Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even my t1i which was a basement tier body even when new survived rolling around in desert sand and getting hit with sea spray and races under a light drizzle just fine.

I wouldn't do a color run with any camera because the crap they throw around is hilariously find powder but everything else is okay in small doses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I’ve had both my 60D and 5D in heavy downpours (not regularly though) and they worked like champs, but if I was specifically going out in the rain I’d likely use some sort of rain cover. The only issue I had afterwards was some lens fogging but that was more a temperature change issue.

e: oh yeah for colour runs definitely double bagged, tapped up, and a filter.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Double post due to dumb

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Ah, not going to worry about it excessively, then. I'll continue scoping out craigslist for good deals in the meanwhile. Thanks for your help everybody.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

xzzy posted:

Even my t1i which was a basement tier body even when new survived rolling around in desert sand and getting hit with sea spray and races under a light drizzle just fine.

I wouldn't do a color run with any camera because the crap they throw around is hilariously find powder but everything else is okay in small doses.

I wouldn't do a color run because I don't even want to breathe that poo poo.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I've got a Nikon D3300 that's having an issue with images randomly coming out excessively dark (like there's a shadow on the lens) for reasons I can't figure out.

From what I've been able to determine so far, it only occurs with one lens (a Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G lens), and seems to mostly happen in the middle of shots being taken fairly quickly, either with the shutter button or by using burst mode. As far as I can tell, it mostly happens toward the longer end of the zoom range, but tweaking the aperture and shutter settings doesn't seem to have any effect. There's no filters involved, and I've made sure the lens is clean.

I suspect this is a technique issue on my end or a setting I'm messing up, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong here.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

azflyboy posted:

I've got a Nikon D3300 that's having an issue with images randomly coming out excessively dark (like there's a shadow on the lens) for reasons I can't figure out.

From what I've been able to determine so far, it only occurs with one lens (a Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G lens), and seems to mostly happen in the middle of shots being taken fairly quickly, either with the shutter button or by using burst mode. As far as I can tell, it mostly happens toward the longer end of the zoom range, but tweaking the aperture and shutter settings doesn't seem to have any effect. There's no filters involved, and I've made sure the lens is clean.

I suspect this is a technique issue on my end or a setting I'm messing up, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Unless you are in full manual mode with auto-ISO off, this is (probably) just your camera metering each picture slightly differently.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
That lens has a variable maximum aperture, so it lets in more light when zoomed out at max aperture than it does zoomed in. Could that be it?

To test it, set to aperture priority at f/5.6 and try through a range of focal lengths.

Business of Ferrets fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 31, 2018

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
I am considering two dslr for my first dslr the cannon sl2 and the nikon d5600, what do goons think about the sl2 vs d5600?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The D5600 is a tier above the SL2 (which has its tiny size as its main selling point).

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
What are you going to do with it? What are your most common likely situations where you'll be using the camera?

How much money do you want to spend and what are your hard requirements?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

How do you feel about buying used? You would get more camera that way.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

I am 100% ok with buying used, i am planning a trip to climb mount kilimanjaro and want to take a not terrible camera with me, and i will be trying to use it from now till then to get use to it. Price wise i am looking sub $750 I know just buying the body then getting not terrible lens is the way to go.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

wargames posted:

I am 100% ok with buying used, i am planning a trip to climb mount kilimanjaro and want to take a not terrible camera with me, and i will be trying to use it from now till then to get use to it. Price wise i am looking sub $750 I know just buying the body then getting not terrible lens is the way to go.

How do you feel about shooting raw, or are you shooting jpg? The Fuji X-T1 is within your budget and I recommend Fuji for a lot of reasons but the jpg output is excellent so for people not wanting to shoot raw and edit that alone makes it a good option.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I just learned about how Fuji does their aperture/ISO/shutter speed adjustments and it seems really cool. It especially seems like it'd be a good way to learn the basics of exposure and light budgeting in general.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

President Beep posted:

I just learned about how Fuji does their aperture/ISO/shutter speed adjustments and it seems really cool. It especially seems like it'd be a good way to learn the basics of exposure and light budgeting in general.

Yeah it really is. Considering most people aren’t learning on manual film cameras these days I think Fuji is the next best way to learn, and better to learn in a lot of ways since you don’t waste film learning.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

rio posted:

How do you feel about shooting raw, or are you shooting jpg? The Fuji X-T1 is within your budget and I recommend Fuji for a lot of reasons but the jpg output is excellent so for people not wanting to shoot raw and edit that alone makes it a good option.

The x-t1 seems outside my budget since i am wanting camera + lenses for 750 or less, also the fuji lens seem more up market in cost.

thinking this might be fine

http://www.jetcameras.com/Nikon_D56...5RoCwxoQAvD_BwE

wargames fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 6, 2018

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

wargames posted:

The x-t1 seems outside my budget since i am wanting camera + lenses for 750 or less, also the fuji lens seem more up market in cost.

What lenses are you looking at? You probably wouldn’t need to go straight to a 50-140 or 56/1.2.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

suck my woke dick posted:

What lenses are you looking at? You probably wouldn’t need to go straight to a 50-140 or 56/1.2.

35 or 50 or 28

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801826184-USE/nikon_2183_af_s_dx_nikkor_35mm.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801826390-USE/nikon_2199_af_s_nikkor_50mm_f_1_8g.html

and i think this wouldn't be terrible but i do not know if an F or D lens would be good?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801826031-USE/nikon_2145_zoom_wide_angle_telephoto_af.html

or

https://www.amazon.com/NIKON-AF-S-NIKKOR-55-200mm-4-5-6G/dp/B00RUBK53Y/ref=sr_1_17?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1536244727&sr=1-17&keywords=af-s

wargames fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 6, 2018

rio
Mar 20, 2008

wargames posted:

Ah, I assumed you were going for a kit lens. A used XT1 is around 400 bucks now and you can grab good deals on used lenses - the 18-55 and body would be within the budget, you could get one f2 prime and the body and probably be within your budget too. Also it’s worth mentioning that the 18-55 is probably the best kit lens out there and calling it a kit lens is almost unfair considering how good it is. Also it has a wider aperture than other kit lenses (2.8-4)

rio fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 6, 2018

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

wargames posted:

Jetcameras is a scam site. Don't buy anything from them. Look at the reviews of the site online. After ordering someone will call you and say it is sold out, or that it doesn't come with some needed thing like a battery, or the version you ordered is not in english, but they have the one you need for $300 more, and it will probably be a grey market version with no warranty.

Do you prefer the optical viewfinder on a DSLR or an electronic viewfinder on a mirrorless camera? How important is the size, and what about weatherproofing? Do you need a flippy screen?

Consider a Pentax K-70. You get a lot of features for the price. With the 18-135 lens it is weatherproof unlike most other options in this price range.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

lampey posted:

Jetcameras is a scam site. Don't buy anything from them. Look at the reviews of the site online. After ordering someone will call you and say it is sold out, or that it doesn't come with some needed thing like a battery, or the version you ordered is not in english, but they have the one you need for $300 more, and it will probably be a grey market version with no warranty.

Do you prefer the optical viewfinder on a DSLR or an electronic viewfinder on a mirrorless camera? How important is the size, and what about weatherproofing? Do you need a flippy screen?

so no jet cameras, the nikon kit lens isn't terribad unlike most other kit lens

I have no idea if i like the optical viewfinder or electronic. I do not want huge orginal xbox controler size camera. I do like the idea of a flippy screen but really like the idea of a touch screen. weatherproofing is not high on things i need.

But compared to canon or nikon doesn't pentax lag behind in terms of auto focus? doesn't pentax do image stablize in body not in lens?

wargames fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 6, 2018

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
For landscape stuff, autofocus is almost irrelevant. Birds and sports are the main places you need killer AF, for pretty much everything else, it shouldn't be your main priority.

If you're going to be hiking a lot, I'm going to say that you'll wish your camera was smaller and lighter than it is - no matter how small and light it is already. DSLRs are pretty big and heavy. I'd strongly recommend a micro4/3rds mirrorless system for that kind of use case. Small camera, small lenses, great image quality.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
If you’re climbing you’d probably want the lightest camera possible so buy an x100 (version within your budget) or an rx100 (version within your budget)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

wargames posted:

But compared to canon or nikon doesn't pentax lag behind in terms of auto focus? doesn't pentax do image stablize in body not in lens?

I don't know about the autofocus, but yes, Pentax puts image stabilization in the body. That means every lens on a Pentax DSLR is stabilized. When you put a lens on a Pentax DSLR it recognizes the lens and sets the image stabilization accordingly, so it's not like you'll be shooting at 55mm with image stabilization appropriate for 18mm. I know this because if I put on a lens it doesn't recognize, like some old manual-focus lens (Pentax has EXCELLENT backwards compatibility - which means lots of good, cheap lenses on the second-hand market), my camera will ask me about the focal length.

The trade-off between a mirrorless and a DSLR is the DSLR has an optical viewfinder (mirrors, prisms, basically: lots of heavy glass on top) while the smaller, lighter mirrorless always sends the view to the screen. This makes for a difference in battery life, with a DSLR you can turn off instant review (the image appears on the screen after a shot) and shoot all drat day with little battery drain - keeping a LED screen lit up is the main power drain on any electronic device, spinning autofocus motors and keeping the light-meter going are trivial in comparison. Any mirrorless is going to be burning battery power any time it's turned on. Modern cameras with modern batteries are significantly better at this so don't take this as suggesting your camera will have a dead battery by the time you get to the good viewing spot.

The "correct" camera for any person depends on a huge number of factors, most of which are very personal and subjective. Given your main use, going up a mountain, I would also suggest you look at small, light mirrorless cameras.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

I don't know about the autofocus, but yes, Pentax puts image stabilization in the body. That means every lens on a Pentax DSLR is stabilized. When you put a lens on a Pentax DSLR it recognizes the lens and sets the image stabilization accordingly, so it's not like you'll be shooting at 55mm with image stabilization appropriate for 18mm. I know this because if I put on a lens it doesn't recognize, like some old manual-focus lens (Pentax has EXCELLENT backwards compatibility - which means lots of good, cheap lenses on the second-hand market), my camera will ask me about the focal length.

The trade-off between a mirrorless and a DSLR is the DSLR has an optical viewfinder (mirrors, prisms, basically: lots of heavy glass on top) while the smaller, lighter mirrorless always sends the view to the screen. This makes for a difference in battery life, with a DSLR you can turn off instant review (the image appears on the screen after a shot) and shoot all drat day with little battery drain - keeping a LED screen lit up is the main power drain on any electronic device, spinning autofocus motors and keeping the light-meter going are trivial in comparison. Any mirrorless is going to be burning battery power any time it's turned on. Modern cameras with modern batteries are significantly better at this so don't take this as suggesting your camera will have a dead battery by the time you get to the good viewing spot.

The "correct" camera for any person depends on a huge number of factors, most of which are very personal and subjective. Given your main use, going up a mountain, I would also suggest you look at small, light mirrorless cameras.

For the most part kilimanjaro and the group i am going with does have porters so the differance between a 3 pound dslr and 1 pound mirrorless isn't that important.

but this is my current list of proposed cameras

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-24-2MP...ords=nikon&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I1CPA0O/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?tag=sdpgenius-20&ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074PZ52CG/ref=psdc_3017941_rv_t1_B07C8CX69J

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0719JBW9J/ref=psdc_3017941_rv_t2_B07C8CX69J

Pentax seem super cool but i am unsure about buying into them since they do not seem like there is a ton of support out there for them compared to cannon and nikon.

wargames fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 7, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Last September my wife and I bought our first DSLR--a Rebel T6i--as part of one of those Amazon kits. In hindsight, I realized I should've just gone to Canon's refurb store and bought the body and lens. Most of the stuff that comes in those bundles is garbage. Seriously, check out the factory refurbished offerings. I know Canon offers something like a one year warranty. I bet other mfgs. do similar.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Best bundle I got was a 64gb sandisk class 10 SD card and tamron's tap-in thingy when I got my 70-200. It was the same price as unbundled lenses so sure, why not.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

Best bundle I got was a 64gb sandisk class 10 SD card and tamron's tap-in thingy when I got my 70-200. It was the same price as unbundled lenses so sure, why not.

Oh, for sure. That's a no-brainer. loving Vivitar screw on lenses on the other hand? Not so much, I quickly learned.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Pentax puts weather sealing on all of their cameras and along with the IBIS it makes them bigger and heavier. The k-3, kp and k-70 don't have a touch screen. Sony, Panasonic and Olympus also have IBIS, and touch screens on most models. AF performance depends on the whole system of lens aperture, lens/body AF motor, sensor af points, and sensor af cross type points, but it is comparable to similarly priced DSLRs. You will get better af performance on a K-70 with a 70-200 f2.8 than a D500 with an 70-300 f5.6.

The d5500 is the first from that series with a touch screen. You can get a refurbished d5500 with the kit lens for $560, and then buy the 55-200 VR ii refurbished for $130. The 70-300 that comes in the two lens kit is kind of soft, and does not have VR. VR is more helpful on telephoto lenses. If you want to shoot a telephoto landscape around sunset at f11 VR is the difference between 1600 iso and 6400+. If you don't need a flippy touchscreen the d3500 comes out in a few weeks, and d3400 is basically the same camera. I would get the $400 refurbished d3400 with the kit lens, and the 55-200 over the two lens kit because of the VR again. I'm not as familiar with the Canon options but the T6i is similar to the d5500.

On the mirrorless side the Panasonic gx85 two lens kit is $600 new. You get good 4k video too. Very light, almost pocketable. It has in camera charging with usb, The screen tilts, but doesn't flip, and its a touch screen. Olympus Em 10 mk ii is similar in features wise and in price, the UI is different. There is some trade off in image quality with the smaller sensors, mostly in lower light.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Of the ones you listed, this would be the kit that I would recommend. The camera will be good, and the two kit lenses are pretty highly regarded (for kit lenses, I'd still suggest getting the 35mm f/1.8 as well just because it's so cheap and good).

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

nmfree posted:

Of the ones you listed, this would be the kit that I would recommend. The camera will be good, and the two kit lenses are pretty highly regarded (for kit lenses, I'd still suggest getting the 35mm f/1.8 as well just because it's so cheap and good).

did spot this and since people did point out that the 70-300 doesn't have VR its kind of pointless.

https://www.cameta.com/Nikon-D5600-Digital-SLR-Camera-18-55mm-VR-DX-AF-P-Lens-Refurbished-99284.cfm

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1365770-REG/nikon_1576b_d5600_dslr_camera_with.html

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/refurbished-dslr-cameras/1546b/d5500-refurbished.html

However its also pointed out that the d3500 is coming out soon and i might be able to pick up a refurb d3400 on the super cheap because of that on like a cyber monday deal.

edit

are the nikon VR II lens better then the regular VR lens?

wargames fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 8, 2018

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I gather this is the gear recommendation thread for newbie scrubs.

I want to get a new DSLR (or could be mirrorless I suppose) - I technically have one but it's a cheapo Konica Minolta one from like 2005 that gives decent results but has a 4MP resolution and as far as I can tell, you can't change the lens on it.

Mostly I just want it for nice holiday snaps and stuff but might be interested into getting into other (as yet unspecified) types of photography so I guess what I'm after is something relatively newbie friendly and versatile.

I'm looking to spend something like £4-500 (possibly including lens?) which is I guess about $600-700. I'd like to be able to shoot 4K video and have a bit of optical zoom.

I've been looking at the Nikon D3400, Canon EOS M50 and Sony ILCE6000LB but really I don't know what there is to choose between them. I think though that the D3400 for example doesn't shoot 4k video.

It'd be nice to have the whole wifi/bluetooth/whatever connectivity where you can get images directly onto your phone and devices but not essential.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 11, 2018

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Unless video is high on your priority list, there aren't too many bad choices. I wouldn't worry about buying into a system or comparing specs too much.

The entry level nikons have comparatively poor live view performance. I think the entry level Canon is the sl2, which does better in that regard. Nikon has a good cheap 35mm, and Canon has some nice cheap pancake lenses.

Mirrorless will only have one auto focus system to learn, and the evf can preview the effects of exposure changes. The cheapest models lack an evf but are definitely worth considering, the image quality is often the same.

You didn't mention mft, but the gx85 gets recommended pretty often I think, as a small rangefinder style package.

If your goal is good travel photos, consider a compact too, they make lots of enthusiast focused ones with all the features and controls and a well paired lens.

Get a feel for the options in person, if possible.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Have found a few that seem to have the specs I'd like.

Anything I should be aware of/watch out for with these or any recommendations for/against any of them?

https://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic...-black/p3481665

https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-a630...-black/p2597397

https://www.johnlewis.com/fujifilm-...screen/p3444704

They're all mirrorless ones.

Fake Edit: OK well the X-A5 one does 4k video... at 15fps. So gently caress that.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

WhatEvil posted:

4k video... at 15fps.

:stare: Are they just hoping people won't notice that spec.?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Those cameras seem to be significantly above your previously-stated budget. How do you feel about used? You could find whatever previous versions of those cameras (what was the Sony camera in 2016 that the current A6300 replaced?) on the second-hand market and get 95% of the features for 50% of the cost.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

President Beep posted:

:stare: Are they just hoping people won't notice that spec.?

that has to be a typo

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

polyester concept posted:

that has to be a typo

Nah I checked on different sites/reviews and it was listed there. Seems the same for a few of the Fujifilm models.

And yeah I know those cameras are above what I said before but that's OK - I'm willing to pay a bit extra and/or go second-hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Unless your sure you'll use it I wouldn't prioritize 4k video. The are lots of considerations beyond resolution/frame rate, like crop factor, record times, codecs, additional features to help with video exposure and focusing, mic/headphone jacks, in body stabilization, bit rate, high speed modes, screen titling for vlogging, eye autofocus, etc.

If that is high on the list of what you want a complete feature set doesn't come cheap, but there is lots of good advice on the subject of the best camera for vlogging.

If your primarily planning on taking photos then I wouldn't make your decision around that.

Fuji give you a lot of nice film modes to produce good out of camera jpgs which many people find themselves relying on. Especially nice if you want to use Bluetooth and skip editing on another device.

• Locked thread