Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

Pierson posted:

ABout the exp potions in the cash-shop, do they increase all exp you receive (specifically quest reward exp), or just from killing monsters?

But yes the game is fun. The levelling experience is about par of The Burning Crusade (hubs with quests leading to other hubs with quests) but the world and combat and other misc stuff make up for it.

Only by killing monsters. Quests in Tera already give a huge amount of experience as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

I'm not really offended by the global or area chat at all.

The only thing that saddens me is the fact that it's not more amusing. Pulling off the same jokes as lunch-day, every day, all day, is just tiring. In many other games you can expect a good laugh once in a while by keeping an eye on the chat while leveling, well in Tera you will not.

I'm assuming this is the case for all servers. This is one of the reasons a healthy guild chat and voice servers are required.

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 12, 2013

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

lethial posted:

I am not too bothered by the chats neither. Though I am annoyed that sometimes I miss the more important stuff (like guild chat or someone LFG for the same thing that I am doing). That and it seems that there is no escaping the annoying chats since it seems that people can and will crap up any channel being it area or LFG or Global...

Edit: on the topic of leveling, I heard that it is not optimal at all to do quest in zones, right?

I am bit of a completionist, so I tend to do every quest... Is there any perks for doing that?

Well, there is nothing wrong with doing every single quest. You do however have an advantage if you know when you can skip one and when you can not, by following the story quests.

Do however stay far away from repeatables and "proof of kill" quests, if they are even still in the game.

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 12, 2013

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

lethial posted:

Oh dear... I have been trying to do every quest, even if I have out leveled them... I figured XP is XP right? (I strongly suspect that this is not the case, maybe I should just grind...)

On another note, while leveling up, I find that I have to stay in defensive mode most of the time for BAM soloing. I read that warriors should actually stay in assult stance for that, but w/o any self heals, I often find myself needing to bandage or drink potion due to damages that I almost always will have sustained... I am sure my inexperience has something to do with it, or maybe gear?

Is it recommended or time efficient to solo even level BAMs?

I'd say skip BAM quets unless you have a group to do it effectively. Also only do instances once, for the quests.

quote:

Couple questions on that. The repeatable quests, where does one use the currency that you get from those? Those little badge things. I've just been tossing them in my bank whenever I get one, because I can't find where they're used. And is that currency going to be the same at low levels vs. high levels? Or is there a level 60 version of repeatable quest tokens? Otherwise it seems like people would grind the lowest level easiest repeatable quest for the currency, assuming it's actually used to purchase anything worthwhile.

And on the guild quest boards, all I ever see there are the crafting quests. Does anything more interesting ever pop up there? And if so, what triggers that? I did most of the crafting stuff just for the hell of it. Seems kind of a silly way to level a craft, actually. Here's some mats, go buy a couple gold of other mats and hit craft a few times. At that point, why even go through the motions? Might as well just have a vendor that you can buy crafting levels at all in one go. But I digress. What's the deal with guild quests?

Well, the only tokens you should farm are Catharnach Awards, these can be used by the guild leader to level up the guild and these same tokens are needed when you as guild want to enter the Vanarch term. (Guilds can rule areas of the map for a period of time)

All the other tokens you get through these quests are hardly worth anything. You can go to Velika and buy gear for each kind of token respectively. I never found it worthwhile. You can however use the tokens for an ALT.

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 12, 2013

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

BobTheJanitor posted:

I did a PUG for SM last night, and the Sorcerer kept running ahead and pulling things without a word. The Lancer kept getting pissed off and telling me not to heal him. Which I didn't really want to do anyway, since all the aggro ends up on me and I end up kiting a train in circles. The Sorcerer never responded to anything anyone said and just kept pulling, the Lancer got pissed and dropped group, and we were left with no tank, except an idiot sorcerer who apparently thought he was a tank. We still did the two vamp mini bosses, mostly with me kiting them in circles, but I decided to drop before the last guy. I would have been more annoyed, but it was just such a classic MMO dungeon PUG situation that I only found it amusing, having not done an MMO dungeon in a couple years.

In that situation, is there anything you can do outside of dropping group and eating the 30 minute no-dungeon-finder debuff? The rest of the group seemed oblivious and no one was talking. Does it auto-queue you to get another tank at that point, or does the leader have to do something to make that happen?

The leader is able to requeue/recruit. Always mark 'yes' at 'I'm able to lead' when you queue up for an instance.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I got a key from a fellow goon in SA-Mart. How do I set up the title and mount and stuff? Also, the mount is only for one character, right?

No. Mounts are for all of your characters. You can find it here: ALT -> Activities -> Item Claim -> Account Items. You can adjust titels by clicking 'V'.

Note that mounts obtained through in-game means are only for that one character, with the account wide mount from the shop being the only exepction.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Harik posted:

So how do I PvP as a sorc? I know I can't do poo poo to gankers above my level, but similar to my level I should be able to put the hurt on at least.

My main problem is that most of my powerful skills are slow, and they can kill me before the fast/weak spells can take them down.

I take it you're still leveling then. Sorcs are also very good at PvP while leveling, much better than most classes. Don't try to use any charge up attacks really, just use your abilities to keep yourself at range. Around 20+ the lock on skills are the best, combined with magma bomb. At level 20 I was able to kill three people at my own level simply due to the good kite abilities and that one nasty sleep lock-on skill.

Ice Needle is also much faster now after the recent patch, along with a couple other spells.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Twilight Matrix posted:

This game looks pretty neat, but what is the catch? How can they afford to go completely F2P?

There's something called microtransactions, and there's quite a lot of them. With the huge amount of new people joining the game, I don't think it is going to be a problem. Not to mention that some people still remain subscribed to the game.

Harik, I don't have any wonder tactic as to how to win a fight where you as cloth user get ganked. My best advice would be to stay alert.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Weird. I don't see anything under Account Items. Do I need to be a certain level?

Check your spell book.

Mordaedil, do keep us posted.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

KaneTW posted:

Play an Aman Male or Baraka if you can ignore the other players and want the least offending race/gender choices. Women aren't much more sexualised than in other MMOs (and men significantly more so at least gender equality yay) but yeah.

True, you will find a lot of 'sexualised' females in many other MMOs, but I have yet to find something else than Tera that also does it with males.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

GaylordButts posted:

So much lost potential in this not being the thread title.

I would have to agree with this being awesome at a pretty decent level. The current title is a little too much of an insider.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Alavaria posted:

If I am not mistaken, Baraka still have the same large hitbox, normalizing only means that the smaller hotboxes (Elin/Popori) became taller, now they are the same as Human/Elf/Amani/Castanic.

I thought both large and small hitboxes were pushed toward a middle variable. Do you have any source on this?

On a related note, do mind that lock-on skill are as they have always been. You'll get complains when playing an Elin Lancer.

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 13, 2013

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Alavaria posted:

No. Short of testing it, I wouldn't just go off whatever random person on the forum says. I think I saw a screenshot someone had taken where they had the game render the hitboxes, which are just rectangular boxes. It shows a human, elin and popori as having the same sized box, and a baraka with a larger one...

Lock ons, yeah, the taller the model, the taller the "lock on" hitbox is. I've compared by trying to use my targeted heal on random people.

Ah, I see. Good to know. I have not had the time to test it myself.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Elin tank and a couple fat rear end baraka melee DPS definitely is a pain in the rear end for the priest lock on heal. Trying to explain to people not to stand between the priest and the tank would be a silly exercise in futility though.

I can only imagine the frustration..

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 13, 2013

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Alavaria posted:

I went about looking, there's people saying even after normalization there's still differences (female castanic & elin are small, baraka is big, popori and male castanic are medium) and then others saying it's all the same. Really confusing.

Of note though, if you're using elin in particular, your hitbox is not only taller than your model but also wider etc. So apparently if an AoE hits say a foot or so in front of you, you'll take damage.

I've not been oblivious to the fact that they are not all of the same hitbox. They stated they would try to equalize best possible. I don't recall them saying how they would do it though. They havn't gone into reach though, that should still be as posted in the video in the other thread. Here.

But in all honesty, I don't mind that there is a difference between the races.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I'm playing with a friend of mine who normally mains priest, but is currently playing as a mystic. Her priest is level 60, and her mystic is 42, and she seems super frustrated with the class, claiming basically everything it does priest just does better. Any tips I can relay to her or general mystic guides for being effective and having fun? She spams heals and balls at us and keeps us alive and is doing her job fine, but I guess she feels she doesn't do anything else BEYOND that, other than spamming left clicks and the occasional power increase buff. Everything else is a super weak DPS that puts her in harm's way, or a pet that gets one-shotted. I've never played either so I don't really have much of a clue. If it matters, we're in a small group of her, our warrior friend, and myself as a lancer.

I've not been playing it at a high level, but word has it the priest does indeed do everything better. The one thing the mystic has that the priest does not is the extra DPS buff. As a lancer, I don't really care if I have a priest or a mystic with me. The play styles are also very different.

I'd say place more balls. Balls are good. :hfive:

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 13, 2013

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there a significant stat difference in race/class selections? Still letting the client download, going to try looking for a box at best buy after work tonight. This game looks really fun.

There is obviously a difference between the classes, but all races can be any class. The races all have some racial abilities, but this is not something you should worry about. The hit box is not entirely the same either, but I have not experienced this being a problem at all.

You should pick the class you enjoy playing the most and the race you think suits it best.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Beach Party posted:

Little late in answering this (thread is moving fast!) but i was experiencing this last night when tanking Cultist Refuge on my popori lancer last night. On the last boss, i could block every attack he threw at me except his charge forward attack. He would just run over me every time no matter if my shield was up or not.

Must be popori only then, I've never had any trouble with my High Elf or Elin.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Carecat posted:

My friend wants to play mystic, who should I choose to go with her? I was thinking lancer to make getting dungeons easier?

The best advice anyone can give you is to play the class that suits you best. The classes in Tera are very different from eachother. Much more different than in many other MMOs.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Chillyrabbit posted:

Welp, didn't know that there were racial abilities. But no biggie at least for a human they can multiclass pretty well.

Racial skills

They are all on a one hour cooldown, this shouldn't really be taken into account when choosing a race. You'll regret it.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Chillyrabbit posted:

Wait a minute but some of them say passive?
Indomitable Spirit 1 Passive When HP is below 30%, you take 10% less damage from other players.

Nomadic Crafter 1 Passive Increases crafting speed for light armor by 10%.

Resilience of Body 1 Passive Heals you continuously after you're resurrected.

I know that the resilience only works when you die, but does that mean if I use indomitable spirit, it takes an hour for it to be used again?

Like drop below 30% go up to say 60% in 10 minutes then drop back down to 30% in less than an hour?

They are not going to make a difference for you, it'll depend on skill entirely. You'll regret basing your race off these racial abilities. But it's a plus of course if you like the abilities of your race.

Extra note: The animations differ between the races, keep this in mind too. It's a good idea to look into this too, to find something you're comfortable playing with.

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 13, 2013

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

crazkylo posted:

How long should I stick with a class to get a feel of how they will play? Will playing the prologue give me a general idea of what later levels will feel like?

Yes, but only a very general idea. You should research a bit too, some classes first get 'normal' once you get the right glyphs or get a bit higher level.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Yes, you will at least want to have 4 or 5 members when doing BAM quests. Don't bother if you're less, it's not worth it.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

lethial posted:

On another note, at around what level do we start to really accumlate gold? Judging by the LFG channel, higher end equipments are like 20k-30k at a minimum... I can't imaging ever saving up that much gold.

Once you stop spending. Throw all armor but jewelry into the broker.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Demicol posted:

Edit:
Can someone explain the purpose of Master Leash to me? Is it just supposed to be used on a second monster after leashing one or does it have some other function?

You can use it as an extra CC after leash or use it if you miss as well, thus why people call it 'oh poo poo-leash'.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Tarq posted:

So I decided to sub for the hell of it. But still getting a terrible queue. Logging in at 8:15PM CST on a Saturday and it is an estimated 54 min wait.

You would want to have gotten your hands on veteran/founder status.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Tarq posted:

1. How does outlaw work? I understand it as you flag yourself as able to attack other players, but what is the downside? Seems like on a PvP server you'd want the ability to attack people.

You use an ability to declare yourself an outlaw. You will now be able to attack anyone you please outside of safe areas. But this also means everyone around you will be able to attack you as well. This will often result in you being ganked really hard if there are too many people around and you're alone.

You can group up with other people and have everyone declare themselves outlaw, you will then not be able to deal damage to eachother when in the party.

You can choose to disable outlaw once outside combat again, this is if you have not killed somsone ~ 7 levels under yourself. If you have, you have gained something called 'infamy'. This is a number that deceases very slowly over time or whenever you kill a mob of your own level. While this number is not yet down at 0, you will not be able to remove the outlaw effect.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

GaylordButts posted:

Seriously, the sunglasses are less than 2k. Buying things in the real dollars shop to sell in the AH seems like an awful idea since the gold prices are just so ridiculously low.

But are they not only temporary?

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Demicol posted:

There is a "unstuck" button somewhere in the menu.

Can't use this enough. I'v never used a safe haven scroll.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Boggus posted:

Anyone got any advice on how to tank instances with a lancer? I have done the first two instances so far without wiping but I feel like I am not utilizing block to avoid damage to the fullest. Any tips and tricks on when to use block, what abilities to focus on and so forth? Trying to read enemies attack patterns are kinda tough when fighting trash packs with all the graphical clusterfuck these fights can be.

Trash mobs are really simple, also if you have an army infront of you. Simply jump back, taunt and block. The more mobs you taunt, the more resolve you gain. You won't get hit a single time and you can keep doing this to the end of your days. Tanking a lot of mobs has become extremely easy for lancers since their last buff.
On single target just make sure to keep debilitate up on three stacks, shield counter and taunt as often as possible. If the attack pattern of the boss is extremely slow, fill in double bash, spring attack and wallop when the combo is ready.

Using Menacing Wave whenever it's up is also great, both for you and your DPS. As long as you can keep agro, it's more a question of style. Our DPS makes for little difference.

If you have not yet, make sure you glyph both slots in shield counter. In some fights it's best to keep block up most of the time and rely on shield counter to activate and in other fights you may feel very comfortable with the attack pattern, thus allowing you to simply flash block by only cliking the block ability instead of holding it down.

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 22, 2013

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

KaneTW posted:

I've disabled PVP in Lumbertown. This is the best thing I've ever done.

This is simply amazing. Let's prove them wrong in you not being able to get re-elected, that would put the buckets of tears to a test.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

The F2P launch could have been a lot worse. As for the companies' income I don't think they have any problems. I have the feeling an awful lot of people are still paying subscription.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

We didn't always have this much end game, many people quit last year because we had literally nothing.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Thievery posted:

So i'm level 33 at the minute and am questing in Pora Elinu (kill me) but I am just aimlessly following my story quests to the zones it tells me to go to. I noticed that I have unlocked a buttload of new flight paths when I hit 30 - Can I just go to these places and begin questing there too, or is it recommended to follow the story?

Very recommended indeed. Your story quests will take you to all the zones you would have gone to anyway. If you're feeling aimless by following these quests, you'll have no sense of direction on your own for sure. Leveling in Tera is much more linear (with zones) than other games.

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 26, 2013

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

lethial posted:

While I agree that following the story is very much recommended, I was one of those that just did all the quests, and "wasted time" doing dungeon runs and really wasted a lot of time soloing BAMs during my later levels. Certainly not efficient in term of xp/hour. But I enjoyed the journey. By the time that I hit the level 52 grind, I was well on the way to 57 and couple sky garden runs later I was 57 and before I knew it I got to 58.

So the level 52 grind wasn't much of a grind for me. In fact what really felt like a "grind" was level 58 -60, since I erraneously thought that at that point I should just only focus on the story quests, and barely do any other quests that are around the story quests' areas. So I ended up had to back track a lot to hunt down the quests that I needed to get to level 59 to unlock more story quests.

So depends on your game play preference and your class.

Well if you decide to grind a lot, it should be the yellow and not the story quests you skib. For other people, fear not, 58-60 is a lot easier than you would think. These two last levels were designed way later than the rest. This team decided to make it a lot easier. You'll find yourself one-combo'ing all the mobs again once you set foot in the new zones.

Thievery posted:

The enemies are 2 levels above me but that counts for nothing, especially when I can still gather up a room full and AOE them down with Slayer power.

With the right cystals a few levels shouldn't matter.

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 26, 2013

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

w00tazn posted:

I think Enmasse messed up when they were designing this armor for High Elf Plate back in the day. :V
At least it's slightly better than the gold bikini I was rocking.

Don't think Enmasse designed anything, it's all the work of Bluehole Studio in Korea. They are however to blame for the (poorly designed) censoring of many models.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

megalodong posted:

You're really bothered by this whole elin censoring thing aren't you.

Hardly, as it doesn't affect me. Not a fan of censoring content though, especially not when the censoring is very poorly executed. People from EU tend to be slightly more annoyed as the censoring wasn't limited to only models. Please don't derail with the Elin question.

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 27, 2013

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

It's a good idea to know the different attack patterns on the various BAMs, as you'll meet them all again later. In ToT for instance you'll need to solo one as a part of the instance.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

So I'm almost level 40 and, if my Broker sales go through, I should have 500g showing up on my doorstep soon. I know that's not a lot at all compared to the numbers you're all talking about, but it's way more than I've ever had. Found someone selling Shetla Fibers for way below normal price so combined them with the Fibers I'd been gathering and have put a bajillion Healing Potion Vs on the market.

ANYWAY - what should I be spending my gold on as a Lv38 Warrior other than more alchemy materials? I don't know if I should be buying gear since new drops tend to show up pretty quickly which replaces everything I've got anyway.

Also, is Velika the only place where I can do alchemy, crafting, etc? I know I can enchant pretty much anywhere, although I haven't really delved too deeply into that at all.

The standard recommendation is to save up as much gold you can to level 60 and wait with crafting as well. Gear will replace itself in quests less than two levels above your current and crafting is hardly worth the time if you compare it to how fast you can do it at 60. Leveling gathering isn't a bad idea though.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Demicol posted:

Speaking of gear, my current lance has 2x 8% attack speed and 2x 13,5% more aggro on it at +7. It's about 5 levels bellow me at lvl 55 but I really don't know if I should replace it with a new one for more damage because I can't find anything that compares to it enchantment wise.

Those are good bonuses, but you should use the lance the deals the most damage while leveling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Velveteen posted:

If you go over 500 hours you stop being able to buff yourself, pick up motes, bandage, crystalbind etc etc. Do not go overboard.

Well not exactly 500 but if you spam it a lot.

Confirming this. On another note, how do I get rid of them?

• Locked thread