Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I probably wouldn't bring my DSLR on an average dinner out, but I have it with me on vacation.

Of all the things that go on in restaurants, I never thought of taking pics of your food as something anyone cared about. Are people setting up light stands or something? Most wait staff are happy to take a photo of your party during dinner, so it seems a weird thing to get your panties in a bunch about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've rarely received much attitude at restaurants. If you're polite and don't come off as a cheap rear end, they're usually pretty indulgent.

It just seems weird to me that a place would spend the effort to plate things really nicely and then give you attitude for wanting to take a photo of it.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lytro- it's the FUTURE.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

Get the zoom kit, save for a sigma 30/1.4

Or the 40/2.8

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'll just put this out there- if birds are your primary subject, you might check out something like the Canon SX50. There are downsides to a bridge camera compared to a DSLR (sensor size, af speed, instant response for the shutter button, ability to upgrade lenses, etc), but it's hard to beat that reach at that price, plus it's small enough you'll actually take it everywhere. A couple of people in the A/T bird thread were recommending the SX50.

I went from a bridge to a DSLR about 3 years ago, and I'm half-way considering getting something like an SX50 as an additional camera since super-telephoto lenses for DSLRs are so feakin' heavy and expensive.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have a 300mm and it works ok but you have to crop everything. The proportional gain of going from 300 to 400 is not that much bigger than going from 250 to 300.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EPICAC posted:

I have a newbie lens question. I bought my first DSLR, a body only Canon 60D in July, and picked up a used EF 70-300mm f4/5.6 off of the forums. This setup works for me most of the time, since I mostly have been shooting birds and wildlife with the occasional landscape shot thrown in. I'd like to get a wider and faster lens that will work indoors, and something lighter/wider for hiking through some of the narrow trail corridors in New Hampshire. I've seen the Canon 50 mm f/1.8 mentioned as a good budget lens, but I feel like this might not be wide enough on a crop body. Any recommendations?

I'd look at the shorty-40 (40/2.8), or if you need more speed, the Sigma 30/1.4.

edit- also the Tamron 17-50/2.8 non-VC if you need really wide. There are a host of ultra-wide zooms as well that are all pretty good (those going down to between 8-12mm), but except for the Tokina they aren't very fast.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 19, 2013

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Musket posted:

Get the nikon because the 35mm Prime will cost you 200bux roughtly vs Canon that will charge you 3 asses and a dick for their 1.4 35mm prime. They do not have any budget FIRST PARTY 35mm primes currently.

The Canon 40/2.8 is pretty fun and cheap?! Especially on the SL1 that would be practically like a little mirrorless.

I'm not saying to go for Canon, but it's not quite fair to say there's no options.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget the Sigma 8-16- great as long as you don't need screw-in filters.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I use cheap-ish camcorders for wildlife research. We might want to record 1080i or 1080p for one or more hours of behavioral interactions. Our cameras record continuously but still have the file size limit, although the limit is less evident because the camera automatically makes a file structure and metafiles to allow continuous playback.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I liked the David Busch series as an extended manual. I don't think there's a version for the 5Ds, but maybe the one for the 5d3 would work well enough. It explains all the settings and options a lot better than the regular manual, including what the impact will be on the eventual photo.

Probably any of the third party extended manuals would be useful.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe there's not a way to mark the mice with paint/hair dye/trimming so you can recognize them without having to jump through such crazy hoops.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nomenclature posted:

She needs to capture the expressions on the mice's faces, not just identify individual mice. The reason that she is doing this project is that in the interest of minimizing research-animal suffering, the UK NHS gave quite a bit of money to one researcher to run a "If your mouse is making 'this face,' it's in pain" informational campaign. However, the face in question is made as part of mice's non-lethal fight instinct (i.e. how they fight for social dominance, not when they think their lives are in danger) and has nothing to do with the mouse being in pain. This project needs to document that fact with pictures and video. So, she needs a lot of publication-worthy detail.

Ah, that makes a little more sense. I wonder if she could get one-way glass and put a go-pro behind it. Maybe they'd respond to their reflection in an aggressive/dominance way (add the relevant scent/urine to help sell it). If it is something that requires a 50mp camera and special set up to capture, it's probably not a very good assay regardless of what the facial expression actually relates to.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does your daughter have a smart-phone? If so, might be worth thinking about one of the Canons with built-in wifi. 70D/80D (probably more camera than she needs otherwise) or T6i. Not that it's necessary, but I could imagine it being fun to immediately be able to share stuff on instagram or snapchat or whatever the kids are using these days. I think the Canon apps used to get a bad wrap but I just upgraded to the new app Canon Connect and it actually works really well for grabbing photos from my G7X onto my iPhone. I'm assuming it's also improved things for the DSLRs.

Also, don't forget some sort of hard drive for all those photos! Teach her about backing things up.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe refurb would be a good compromise. A little cheaper, but still cleaned, inspected and with a bit of warranty.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

my summer at fat camp posted:

Can you guys help me decide between

Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM
Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 VC USD
Canon 55-250 f4-5.6 IS STM

I've been googling forever and the more I look, the more conflicting reviews I find. Let's pretend price doesn't matter in the comparison.

What do you tend to shoot, and what body is this for? I think the STM might be better for video with a newer crop body like the 70D etc. Also, I don't know about sharpness at that particular focal length, but if you tend to shoot at the wide end, the 55-250 would be decently wider.

For wildlife, probably you'd want one of the 70-300 for the extra reach. I had the Canon 70-300 and liked it, although I ended up jumping to the L version when I upgraded my camera body (the L version is super-fun). The IS is "ok"

iirc people (at least those not snobby against 3rd party lenses) tend to see the Tamron as a better value, but I'm not sure about performance, especially if you bring in the mark 2 of the canon.

If you aren't into wildlife, have you thought about the 70-200 L?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's should be a small jump up price-wise to the next level (t6i or 700D or whatever it's called). The t6 line has worse ergonomics and worse innards I believe. If you are making the jump from a cell phone in order to explore photography with a DSLR, it's worth it to move above the bad gimped cheapest model.

The Canon Crop-sensor DSLR lines
t5/t6 etc = purposefully bad- old tech in a crummy package
t5i/t6i = pretty good starter camera (I started on the t2i many years back)
SL1/SL2 = also decent, very compact (good if you have tiny hands or want to travel really light)
70D/77D/80D = step up from the previous, better controls/ergonomics, great video AF, and I think new sensors and/or processors.
7D2 = Semi-pro wildlife/sport

Also, the 75-300mm lens in that kit is not the best- it doesn't have image stabilization. the Canon 55-250mm is probably the better super-cheap option.

e: same price- here's the t5i.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 28, 2017

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
With the t5i package I linked, the 75-300 is literally a free add-on. So I guess if it's free, go for it, but start looking for a replacement if you find yourself using it but being disappointed by the sharpness and color of the photos you get from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

Also I would argue that sometimes it is your gear. We do get hung up with not being seen as being one of those people trying to buy our way out of a lack of talent but is your camera is bad at tracking and your lens still wanting to take photos at 1/25 at iso 6500 then yeh, it’s your gear.

You're not wrong, but at the same time wildlife photography didn't magically start in 2003. I survived for many years shooting Provia with a crappy MF Tamron lens on a Nikon 8008. Better tools will open up a lot more opportunities, but don't be discouraged if you can't afford the >$1k "entry level" that people are discussing here. Get the Tamron 70-300VC or the best used lens you can afford and go have fun. The 70-300 will always be useful even if you eventually get a 150-600 or whatever.

• Locked thread