Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I had forgotten about upgrading gear in Beastie Bay until earlier. I figured it just increased stats but it also lowers the number of slots the upgraded type uses.

Meaning 1 slot for element-C charms, Kairo Beams, and spell books. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Okay, Beastie Bay hard mode is pretty hard.

I managed to get #25 on the global chart with 844k points. I think if I'd sold all the junk I had I might have been able to squeeze out a few more points but drat I have no idea how some people got over a million.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Pocket Racer is not nearly as much fun as I'd hoped.

It has buildings, but it doesn't look like they do combos or anything useful.

I still haven't figured out how to expand my ranch, and I'm full on space. I also haven't reached the point where I can do anything with my old rear end horse except sell it, since you get about 4 good years out of a horse and on the 5th they take a real long time to recover from a race so it sucks to keep them around even with maxed out stats. Sorta. I just won a race with my oldest 5 year horse but I'm pretty sure he's about done.

Gonna stick with it, but it's a sorta weird (not in a great way IMO) variation on Grand Prix.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
To expand your ranch you need to
Beat Pumpkin guy in a race
Which you unlock by
filling Pumpkin's evaluation meter by winning newcomer and maiden races

I like pocket stables but I think it's like a slower version of Grand Prix with more long term planning. Once you unlock breeding it gets more interesting and you start concentrating on how their kids will end up since bred horses have much higher stats in the beginning and can blow through ranks quickly.

Tiramisu fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 25, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Holy poo poo, World Cruise Story is a legitimate little tycoon game. Quite fun, even if my ship is still a dump. I wish we could get more decent little games like this for the PC. Also, Mega Mall is so close to being an updated SimTower. I'd love to see a modern full-fledged SimTower with a Mega Mall/Tiny Tower art style and more detailed individual 'sims'.

:crying 1990s flag:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You and everyone else, man. There's quite a few game ideas out there floating around that are suspiciously missing from the App Store but would sell fantastically. Like, a decent sim game that doesn't take months to make serious progress in. I think it's funny that Kairosoft games are pretty much the only sim games without timers, but only because they all existed before the idea of timers. I'm not totally against the 'treadmill model', (where a game is barely a game because your input doesn't really affect much) but I'd love to see less of it.

I think they released the original Sim City or something, but that game isn't really all that fun when you're an adult. You just kinda build up all the space on your island and then you're done.

Do you think World Cruise Story is worth loving with Bluestacks?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think it's funny that Kairosoft games are pretty much the only sim games without timers, but only because they all existed before the idea of timers. I'm not totally against the 'treadmill model', (where a game is barely a game because your input doesn't really affect much) but I'd love to see less of it.

I can't stand games with timers. I think I'm just not cut out for mobile gaming. I was all excited to try Tiny Towers after all the fuss, and there was just... no GAME there. I don't want to play a game for five minutes on the subway or whatever, if I'm going to play a game I want to sit down for a solid chunk of time and PLAY it.

All the monetized skinner box 'check every day' games leave me not just cold, but rather repulsed. Which is probably why the Kairosoft games appealed to me. They're pretty much the only mobile games I've spent any actual time on. :shobon:

Do you think World Cruise Story is worth loving with Bluestacks?

Bluestacks didn't take me more then 20 minutes or so to get up and running. If you're happy playing on the phone or tablet it's probably fine on either. It chews up my phone's battery like it's on fire, and my wife is using our tablet a lot for school, so it's just much easier (and more pleasant) for me to play on PC.

The mouse/touch controls seem a bit wonky at first, like you're not QUITE clicking where you think you are, but I got used to it quickly. Also, CNTRL-'-' or '+' zooms in or out, as you don't have multitouch pinch zoom on Bluestacks.

EDIT:
<---- PC Master race stormtrooper

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
The only issue I had with Bluestacks was that it kept telling me my google password was wrong, which eventually turned out to be because I have two-factor authentication enabled and Bluestacks needed a one-time password. Other than that it was easy to set up, and it makes playing Kairosoft games at home way more comfortable.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So if I like Gamedev story and Grandprix story do y'all think I would like Stable story?

edit: also does anyone know what the process is to buy the app on amazon and get it on your droid?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Herr Tog posted:

So if I like Gamedev story and Grandprix story do y'all think I would like Stable story?

edit: also does anyone know what the process is to buy the app on amazon and get it on your droid?

Stable is approximately the combination of Grand Prix with any of their city building games (but there are no building combos that I can find out).

I think it's real fun and there's a sorta awesome breeding portion of the game that you have to master to be able to win the top level races.

So, your standard horses start with two special stats. When you breed a horse, you combine X1Y1 with X2Y2 in sequence. If Y1=X2, you double the value of Y1 instead, so if you have a horse with S V and you breed with a V G, you get a horse that has S Vx2 G. Then you breed that horse with a G (something) horse and you get S Vx2 Gx2 and so on and so forth. It's pretty basic, but pretty awesome I think and now that I get it, my second playthrough will work out a lot better than my first one. I don't know that I'll get a horse that can beat a G1 race with the first playthrough.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

I beat G1 with a second gen horse. Just use your other horses to win money to pump up your primary horse with advanced training, and it shouldn't be too difficult. Make sure you're training your jockeys as well since their stats carry on to new game+ and are necessary for some of the longer races.

Winning the triple crown took more planning for the final result, though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

You and everyone else, man. There's quite a few game ideas out there floating around that are suspiciously missing from the App Store but would sell fantastically. Like, a decent sim game that doesn't take months to make serious progress in. I think it's funny that Kairosoft games are pretty much the only sim games without timers, but only because they all existed before the idea of timers. I'm not totally against the 'treadmill model', (where a game is barely a game because your input doesn't really affect much) but I'd love to see less of it.

If the person/entity holding the rights to Master of Magic released an iPad version for :10bux: I would not be able to buy it fast enough.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I've managed to win everything but the Chimpan Cup and Kairo Memorial Cup (and what might come after those, if there are any) by year 14 in my first game. Chimpan was a close one, but even with 620 stamina my horse gets exhausted before reaching the finish line and gets bypassed close to the goal. I've got a 6 year old horse that's still trotting along, and is training constantly so that it might close those last few meters before the finish line without getting overtaken. If only I had AB: Speed II or the Drill that lets me train Jockeys past 99 Drive...

Even after they hit 5-6 years, the only stat that is reduced seems to be strength, and even though the stats are listed as maxed out, training on a course will in increase them by 1-2 indefinitely up to twice per month. Fatigue becomes a much bigger problem the older they get, but apart from that they don't seem too badly affected by old age.

Bonus picture: The most powerful horse I have, who ironically is the only second+ generation horse not to win both triple crowns because it's terrible on dirt tracks and even the AB: Dirt talent couldn't fix it.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 28, 2013

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I have clearly made many mistakes in my game. I didn't breed anything until Year 10. I was just buying new horses every time I researched a new one.

There wasn't any real obvious indication that breeding was so amazingly superior to buying new horses so I just didn't.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

If you've given up on your game I'd just pump money into jockeys and try to unlock more pedigrees so you can plan for better breeding next time.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I upgraded the Kairo Beam down to 3 slots and the Superalloy Spear down to 2 slots and then started a new game, and now I can't capture any monsters to help me farm poo poo because even pull punches one shots everything. :laugh:

I suppose I could equip a weaker weapon but screw it because this is funny.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

It's worth leaving a medal-farm game running for a few hours (save/reload every one to get the 10 passive medal cap and not waste them). I basically let the game run over most of sat/sun while playing other games (lotro/Dark Souls) and having the a bunch of gear down to 1 slot is amazing. Max leveled beam, armor, 2 elemental charms (C grade) and the top-tier healing spell means my kairobot is basically an unstoppable god because even if something does good damage to him through his ~800 defense, he has several thousand HP and about 130 int so he can just heal 4-digits of HP.

In a new game I don't see any reason you'd have to capture early, weak enemies. kill them all and just start capturing stuff an island or two in to it.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

AG3 posted:

I've managed to win everything but the Chimpan Cup and Kairo Memorial Cup (and what might come after those, if there are any) by year 14 in my first game. Chimpan was a close one, but even with 620 stamina my horse gets exhausted before reaching the finish line and gets bypassed close to the goal. I've got a 6 year old horse that's still trotting along, and is training constantly so that it might close those last few meters before the finish line without getting overtaken. If only I had AB: Speed II or the Drill that lets me train Jockeys past 99 Drive...

Even after they hit 5-6 years, the only stat that is reduced seems to be strength, and even though the stats are listed as maxed out, training on a course will in increase them by 1-2 indefinitely up to twice per month. Fatigue becomes a much bigger problem the older they get, but apart from that they don't seem too badly affected by old age.

Bonus picture: The most powerful horse I have, who ironically is the only second+ generation horse not to win both triple crowns because it's terrible on dirt tracks and even the AB: Dirt talent couldn't fix it.

With this horse for example, what do the letter ratings at the side mean? Is it something like the amount of that stat they pass on to the next gen of horses? I mean this guy has an E for intensity but it's higher than any other stat. I've been breeding for traits but I think I'm gonna start ignoring that and just breed with the best horses available again now I've got some of the advanced ones, unfortunately that's gonna drop off the 2x skills I got from earlier gens. The base potentials of the earlier horse breeds just don't seem adequate for winning the high end races.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

trashcangammy posted:

With this horse for example, what do the letter ratings at the side mean? Is it something like the amount of that stat they pass on to the next gen of horses? I mean this guy has an E for intensity but it's higher than any other stat. I've been breeding for traits but I think I'm gonna start ignoring that and just breed with the best horses available again now I've got some of the advanced ones, unfortunately that's gonna drop off the 2x skills I got from earlier gens. The base potentials of the earlier horse breeds just don't seem adequate for winning the high end races.

Oh, the letters in that screen are for different stats. You can see them very vaguely in the background behind each letter, but you need to scroll down to a different screen to see what the letters mean. From top to bottom they are Temper (I think was the name), Gate, Smarts and Strength.

Temper is consumed when your horse tries to overtake other horses by sprinting, runs out of stamina or speeds up on the last stretch before the goal. Gate affects how smoothly the horse can get out of the gates at the start of the race. Smarts affects how easy it is for the horse to learn higher level abilities without using medals, and Strength affects fatigue and recovery. Strength gradually fades as the horse gets older.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 1, 2013

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
For Pocket Academy, how do you get a decent money flow going outside of Challenges? I'm doing okay, but I'm basically going month to month hoping that I can get some kid sent off for forced slave labora scholastic contest to get some extra dough in for research.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

duckfarts posted:

For Pocket Academy, how do you get a decent money flow going outside of Challenges? I'm doing okay, but I'm basically going month to month hoping that I can get some kid sent off for forced slave labora scholastic contest to get some extra dough in for research.

Pocket Academy is probably the Kairosoft game where money is the tightest for me. I never felt like I had a decent surplus of money, and until the latter third or quarter of the game I was pretty much living month to month too. Teacher expenses can really screw you over in this game. I recommend reading a couple of posts down in this GameFAQs thread to see a list of the teachers that are best and worst value for your money based on their max stats, and avoid the worst ones if you can.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

AG3 posted:

Oh, the letters in that screen are for different stats.

Christ it never occurred to me, that it'd be for the secondaries. Right next to the main stats is such a strange place to put it. Cheers mate.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Is there any way to make Game Dev Story (and the "older" iOS games) sharper and less blurry like Dungeon Village? (maybe editing a plist file or something) :(

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I'm in the minority, but I actually really enjoyed Hot Springs Story. Sushi Spinnery I think is my favorite.

I just started in on Pocket Stables and it's been decent enough, but I also didn't enjoy Grand Prix Story. Have been mostly enjoying Dream House Days, though there are some frustrating bits, especially when the students are old enough to want to move out of their parents' place, but they do their move-out sequence before the retirees move out, so you end up with empty apartments which could have been filled by those students if they swapped the order.

And I never really could get into Beastie Bay or Kairobotica.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I loved Beastie Bay, but probably because I also love the old Sim City games and Pokemon type monster collection stuff. It's definitely not for everyone.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Apparently, Sushi Spinnery is on the Japanese iOS store now. Anybody with a JP account want to take a peek at the port? It's English-localized, I believe.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Teddybear posted:

Apparently, Sushi Spinnery is on the Japanese iOS store now. Anybody with a JP account want to take a peek at the port? It's English-localized, I believe.

I played it on my Kindle Fire a little while ago - pretty great. It's a combination of the two types of Kairosoft games - area layout and ingredient combining. Lots of things to test, upgrade, and unlock.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

I played it on my Kindle Fire a little while ago - pretty great. It's a combination of the two types of Kairosoft games - area layout and ingredient combining. Lots of things to test, upgrade, and unlock.

Oh boy! :3: The most frustrating thing is that Kairosoft is like the only company that has more games on other platforms than iOS, and I wish they'd be better about porting them over. Also the massive lagtime between when a game shows up in the Japanese store and the American one...

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I'm playing Edo Towns right now. It's my first Kairosoft game, and I'm enjoying it, but there are a few things that are tripping me up. One of the big challenges it figuring out the secret combos. There's obviously no trick to this beyond trial and error, but I can't shake the feeling that if I wasn't a filthy gaijin with no understanding of Japanese sensibilities and tastes, I could make better guesses and unlock combos more often :v:

But anyway, what I'd really like to know is, what does yield actually do? Does a store with more yield get visited more often, leading to more gold revenue? What does household yield do? I guess I'm not understanding if yield is just a numerical representation of 'economic power' or if it's a value on which my gold revenue depends (ie is calculated to determine how often I get a transaction tick that pays into my usable gold funds). I know that the amount of gold I get per transaction is dependent on store price level, but is transaction frequency a function of yield or is yield a representation of transaction frequency?

Also, could anyone explain why my stores and institutions seem to generally turn a profit while my fields and wholesalers always seem to run a deficit? Is that just usually how it is, or should I be trying to fix it?

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
World Cruise Story came out in 2012 and it's still not on iOS? Ugh :(

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

so how does Kairobotica compare to the rest of the games?

I just realized there are a handful of games on Android that aren't on iOS and I'm wondering which to get.

Pryaplex and Dream House Days don't look super interesting, Sushi Spinnery maybe, Kairobotica looks like Dungeon Village and that one was pretty decent. World Cruise maybe looks good too, but I'm not sure.

I might just wait for a sale, but I'm curious if any of these are really unique or if they're just +1's off the previous games like most Kairosoft games (which ain't a bad thing, but I didn't enjoy Hot Springs or Venture Towns nearly as much as say Grand Prix or Pocket Racer)

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So Kairosoft released Ninja Village on Android. It looks like a combination if grand strategy, city builder, and ninja-on-ninja warfare. Still no sight of anything being released on the US iOS store, because Kairosoft hates the iOS. :negative:

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

nutranurse posted:

So Kairosoft released Ninja Village on Android. It looks like a combination if grand strategy, city builder, and ninja-on-ninja warfare. Still no sight of anything being released on the US iOS store, because Kairosoft hates the iOS. :negative:

To further that note, guess what Kairo released in Japanese for Android?

Pocket League Story 2.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

gently caress everything. :negative:

Is the iOS app approval process that arbitrarily bad that it scares Kairosoft off, or is this just a case of Capcom-esque random business decisions?

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

nutranurse posted:

gently caress everything. :negative:

Is the iOS app approval process that arbitrarily bad that it scares Kairosoft off, or is this just a case of Capcom-esque random business decisions?

Kairosoft has supposedly said that it is harder for them code-wise to port their things to iOS than to Android. Maybe Android jives better with the format of the original versions of the games?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I Watson posted:

Kairosoft has supposedly said that it is harder for them code-wise to port their things to iOS than to Android. Maybe Android jives better with the format of the original versions of the games?

Okay, I understand that problem, but the iOS market is a lot bigger and a lot more conducive to paying for content than the Android market. I'd reckon it'd be worth the hassle to do.

But maybe I'm biased because I just wanna run a cruise ship and race horses and have a new soccer team and have robots and sushi shops and oh god I need a fix :3:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Teddybear posted:

Okay, I understand that problem, but the iOS market is a lot bigger and a lot more conducive to paying for content than the Android market. I'd reckon it'd be worth the hassle to do.

I could have sworn that the Android market is larger.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

nutranurse posted:

I could have sworn that the Android market is larger.

It's userbase is larger but I believe it boils down to it being massively fragmented due to so many variations of hardware and OS and a much bigger piracy problem than IOS.

However Kairo have always been Android first (presumably because their titles aren't exactly pushing hardware boundaries) with IOS later and appears to have little interest in changing, they only started making universal apps when Dungeon Village appeared.

I never got past my first season of Pocket League footy even though I quite liked the idea and implementation. I really should try and get at least one playthrough done. Too many games, not enough playtime >.<

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Fazana posted:

It's userbase is larger but I believe it boils down to it being massively fragmented due to so many variations of hardware and OS and a much bigger piracy problem than IOS.

The complexity in Android involves games that have assets that don't scale well on different screen sizes, a problem Kairosoft games do not have.

The piracy problem is also somewhat overstated by significant margins, it's just as easy (if not more) to pirate on iOS these days.

Kairosoft games are visually not so complex, it's not shocking that they'd get ported first and seem to sell pretty well at 5 bucks a pop, which is something iOS doesn't do well. People freak the gently caress out if something is more than $2 on iOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

The disturbing thing should be that it looks like Pocket League Story 2 is freemium, which might mean it's one of those that sucks without paying for IAP. Hopefully it's just pay 5 bucks for ad-free.

• Locked thread