Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

CrushedWill posted:

While I posted this question in the Canon thread, I feel like this thread may be a better (but not perfect) target for the query, so here it goes.

Are there any recommendations for what to consider when buying a used camera body? It will be my first foray into Canon equipment (so it's kind of thread related) and my first try at used gear and I really don't want to end up with an $800 brick. I could go into more detail about specific concerns but I dont want to poo poo up this request with concerns that may not be valid.

Get a refurb from Canon. You get either a barely used body or it's pretty much new but the box was damaged and was sent back. Basically new and a 90 day warranty. There's a refurb sale going on now with 20% off: http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_22751

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
I know canon has some 20% off refurb sales which are excellent. Most things are there because the box was damaged and no one wanted to buy it so essentially it's a new camera. The sales come every few months. Keep an eye on slickdeals.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Those are decent starter bodies. The kit lens will work fine on sunny days since you don't need a super wide aperture in those conditions. When indoors or evening/night you'll need something with a wider aperture. So either start off with a better lens (a common recommendation is the Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 without VC which is anywhere from 300 to 500 USD) or get the kit lens to learn and then sell it for something better. Also get a 50mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/1.8 for Nikon since the Nikon 50mm doesn't autofocus with the newer cheaper bodies. That'll cost you about 100 USD and it has great image quality with a really wide aperture (which will give you a lot of blurry backgrounds which look nice).

• Locked thread