Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I have a little bit of money to burn, but I only want to burn it once until I progress from beginner to an intermediate or advanced level of familiarity with shooting DSLRs. I *was* planning on getting a Canon 7D Mk II, but am reconsidering after some of the discussion in the Canon thread. I have a way old Rebel EOS SLR (film, not digital; not sure of the specific model, it's probably around 10 years old) with the kit lens and a telephoto lens.

To give an idea of the kinds of things I want to shoot:
I don't particularly need sports/nature photography, but I do want to take photos of Tokyo and Osaka next time I visit, ranging from cityscapes on the ground or from SkyTree or Tokyo Tower to temples and some greenery (mostly just landscapes or monuments), time-lapse photos, and possibly decent video. Computer control is a plus, since I might want to create some kind of remote-controlled rig for whatever camera I get (probably using libgphoto2?).

Are there cameras that are particularly strong for some of these? Upcoming models that might be suitable?

Go play with a Fujifilm XE2 or XT1 with 18-55 2.8-4 kit lens. It can be controlled with a smart phone app and is a dream for adapting old lenses. You can adapt you old canon glass to it. It's small enough for travel and isn't a bad set up for tricky light situations.

Check out the mirror less thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

succ posted:

I'm curious as to what are some goons reasons for making the jump to full frame? I enjoy shooting landscape and notice limitations of using a low-end DSLR with cheaper glass. Would I be a good case for upgrading to a full frame?

Upgrade path: skill > glass > 4x5.

Why haven't you looked at better glass. Your babbyfirstcam might be missing pro options but it can still make wonderful photos with good glass.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Javid posted:

How good a deal is this for a first SLR?

https://www.adorama.com/inkd3100krr.html

Says not available. If you are dead set on a D3100, dont get the red one.

https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-d3100-digital-camera-body-14-2-m-p.html Grab the 18-55 DX lens on the cheap and if your budget allows, the 35mm 1.8 lens. As far as I know, KEH is still a great place for used gear.

• Locked thread