to change mindset between tanking and move everywhere while soloing BAM, that and remembering that I need to switch out my bars...

3 invuln? Are they DFA, backstab and evasive roll? Do you even use backstab or later on Staggering Counter when you tank? It just seem that both of those moves will make you mess up the positioning for other people in the party.

About using rising fury. How the heck do you use it to move around a big BAM like Fangspawn (sp?) that thing has a huge hitbox...

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

KaneTW posted:

We've got our first J4G :toot:

What is a J4G?

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Oh... I did't know that was a thing... I thought it was a secret code for something like all guilds on the server declared war on us. Or that we are in a pack of alliance with 4 guilds or something...

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Thievery posted:

So i'm level 33 at the minute and am questing in Pora Elinu (kill me) but I am just aimlessly following my story quests to the zones it tells me to go to. I noticed that I have unlocked a buttload of new flight paths when I hit 30 - Can I just go to these places and begin questing there too, or is it recommended to follow the story?

While I agree that following the story is very much recommended, I was one of those that just did all the quests, and "wasted time" doing dungeon runs and really wasted a lot of time soloing BAMs during my later levels. Certainly not efficient in term of xp/hour. But I enjoyed the journey. By the time that I hit the level 52 grind, I was well on the way to 57 and couple sky garden runs later I was 57 and before I knew it I got to 58.

So the level 52 grind wasn't much of a grind for me. In fact what really felt like a "grind" was level 58 -60, since I erraneously thought that at that point I should just only focus on the story quests, and barely do any other quests that are around the story quests' areas. So I ended up had to back track a lot to hunt down the quests that I needed to get to level 59 to unlock more story quests.

So depends on your game play preference and your class.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Oh I didn't mean that I actually grinded (aka. killing mobs w/o quests endlessly) I just rushed through and only did the story quests and nothing else and thought that I'd get enough xp to get to 60. :ohdear: So by "grinding" I really meant that I had to go back to all the hubs with yellow quests and redo them all, and sometimes forgetting where the quest givers are :(

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Velveteen posted:

I recorded one run awhile back. I didn't need to shout because DPS did pathetic damage without crits!

First of all, sorry about the suckage of staying alive on cof last night. :( (honestly though, I had the weirdest lag yesterday, I tested things out after we were done with the run and I could most definitely evade out of a lot of my chain attacks that I apparently couldn't during the run... I don't usually spam the evade button to conserve res...) Will do better for sure next time.

But my question is how do you actually know what your dps is? For that matter where is the ping indicator?

@ syrek: was it just yesterday? Because if it is, I am pretty sure it is something on their end. I had abnormally long load time and quite a bit of lag spikes all throughout the night yesterday, and it wasn't like this the days before, even during Nexus time...

I don't want to derail the thread into Elin talk, but I am curious, there are actually things censored in the US version? I certainly can't imagine that...

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Eigo posted:

You see ping by mousing over the clock/FPS counter if you have it enabled. As for DPS, you basically only get to guess; stealing aggro more often might be a sign, but that is also "how lucky is that guy with crits today."

For censoring, they gave them this weird undergarment for their stomach on stuff that isn't swimsuits, and put shorts instead of underwear on all their armors. Latter isn't really that jarring to look at, but the former has always looked out of place but is mostly an issue with cloth armor.

Thanks for the explanation. I never imagined pulling agro would be a good thing though... I guess I am safe even if I get super gears since warriors don't crit like other dps classes.

I never actually taken a loser look at Elin characters, so thanks for the explanation on that too.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Velveteen posted:

After running ACHM again I realized how much I hate that place. So I was thinking of setting up a MCNM run in the future for our more geared members!

Watch and be prepared!

What is the recommended gear requirement for that place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

KaneTW posted:

Full T14+12 team for the last 20% of last boss to minimize chance of failure. T13+9-T14+9 for rest.

Ouch, hmmm I barely got some regent stuff, but don't have enough enchant fodder or MES to enchant and/or MW them yet...

Is anyone in guild that is selling t14 fodder? Or for that matter, dire badges and talents?

• Locked thread