Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

So I'm borrowing an SB-700, how the hell do I use this thing?

You put it on the camera, turn it on, and take pictures :v:

Seriously, though, if you're relying on i-TTL exposure, that's all you need to do, especially if you're using Program mode. Even with bounce flash, the camera can figure out the exposure pretty well on its own. Just watch the ready light and make sure that it doesn't blink after a shot, since that means you ran out of flash power. If that happens, the flash will tell you how many stops it thinks it underexposed. If you feel like you need more or less light in the scene, both the camera and the flash have flash exposure compensation settings you can adjust.

If you want to get really fancy and play around with manual exposures, here's a guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

Nikon lenses being righty-loosy, lefty-tighty will always feel goofy as all hell to me.

Nikon lenses don't mount/dismount that way at all. :confused:

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Alcohol wipes for wound sterilization/eyeglass cleaning should take that right off if a dry method doesn't work.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

The D7000/D7100 will not work with non-AI lenses, which that one appears to be. The aperture feeler doesn't flip up like it does on older Nikon film cameras, so you can't mount those lenses at all.

Edit: If you have a big bag of pre-AI glass, a D3xxx/D5xxx actually makes some sense, since you can mount those older lenses without any obstruction. You lose any metering, automatic modes, or aperture indication in the finder, but you can put a Gossen Digisix in your hotshoe to compensate, or just look at the histogram. Honestly, if your subjects are moving or you expect to be in changing lighting conditions, this route is a pain in the butt.

The D90 was a good camera, but it's really ancient at this point. As already noted, the D7000/D7100 are better choices, but you'd have to invest in newer AI or AF lenses, too.

TheJeffers fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 9, 2014

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Nikon used to offer a conversion service when AI was a new thing, but they don't anymore. You can still find the conversion kits on eBay from time to time; any competent repairperson should be able to install one.

There are people out there who will cut an AI ridge into a non-AI lens, but that's the backyard mechanic way of doing it.

sporklift posted:

Yeah. Too bad. I have some nice lenses but all non AI. I have not seen a 7100 for under $700 though... Is the 7000 pretty much the same? Can it mount this type of lens?

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-105mm-Ai-S-Manual-Focus/dp/B00009XV7G/ref=pd_ybh_5

The D7000 is the same basic camera, with a lower-res sensor and fewer AF points.

That lens will work, as it's an AI-s lens. Be aware that the field of view will be more like a 150mm lens on a D7000/D7100, though. You'll also have to set the focal length and maximum aperture manually in order to get Matrix metering.

TheJeffers fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 9, 2014

• Locked thread