Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I was doing some basic editing in post today and I noticed that my jpegs from when I shoot in jpeg+raw are noticeably cropped vs my raws. I wouldn't care so much but I usually just throw the jpegs to facebook since it'll mangle them anyway.

Is there any way to prevent this forced cropping or should I just suck it up and do the conversions in Lightroom myself from now on? I'm assuming that the cropping is occurring in camera or while the photos are imported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I'm using a canon t3i with Lightroom 4.4. The actual jpegs straight from the camera are cropped and missing detail on all four sides while the raws aren't missing this stuff. For instance, I took a portrait shot of a friend where the jpeg cuts off part of his chin while the raw has his shirt and shoulders visible.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

It's weird. It doesn't seem like it's on all of the pictures and I can't quite figure out what it is.

Anyway, here's the same picture for an example. The first is a raw as viewed through lightroom and then exported into a jpeg. Face is covered just because I don't like upping photos of friends to photo sites.

The second is a jpeg straight from canon's import program.

On the other hand though,

is the same for both. I know I used the canon 40mm for the portrait shot and I think I might have used the tammy 17-50 for the latter. However, other photos from the same day with the tammy also have this cropping going on.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

You had the 16:9 aspect ratio selected. The aspect ratio you select in the menu applies to JPEGs, not just video. RTFM :science:

Except I didn't change any settings between those two shots or at all that day? The cropping just happens randomly regardless of which lens was being used as well. I get what you're saying but I'm not following why there are times that there's no cropping in the jpeg vs the raw.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I should have been more clear, I just keep my camera in 16:9 and I wasn't sure why some photos had cropped while others hadn't despite being in this mode.

Anyway, as far as I know I hadn't changed modes at all since I stay in manual but I guess it's possible. Now that I know it's there I'll just export/compare the raw if I care about the image but I'm still curious as to why the camera itself sometimes doesn't crop the jpeg.

• Locked thread