Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

DGK2000 posted:

Can I ask how much more zoom you get compared to a 18-55mm lens? I've got the kit lens that came with my Rebel T3 and I found that I just can't get some of those far away shots that I crave.

Five more zoom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

DGK2000 posted:

Can I ask how much more zoom you get compared to a 18-55mm lens? I've got the kit lens that came with my Rebel T3 and I found that I just can't get some of those far away shots that I crave.

You get a lot. Here's a handy tool to give you an idea of how much it really is.

http://tamron-usa.com/lenses/learning_center/tools/focal-length-comparison.php

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Mr. Despair posted:

You get a lot. Here's a handy tool to give you an idea of how much it really is.

http://tamron-usa.com/lenses/learning_center/tools/focal-length-comparison.php

That was an incredibly helpful tool, thank you. That also gave me an idea of how little difference there is between a 250mm and 300mm.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ugh, my battery wasn't charging for my Nikon and I popped into the local camera shop so I could see if it was the charger or the battery.

$75 dollars later and now I have a brand new 3 ounce piece of plastic to charge my battery.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
One of my mothers-in-law has a Canon T1i with the 18-55mm and 55-250mm kit lenses. She keeps it on Auto and only considers the 55-250 a REAL zoom lens. She's adorable. I was playing with her camera tonight, and while it has the exact same buttons and layout and feel as my Xsi, the menu is so much more polished and the ISO performance blows mine out of the water. Then I was talking to another friend with the same set of lenses and a T3i going on about how people are giving him poo poo for having a bottom-of-the-line camera. I gave him some product comparisons and showed him that I can get a decent performance out of my much older/lower spec'd camera, so he should not feel in any way bad about his camera nor is it limiting his photography in any way.

I say all this to say that I am extremely happy that I have an older, somewhat limited camera, because I'm already taking far better pictures with it than I was with my crap super-zoom P&S a year ago and rather better pictures than the two above-mentioned people are, so it's letting me do my tiny, tiny part in showing people even newer than me to photography that gear does not make the photo. I also feel weird being the "photo expert" for some of my friends because I understand the exposure triangle and own Lightroom.

Also, MIL loaned me her 55-250mm lens to play with. So that's awesome.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

FISHMANPET posted:

Ugh, my battery wasn't charging for my Nikon and I popped into the local camera shop so I could see if it was the charger or the battery.

$75 dollars later and now I have a brand new 3 ounce piece of plastic to charge my battery.

You do know chargers cost like $15 from GadgetInfinity, right?

Or was this essential for the ~risque~ shoot.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Valdara posted:

One of my mothers-in-law has a Canon T1i with the 18-55mm and 55-250mm kit lenses. She keeps it on Auto and only considers the 55-250 a REAL zoom lens. She's adorable. I was playing with her camera tonight, and while it has the exact same buttons and layout and feel as my Xsi, the menu is so much more polished and the ISO performance blows mine out of the water. Then I was talking to another friend with the same set of lenses and a T3i going on about how people are giving him poo poo for having a bottom-of-the-line camera. I gave him some product comparisons and showed him that I can get a decent performance out of my much older/lower spec'd camera, so he should not feel in any way bad about his camera nor is it limiting his photography in any way.

I say all this to say that I am extremely happy that I have an older, somewhat limited camera, because I'm already taking far better pictures with it than I was with my crap super-zoom P&S a year ago and rather better pictures than the two above-mentioned people are, so it's letting me do my tiny, tiny part in showing people even newer than me to photography that gear does not make the photo. I also feel weird being the "photo expert" for some of my friends because I understand the exposure triangle and own Lightroom.

Yup, I picked up a D50 a few years back so I didn't have to pay for film anymore. I feel there are times I'm missing nice shots because of slow burst rate or low ISO, but I'm still able to produce really nice photographs. In all honesty, an 8 year old DSLR in day time taking portraits, landscape or architecture isn't much worse than a brand new one. Sports, night and indoors may be another story, but that's also largely equated out if you use a flash. In daytime, almost all cameras are equal aside from megapixels.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

SoundMonkey posted:

You do know chargers cost like $15 from GadgetInfinity, right?

Or was this essential for the ~risque~ shoot.

I was dumb and didn't think it would cost that much so I didn't even bother to look online. I figured it would be a little more expensive but it'd be OK because I could go to a store and figure out of it was the battery or the charger.

Whelp.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

I was dumb and didn't think it would cost that much so I didn't even bother to look online. I figured it would be a little more expensive but it'd be OK because I could go to a store and figure out of it was the battery or the charger.

Whelp.

The cheapo chinese 10-bux charger would also have had a power adapter for your car. TWICE THE CHARGING OPTIONS FOR 15BUX. You got ripped off, son :snoop:

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Valdara posted:

A willingness to learn and a sense of what makes a good photograph do way more for an amateur than getting better gear. At first I really hated my XSI, but once I learned to use a proper exposure and control the lighting, I'm getting really great images. Better stuff than a lot of the "pro" photographers I've met (but I live in a backwoods). I just want to do this as a hobby, but seeing that I can take good pictures makes me think I ought to find some people willing to pay me so I can at least make up for the cost of my gear. A shame I have no interest in shooting weddings.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

FISHMANPET posted:

Whelp.

Does it at least say NIKON on the charger? I'd take that poo poo back, unless it's outside their return window and even then I'd try to get it done. That's a huge difference.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's a new in box Nikon MH-24 charger. I could have saved $20 getting it online, oh well, not that big of a deal.

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012
I'm looking at a Pentax K-II as my first dslr. I have some nice old manual Pentax lenses and I like the compatibility feature, along with the weather sealing. Does anyone have a K-II or have an opinion on it?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Ethanfr0me posted:

I'm looking at a Pentax K-II as my first dslr. I have some nice old manual Pentax lenses and I like the compatibility feature, along with the weather sealing. Does anyone have a K-II or have an opinion on it?

Might wanna pole your head into the Pentax thread. Assuming it hasn't gone to archives :v:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Ethanfr0me posted:

You mean K-5II, right? Pentax's current flagship is the sequel to the widely-considered-excellent (I don't have one, yet, but I want one) K-5.

At the moment, there are two K-5II - the normal one and the K-5IIs, which costs about $100 more and has had its anti-aliasing filter amputated; the trade-offs inherent in that difference are immaterial to most photographers in most situations, but there are reasons to go either way.

A K-30 will also meet your stated wants of compatibility and weather sealing, for considerably less money. In fact, Pentax's (Ricoh's) current marketing strategy places weather sealing prominently in their advertising. My understanding is the weather sealing on pretty much all current and recently (within the last 2 years or so) discontinued DSLRs is about the same - that is, pretty drat good. Off the top of my head, I'd say you'd get good weather sealing on K-7 and K-5, but probably not on K-m, K-x, or K-r.

All Pentax DSLRs are fully compatible with all* K-mount lenses, going back to the first K-series lenses from the 1970s.

* There are some lenses that are marked or claimed by sellers to be K-mount but have a problem when mounted on autofocus cameras (including all Pentax DSLRs). But if it says "PENTAX" on the lens, it will fit on a Pentax DSLR. We can get into a discussion about this in the Pentax thread (of course it's not in archives! Canikoneers have such short attention spans).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ExecuDork posted:

* There are some lenses that are marked or claimed by sellers to be K-mount but have a problem when mounted on autofocus cameras (including all Pentax DSLRs). But if it says "PENTAX" on the lens, it will fit on a Pentax DSLR. We can get into a discussion about this in the Pentax thread (of course it's not in archives! Canikoneers have such short attention spans).

The last time I posted in that thread was to bump it back to page 1 because it was literally two days from archives :v:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

SoundMonkey posted:

The last time I posted in that thread was to bump it back to page 1 because it was literally two days from archives :v:

Still better than any of the Olympus threads.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Sup Noobs. Just posting in this thread to let yall beginners know im selling some amazing entrylevel gear for Nikon http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=144#post414522928

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Valdara posted:

:3: Some of my favorite images came from the XSi. I still miss it somedays. Having a lightweight, smaller camera is so nice in some situations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Valdara posted:

Then I was talking to another friend with the same set of lenses and a T3i going on about how people are giving him poo poo for having a bottom-of-the-line camera.

Is your friend associated with a bunch of pro photographers or something? Who would give someone poo poo about owning a "bottom-of-the-line camera"

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
I just pulled the trigger on a T3i + goodies. Kinda feel horrible knowing I just spent 670 bucks butttttt I've always wanted a DSLR.

Still though, moneyyyyy :negative:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Shogunner posted:

I just pulled the trigger on a T3i + goodies. Kinda feel horrible knowing I just spent 670 bucks butttttt I've always wanted a DSLR.

Thats not even the tip of the ice on one of my lenses. Grats, welcome to the expensive hobby.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Casu Marzu posted:

:3: Some of my favorite images came from the XSi. I still miss it somedays. Having a lightweight, smaller camera is so nice in some situations.

Thanks again! She's beautiful. And I haven't figured out how/bothered to change the EXIF data, so all the pictures are still credited to you.

Enjoy your new, terrible portfolio!

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Valdara posted:

Thanks again! She's beautiful. And I haven't figured out how/bothered to change the EXIF data, so all the pictures are still credited to you.

Enjoy your new, terrible portfolio!

There should be a tab in the options for copyright, I think it's there. But I'd keep it this way, much more hilarious.

Shogunner posted:

Welcome aboard. You'll have a blast, and stay broke.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
sorry, dp

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
Hey guys, Im looking at picking up my first DSLR and I would really like to support the local shop/local business, plus get some time handling a camera before I spend my money. Ive looked around a bit, and I didnt see a thread for local shops, so does anyone have any recommendations for a Goon in the Phoenix, AZ area? All I could find online was Tempe Camera and the reviews were less than stunning.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys. Not sure whether to ask this in the Canon thread, the Lens one or this here noobie one, but here here goes. Basically, I want to get into photography. I'm a complete beginner to the world of semi-pro photography but it interests the hell out of me so I am going to take the plunge.

I think I have made up my mind on a Canon 7D as it seems to be a good all rounder that I'm not going to grow out of any time soon. It also seems to be around my price point (Although camera prices in Australia are hosed and it varies anywhere from $960 (grey import obviously) to $2200 (gently caress that)).

Initially I will be using the camera for baby/dog photos and travel photos. Eventually I want to move into things like landscapes, street photography and panoramas.

I'm obviously not very well versed with what makes a good lens or which lens' are suitable for which situation but I'm wondering what I should be starting with. I was all set on getting one of the fixed 50ml lenses that all the threads recommend but then the OP throws a spanner in the works with a giant asterisk about crop factors. I'll use the below as examples. Should I be considering buying any of the below bundles or should I be sourcing the lens' elsewhere individually? If so, I'm guessing I will want at least a couple of lenses, so which ones should I be starting out with.

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/category577_1.htm
http://www.teds.com.au/canon-eos-7d

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

xcore posted:

stuff about getting a 7d

I took a look at those links of yours, and I'm just going to leave price out of it as I can't really make sense of those prices ($500 for the 18-55 IS kit lens?). That being said, teds.com actually carries a bundle that I was going to recommend separately. That would be getting the 7D body along with the EFS 15-85 IS USM and a 50mm prime. The 15-85 is a fantastic focal range on a crop sensor (1.6x factor for the 7D) and is the sharpest EFS lens I've used. Got the shot below on a T4i with that lens at 85mm. I've also been able to capture Multnomah Falls from the base to the top at 15mm (it's about 300 ft). I used to have the EFS 10-22mm for landscapes but replaced it with this as I didn't really need the extra 5mm on the wide end.

Then of course the nifty fifty, the plastic fantastic (http://www.teds.com.au/canon-ef-50mm-f1-8-ii). I'll be up front, I personally hate using this lens. I find its autofocus obnoxiously loud and slow, and the build quality is that of a Fisher Price toy. All that said, you can't argue with the results you get from it, especially for portraits. It's pretty awesome for those and the price sure is right.

So: 7D body with EFS 15-85mm IS USM and 50mm 1.8 prime. You'll use the 50 for dog/kid pics, the 15-85 for everything else.

All told I think that'd be like $2150 aus from teds.com. I have no idea if that's in your price range, but I can honestly say this isn't an inexpensive hobby :)

Have fun!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You can also just buy from B&H and make sure every order comes out to under $1k AUD if you're not too worried about warranty. That's where basically all my camera stuff came from when I was in Australia, except for my body which I bought used on ebay.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I was doing some basic editing in post today and I noticed that my jpegs from when I shoot in jpeg+raw are noticeably cropped vs my raws. I wouldn't care so much but I usually just throw the jpegs to facebook since it'll mangle them anyway.

Is there any way to prevent this forced cropping or should I just suck it up and do the conversions in Lightroom myself from now on? I'm assuming that the cropping is occurring in camera or while the photos are imported.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

hcenvirons posted:

I was doing some basic editing in post today and I noticed that my jpegs from when I shoot in jpeg+raw are noticeably cropped vs my raws. I wouldn't care so much but I usually just throw the jpegs to facebook since it'll mangle them anyway.

Is there any way to prevent this forced cropping or should I just suck it up and do the conversions in Lightroom myself from now on? I'm assuming that the cropping is occurring in camera or while the photos are imported.
What camera? Are they cropped (actual image area reduced) or just resized (all area still there, but smaller)?

What version of Lightroom are you using?

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I'm using a canon t3i with Lightroom 4.4. The actual jpegs straight from the camera are cropped and missing detail on all four sides while the raws aren't missing this stuff. For instance, I took a portrait shot of a friend where the jpeg cuts off part of his chin while the raw has his shirt and shoulders visible.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

How much cropping are we talking about, and does the RAW show a lot of distortion? If the RAW is distorted and the crop is slight, it could be Lightroom's attempt at perspective correction.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

hcenvirons posted:

I'm using a canon t3i with Lightroom 4.4. The actual jpegs straight from the camera are cropped and missing detail on all four sides while the raws aren't missing this stuff. For instance, I took a portrait shot of a friend where the jpeg cuts off part of his chin while the raw has his shirt and shoulders visible.

Post examples. We aint all seeing wizards ya know. :toot: I dont think perspective correction is the problem.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

It's weird. It doesn't seem like it's on all of the pictures and I can't quite figure out what it is.

Anyway, here's the same picture for an example. The first is a raw as viewed through lightroom and then exported into a jpeg. Face is covered just because I don't like upping photos of friends to photo sites.

The second is a jpeg straight from canon's import program.

On the other hand though,

is the same for both. I know I used the canon 40mm for the portrait shot and I think I might have used the tammy 17-50 for the latter. However, other photos from the same day with the tammy also have this cropping going on.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

hcenvirons posted:

It's weird. It doesn't seem like it's on all of the pictures and I can't quite figure out what it is.

Anyway, here's the same picture for an example. The first is a raw as viewed through lightroom and then exported into a jpeg. Face is covered just because I don't like upping photos of friends to photo sites.

The second is a jpeg straight from canon's import program.

On the other hand though,

is the same for both. I know I used the canon 40mm for the portrait shot and I think I might have used the tammy 17-50 for the latter. However, other photos from the same day with the tammy also have this cropping going on.

You had the 16:9 aspect ratio selected. The aspect ratio you select in the menu applies to JPEGs, not just video. RTFM :science:

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

You had the 16:9 aspect ratio selected. The aspect ratio you select in the menu applies to JPEGs, not just video. RTFM :science:

Except I didn't change any settings between those two shots or at all that day? The cropping just happens randomly regardless of which lens was being used as well. I get what you're saying but I'm not following why there are times that there's no cropping in the jpeg vs the raw.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

hcenvirons posted:

Except I didn't change any settings between those two shots or at all that day? The cropping just happens randomly regardless of which lens was being used as well. I get what you're saying but I'm not following why there are times that there's no cropping in the jpeg vs the raw.

If the camera is putting you in 16:9 randomly, might want to ask Canon why its doing that, not us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

hcenvirons posted:

RAWs will never be cropped. Were you changing modes at all, like between green box and PASM? Green box mode has its own set of settings.

• Locked thread