Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

evil_bunnY posted:

You won't be able to remotely operate a zoom lens without an overly complicated contraption.
Can't you just stick a motorized follow focus on the zoom ring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
If you live in the Bay Area and like photography books then you should check out the Friends of the Library Book Sale which runs from Wednesday until Sunday. They generally have 6 to 8 tables stacked pretty high with photography books; Hardcovers are $3, softcovers are $2. Typically everything is $1 on the last day. They also have a million other books on pretty much every topic, so if you like books or have some other project/hobby it's definitely worth checking out.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Coolwhoami posted:

Holy hell, I really hope my order doesn't get cancelled, even if the t5 isn't the most amazing unit: http://www.canadacomputers.com/bundle_info.php?bundle_id=078893
$499 for a T5 is a ripoff, even with those lenses. You could buy a T3i with the 18-55 for $50 less.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Still not worth it. With $250 you could buy a used T2i, which is what the T5 is based on, except the T2i still has more features.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Coolwhoami posted:

I had read about the t5/t5i before, but was having trouble determining what was overly bad about the t5 other than just a general lack of features and being slow. Any other specific complaints?
That is the complaint. They took a 4 year old camera, took out some important features (no spot metering, lower resolution screen, smaller viewfinder, weaker flash, slower burst, no infrared remote capabilities), then sold it at full price.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Bazanga posted:

The lenses themselves seem pretty meh, as the lens I was borrowing from my Uncle had two focusing rings, one for macro and one for more fine-tuning. Not sure what the technical terms are, exactly. But neither of these lenses that came with the Canon have two focusing rings and I am having to rely on autofocus for closer shots, which I really dislike. I like having more control.
I've never seen any lens with two focusing rings, let alone one for an EF mount. You're probably mistaking one of the rings which controls the focal length.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Unforgiven posted:

She is strongly against buying a refurbished camera.

I haven't bought a refurbished camera, but I've bought quite a few refurbished lenses from Canon and every single one was completely indistinguishable from a new lens except for the word 'refurbished' on the box, a sticker on the lens cap, and the lower price. Not a single scratch or piece of dust on them.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Shady shops are going to try and scare you into buying from them, but factory refurbished cameras carry the same warranty that new ones do, and when you consider that a refurbed T6i is only $600 vs $750 new, you're basically buying a new camera straight from the manufacturer at a really good discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Pretty much any DSLR is fine in light rain. Just try to protect them as much as you can while you aren't shooting. If you're worried you can stick them in a small plastic bag with the lens sticking out. If you go for the higher end cameras with weather sealing they can easily handle heavy rain, though they do caution that they are technically only weather sealed when used with weather sealed lenses.

• Locked thread