Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
I think it depends on what you want to take pictures of/any features you know you're going to need. For example, if you know you need video, that puts a bottom on what you can buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

I also just picked up a Neewer TT560 which is even cheaper - haven't had a chance to use it a ton but it seems pretty solid for 40 bucks, and has a built-in optical slave and sync port.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Talk to the person in charge of that 5D - you might be surprised by how willing they are to let you take it home to practice. And by "practice" I mean whatever you'd be doing with your 7D. Just keep your own cards etc. After all, the better you are with it the better it is for them; talk to the right person and maybe they'll even send you to a few weekend classes. If you're already taking photos, it's a very low-cost, win-win proposition for them - they get improved content for next to nothing in corporate dollars. You just need to sell it in the right way to the right manager.

Also, remember that you can write all of this off your taxes.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

I asked about classes before, it's a no go. I had to fight tooth and nail just to expense report my new camera bag. It's a low-budget game we have here.

Yikes. And I thought my company was stingy.

Well, at least ask if you can take the camera home to practice on. That's free for them.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Polaroid, likewise.

• Locked thread