Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I have a Panasonic G7, which is very nice, has a pretty good kit lens, and appears to be on sale in a lot of places now. You might be able to pick one up and throw in a couple big SD cards, some extra batteries, and a case, and still stay way under your budget.

No in-body AF, though, and the Panny AF lenses are a bit pricey still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

SMERSH Mouth posted:

You mean IS? It is the deficiency in Panasonic bodies, IMO. I think they would have an edge on Oly if they could pull out an effective IBIS that would make using Zuiko lenses more worthwhile. Oly seems to have the edge in optics when you're not talking Panaleica.

Ga-doy. yes, IS. And Panasonic has IS in many of their M43 lenses, but for budget-blowing prices, sadly.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Both the GX8 and G7 are wayyyyyy over my budget :(

Stupid CAD means about $1000 cad = $700 usd
Hmm, I did a quick search and saw the G7 on sale at a few places for US$599. Could have been a weekend price drop or something, though. Sorry.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Honest reply: a used/refurb T3i (or T4i/T5i if you can find one reasonably cheap) with used/refurb 18-55 and 55-250 lenses will absolutely be good for what she's after while remaining well within her budget.

Also, as a gift, you could grab her a small case, 32GB SD card, couple extra Chinese batteries, and a bottom-end tripod off Amazon for like $80 total. She'd feel like a Real Pro with all that gear and be in hog heaven.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

That's an okay starter camera and you got a good price on that bundle.

The main trouble some have with T* cameras is that you'll hit the ceiling earlier with it. If you use it enough to get competent, you'll probably start wishing for the extra features in the T*i series. But if you just want to learn the ins and outs of DSLRs and get some pretty pictures in the meantime, it's plenty.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

InFlames235 posted:

Hey all, getting close to pulling the trigger on my first DSLR. Most likely the Canon T6i. Any "must have" accessories I should get as well?

A big memory card. :v: 64 gigs are pretty cheap and will keep you going for ages without having to delete anything.

Otherwise, you'd do well to get a case big enough for the body and a couple lenses.

That's about it for "must have" anything. "Want to have" ... well, how much cash you got?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

These reasons are why when people love to jump to recommending FF glass to people with crop body sensors annoys the crap out of me. 'Get something that'll still work when/if you go FF!' sounds good, but then you probably get a ton of people thinking they need to go FF because the lenses they have purchased aren't so ideal for their camera.

I'll admit I don't enjoy feeling like I CAN'T go FF because most of my lenses are for crop bodies. At the same time, I realize that if I had the cash for a FF body I'd also have cash for some new lenses, so it all evens out.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

President Beep posted:

Thanks for the assurance. Once I lay hands on that lens, and eventually a nifty fifty, I think I’ll consider myself all set for a while. I figure having those three lenses (including the kit 18-55) will offer a good selection for a beginner such as myself.

Those three lenses (on a T3i) held me through my first four years of messing around, making mistakes, and learning. You'll probably be fine.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Canon keeps doing this T# vs. T#i thing and it traps a lot of folks.

Essentially the one without the "i" is old technology and deliberately limited. It's nowhere near on par with the same generation's "i" version like you might expect. I remember someone here a while back saying the T5 (which came out two years ago) is approximately equal in image quality to the T2i (which came out five years ago), but with fewer options. The only way I'd ever recommend the T# version is if you're giving one to some brat that you expect will use it about ten times and then throw it in their closet, and only then if you can get it used for a hundo.

If you're even casually interested in photography, get the "i" every time.

Broadening out the question a bit: a lower-end Canon is still a good choice for first camera. It's solid, dependable, has a buck ton of lens options, and won't kill your wallet unless you get into something very specific like birding or professional sports photography. I started with a T3i, a kit lens and a 55-250, and that held me for years. Nikon is similar but not quite as many lens options. Panasonic has some impressive low-end cameras but lenses get expensive quick.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Really, if it's your first fixed-length lens, the nifty fifty is more of a revelation for aperture than focal length. Wow, you're suddenly able to take pics indoors at night! Wow, now you get what that whole "bokeh" thing is about! etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

The main trouble is people who look on a website or read a book and see lines like "35mm is an ideal length for landscape photography." So they put an expensive 35mm prime on their crop-sensor camera and realize, hey, these pictures look way more zoomed in than in the examples. And then the crushing blow comes.

So folks will say stuff like "35mm (53mm equivalent)" to make it explicit that you have to do some extra math to match a particular Ansel Adams shot or whatever. For a beginner, the optical difference between a 35mm on a crop and a 50mm on a full-frame is extremely secondary to "dammit I can't get all this building in frame, this sucks."

• Locked thread