Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Pierson posted:

So I've been told that at 58 ~*~SoMeThInG~*~ happens that makes the final two levels go by much quicker than the infamous 52-57 sinkhole. I'm coming up pretty close on 58 so what exactly is it/where should I go to make this happen?

Pretty sure you get a quest to go to the 58-60 zones, which do go quite a bit faster. I think you just need to follow that questline and it will get you there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Harik posted:

46, actually. I powerleveled so haven't done any PVP aside from the occasional "get ganked in lumbertown".

Mostly, it's because I'm white and they get to initiate combat while I'm busy with some trash mob. So I start at a disadvantage.

Stuns are what nail me, they start with a stun and I'm mincemeat before it wears off.

Get two more levels first of all. Burst of Celerity will help a lot since all your stuff will cast way faster and you can work on getting a Time Gyre -> Mindblast combo to keep them in place so you can pop celerity and dump all your stuff on them. 48 is like the level when everything changes for Sorc, both in PvE and PvP.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Mordaedil posted:

Guild master turned kinda creepy today.

Other members were disturbed by his behavior and are still nice though, but I'm gonna stay on the ready to drop this if it gets too weird.

You can't just say that and then not tell us what happened!

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

I moved my 21 Sorcerer over and in the first five minutes was killed by another player.

Whenever you teleport/enter a zone it usually puts you in Channel 1, make sure to move out of it if you don't wanna get ganked.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

KaneTW posted:

I've disabled PVP in Lumbertown. This is the best thing I've ever done.

THANKS OBAMA CROWD!

The forum thread is pretty amazing.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Bob NewSCART posted:

Wow, the lance that the lancer uses is insanely annoying. Couldn't they have just given him a sword or something? Having absolutely no horizontal attack range other than a single point is just brutal in this kind of combat system.

You'll get some skills that will help with that. Shield Barrage has a pretty nice aoe and Wallop hits in a sizable cone. It's also worth noting that a lot of the narrower stuff will still hit multiple targets if they're clumped up enough.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Bob NewSCART posted:

Is there a way to walk backwards? Turning around and having your back facing the enemy is a pretty lovely thing.

You'll get a backstep ability at some point (not sure exactly what level) that will allow you to leap backwards while still facing forward.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Fixit posted:

With the event that's going on, should I be using the keys I have accumulated since I started playing or sell them?

I would probably sell them they sell for ridiculous amounts right now. Like ~320g a key easily.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, I'm learning to check it periodically to see if the game has helpfully plonked me back into it.

Anytime you teleport somewhere (like to a camp or whatever) you'll get put back in to channel 1.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Is there any point in the initial gate-closing part of Nexus? It seems like with that many players swarming an overworld instance, there's comparatively little opportunity for any reward when put up against what you get from Traverse.

You need to finish a nexus to get the Nexus Call buff so you can actually enter Traverse.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

KaneTW posted:

Some, mostly around area borders.

Yeah, though you'll be surprised at some of the cool looking stuff that you can actually get to, especially later on.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Hey, now that this is F2P and I have some time, I'm thinking about trying this. I'd be downloading it, but apparently EnMasse is having trouble with their email servers and my account (which has apparently existed since before beta, who knew) verification email isn't showing up.

Anyway, I'm not usually huge for MMOs, but I'm hoping the action component here will hold my interest, like it did in GW2. I tend to play fragile, high-effect types, like mages and healers, so I'm looking at the cloth classes. As far as I know, healers are annoying to level up, especially as a first character since you don't know anything about the game and all the good ways to level up yet, so I'll probably go with Sorcerer. Only having two character slots is irritating, though, and boxed copies seem...rare and expensive.

Any tips on playing a sorcerer and playing in general I may want to know?

Sorc starts out kind of slow but has a couple of levels where it has rather significant leaps in effectiveness. The first is at 25 when you get Fireblast, then again at 36 when you get Void Pulse, and finally the big one is at 48 when you get Burst of Celerity. Your entire rotation will change at that point as you'll be casting everything ridiculously fast and then have about 10sec of downtime to get your mana back. It's a lot of fun, you just have to kind of stick with it until then cause the payoff is pretty huge.

Also stay out of channel 1 if you don't want to get ganked!

cathead fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 21, 2013

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I saw this post pre-edit and thought you were just being funny :v:

A weird thing about me and MMOs is that I love playing healers, but rarely ever actually have people to party with. Are you solo basically all the way through leveling?

That was my cursor somehow ending up on Submit Reply when I was alt tabbing. I came back and hit space and it just posted. :v:

Also yeah Hailstorm owns too, you used to get it at 52 but i think they might have moved it down to 50 or 48?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Eigo posted:

Don't forget the attack speed buff sorcs get, I think that changes their game more than hailstorm does. You turn into a class that casts fireblast and two other spells into figuring out what the hell you're going to do according to resets and so on.

You mean... the one I mentioned in my post as the most significant change for the class? :v:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Wilekat posted:

My Lancer buddy and I hit up Golden Labyrinth for the first time last night. The trash in that place is a pretty big step up in terms of murdering non-tanks. Is the majority of the trash meant to run after random people to bodyslam them? As far as I could tell they were picking random targets to run off and bellyflop before returning to the tank, but it was frustrating the lancer to no end because it was our first time in there and he was freaking out about how impossible it was to control anything that was going on.
Yes, a lot of the trash mobs in GL have random aggro. Tell your lancer not to feel so bad, as there's not really an easy way to keep aggro on them.

cathead fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 28, 2013

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Harik posted:

I was playing around with solo PvP and it was working out much better for me than BG - and now I know why. Every loving stun the sorc has breaks on damage. All the melee stuns don't. So if I get hit I can just get up and go refill my drink, since I have no control of my character until after the world returns from black & white. If I stun someone, I have to hope and pray that no idiot teammate blows a spitball at them and lets them out of my AoE nuke before it goes off.

Really REALLY terrible balance choice. I mean, I get how it's "supposed" to work - stun, celerity, overchannel fireblast. It just doesn't actually work that way in BG, and it makes playing a sorc in BG an incredibly frustrating experience, since you have no control over your idiot teammates loving up every single goddamned nuke you attempt.

So yeah, CC is worthless in PUG battlegrounds, as nobody understands how it's supposed to work. The only thing I can usefully do is follow around a lancer nuking every time he leashes.

I hate to say it but you're kinda doing it wrong. (Well the lancer thing is good but still.)

Sure, your CC might not be as useful, but you're forgetting that you have lancers, warriors, and slayers on YOUR OWN team. You need to be watching out for them to stun people because that's a prime time for you to attack. If you see one of your lancers AOE leash, you need to have your fireblast right on top of those people ASAP. In the end, BGs are a team experience and yes I KNOW people can be dumb as poo poo in them, but it just means it's on you to look for the openings and help your team make the most of them. That's what makes a good sorc in BGs and that's why you see so many of them topping the scoreboard.

Couple other things:
- Don't be afraid to throw out void pulses. You'd be surprised how hard it is to see it in the middle of a big fight and people will get hit by it all the time.
- Keep a stun trap on you as often as you can if there are warriors/slayers around. This will discourage their backstabs. If all else fails, drop a hailstorm and stand in it.
- Painful trap knocks down in PvP. This is REALLY useful for stopping people on you or for stopping a group that's assist training on someone else. It casts pretty quickly even without celerity.
- Backstep and Teleport Jaunt both have invulnerability frames. Abuse the poo poo out of them, you'll be surprised at what you can dodge with it. Backstep into Glacial Retreat can get you out of bad stuff pretty quickly.
- Don't be afraid to still throw out your CC. You can stop people momentarily so that your team can catch up if they're chasing, and Mindblast casts crazy fast with celerity + the ice needle glyph. A lot of times people will be focused on someone else in the fray and you'll help take their friends out of the fight for a few seconds.

I guess what I'm saying is I've played BGs quite a bit and it's not that frustrating for me from a gameplay perspective (more from a THIS MATCHMAKING IS poo poo perspective :v:), but it's definitely a different playstyle from open world PvP that you have to adjust to.

cathead fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 30, 2013

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Harik posted:

I absolutely agree - it's just, if we don't have a good lancer on my team, I might as well just sit in spawn with a drinking bird tapping my spacebar to jump periodically. As a sorc, I depend 100% on specific team classes to both be competent AND well equipped, and that's around 1% of the time in BGs. Sure, I can stop someone we're chasing - for someone to hit them with a fast low-damage attack and off they go again, and I can't stop them for another 45 seconds of cooldown. I can't count how many times a lancer has leashed 5 reds OUT of my fireblast circle just before it goes off. So not only do I not hit them, but I've got limited number of much lower-damage skills to hit them with in their new stun. How hard is it to yank people INTO friendly hailstorms instead of OUT of them?

I'd absolutely believe sorcs are top ranked in BG. I generally end up in the top 5 no matter how badly our team loses - doesn't make me feel useful, just an artifact of the way the scoring system rewards AoE 'assists' and huge-damage nukes. That's what's so incredibly frustrating, being continually paired up with worthless teams.

I'll try the knockdown trap more though, that sounds especially useful anywhere there's 10v10 piling up since there's too much going on for people to see every spell effect on the ground.

Yeah, the matchmaking is hosed and sometimes there are stacked games you just won't be able to win. I don't think there's much you can do about it until EME or Bluehole decide to make some changes, so you kind of have to make the best of what you got. Just remember, it's not just lancers who have nice stuns. Slayers, zerkers, and warriors (they have an AOE stun, even) all have ways to get people to sit the gently caress down for a few seconds, which is a great time for you to drop a Fireblast or Void Pulse on their heads. Get used to reading when that happens and being quick with your skills and you'll be surprised the sort of fights you can help turn around. Some people are just bad so you have to work with THEM rather than them working with you.

One other thing, learn the times that the BAMs spawn and ALWAYS BE THERE. Sorcs are the best way to secure a BAM kill and you'll be surprised at the steals you can pull off if you do it right. Both BAMs are pretty important to winning the game and can seriously help your team come back if they're behind. Here's the approximate timers for those who aren't familiar:

Teralith (South):
4:55
~11:55 (depends on when first Teralith died)

Naga (North):
6:55
~15:55 (same consideration as Teralith)

In the rare cases it goes any longer than that I think you'll see the third Tera around ~18:55.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

TheRationalRedditor posted:

April Fools jokes shouldn't be comprised of ideas that would unironically make PVP 500% better.

I'm not sure this will necessarily be the case. Equalizing the gear is great and all but doing so will probably highlight the class imbalances even more. Which is great if you're planning to fix them, but I doubt EME is, so I have a feeling these BGs might leave some classes not so happy. So I'm not sure this is the MAGICAL SOLUTION to PvP issues.

Anyway, it's solo queue only so if you want people who know what the hell they're doing you'll still probably want to play the regular one. I'm worried that this will split up the queues so much that the queue times for either will be significantly longer. At any rate it's a temporary event apparently so... whatever, we'll see how it works.

I am slightly annoyed that this gametype suddenly showed up AFTER I grinded my conjunct weapon though. :v:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Warrior leveling gets at lot faster once you get Traverse Cut and Blade Draw at 28. Enemies die pretty quickly after that.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Khako posted:

Hey sorry for the newbie questions recently but is crafting okay to do in this game with your first character? I got mixed responses in chat.

I wouldn't bother aside from maybe alchemy. You'll get plenty of gear just from quests, and it's super easy to level crafting anyway due to being able to use the mission board quests. Just wait until you need it (for like conjunct or something).

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

No I'm pretty sure someone did some actual tests on it. I definitely recall seeing a thread on it at one point, but hell if I could find it now. It still only came out to like one or two extra spells under celerity though.

Also double attack speed is nice in PvP when you want everything casting as fast as possible.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Motherfucker posted:

My friend was going on about this game and the way he described it made it sound pretty cool with the way the mechanics and all that work.

I couldn't bring myself to touch this game though, I feel I need to delete my browser history and microwave my hard-drive just looking at it, you can almost see the greasy neckbeards floating behind each elin like oily ectoplasmic blimps / puppet masters. It is so creepy on so many loving levels I cringe every time I see a screenshot, it looks like the kind of game that one guy would make, the guy who you just know runs erotic DnD games in dark basements, Tera to me is like some kind of horrifying window into that guys personal fantasies.

Cool, not sure why you thought anyone in this thread gives a poo poo about how creepy you think it is. There's a reason it says "Don't talk about Elins" in the OP.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Yeah, I and a few other dudes have officer in DGKK now, so if you want to be there instead of NFA for whatever reason just apply and put some dumb goon poo poo in the comment. I'm not on that much since DFO is taking up most of my time but I'll try and check once a day at least.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

FYI I just accepted a bunch of people to DGKK so if you applied recently you should be in now.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hAYguhgpno

lol Elin ninjas

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Sure bluehole, elin ninjas make absolute sense

Look, you gotta have a big rear end to store all that chi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

TheRationalRedditor posted:

So, like, was one Elin-exclusive class revolving around inappropriately large and DARK weaponry somehow not enough? What the gently caress are they doing lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkox8x1LxQ4

• Locked thread