Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

beergod posted:

Does anyone recommend online photography courses and if so, which ones? I've read "Understanding Exposure" and sort of looking for support to get better as I take more photographs.

I've enjoyed the ones at KelbyTraining.com, though they're not free. I find the content is engaging and entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
I own the Canon EOS T4i (650D) and I love it. It is a great entry level DSLR. I picked it up with the 18-55mm kit lens and purchased the 55-250mm telephoto you linked and they both served me very well. You'd probably want to get a 50mm f/1.8 for the shitload of portraits I'm sure you're going to be doing.

I don't have any experience with the Nikon or Sony. My recommendation is the T4i (over the T3i. It's worth the small diff in price). You could probably get the body and all three of those lenses I mentioned above for not much off $1000 and be pretty well set. ;)

Except for the part where this is the most addicting, biggest money-pit of a hobby and you probably won't be able to stop at just a body and three lenses unless you have more control than I. (entirely possible :P)

All of the pictures on my Flickr page are using this camera with various lenses. The earlier pictures use the kit 18-55 and 55-250. http://www.flickr.com/photos/martinclifford/

Edit: And if you're getting either the T3i or T4i, pick up a couple of these batteries for $15 a pop. They last far longer than the Canon, and it's always nice to have a back up battery around. http://www.amazon.com/Photive-Origi...photive+battery

mclifford82 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 5, 2013

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

evil_bunnY posted:

Yo people need to stop repeating this with no actual experience. It's not the greatest feat of optical engineering (except when you take price into account it kinda is) but it's plenty decent, just slow.

I think a fast 30 or 35, the 18-55 kit (regardless of brand) and a tamron 70-300 VC is a great bunch of glass to start with.

I've gotten plenty of great shots with my 18-55 kit and the inexpensive 55-250mm as well. It's not the best, but it's far from the worst, especially considering the price.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Peever posted:

Is there a big difference going from a 250mm shot to 300mm? I have a Canon EF-S 55-250mm lens and was wondering if getting the Tamron SP 70-300mm would be an improvement? I would mainly be shooting wildlife with that lens.

I think the difference between 250-300mm is negligible, however the difference between that 55-250mm EF-S and nearly any other zoom in that range is going to be noticeable. It's a decent lens I suppose, but compared with the Canon 70-300mm USM or that Tamron VC is night and day. (I've only used the Canon, by the way, but have heard awesome things about the Tamron).

If you plan to do wildlife, the benefits of a better overall zoom lens will be worth it to you, such as faster focusing and better IS.

edit: Oh yeah, and get ready for them to get much heavier than that 55-250. Something that may be a consideration for you.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

FISHMANPET posted:

I was dumb and didn't think it would cost that much so I didn't even bother to look online. I figured it would be a little more expensive but it'd be OK because I could go to a store and figure out of it was the battery or the charger.

Whelp.

Does it at least say NIKON on the charger? I'd take that poo poo back, unless it's outside their return window and even then I'd try to get it done. That's a huge difference.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Valdara posted:

Thanks again! She's beautiful. And I haven't figured out how/bothered to change the EXIF data, so all the pictures are still credited to you.

Enjoy your new, terrible portfolio!

There should be a tab in the options for copyright, I think it's there. But I'd keep it this way, much more hilarious.

Shogunner posted:

I just pulled the trigger on a T3i + goodies. Kinda feel horrible knowing I just spent 670 bucks butttttt I've always wanted a DSLR.

Still though, moneyyyyy :negative:

Welcome aboard. You'll have a blast, and stay broke.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
sorry, dp

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

xcore posted:

stuff about getting a 7d

I took a look at those links of yours, and I'm just going to leave price out of it as I can't really make sense of those prices ($500 for the 18-55 IS kit lens?). That being said, teds.com actually carries a bundle that I was going to recommend separately. That would be getting the 7D body along with the EFS 15-85 IS USM and a 50mm prime. The 15-85 is a fantastic focal range on a crop sensor (1.6x factor for the 7D) and is the sharpest EFS lens I've used. Got the shot below on a T4i with that lens at 85mm. I've also been able to capture Multnomah Falls from the base to the top at 15mm (it's about 300 ft). I used to have the EFS 10-22mm for landscapes but replaced it with this as I didn't really need the extra 5mm on the wide end.

Then of course the nifty fifty, the plastic fantastic (http://www.teds.com.au/canon-ef-50mm-f1-8-ii). I'll be up front, I personally hate using this lens. I find its autofocus obnoxiously loud and slow, and the build quality is that of a Fisher Price toy. All that said, you can't argue with the results you get from it, especially for portraits. It's pretty awesome for those and the price sure is right.

So: 7D body with EFS 15-85mm IS USM and 50mm 1.8 prime. You'll use the 50 for dog/kid pics, the 15-85 for everything else.

All told I think that'd be like $2150 aus from teds.com. I have no idea if that's in your price range, but I can honestly say this isn't an inexpensive hobby :)

Have fun!

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

TheJeffers posted:

Nikon lenses don't mount/dismount that way at all. :confused:

They mount that way, the caps screw on and off that way, the zoom works that way. It's completely opposite to what anyone opening things in the US (dunno about other country's standards) has grown accustomed to.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Quick question about SD cards, does it particularly matter what kind I use in a camera? I picked up a nikon D7000 recently and my slightly wacko dad said I should go out and get some $60 high speed cards while I went ahead and got some $10 ones from amazon.

Buy the cheapest Class 10 card you can find. I grabbed 4x 16gb for $60 total and have had no issues.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

GoldenNugget posted:

Those are decent starter bodies. The kit lens will work fine on sunny days since you don't need a super wide aperture in those conditions. When indoors or evening/night you'll need something with a wider aperture. So either start off with a better lens (a common recommendation is the Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 without VC which is anywhere from 300 to 500 USD) or get the kit lens to learn and then sell it for something better. Also get a 50mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/1.8 for Nikon since the Nikon 50mm doesn't autofocus with the newer cheaper bodies. That'll cost you about 100 USD and it has great image quality with a really wide aperture (which will give you a lot of blurry backgrounds which look nice).

After using a Nikon D5000 and a Canon T4i, I really think for someone just getting started Canon is easier to work with. Most of the stuff is in the Q screen and not in a menu (maybe the 5100/3200 aren't like this?). I also have an unhealthy disliking for the direction that Nikon zooms twist (and rear lens/body caps). So I'd go with the T3i with kit and I do second GoldenNugget, get the Canon 50mm f/1.8 to go with it. Fantastic image quality even though it sounds like poo poo while focusing. This kit should keep you going for a good while as you learn and grow.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
If he's used to taking pictures on his iPhone/Android, you might actually consider the T4i/T5i. Yes it's more pricey, but the touch screen works nearly identically to the iPhone. Tap to take a picture/focus, tap through the menus to set the settings he doesn't want to set. Pinch to zoom, etc. And it's a kickass DSLR.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Tenacious J posted:

I'm sticking with Costco for the return policy just in case and unfortunately there's no Pentax. Anyway, thanks for the help, I've actually decided to go with the Sony a58 and save up for a proper zoom lens. I'll keep an eye out for a beercan.

Best Buy is also good for their return policy. Enjoy the new camera :)

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

spog posted:

How the hell are they going to enforce that?

Some people enforce themselves.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Chalets the Baka posted:

I'm leaning towards going with the 5D classic; the images produced by the FF just look so good compared even to the 7D. However, is going for an L lens worth the cost? I'm looking at Canon's 50mm f/1.4 for a starter lens, and I'm having a hard time believing I'd get $1,000 extra worth of quality out of the 50mm f/1.2. Would I be squandering the camera's potential if I went with the "cheapo" lens?

I only know two people with the 50 1.4 and both of them hate the micro USM focusing on it. I'm not saying it's worth the jump to the 50 1.2, just do your research. Perhaps others here have had better luck and can provide more than my anecdotal evidence.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

SoundMonkey posted:

What do you mean, it's always good times explaining that an 11-22 and a 200-400 are both technically "2x zoom."

A coworker asked me about this, and it was honestly the first time I ever really understood what they meant on those cameras with 3x / 5x zoom. It was the first time I ever gave it thought. Trying to explain focal length to him was a frustrating exercise.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Corkscrew posted:

Anyway thanks for the tips. It only occured to me as I was typing my post that the higher f-stop was probably costing me some sharpness. Still learning! I'll be picking up a hood soon too.

In the meantime you can find a paper cup and cut out the bottom or roll up a piece of paper or something to get pretty much the same effect, just ghetto style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
Awesome and informative post there Wild EEPROM! My takeaways:

- Do visit All Good Friends for the awesome selection and to nerd out on the gear
- Do not buy anything camera related in Hong Kong

• Locked thread