Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I guess I'll stain my soul with this vile piece of poo poo game now that it's on Steam :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Okay I like this game pretty well so far, it's amazing how blatantly Neverwinter ripped off just about all the combat mechanics and features from Tera only the action isn't nearly as well implemented. I.e. this game is more fun to play. I also like that they didn't model everything in excessive polygonal detail so it runs a lot more smoothly. Is there a way to get things from the cash shop with ingame money?

I admire the Aman for their clear ponytail superiority.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Depends on the item. Some of them are available for sale via trading with other players or selling on the brokerage, some are available via seasonal events, others aren't available at all.

Mainly I'm thinking about additional character slots, but I'm enjoying this enough that there is a chance I might put money in for that purpose I guess. Castanic Gunner is really making me grin and laugh out loud, the first time I triggered Burst Fire I about wet my pants. For the other slot I made an Aman Mystic so I can have gigantic ponytail which is a big deal for me :iamafag:

e: Seriously it's like the designers of Neverwinter looked at Tera and said "Okay these features are pretty great but they're way too fun, let's remove about 50% of the fun and start from there."

e:Oh dear look at that a free character slot. Thanks game!

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 18, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

For my third character slot I went with a high elf warrior because I enjoy being terrible at things. Also she rides sidesaddle :3:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Why are there no gold spammers in this game, that's creeping me out somewhat. Obviously the game is thriving, obviously there are people farming gold and selling it for real money, but I didn't see any advertisements ingame at all, what's up with that. In Neverwinter/Swordsman e.g. all forms of public chat are practically unusable because they're so littered with gibberish spam.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

battle posted:

well it's becuse you can trade gametime and other stuff for in-game currency, they did the smart thing VERY early in the game by adding ability to trade game time for gold, the gold spammers vanished within a few weeks of them adding that option.

I don't think it's that simple, Neverwinter has dozens of items that can be bought for real cash and traded for ingame money and they don't have a subscription option at all. Also I see a lot of websites purporting to sell Tera gold, at least a few of them are probably phishing sites? NB: I am absolutely not interested at all in buying the poo poo I'm just thinking Tera's managed better and actively chases the spammers out of chat :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dudes this game is fun :ohdear:

So apparently extra character slots is a token that is tradeable and people sell them on brokerage, fyi. At ~5900 gold I guess that will take me "some time" to gather. I am a huge fag for having a lot of characters to dress up so it's a worthy goal for me.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I applied to NFA with my characters, ready to be stripped ganked and kicked

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

So I did the first dungeon with my Mystic and a bunch of random people who had queued, and we didn't have a proper tank but it still went very well with me just kinda trying to throw some healing here and there and trying not to get lost. One of the 3 gunners did die once on the first boss but other than that everyone stayed up. I have no idea how to keep track of people without target selection and following, when everyone's bouncing and rolling around the room like a bunch of fruits but it was fun anyway.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The key to not being annoyed by unexpected/undesired PVP attack when you're just trying to collect a few bear asses: don't bother to run. Just stop moving, take your hands off the keyboard and watch what happens. A) it's over quicker, b) you care about it less and c) you might learn something about how that person at least plays pvp. I mean if you want to fight go for it whatever. I actually have been killed a few times when in channels other than 1 but people really do just hang out around Lumbertown flipping through channels looking for newbies to kill.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Bacontotem posted:

I've been ganked multiple times because <Futa Funhouse> has the non-title guild title of Burn All Elin. It's been worth it every time.

That is something worth dying for I think yes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Really if an unexpected fight starts just take your hands away and watch a few times, it's a good way to get past that feeling.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Golly gee willickers this game is swell :iamafag:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

In the past couple of days playing my mystic, yeah apparently almost everyone is really terrible at this game, me included Basically if you have a tank or support/healer in the team:
- Stop dodging/blocking
- Herd as many monsters together as you can
- Ignore any healing pickups on the ground
- Avoid using any of your crowd control/debuff abilities (seriously I never ever see all the newbie gunners using time bomb/electric stun thingy)
- Run directly away from anyone dumb enough to try to buff you or heal you directly
- When you wipe on the first group of trash, disband

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's really refreshing to find an online RPG that does not make you crawl 5 miles over broken glass on your nutsack in order to change the configuration of your powers. Am I missing anything or is there just no cost or cooldown for changing your glyphs? It's also really nice to find a massively multiplayer game that is actually MASSIVE, wow there is so much open space and all the world map regions have such tremendous scope and scale. I spent some time leveling my mystic just from queueing for dungeons (never any wait for healer/support which was nice) and I had all these stacks of sidequest bullshit to turn in and it took a lot of exploration to figure out where the actual mission givers are. For all that Neverwinter apes Tera's gameplay, Neverwinter's maps are 100% linear self-contained zones that are not connected at all, just points on a map interface.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Obscurity posted:

My Gunner is currently 33~ and I am having a blast playing it. I just solo'd Sinestral Manor at like 29~ so that's cool. Haven't played TERA in 3 years so this is a welcome come back in my opinion. How does Reaper feel? I was thinking about trying it once I got Gunner leveled up.

I also have a gunner and warrior in their low 30s and while the gunner is just hilariously easy, the warrior sure is a lot of fun to play :allears:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Your posts are making me want to try this terrible game. :negative:

This is a genuinely great game in a whole bunch of different ways, try it! You don't have the mix and match aspects of playing with your costume that you might expect from COH/Champions but wow some of the armors and costumes looks loving MAGNIFICENT. The action is great and there's a real sense of enormity to the world, while there technically are "zones" (areas separated by griffon flights) they're so big they really don't feel that way at all.

e: also every time I log in and get the splash screens I think "huhuhuh butthole studio huhuh"

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 22, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Protip for new people: if you think crafting is dumb (I do) pick up all the crafting bullshit and then put it on brokerage (the auction system). Playing for ~3 days and I realized I have no interest at all in the crafting system so I sold all my rubbish I'd been hoarding and oops I have 700 gold. I like the little cha-ching sound when a brokerage sale goes through.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

WarLocke posted:

This stupid game is downloading on Steam. I hate you people.

Is there a breakdown of how different classes play and what race to be to not have boob window armor or whatever?

Aman are the least cheesecake but yes you are going about this the wrong way

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They're scantily clad but in a classy way that I don't feel is terribly cheesecake :iamafag:

I spent some time writing a guide on how to play a warrior I hope you like it and it helps you.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Obscurity posted:

Anyone else's game randomly crash or give you exception errors? Especially after a logout, but sometimes in game? Ugh.

I did when I first installed but then I updated my video drivers and that stopped.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well I frequently get a dialog complaining of an exception after logging out too but that doesn't bother me I guess :shrug: It doesn't seem to actually matter, it's just a dialog.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The questing is really standard MMO bear rear end collection but it feels like it's mainly there to get you to go explore the world map, which is loving ridiculously awesome. I haven't actually seen a big world that is this genuinely interesting to go explore in, well, I never have actually. Anarchy Online had some of this feeling for me when it was new, and later when the Shadowlands expansion was released, but Tera's world is so loving big and diverse. It doesn't feel like Bethesda's type of huge open world map, where you can tell quite a lot of elements were procedurally placed and the architecture all has a pretty generic feel to it, poo poo is just vastly different when you go to different towns. I just did the entry flight to the High Elf city Somethingalalthealythaghg whatever and I was :allears: through the whole thing. And then you land and you realize it's all walkable, it isn't just a bitmap in the background.

Monomythian posted:

But even if you only do the story quests and dungeons, you still have to do a ridiculously amount of back and forth running. The amount of times I have had to make a 15 minute trip back and forth to Allemanthia, through numerous load screens, flights, and teleporters just to relay some message to an npc to progress the story was infuriating. Not to mention the amount of times I repeat a dungeon because I didn't talk to precisely the right npc/boss kill in order of the story.

It just boggles my mind why they phoned in questing so hard when everything else was so fresh.

Yes but that's all pretty optional isn't it? From what I can tell the real reward for low/mid level questing is having a large list of words you can have floating over your head. Which is something I'm totally on board with because I'm enjoying the exploration aspect anyway, but yeah I wouldn't do it all again for every character I make in the future.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 22, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If you're brand new and being ultimate max level kill machine guy is not your highest priority, take some time and go try some quests anyway, Tera is an amazing tourism experience. If you're the kind of weirdo that would turn off XP in City of Heroes or whatever so you could get all the badges then this is the game for you.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There's "No Fun Allowed" and apparently another guild with almost the same name, so be careful I guess.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Are there any class(es) that are, for lack of a better term, 'simpler' to play/learn the game with for a total newbie?

I do tend to prefer caster types, it seems like Mystics have pets and aura/buff stuff while Priests are straight-up 'beat guys down with staff and heal dudes'?

DPS is the simplest role, and ranged is simpler than melee, so try sorcerer/archer/gunner. Support is pretty hard to play well in this game but maybe Priest is easier than Mystic (what I play).

chumbler posted:

mystics are just kind of boring.

I don't disagree with this, although they're pretty great at making other people more efficient.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 23, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm sure most of them are glad they have a tank at all.

e: Why is the Mystic direct heal so janky? I have a lot of problems getting it to fire even on someone standing right next to me. Lock on -> nothing, whether I left mouse button or hit the skill hotkey for the second action.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 24, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I was hoping they had something like this, cool.

AzureSkys posted:

Blast from the Past was removed in this last update, sadly.

Permanently?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

WarLocke posted:

I really like the idea behind Mystic healing. Just poop out balls all over and let people run over and pacman it up when they get hurt...

The best thing about Mystic is that almost nobody is bright enough to actually pick up the heal balls, it's just astounding how dumb people are.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I would say about 20% of people I've teamed with up to level 50 have ever broken off DPS/tanking and picked up a heal ball when they were in trouble. Keep in mind the smart ones probably didn't need that much healing in the first place so this is weighted towards the dumb ones, and also this is only to level 50 so it's entirely possible most of these people have only been playing for a couple of days. Also a bunch of people playing apparently don't understand English because whenever I'd say something like "hey guys pick up the heal balls or you might die" never got a response.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The travel thing doesn't bother me too much but then I'm new and a large part of what I like about the game is the tourism aspect.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

WarLocke posted:

I'm new too (I finally got past te Lumbertown bit and just moved on to the 15-20 zone northeast of it) but so far the only 'tourism' I've noticed is admiring the (admittedly gorgeous) scenery. There doesn't seem to be any hidden easter eggs or weird little nooks off the beaten path - every area so far has been a network of paths with some off-road area to the sides but otherwise linear. Am I missing something?

Where you are now is basically redneck lumbjerack area (hence the name). Be sure to pan the camera around while flying into and out of regions because there are tons of odd points of interest with their own special architecture. If you just powerlevel to 65 through whatever is the most efficient method you'll never see most of this stuff, but the quest lines take you to most of them (at least to where I am at 50). The odd thing right now with the double xp event going on is that you're always going to be outleveling the quest branches.

Once while leaving an area on a pegasus flight I looked back and some loving gigantic flying fish/airship thing was coming up on the town I had just left. In scale I would say it was around 150 meters long. What the gently caress.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

One of my characters got a permanent "Teleport to Elfsville" power with an hour long cooldown, where did that come from? The character is high elf but I don't think it's racial?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

So yes you're probably better off on the EU server.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

https://www.google.com/search?q=gameforge+horror+stories&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=gameforge+sucks

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

For a dumb titty elf game this is pretty endearing :allears:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

As mentioned several times over the last few pages, most goons are in either Dragon God Knight Kings, or No Fun Allowed (the latter is more active).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Pro tip, if the person listing the item is online then their name will be white instead of gray, and you can bother them about their overpriced lame bullshit item in real time.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The tone of the game sure shifts dramatically past level 57. Up to that point everything's pretty beer&pretzels but wow gently caress that Labyrinth of Fear dungeon.

e: Also choosing a Mystic as my first character was a grave error of hubris

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Vermain posted:

Mystic is the greatest class and summoning Thrall of Wrath to absolutely smoke whatever you're fighting is the best feeling in the game.

Yeah Wrath is pretty good for a 10 minute cooldown power. A lot of my problem is with the lock-on heal, but after working with it and the lock-on curse quite a bit, the trick seems to be to start the lock-on, pan the camera around a lot, not too fast, and hope somebody behind the scrum of monsters got tagged, and then fire it. It is just janky as gently caress.

• Locked thread