Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

NA TERA website
Don't play on EU. The European publisher is pretty bad and most Goons play on NA anyway. Playing on NA from EU works very well, even in PVP, even with 200 ms ping!

Don't be in channel 1. Don't be in channel 1. Don't be in channel 1.

:frogsiren:Goon Guilds:frogsiren:
There is only one goon guild right now, and that's Dragongod Knightkings. We're on Mount Tyrannas, a PVP server.
Most of us hang out in IRC at irc.synirc.net in #tera
To apply, go 'Guilds on Server' under 'Social' and push button. Put something like 'SA: <name>' in the application field.
If you've been kicked out, that's because the guild is full and you were inactive. Reapply with your SA name and we'll let you back in.
There's also the /v/ guild No Fun Allowed where a bunch of goons including me play. They're usually more active, but DGKK has been a bit less dead since Gunner was released.

What is this game?
TERA is a free-to-play fantasy MMORPG made by the Korean developer Bluehole Studios and published by En Masse in NA and Frogster in EU. It's distinguishing feature is its action based combat. Unlike other MMOs such as WoW, Rift or GW2, TERA has a combat system more similar to that of Monster Hunter or Dark Souls.

Combat
Aiming
The basics are simple: move your mouse to put your crosshairs over the thing you want to destroy. When you're aiming at someone, your crosshair reticle changes to a circle as soon as you're close enough to the target to use your long-range skills. Your crosshairs will also show the range to the target, which will help you gauge when to fire off what skills. If you're a twitchy FPS player, you may want to speed up your camera for faster aiming. Easily done: hit O to open the Options dialog, and find the Camera Speed slider under Mouse. Moving the slider left slows the camera's movement down. Moving right speeds it up.

Lock-On Skills
There are skills in TERA that lock onto targets, but it's not as simple as fire and forget. First, you have to get into range. Second, you have to "paint" your targets. To do that, hit the skill button once. That puts you in targeting mode. Then swing your crosshairs over each enemy (or friend; some buffs are lock-ons) to paint them. Valid targets will highlight, and stay highlighted unless they move out of range. Once you've highlighted as many targets as you can, hit the skill button again to fire it off.

Charge-Up Skills
Some skills do more damage or run longer the longer you hold down the skill button. You'll see a charging bar on your screen: green for low power, yellow for high, and red for full blast. On charged skills you can choose how fast your attack will be and how much MP to spend. Be aware that you may not be able to move when charging, and check your skills when you level - some charged skills gain more charge levels or faster movement at higher levels. And remember, your targets may move while you're charging. Practice anticipating where they'll be when you let fly.

Skill Chaining
Skill chains are a way to speed access to your most-used combos. When you fire a skill, you may see another skill icon appear next to your crosshairs. That's a chained skill. You can trigger it just by hitting the spacebar. A chained skill can also have skills chained to it. You can even create loops. This isn't a macro; you still have to aim things, but if you come up with a great combo (attack-snare-evade-stun) you can make it easy to get it off even in the thickest combat. Many skills have their own default chains, but if you prefer different ones, click the Chain skill button at the bottom of your Skills dialog and design your own.

Classes
There are 8 classes in TERA: 2 Healer classes, Priests and Mystics; 1 dedicated Tank class, Lancers; 1 hybrid DPS/Tank class, Warriors; and 4 pure DPS classes, Slayers, Sorcerers, Archers, and Berserkers.

Plate classes
Lancer
A slow block-based tank class, Lancers are generally easier to tank with, though they don't have quite the aggro generation Warriors have. If you just want to tank, roll this class.

Berserkers
Mashing your foe's face in with a huge axe, Berserkers are a quite powerful DPS class with charge-up attacks, slow movement and a block.

Gunner
Blow things the gently caress up. <more words later>

Leather classes
Warrior
Warriors are a very agile, dodging, high attack speed class wielding Twin Swords that can both tank and sustained DPS. They're one of the hardest classes to play, but are also very powerful in the hands of a good player. Evasion skills include Backstab and a dodgeroll, plus they get to block like lancers in tank mode.

Slayer
If you like the idea of wielding a 3 meter greatsword and impaling people on it (while still rolling like you're naked), then Slayer is for you. Most of their attacks are rather slow, though not as slow as Berserker's. Their damage is very bursty, with our main damage skills having a cooldown reset proc and whatnot.

Archer
Being the only ranged leather class, Archers bring a bow and charge-up attacks to battle. They're considered rather good in group PVP, but are a very hard class to play well (which leads to a bad reputation amongst players). The only leather class that can't dodgeroll, only backstep.

Cloth classes
All cloth classes have a backstep, plus Sorcs and Mystics have a teleport.
Sorcerer
Sorcs are a reasonably easy to play class with several nukes and slow attack speed until 48, and burst attacks after that. Generally preferred over Archers, but roll whatever you like.

Priest
Priests bring long-duration buffs and strong heals to the table. Nearly invulnerable in PVP, and are easier to heal with than Mystics.

Mystic
If you want to double the crit rate of party members and bring strong MP regen auras, play a Mystic. They have generally weaker heals, but the auras make up for it. Levelling them is a pain though, so be warned.

Reaper
<words about reapers>

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Oh my god there are 2000 people in queue I won't get in this game sucks
Currently Mount Tyrannas is pretty loaded. If you just want to try the game out, roll a character on one of the less populated servers, then reroll or transfer to MT (note: I have no idea how transfers work, but this is definitely better than waiting in queue for ages)

But I'm special and don't wanna sit in a queue for MT!!
Try to find a boxed copy. It will give you Founder status and one month of Elite subscription. Founder status alone is enough to skip queues completely.

Why is the server lagging so much? I can't play at all.
At specific times (noon and 7PM PST, more below) an event called Nexus starts. Due to the huge amount of 60s returning, the servers are getting extremely overloaded during that and the game becomes nigh unplayable. Not much you can do about that except go do something else for an hour.

What do purple nameplates mean and what's the deal with the red arrow over that dude's head?
If someone is engaged in a Guild vs. Guild war with any other guild, their name becomes purple. And if he's actually a valid target for your guild, then he gets a red arrow.
By Velveteen:
There has been a recent giant rush of goons coming back to the game I've decide to make a FAQ for those who just started or is thinking of starting. I hope it helps!

Q: I don't know what class to play! Is there an OP class I can pick?
A: There is no OP class. The only way to know what you like to play is to try them all out. Every class has their own advantages and disadvantages and their play styles varies greatly. I would advise at least trying them out before committing to one and finding out down the line you don't like them. Lancer and warriors can tank. Archer and sorcerer are ranged dps. Slayer, berserker, and warrior are melee dps. Mystic and priest are healers. There is very little difference in power for these classes so just play what you like.

Q: I picked my class what about races? Do racials make a difference? What about race size and hitbox?
A: Racials make very little difference. They are usually on hour long cooldowns or so insignificant that you never notice them at all. Hitboxes for races are standardized. This means a Baraka and an Elin are equal. Reach differs depending on race but honestly I don't think there is enough of a difference to choose a race on.

Q: Uh those Elins look kinda...
A: Yes we know we don't talk about them here.

Q: How do I play with Goons?
A: There are a lot of us on the PvP server. I'm not sure about the PvE server but for PvP just send an application to DGKK and put in something about being a goon. You can whisper people but just put in an application and someone will accept it when they come online, even if you're offline. You can do that by opening the guilds on server list finding our guild on the list and click send in an application like shown below.

Q: I keep dying! My mana is dry! Help me!
A: Dodge or block! This is an action game don't just stand there. If you are dying you can buy some regen crystals. They're cheap from any specialty or crystal vendor and will help you tremendously while leveling. Mana regeneration crystals can also combat slayer and berserker mana decay. White weapon/armor have two slots while green/blues have three slots and gold weapons have four slots. Remember you are about to switch out or remove crystals when out of combat. Don't forget to take out crystals when upgrading your gear.

Q: A basilisk kicked my butt what happened?
A: That is a BAM. They can be challenging to solo but satisfying when you do. BAMs stand for big rear end monsters and are meant to be tackled in a group. All classes are able to solo them, however some can do them easier than others.

Q: I have this bar under my mana bar whats going on? Why can't I block?
A: Warriors and Lancers get a new bar called Resolve. This will manage how much you can block or dodge.

Q: Some jerk just killed me! I'm a giant carebear and don't like PvP!
A: I'm a carebear too. Outside of low level lumbertown areas there aren't much high levels ganking you. If you are getting picked you can switch to another channel. Most gankers hang around in channel 1 because thats where the majority of the players are. You can do this by selecting the channel in the top right of your screen.

Q: I love PvP! I love stomping faces
A: You'll be glad to know that there are GvG and battlegrounds in this game. GvG occurs when a guild declares war on another guild and you can fight anyone from an opposing guild with no consequences. This usually means lower levels will get camped by high levels. You can gain credits and reputation in battlegrounds to buy gear and other items. You can also go outlaw at anytime letting you kill anyone outside of your own guild.

Q: How do I do a dungeon? Whats the cooldown for them?
A: You can access the dungeon finder by clicking the button by your radar or by opening the LFG button by pressing Y. You are able to choose the instance you want and queue for it by matching you up with random people across servers. For reset timers check here http://support.enmasse.com/tera/how-long-is-the-dungeon-lockout-period

Q: What is this nexus thing I keep hearing about?
A: Nexus is a world event that occurs everyday at noon and 7PM PST. During that time nexus portals will open up around Helkan District and Val Kaeli and monsters spawn out of them. Everyone goes and kill stuff until they are all closed where a raid will open.

Q: What is enchanting gear?
A: You can enchant gear by pressing the T button. Make sure to get off your mount first as it doesn't work when mounted. Here you load the item you want to enchant along with alkahest equal to the tier level (T4 items use 4 alkahest.) Then you load a same tier fodder into the item. A weapon must use another weapon but it doesn't have to match your own. A bow can be used as a fodder for a lance. The same works for armor, as long as its a chest piece for another chest piece. Click and pray for a chance of success. If it fails it only takes away the fodder and alkahest not the item you are enchanting so go hog wild.

Q: Global chat is terrible!
A: Turn it off. Click the gear button on your chat box and deselect the global channel.

Endgame FAQ
Oh look I'm levelling getting lots of gold now! What should I do with it?
First of all, don't spend it on levelling gear. If you want to, play the auction house (Master Enigmatic Scrolls are a popular item, buy them after nexus for a low amount, and put them on broker for a high amount, watch your money increase!) but most importantly save for 60 gear.

So I'm about to hit 60? What do I do with the thousands of gold I've saved up?
Depends on how much you saved up. Less than 2k? Get a set of T13 gear and grind the new dailies otherwise. More than 2k but less than 5k? Do the dailies and buy yourself a T14 enchantable (Abyss) weapon, grind dailies for good armor. Got 20k or more? Buy yourself a regent weapon if you're a Warrior, Sorcerer, Lancer or Archer and get a full set of T14 armor. Try to buy the Regent chestpiece, it's pretty good. Spend the leftovers to get everything to +6, then Masterwork. Oh, after you get your T14 weapon get a full set of socketed jewelry and Pristine Powerful, Threatening or Succoring Zyrks depending on class.

What do dailies give?
The old ones (Invalseco, Shariar, etc) give pretty decent accessory crystals for 200 credits each. The new ones give pretty good armor and weapons which are about as good as +9 not counting enchant bonuses, and the armor has a skill buff which is otherwise only found on Regent and Visionmaker gear!

But all of that is PVE stuff! What should I do if I want to PVP?
Buy yourself a set of socketed jewelry, Pristine Griefing (or Indomitable if you're a healer or Lancer) Zyrks, enchantable PVP armor and a PVP weapon from the broker. T14 PVE also works if you're a healer. The socketed jewelry (well, the zyrks are) is even more important than for PVP so don't skip up on that! After that, grind Nexus for Agnitor gear and Conjunct mats, and BGs/3v3s for more Conjunct mats.

Ok so I got a decent set of PVE gear, what do I do now?
Run Nexus (every day noon/7pm PST), do Argon Corpus normal mode until you know the instance well, ToT and Sirjuka Gallery for glyphs and Crucible of Flame if you want to. Glyphs are the most important thing right now, so run ToT or buy Dire Badgers or Practicum Badges to get your most important ToT glyphs if you don't like farming. After you have the needed ToT glyphs and a T14 weapon, run Sirjuka Gallery for more glyphs. You can also start dipping your nose into Argon Corpus hard mode and Manaya's Core normal mode now. Make sure you let your group know that you're new to the instance! If you need more T14 fodder, learn to run Fane of Kaprima and Balder's Temple hard mode. Eventually, you might be able to do Manaya's Core hard mode!

Why is this guy's weapon glowing red? How can I make my weapon glow red?
Every level of enchantment above +6 changes the color your weapon glows with, and increases it's base damage severely. It also unlocks bonuses, which are rerollable (more on good bonuses later). Regular items can only be enchanted to +9, but Masterworked items can be enchanted to up to +12, which gives a red glow! To Masterwork an item, reroll them repeatedly with Master Enigmatic Scrolls. Chance is about 3% per scroll, so prepare for frustration.

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 17, 2013

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

By Phosphia:
The UI looks like WoW, help me!

Wait, don't jump! There's always an answer. Everything in your UI can be dragged around after pressing the ALT key. This will allow you to mouse over any object that is within the UI and drag it to a different location on your screen. So, what do clever goons do? When you first enter the game, your action bar will only be half of its potential length. The first thing you should do is to expand this tray by clicking the small "Minimized tray" button to the right of your F6 and above your left click ability. You now have a full size action bar. Now there are two more things you'll want to do. First you mouse over the long option bar just above your action bar and move it to the top center of your screen, then you drag your HP/MP bar down to just above your action bar. You're fit! This will optimize your focus at the center of the screen when fighting in the true action combat game that is Tera.

From the old OP:
I want to see some cool armorsets!
The fansite Tera-Online.cc has an incredible number of screenshots featuring armorsets for all the different races:
Thanks to everybody for helping me, and Velveteen and TalonDemonKing especially!

What to do at 60?-Guide: http://nezroy.com/tera-guide/

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 7, 2013

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Just to follow up on that fur-coat armor:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Yeah, it's enough for PVP. Crafting is pretty useless and only used for two end-game sets that take a shitload of effort to get. Visionmaker, which requires materials from Battlegrounds, Manaya's Core Hard Mode, rep vendors, Nexus, and super rare drops from Argon BAMs, and Conjunct, which requires Nexus and BG mats and Nexus and BG enchantables. Only reason to get those is that Visionmaker is significantly better than any other PVE set and even has some PVP bonuses, and Conjunct is one of the best PVP sets.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

I did a PUG for SM last night, and the Sorcerer kept running ahead and pulling things without a word. The Lancer kept getting pissed off and telling me not to heal him. Which I didn't really want to do anyway, since all the aggro ends up on me and I end up kiting a train in circles. The Sorcerer never responded to anything anyone said and just kept pulling, the Lancer got pissed and dropped group, and we were left with no tank, except an idiot sorcerer who apparently thought he was a tank. We still did the two vamp mini bosses, mostly with me kiting them in circles, but I decided to drop before the last guy. I would have been more annoyed, but it was just such a classic MMO dungeon PUG situation that I only found it amusing, having not done an MMO dungeon in a couple years.

In that situation, is there anything you can do outside of dropping group and eating the 30 minute no-dungeon-finder debuff? The rest of the group seemed oblivious and no one was talking. Does it auto-queue you to get another tank at that point, or does the leader have to do something to make that happen?

Honestly? Whenever I'm in a PUG I do exactly what that sorcerer did because
groups
are
so
loving
slow.

I can duo most instances with a healer, and solo some. Tanks are just a neat extra.

This isn't WoW or Rift where trash is more dangerous than the actual boss.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

Guild master turned kinda creepy today.

Other members were disturbed by his behavior and are still nice though, but I'm gonna stay on the ready to drop this if it gets too weird.

I just thought you were talking about me and went "wait, what? I didn't even log on today"

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Hey I'm not creepy ok :mad:

Also just to remind people we don't talk about Elins too much here so avoid a 3 page derail thanks.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Play an Aman Male or Baraka if you can ignore the other players and want the least offending race/gender choices. Women aren't much more sexualised than in other MMOs (and men significantly more so at least gender equality yay) but yeah.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Are you level 40, not in a guild and do you have less than 10k gold? Then yes you can transfer from anything to anywhere. VoT restrictions are even less severe.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Yeah, it's a hard restriction. In any case, you can either level to 40 or reroll on MT.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Huh. Looks like they loosened the restriction. Try it and see if it works.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Any amount of characters at 60 and one non-60.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

Me and Bunbun are very happy we bought the game after BETA now. :v:

<<<<: Someone sure is upset that I have a problem with my guild.

Hahah. Oh man that is great. Goons, completely missing the point :allears:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

The very best buyable equipment in this game costs 30k. You don't need that unless you're filthy rich.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Alt-PrintScreen -> mspaint -> upload to something that is not imgur.com

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

killstealing posted:

You can actually just paste your clipboard on imgur.com so there's no need to save it using paint first.

That takes aeons though.

^^ Hardmode Dungeons in this game are significantly harder than in most other MMOs.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

It's not normal but Rift is down right now so people might just be logging in because of that.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

MCNM does too if you don't want to fight for an eternity. But yeah, it's the TSW style of hard.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Yes. I might just make an alt guild because I'm getting tired of kicking people who didn't log in for a month.

^^ Offsite forums profile is public to registered members, spreadsheet is only visible to me (for now).

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Altguild is up, name is Knightgod Dragonkings (we are all very creative). Velveteen etc. apply so I can give you officer roles.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

milk man posted:

6) How long do PvP matches last? Does it boil down to "who can blow their load and instagib faster," "Smack the other guy in the face for hours until his healer runs out of mana," or is there a happy middle-ground?

It's pretty well balanced. 15 minutes give or take per BG. You will get oneshot if you're not in enchantable PVP gear by people with enchantable PVP gear but that's BGs for you. Everything else is pretty much a happy middle-ground.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Welcome to ACHM :sun:

Seriously, Hardmode Meldita past 20% is the worst boss ever.

We'll be doing MCNM runs on Tuesday (probably 9PM GMT) or MCHM if we get a full party of people who have done MCNM.

(Bring health potions and complete crystalbind. Also greater charms)

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 16, 2013

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Torrent of Blows is pretty much the best taunt you can ever wish for and I'm easily holding aggro against people in full +12 with my t14+9 swords whereas most lancers in t14+9 can't hold aggro against my t14+12 slayer.
And then Warriors have better debuffs, more mobility, 3 invuln abilities, 2 shadows (one of which is a huge aoe taunt as well). Only thing I want is something like Second Wind and a ranged attack.

E: I mean seriously I tanked FOKHM before we got a block, if you wish Warrior tanking be made even more easier then I don't know what to say.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Archers are decent enough, I've been bashing skulls in on my Berserker and it's mad fun.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

At 60, Warrior block is 50k and Lancer block is 60k. Negligible.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Loot and kill credit go to the person who's done more than 50% of damage. XP is more complicated.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I'm just using one bar -- http://www.twitch.tv/kanetw/b/348075665 skip to 5 minutes for DPS, and 1:05 hour for tanking. Backstab is more of an "oh poo poo" invuln but it still exists, also there's Smoke Flanker but I'm not sure if it gives invulnerability.

I have no idea how to use Rising Fury, I never used it.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Meta Ridley posted:

So I just hit 60 yesterday for first time with a slayer.
Not really sure what my priorities should be at 60 though, is there any 'i just hit 60 what do i do now' guide?

Also the items confuse the gently caress out of me. I am so afraid to buy anything, I have about 9k gold and don't want to blow 7.5K on a T14 weapon just to realize I bought something that should never be masterworked or gets replaced in a week in a random dungeon.

Read the literally 2nd post in this thread. :argh:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I just added guild chat etc. to party tab. Select party tab, press gear button, do the magic.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Priest SG glyphs for MP regen are the best goddamn thing.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Are you 20 yet? Get to 20 and fight some BAMs and do a dungeon. That's the real game.

E: and yes oh god play with goons or friends

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I've never seen groups not do quests if anyone needed those so that's weird.

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 19, 2013

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Hm, I've done that on all my now-60s and whenever I asked people ran the optional rooms. Perhaps I just have been lucky.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Yeah, I had that wrong the first time :v:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Is the Goon guild on Mount Tyranas, now that Valley of Titans is back?

Yes, it's still on MT.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Velveteen posted:

I hate all pubbies and I hope they all quit. Who are these people who have never ran CoF before and refuse to admit or tell anyone and then wipe the group. This is not the first healer that doesn't know what dispel the boss with plague is. Not the first healer who doesn't have plague on their bar. But this is the first healer who never even learned the skill. Are you serious? Why would you not keep it on your bar? Or why would you not learn the skill at all? To save yourself 10 silver from the trainer?

I could tank mark 1 through the the enflame but they don't deserve loot. I rather get nothing than the healer getting something.

I guess I'm just bitter failing PUG after PUG.

Welp. If you were online about 2 or 3 hours earlier I'd have taken you to MCNM with a MCHM experienced group so you'd have some fun at least.

No loot dropped though :(

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Side saddles are the worst thing and I don't get it why every MMO ever has them. It's the 21st century, not the 19th.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

First try on MCHM with 3 experienced people and another goon, got to 70% twice. Not bad with 2 newbies I guess. Probably would have gotten better results later but I was getting tired and it's like 6am.

I also found out that first two bosses drop Abyss. I think I'd actually rather waste my 2 MCHM cooldowns for first 2 bosses than do ACHM ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Velveteen posted:

Is the first two bosses difficult? If not then why are we doing ACHM ever!?

Not really. You need really good DPS but apart from a enrage timer and everything hits harder they're p much the same.

• Locked thread