Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
So the wife and I have decided it's time to invest in a good camera. This is my first foray into the camera world other than crappy point and shoots and cell phone cameras. Of course, like everyone else, I'd like the best compromise between price and features. I'm not looking to become a professional photographer, but I do have an appreciation for good high quality pictures. We have a kid on the way, so that is the driving factor behind this purchase, but I'd also like to have my wife take pictures while I'm driving my car around the track.

So far I've been looking at the Canon EOS T3i, Nikon D5200, and the Sony A57. These seem like good entry level cameras, and I probably couldn't go wrong with any of these. Something that will last me 5-10 years would be nice as well. I'm still not sure if I should get a kit like this for the T3i that comes with the extra lens, or just buy another lens later.

My budget is probably somewhere around $600-$1000 from what I've seen on the prices for the aforementioned cameras/lenses.

The main usage of the camera would be:
- Pictures of the kid crawling around or something
- Sweet action shots of me driving a car
- A picture of a cat
- Occasional nature picture
- Vacation pictures

Anyone have any recommendations? Keep using my iPhone camera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the recommendation on the T4i. I went to BB tonight and checked out the Nikon d5100, Canon T4i, and the Sony a57. I think I've narrowed it down to the T4i and a57. The a57 seemed to have a bit better feel to it. At this point I'm guessing it just comes down to preference?

I'm also still trying to figure out what lenses to get. I was going to get the 50mm f/1.8 that was recommended earlier, but I'm not sure if the 18-55 or 18-135 kit would be better? About $150 difference. Should I save that $150 and put it towards a Tamron 70-300 VC or something as recommended by Mr. Despair and skip the 55-250?

• Locked thread