Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
This is a great thread, everyone. Just finished reading from page one, and a lot of the advice has seemed really solid. It’s also really cool how welcoming everyone seems to be towards noobs such as myself.

I just bought a t6i, pretty much the first “real” camera I’ve ever owned, and have been snapping away mostly with the 18-55 kit lens. A friend of mine, who helped pique my interest in photography in the first place, lent me his 75-300 to try out for a few days. I ended up wanting a longer zoom for myself, but after reading consistently bad reviews about the 75-300, including from posters here, I opted for an EX+ 55-250 IS from KEH.com for around $80. The only issue (that I can see) is that it’s not the STM version. Will I regret this? I really don’t plan on shooting much, if any, video, for what it’s worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Thanks for the assurance. Once I lay hands on that lens, and eventually a nifty fifty, I think I’ll consider myself all set for a while. I figure having those three lenses (including the kit 18-55) will offer a good selection for a beginner such as myself.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

my turn in the barrel posted:

Nifty 50 is great for portraits but on a crop like t6i the 24mm is a way more flexible walking around lens. Also is tiny and super easy to carry. Both are ~$100.

Good point about the crop factor. I would like to get some “walking around” utility out of a short prime, but I’ve also been having a lot of fun messing around with bokeh. How’s the DOF on the 24?

On a side note, my wife had an old Focal MC 135mm f2.8 kicking around (hooray for the ol’ K-Mart blue light special!). For shits and giggles I bought a cheapy MD to EF mount adaptor from Amazon. I remember the lens being reasonable to mess around with in close-ish outdoor settings on her old Vivitar V50, but it acts pretty long on my crop sensor—really goes to show what that 1.6 factor does to a given shot’s framing...

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Annath posted:

is there a tutorial on getting started with Lightroom? Like, super basic.

I don’t know what the desktop version of Lightroom is like yet, but I’ve had some fun playing around with the free app on my ipad. I assume it’s gimped in some way, but it’s a snap to use—everything’s done with sliders—and you can always revert your changes if you mess up (as I constantly do).

The pic below is an example of one of my first forays into shooting with a long-ish zoom (borrowed 75-300 canon), with the Lightroom-corrected version following:

Far from brilliant, but you can see how much monkeying you can do with light levels, colors, etc. even with the freebie version.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Kenny Logins posted:

This thread may be of some help to you.

Bookmarkin' the poo poo out of this. Thanks for the link!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Orions Lord posted:

Vliegenzwam by roland luijken, on Flickr

I am happy with this one. D3400

That's pretty cool. What kind of lens/settings?

e: Oops! Never mind! I see that the metadata's conveniently listed on the page.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 17, 2017

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Gonna Adobe® Photoshop® some Lego®.

ftfy

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

tater_salad posted:

I MUST have 2 wheels, 1 for shutter speed 1 for aperture. It makes shooting in full manual really easy.. I used my brothers cannon with 1 wheel and I found it annoying.

While I’ve enjoyed learning how to shoot with a Canon, the idea of having two wheels sounds really loving good to me.

No biggie, I suppose. I tend to keep it in Av anyway...

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Helen Highwater posted:

Canons beyond the scrub tier systems also have two wheels.

Please define “scrub tier”. We talking anything above the xxxD line?

Oops. Meant “below the xxD line”.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 14, 2017

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

blowfish posted:

xxD have two wheels but the second one is intentionally mediocre in the 77D and they all have an 8way button instead of a thumbstick. xD have two proper wheels and a thumbstick. That's why a 7D is still a superior camera for anything that moves vs the 80D or whatever even if they added a similar AF and newer features.

Ugh. Someday.

:homebrew:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

blowfish posted:

Used 7D is like $350?

$432 for a BGN graded mark I on KEH. Still not bad. Cheaper than I thought one would be.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Good info ITT. I sure as hell wish I'd started reading this subforum before my wife and I bought our T6i. Don't get me wrong, I've had a blast using it, and I certainly don't consider it to be a piece of junk, but I definitely would've gone for something gently used and higher-end had I realized how well bodies held up.

Hey, there's always next time.

My Second DSLR - 'Fool Me Twice, Shame On Me'

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah, but all of those “cameras” you mention lack character.

I’ve gotta have that warm, analog mirrorfeel.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Also, the 75-300mm lens in that kit is not the best- it doesn't have image stabilization. the Canon 55-250mm is probably the better super-cheap option.

Having used both lenses recently I definitely agree. You may get a little more reach with the longer of the two, but yeah, no IS, chromatic aberration when zoomed out, and (I think) generally poorer image quality.

I was able to find a practically new copy of the series II 55-250 (previous version) for what the 75-300 costs new. Go for the former.

E: Also, Mustang, from one noob to another, don’t make the same mistake I did in only looking at brand new camera bodies! There are a lot of great used/factory refurb options out there. Check out KEH.com, Canon’s very own refurb store, and other online outlets.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 28, 2017

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol. I forgot it was an EF lens. Jesus.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

On the other side of that is someone dumb like me that got frustrated with those junk pictures out of the rebels with kit lenses and upgraded to something better, leading to a slippery slope of me giving Canon a small fortune.

Please don't look into my future like that. It's kind of unsettling.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I finally got a nifty fifty and I kinda hate it, I miss my 24mm.

Focal length too long?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah, on my t3i it's effectively 80mm, I'm just so used to shooting with a big, wide, deep field rather than a compressed one so it's weird trying to find that same vibe.

I shoot with a Rebel too. The 50 definitely feels long on a crop body. I’ve got a 24mm now too, but before that, I used the kit 18-55 a fair bit for indoor stuff. Just needed to be sure I had plenty of light.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I love 50mm on a crop, it makes a nice short portrait lens.

I totally agree. I also like using mine for taking pictures of flowers and stuff while out on walks.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

tater_salad posted:

50mm is great for taking outside pictures of my kids and such inside I wish I had a 35 or 24 for inside.. I'll probably end up buying one.

That’s how things have panned out for me too. Unless I’m trying to snap a quick portrait of my kid, I don’t use my 50 much inside. The 24, on the other hand, was great to have for family Christmas stuff.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

hope and vaseline posted:

Quick question, which Rebels are the ones to avoid right now, that are like basically a crippled previous gen body? Asking for a friend looking to buy her first starter dslr.

I believe it’s the T5i that’s just a worked over T4i. My T6i’s not too bad—new sensor and wifi over the T5i. I don’t know beans about the T7i.

Also, avoid Rebels without the i suffix.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Also, something I wish I’d done before buying a Rebel was check out used/refurbed 70Ds/80Ds. It sounds like there’s a bit of a performance bump and a significant ergonomics upgrade. Depending on where you look, prices are comparable to a brand new Rebel.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Happy hunting, goon. Sounds like you’ve got a pretty good game plan.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Helen Highwater posted:

The SL2, T6 and T7i in the current range should probably be avoided. If you go for a 77D, or a 70/80D you get a top LCD and an extra control wheel which are very much worth it. The 77D fits in between the T7i and the 80D range wise, it's not an upgrade on the 70D despite the usual Canon naming convention.

What do you know about the T7i, HH? I haven’t seen much on it review-wise.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

The 70-300 will always be useful even if you eventually get a 150-600 or whatever.

Absolutely. I held onto my 55-250 after getting the 150-600. It's a great focal length for backyard child shenanigans.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

Careful where you say that, they might get the idea to charge subscriptions for a camera's software controlled features.

Ugh. I think we can actually expect this at some point.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Soopafly posted:

Sony already does that with some things like in-camera double exposures.

:thumbsup:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

landgrabber posted:

this but with rebel T(number)i cameras. i got a t5i body for $270

That's a good deal.

Got my first second DSLR used. 7D for $500. I love preowned equipment.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Helen Highwater posted:

There's a Yongnuo 35mm f/2 for less than a hundo, I have no idea how good it is mind. But yeah, the equivalent first party lens is also an f/2 and is $550 or there's an f/2.8 macro for $300.

I've got both the 50mm and the 24mm pancake. I wonder if there'd be much utility in purchasing something like that that's in between. I suppose it all comes down to individual use case...

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

That "weird little bifocal circle" is indeed an aid for manual focusing.

My wife has an old Vivitar SLR with this setup. The two half-circles are clear, with the rest of the viewfinder frosted, if I remember right. I thought it was a pretty cool way to handle manual focusing. It was really easy to tell when you were in focus--just line up the two halves. When we got our first DSLR, I bought an adapter for our old 135mm Focal MC. It was a real bitch to manually focus that on a newer body, as you don't have that same frosted effect in the viewfinder to help you adjust.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah, it’s my understanding that weather sealing/no weather sealing isn’t really a binary state. When I bought my 7D I thought “cool, it’s weather sealed”. Then I started reading about newer bodies that have even better weather sealing. I think that realization helps me to avoid any false sense of security.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I just learned about how Fuji does their aperture/ISO/shutter speed adjustments and it seems really cool. It especially seems like it'd be a good way to learn the basics of exposure and light budgeting in general.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Last September my wife and I bought our first DSLR--a Rebel T6i--as part of one of those Amazon kits. In hindsight, I realized I should've just gone to Canon's refurb store and bought the body and lens. Most of the stuff that comes in those bundles is garbage. Seriously, check out the factory refurbished offerings. I know Canon offers something like a one year warranty. I bet other mfgs. do similar.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

Best bundle I got was a 64gb sandisk class 10 SD card and tamron's tap-in thingy when I got my 70-200. It was the same price as unbundled lenses so sure, why not.

Oh, for sure. That's a no-brainer. loving Vivitar screw on lenses on the other hand? Not so much, I quickly learned.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

WhatEvil posted:

4k video... at 15fps.

:stare: Are they just hoping people won't notice that spec.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah, looks like it's got some nice center sharpness.

• Locked thread