Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Man you guys get pissy about weird stuff.

Take photos if you want, if you get asked to put your camera away, be polite and do so. Done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

CarrotFlowers posted:

Take photos if you want, if you get asked to put your camera away, be polite and do so. Done.

Seriously.

If someone busts out their DSLR at McDonalds to take photos documenting just how unusually halfassed their burger looks, that's probably pretty funny.

If someone busts out said DSLR at an actual good restaurant (the Olive Garden is not "good"), I'd probably think they were a gigantic tool who should just put their giant camera away and enjoy their meal, and also wonder why the gently caress they brought their camera to dinner.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I probably wouldn't bring my DSLR on an average dinner out, but I have it with me on vacation.

Of all the things that go on in restaurants, I never thought of taking pics of your food as something anyone cared about. Are people setting up light stands or something? Most wait staff are happy to take a photo of your party during dinner, so it seems a weird thing to get your panties in a bunch about.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Most wait staff are happy to take a photo of your party during dinner

At the Olive Garden?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Musket posted:

Chances are those places dont need your business either. :toot:
Probably not :toot: ?

I've been to plenty of starred joints, and never once been hassled.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I've rarely received much attitude at restaurants. If you're polite and don't come off as a cheap rear end, they're usually pretty indulgent.

It just seems weird to me that a place would spend the effort to plate things really nicely and then give you attitude for wanting to take a photo of it.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Not to mention, it's drat near impossible to take a photo of something under normal restaurant lighting and have it be anywhere near appetizing, and that goes double if you're using instagram filters on it. "Check out this delicious meal I'm about to eat - gaze upon its yellowish, stale beauty as I work my "Valencia" magic on it!"

Mmmm...pasta!

(above picture is tagged #delicious, #OliveGarden, and #foodie, which ought to be a crime in itself)

If I owned a restaurant, that would be my number one reason for banning cameras: the resulting photos are more likely to scare away customers than bring them in.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

jackpot posted:

picture is tagged #delicious, #OliveGarden, and #foodie
That person knows so little about food I'd loathe to hear what he thinks of anything else.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
LA radio station morning show had waiters call in to complain and one of the top complains was people taking pictures of their food. *shrugs* Just tip well and they'll probably forget about it.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Probably not :toot: ?

I've been to plenty of starred joints, and never once been hassled.

MY RITES!!!! Seriously, shut up and put your camera away and enjoy your Chipotle or whatever.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Some people like to take pictures of their food. (Including me, and 99% of other asian people) Most restaurants don't care and I think that's the way it should be. It's dumb to feel annoyed by this, because eventually we're going to be running live feeds from our eyeballs anyways. Some guy asked a bunch of famous chefs on twitter what they thought, and the general consensus was "they paid, who cares" to "it's good advertisement", with everyone agreeing on "turn your flash off." I really think it's the minority of people who care, and it's really to their detriment.

Here's a good example... I went to a bread counter and wanted to take a photo in order to share with people that I am getting some delicious bread from this delicious place. The moment I pulled my phone out, every employee yelled in unison "no photos!" Congratulations, you just ruined my bread buying experience, and now I am going to tell no one about you. And there was no point in not allowing photos. There's no privacy or distraction issues. I have no idea why they didn't allow photos but it really soured my experience because it was rude and there was no point to it.

The arbitrary distinction between dslr/cameras with a removable lenses and not is stupid too, considering the quality of point & shoots these days (or something like the X100).

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The "no flash" rule is pretty good, but most people (in my experience) don't know how to turn theirs off, and don't think about it until after the shot anyway. "Did my flash go off? Oh, sorry, I don't know why it did that" gets old quickly, and given the general cluelessness it's probably just easier to say "no photos" than to have dozens of accidental flashes going off.

Weirdly, in northern Manitoba I've been told "no pictures!" in bars and restaurants. If you pull out a camera, a server is right on you politely telling you to put it away before you can turn it on, even a phone. I haven't discovered the reason for it, yet, though I speculate it has something to do with the large First Nations (aka "Indian" or "Native American") population. But that's a wild guess.

Getting back to "My First DSLR", my first DSLR is getting a little long in the tooth. Does anybody have any recommendations for where to send a Pentax K10D for a Clean/Lube/Coolant Flush? I'm in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada if that makes a difference.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

ExecuDork posted:

The "no flash" rule is pretty good, but most people (in my experience) don't know how to turn theirs off, and don't think about it until after the shot anyway. "Did my flash go off? Oh, sorry, I don't know why it did that" gets old quickly, and given the general cluelessness it's probably just easier to say "no photos" than to have dozens of accidental flashes going off.

Weirdly, in northern Manitoba I've been told "no pictures!" in bars and restaurants. If you pull out a camera, a server is right on you politely telling you to put it away before you can turn it on, even a phone. I haven't discovered the reason for it, yet, though I speculate it has something to do with the large First Nations (aka "Indian" or "Native American") population. But that's a wild guess.

Getting back to "My First DSLR", my first DSLR is getting a little long in the tooth. Does anybody have any recommendations for where to send a Pentax K10D for a Clean/Lube/Coolant Flush? I'm in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada if that makes a difference.

Do they have goodwill stores in Canada?

Maybe canadian ebay?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

Do they have goodwill stores in Canada?

Maybe canadian ebay?

Also known as 'eBay'.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

Your local camera place should be able take care of a CLA for your K10. Pentax might do it too. Joke response: Mail it to MrDespair.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Musket posted:

Your local camera place should be able take care of a CLA for your K10. Pentax might do it too. Joke response: Mail it to MrDespair.

Get them to check the brake discs too, the K10 is pretty hard on them things.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

There's a guy on my local craigslist who has been posting the same Nikon N5005 every week for the past 4 years for $300, you should ask if he's interested in a trade.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I think this is a begginner question, but I can go somewhere else if it's not...

I'm looking to take some risque pictures of my wife, and I'm not sure where to start.

I have horrid memories of doing this back in college with some $100 P&S with the flash on, so I get nervous thinking about how I'd do it now. I've got a D5100 with a 35/1.8 and 50/1.8, so I think I'm settled in that department. The only thing I'm not sure about is lighting. I'm thinking I'm going to need something like an SB-700 that I can bounce off the ceiling, since I don't want anything too harsh, right?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

So I think this is a begginner question, but I can go somewhere else if it's not...

I'm looking to take some risque pictures of my wife, and I'm not sure where to start.

I have horrid memories of doing this back in college with some $100 P&S with the flash on, so I get nervous thinking about how I'd do it now. I've got a D5100 with a 35/1.8 and 50/1.8, so I think I'm settled in that department. The only thing I'm not sure about is lighting. I'm thinking I'm going to need something like an SB-700 that I can bounce off the ceiling, since I don't want anything too harsh, right?

I've used that *exact* setup. D5100, 35/1.8 and SB700. Bouncing off the ceiling or wall gave pretty good results.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

FISHMANPET posted:

Ceiling bounce is awesome and yes an SB700 would be perfect for this, but if your ceilings aren't laffo high and aren't painted black and you can kick up the ISO a bit, find a makeup mirror and tape it in front of the popup flash at 45 degrees and bounce that. Sometimes it works.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Got a friend that shoots Nikon with an SB-700 he'll let me borrow.

Ironically enough he'll hand it over to the wife next time they see each other, which could very likely be for a risque shoot.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Buddy you don't need to tell us what it's for.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

Got a friend that shoots Nikon with an SB-700 he'll let me borrow.

Ironically enough he'll hand it over to the wife next time they see each other, which could very likely be for a risque shoot.

Ya done slid down the slippery slope. Next step, Model Mayham profile...

Ceiling bounce will work fine and feel free to mess around with using the flash in manual mode to play with light output for more "art".

BobTheDestroyer
Dec 21, 2011
Whats everyones opinion on the "superzoom" group of lenses? eg: Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Lens

Is the convenience of having one lens vs slightly lower quality shots/barrel distortion worth it?

I'm a rank amateur with a 600D but a desire to move on from the stock lens. I'm also pretty lazy so if one lens can do the job of two, I'll go with one for sure

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

BobTheDestroyer posted:

Is the convenience of having one lens vs slightly lower quality shots/barrel distortion worth it?

No.

If it was worth it, every photojournalist would have that lens and nothing else.

But they don't.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I suspect that photojournalists would use superzooms if they could get them with f/2.8 apertures. Photojournalists aren’t the pixel‐peeping sort. I’ve seen some excellent photojournalism done with cameraphones, for instance.

That said, superzooms suck and you should never buy one.

BobTheDestroyer
Dec 21, 2011

Platystemon posted:

I suspect that photojournalists would use superzooms if they could get them with f/2.8 apertures. Photojournalists aren’t the pixel‐peeping sort. I’ve seen some excellent photojournalism done with cameraphones, for instance.

That said, superzooms suck and you should never buy one.

Fair enough, thanks for stopping me wasting my money.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I'm borrowing an SB-700, how the hell do I use this thing?

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

So I'm borrowing an SB-700, how the hell do I use this thing?

You put it on the camera, turn it on, and take pictures :v:

Seriously, though, if you're relying on i-TTL exposure, that's all you need to do, especially if you're using Program mode. Even with bounce flash, the camera can figure out the exposure pretty well on its own. Just watch the ready light and make sure that it doesn't blink after a shot, since that means you ran out of flash power. If that happens, the flash will tell you how many stops it thinks it underexposed. If you feel like you need more or less light in the scene, both the camera and the flash have flash exposure compensation settings you can adjust.

If you want to get really fancy and play around with manual exposures, here's a guide.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

FISHMANPET posted:

FISHMANPET posted:

evil_bunnY posted:

Buddy you don't need to tell us what it's for.
I think we're a few hours away from a FISHMANPET thread asking "Help me critique these risque pictures of my wife."

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

jackpot posted:

I think we're a few hours away from a FISHMANPET thread asking "Help me critique these risque pictures of my wife."

No, no we're not.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Don't worry, we're not.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

Don't worry, we're not.