Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So I really was planning on saving up for the 70-200 F4L IS, but that Tamron 70-300 in the OP is kinda tempting..anyone have first-hand experience with it able to share a shot or two from it? How is the VC compared to Canon's IS? The USD vs. USM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Despair posted:

Do you need 300mm of zoom? If so the tamron's the best bang/buck right now. If you don't need the extra length, the 70-200 F4L is probably going to be sharper all around (although I'm not sure how the IS stacks up, Tamron's is really, really good).

I don't know how much I 'need' the extra length at the moment, but right now my longest lens maxes at 55mm and I'm finding it really limiting. Most of the time when I buy stuff I try to go top of the line, but the 4L IS is over 1k and the Tamron after the coupon (and an amazon gift card) will cost me ~200 and is arriving tomorrow as opposed to waiting a few months. I went ahead and ordered the Tamron; the sample images from the research I did look fantastic to me, and I've still got a savings account set up that I'm dropping money into for new lenses so if I decide I need that f/4 aperture throughout the whole zoom, I'll be ready for it eventually. That or I can upgrade my kit lens..or pick up a serious flash..or get a sturdier tripod..so many options :3:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SoundMonkey posted:

Or get the extremely well regarded 70-200/4 and grab a $50 Tamron 1.4x TC later if you decide you super duper need 300 (280)mm. End up with the same aperture, probably comparable image quality.

I was considering the non-IS 4L but decided that I'd rather have the VC for situations when I'm without my tripod (I love visiting zoos & gardens & such). If it turns out I'm doing a lot of shooting with the Tamron I'll upgrade down the line, but if not, this'll end up being ~$300 cheaper than the non-IS F4L and by all accounts the image quality is pretty phenomenal for the cost.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The Tamron 70-300 showed up today (what's up $3.99 next-day shipping from Amazon) and even though I haven't had much of a chance to use it I'm already thrilled with it; the reach is incredible, the build quality is way better than my kit lens/50mm 1.8, and the test photos I took were super sharp. Autofocus is quick and quiet and from what I can tell IS works really well. I've got a 3 day weekend, so..hello garden trips!

Now that I've got a full range of focal lengths covered, I've got the itch for a flash; the 600ex-rt is absolutely overkill for me at the moment; can anyone talk about the 430ex-ii? While I love me some nature photography, I was going through a lot of indoor shots from the holidays and I noticed a good portion were either underexposed or looked like crap with the stock flash on.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 15, 2013

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
For ~$400, what would be the best 'bang for the buck' Canon setup? I got an XSi w/ kit lens for $300 several years ago and it's been fantastic, and one of my coworkers is looking to upgrade from her iPhone to something more serious. I'm thinking a T3i w/ kit lens would be the sweet spot, but I don't know if there's something I'm looking past. This'd probably have to be new rather than used, since I don't want to open the possibility for used equipment to fail on my recommendation.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Frijolero posted:

I was asking if my gear was kosher and if I made a mistake in not getting a VR lens, but fine you durned goon. Here's my very first pic:

Flowers for my Stalker

I like it but the photo looks a bit soft, probably a situation where the VR would have come in handy; I don't know what the ISO capabilities of the 3100 are but you'd probably want to bump it up a bit for a faster shutter speed. General rule of thumb is 1/focal length. That setup should be fine for the most part though, it covers a huge range of focal lengths and for just starting out it's about what I used (18-55 and a 70-300 w/ VC).

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
A friend of mine is looking to pick up a camera and has a budget of ~400 or so. I let her borrow my copy of Understanding Exposure and my old S90 since all she had was her camera phone; she liked the size of the S90 but would prefer something that'd be able to interchange lenses. I own a Canon so I would imagine that a T3i or a Nikon equivalent with the standard zoom would be available used for roughly that price, but would some sort of a mirrorless setup be viable here? It'd probably be closer to the form-factor of the S90 but also have the ability to change lenses, I just don't know enough about mirrorless systems to to speak to them well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Elliotw2 posted:

Strongly consider a M4/3 camera. The lower end Panasonic and Olympus basically looks and feels like a S90 except you can take the lens off. The NEX-3N/A5000 would also be about the right shape/layout/price for what you're looking at.

Nice, thanks! The A5000 looks like something that'd meet what she's looking for; we've got a camera store less than half a mile away from work so I'm going to encourage her to head there to demo different bodies and see what fits best. I've also let her try out my XSi and she liked that too, so it'll probably boil down to the SL1 or something similar to the A5000.

• Locked thread