Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

The 18-135 has a faster and pretty much silent autofocus. You can also override the autofocus at any time by moving the focus ring. The downside is that the focus ring isn't mechanically hooked to anything, so it has a sloppy feel to it.

I'm really happy with it now that I know how to turn on back button focusing. I can leave the auto focus on, hit the button on the back to focus, make adjustments manually, then take a shot and the shutter button won't try and refocus.

All in all, I would say that the 18-135 is a little more jack-of-all-trades than the 18-55, having more zoom and the autofocus override.

I'd actually been thinking about getting the 18-135 despite having the 18-55 already. It'd be a snype up from what I currently have, especially with the quiet AF.

One TINY thing to note is that focus-by-wire lenses (the ones with the non mechanically linked focus rings) are a pain in the rear end if you're doing video and are doing manual focus pulls, since the actual focus movement isn't necessarily all that linear or repeatable on focus by wire (especially if you got past one of the 'stops' for near and infinity).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

I'd actually been thinking about getting the 18-135 despite having the 18-55 already. It'd be a snype up from what I currently have, especially with the quiet AF.

One TINY thing to note is that focus-by-wire lenses (the ones with the non mechanically linked focus rings) are a pain in the rear end if you're doing video and are doing manual focus pulls, since the actual focus movement isn't necessarily all that linear or repeatable on focus by wire (especially if you got past one of the 'stops' for near and infinity).

I borrowed my buddies NIKON 18-135 for a few weeks when he got his D80 (YEARS AGO) and I liked it. For me its a good general use lens for anyone just starting out or wants to not lug around the holy trinity of glass. With today's ISO performance the slow apertures wont hold you back much at the wide end anyways.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I don't think there's really a modern lens out there today that is objectively "bad". Maybe not the best for the money, but even the worst modern lens will hold it's own, especially for someone who's just starting out. You really have to start pixel peeping to see the differences.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

I don't think there's really a modern lens out there today that is objectively "bad". Maybe not the best for the money, but even the worst modern lens will hold it's own, especially for someone who's just starting out. You really have to start pixel peeping to see the differences.

This is the honest truth.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

You really have to start pixel peeping to see the differences.

Can we agree that this is a wasteful worthless effort. Just take some pictures. :snoop:

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Some lenses are objectively sharper than others, but the difference to most people is negligible. Not to mention people talk about how awesome some exotic and expensive 85mm 1.2 is, then shoot wide open and miss focus anyway.

I for some reason must shoot wide open always and I probably have shittier pictures than someone with a kit lens because of it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

CarrotFlowers posted:

Some lenses are objectively sharper than others, but the difference to most people is negligible. Not to mention people talk about how awesome some exotic and expensive 85mm 1.2 is, then shoot wide open and miss focus anyway.

I for some reason must shoot wide open always and I probably have shittier pictures than someone with a kit lens because of it.

Gotta get that bokeh

I recently started using my 35/1.8 at 2.8 or 3.5 around the house and I feel pretty dirty for it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

FISHMANPET posted:

Gotta get that bokeh

I recently started using my 35/1.8 at 2.8 or 3.5 around the house and I feel pretty dirty for it.

This is the sort of thing you shouldn't think.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

It's my impression that when you're spending the :20bux: for more expensive lenses where you're mostly getting the performance at the fringe use cases, like at the corners at the widest apertures, or extreme contrast of subjects or even for zoom at the widest or longest ends of the length. That's not to say there aren't other improvements in general though.

Set the lens to f/8 and go hog wild.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I didn't shell out no two hundred dollars to set my 35 at no f/3.5 :colbert:

Instead I spent it to get exacting sharpness on Taters nose while his eyes stay just a tad soft. God drat it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Eegah posted:

I didn't shell out no two hundred dollars to set my 35 at no f/3.5 :colbert:

Instead I spent it to get exacting sharpness on Taters nose while his eyes stay just a tad soft. God drat it.

To hell with face detection, I'd pay good money for "eye nearest the camera" detection.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

To hell with face detection, I'd pay good money for "eye nearest the camera" detection.

The OM-D will do that (it can do either nearest eye, or you can force select left or right eye).

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Is it hard to just put the focus cross hair on the eye, focus then recom..... oh, i forgot where i was:snoop:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Musket posted:

Is it hard to just put the focus cross hair on the eye, focus then recom..... oh, i forgot where i was:snoop:

Is it hard to manual focus?

Is it hard to shoot film

Is it hard to use an external light meter?

Is it hard to load sheet film and shoot 4x5?

Just because something is easy and more convenient doesn't make it a bad thing.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
There's an eyelash in my viewfinder. It doesn't show up in photographs. Should I be concerned and how would I go about removing it?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

beergod posted:

There's an eyelash in my viewfinder. It doesn't show up in photographs. Should I be concerned and how would I go about removing it?

Try using a rocket blower or compressed air canister.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Like remove the lens and blow the air into the camera?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

beergod posted:

Yep. I've had the best results facing the camera body downward and firing the shutter a few times while using the rocket blower. Seems to help dislodge things.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

beergod posted:

That depends on where the eyelash is located. Viewfinder, prism box, focusing screen, mirror?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
This is why you just always use Live View.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Eegah posted:

This is why you just always use Live View.

This is a Wrong Opinion.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

There's something amazing about a nice viewfinder. I just ordered a Sony a850 off eBay, and one of the main reasons was because of its giant viewfinder.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I don't shoot Nikon but I'll just leave this here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D5100-16-2-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-Only-/150985303396

Peever
Nov 14, 2004

This shit's chess, it ain't checkers! Shit. They build jails 'cause of me.
Is there a big difference going from a 250mm shot to 300mm? I have a Canon EF-S 55-250mm lens and was wondering if getting the Tamron SP 70-300mm would be an improvement? I would mainly be shooting wildlife with that lens.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
The OP is probably more helpful than any guide or manual I've read yet, if only I could find more helpful-practical advice rather than empty factual instructions [i'm a newbie, don't quote f-stops at me just yet!]

Brought a Nikon D3100 about a month ago now and absolutely loving it, as usual the internet tells me how to do stuff right, first time around. Loving the challenge of manual mode. Using the newbie kit lens [18-55mm]. I think my next lens will be macro as I love getting close up images with amazing sharpness. Got a tripod yesterday too, so can tell this is going to be a great little hobby to invest in.

Here's a question, more so about law I guess [UK]. I like to write informal reviews about food/restaurants and I like to photograph what I eat and possibly the surroundings if there are no people in the shot. I've been using my iPhone 4 for a quick snap, but now I will possibly bring the SLR.

The iPhone was ok to take snide images because it's quick and easy, but I can imagine the camera will draw attention. I did some very brief googling, but I was wondering where do we stand with photography such as this? It's not of people, merely objects that I am about to devour, or places.

I tried a place today but felt, I dunno, guilty/ naughty for even attempting to take a few shots? MAYBE THEY THINK I'M A TERRORIST? Arrest that man, he's taking pictures of cookies. Certainly interested to hear the score.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you're on public grounds you can tell anyone to gently caress off.

http://www.sirimo.co.uk/2009/05/14/uk-photographers-rights-v2/

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 17, 2013

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target
The worst that can happen is that you'll get kicked out of wherever you're eating. Most places couldn't give a gently caress however.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Peever posted:

Is there a big difference going from a 250mm shot to 300mm? I have a Canon EF-S 55-250mm lens and was wondering if getting the Tamron SP 70-300mm would be an improvement? I would mainly be shooting wildlife with that lens.

I think the difference between 250-300mm is negligible, however the difference between that 55-250mm EF-S and nearly any other zoom in that range is going to be noticeable. It's a decent lens I suppose, but compared with the Canon 70-300mm USM or that Tamron VC is night and day. (I've only used the Canon, by the way, but have heard awesome things about the Tamron).

If you plan to do wildlife, the benefits of a better overall zoom lens will be worth it to you, such as faster focusing and better IS.

edit: Oh yeah, and get ready for them to get much heavier than that 55-250. Something that may be a consideration for you.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Headhunter posted:

The worst that can happen is that you'll get kicked out of wherever you're eating. Most places couldn't give a gently caress however.

I thought as much.

Also, is there a a good desktop photo sharing site that's got more of a social thing going for it? I love flickr and it's sets, but I find it's more of a museum than a community/place for inspiration. Love the hell out of instagram for it's snap and tag abilities.

Maybe i'll just keep uploading my junk to flickr and somewhere, somehow someone might stumble across my wittle snaps.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm selling something in SA Mart that might be appropriate as a first DSLR, but I don't wanna link it in this thread if that's gonna be a problem. Anybody got a problem?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

jackpot posted:

I'm selling something in SA Mart that might be appropriate as a first DSLR, but I don't wanna link it in this thread if that's gonna be a problem. Anybody got a problem?

If you link it anywhere in Dorkroom it has to comply with the buy/sell thread rules ideally.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

simosimo posted:

I thought as much.

Also, is there a a good desktop photo sharing site that's got more of a social thing going for it? I love flickr and it's sets, but I find it's more of a museum than a community/place for inspiration. Love the hell out of instagram for it's snap and tag abilities.

Maybe i'll just keep uploading my junk to flickr and somewhere, somehow someone might stumble across my wittle snaps.

I'm only just getting into this stuff myself, but 500px seems pretty neat to me. Not sure how social it is, since most of the comments on pictures just seem to be "cool picture, please check out my stuff," but the flow layout you get every time you first open the site is nice to look at and (at least to me) full of amazing pictures. It's good for getting a sense of what people like, if nothing else.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

simosimo posted:

I thought as much.

Facebook?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

simosimo posted:

What? People who hate the "social thing" hate flickr for that reason.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

simosimo posted:

The OP is probably more helpful than any guide or manual I've read yet, if only I could find more helpful-practical advice rather than empty factual instructions [i'm a newbie, don't quote f-stops at me just yet!]

Brought a Nikon D3100 about a month ago now and absolutely loving it, as usual the internet tells me how to do stuff right, first time around. Loving the challenge of manual mode. Using the newbie kit lens [18-55mm]. I think my next lens will be macro as I love getting close up images with amazing sharpness. Got a tripod yesterday too, so can tell this is going to be a great little hobby to invest in.

Here's a question, more so about law I guess [UK]. I like to write informal reviews about food/restaurants and I like to photograph what I eat and possibly the surroundings if there are no people in the shot. I've been using my iPhone 4 for a quick snap, but now I will possibly bring the SLR.

The iPhone was ok to take snide images because it's quick and easy, but I can imagine the camera will draw attention. I did some very brief googling, but I was wondering where do we stand with photography such as this? It's not of people, merely objects that I am about to devour, or places.

I tried a place today but felt, I dunno, guilty/ naughty for even attempting to take a few shots? MAYBE THEY THINK I'M A TERRORIST? Arrest that man, he's taking pictures of cookies. Certainly interested to hear the score.

Shop owners will kindly tell you to gently caress off. More and more are getting fed up with food photos. Its not as bad when its a cellphone or a tiny crappy point and shoot, most find DSLRs as crossing the line. Recently (saturday) I watched 3 people asked to kindly put their cameras away by wait-staff. One protested, manager kindly told them to leave. There is a movement to curb this type of distracting photography within the food world. Be mindful of it and dont be a jerk when asked to put your camera away.

As for where to share your boring food photos? we have a thread in here where you will be mocked accordingly (if you dont shoot 120/4x5)and you should probably just stick to facebook/tumblr/flickr as your social sharing sites.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Musket posted:

More and more are getting fed up with food photos. Its not as bad when its a cellphone or a tiny crappy point and shoot, most find DSLRs as crossing the line. Recently (saturday) I watched 3 people asked to kindly put their cameras away by wait-staff. One protested, manager kindly told them to leave.
Who the gently caress does that when people shoot the food they just ordered?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Who the gently caress does that when people shoot the food they just ordered?

Places that are fed up with the commotion of it all. I can name dozens of places ive eaten, local and not that have flat out told patrons to put their cameras away and eat.

May not be a major distraction at Applebees but it is when its a place that seats less than 20.

The advice is to be mindful of your surroundings and not be an insufferable tool with a camera.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Haha. If you mind my 30s of pointing a flashless DLSR at the food I just bought chances are I don't want to eat where you work.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
There was an article about this in the Guardian just last week. Turns out you can even take food photography courses.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/mar/11/food-photography-is-it-ok?INTCMP=SRCH

And this is the original one with the actual debate.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2009/jul/27/manners-etiquette-modern-camera

Really I wouldn't bother with anything other than a camera phone with flash turned off.

sweek0 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Haha. If you mind my 30s of pointing a flashless DLSR at the food I just bought chances are I don't want to eat where you work.

Chances are those places dont need your business either. :toot:

• Locked thread