Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

OneTwentySix posted:

Could someone please recommend a camera for me? I tried to read the OP, and while it is really informative, everything just goes over my head. I think I'd do better if I settled on a camera, and then learned what its features mean, rather than having no reference point to apply it to.

I've used point and shoots up until now, but got my old camera wet when I was salamandering, and while it still works, the flash is broken and I think it's time to move on to something nicer. The main thing I use my camera is for closeup macro shots, like of reptiles, amphibians, and invertebrates, but I also take habitat shots and photos of enclosures. Something that might also take good pictures of animals in water (in the wild, aquariums, or plastic containers with clear water) would be great, and it would be a huge plus if it was waterproof (I don't know if this is a thing or not). I also breed and sell amphibians, and I'd like to be able to take photos for my website or classified ads that would actually help me sell animals or enclosures, rather than just showing what they look like.

I don't have a lot of money, but I should be able to manage the $400-600 range. There are quite a few cameras on Amazon for $350-$450, but I have no idea what any of that means or if they're decent cameras, whether or not I'll need to buy other accessories, or if spending an extra hundred dollars would be worth the investment or not. If anyone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

You can get waterproof/weather proof cameras. For point and shoots there are things like the Pentax wg-1 and Olympus TG-1 (I think those are model numbers) and their associated versions in their model lines. Last years models can be found for under 200, and are waterproof/shockproof. These are point and shoots, but they are pretty solid and do basically everything you might want.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-WG-3-G...rds=pentax+wg-3 has shake reduction, gps, waterproof to 45 feet, and even has a built in ring light for better macro shots. The non gps version is under 200.

For things with interchangable lenses there aren't as many options for full on waterproof , but nikon has the Nikon 1 AW1 http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Nikon1/27669/Nikon-1-AW1.html which also meats your criterea, but it very new and the price is on the higher side still.

If you're ok with things just being weather proof you have a lot more options for camera bodies, a lot of them are probably going to be more than 4-600. I use an Olympus OM-D and it works great in the rain, but even used the body + lens is probably going to be above 800. Old higher end dslr's with canon or nikon that have weather sealing can probably be found in your price range, but you might have to take care about what lenses you use as they might not be weather sealed. Pentax has some good weather sealed bodies and lenses for relatively cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

OneTwentySix posted:

Thank you for the recommendations. Being water-proof isn't very important, since I don't SCUBA or snorkel, but it would be useful for an accident - I'd just keep it away from the water, then. Water resistant would be nice, though; with weather proofing, I'd still be fine in rain? I do go out in the rain sometimes.

The Pentax K-30 is in my price range if I buy it used. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009W7WW26/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller= That's a really major price drop, though; is that something I should be concerned about?

Yup, you'd be just fine in the rain.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

triplexpac posted:

This might be a better question for the lighting thread, but since it's a newbie question I thought I'd toss it out here:

I have a Canon Rebel T3i. What should my first flash be?

I'd like something that I can use detached from the camera, other than that I'm not sure what I'd need as someone who is just starting. I'm much more interested in shooting people & portraits than scenery or still life, if that helps.

Yongnuo 560 is the best way to go if you don't neeeeed TTL (you probably don't!).

The the ex3 version has a wireless trigger receiver built in too, otherwise any cheap trigger will work fine for casual use.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The sigma 28-80 that I had for my sd14 was p. solid too.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

sirbeefalot posted:

So with an EF and EF-S lens of equal focal length on my SL1, I'll get a smaller portion of the scene with the EF lens... is that right? In other words the EF lens would appear more zoomed in? Or am I totally off base and they would both give me the same field of view?

No, both lenses would give you the same Field of View on the SL1.

Focal length never ever changes, it's the effective field of view that does (since the size of the image circle projected onto the sensor, or the size of the sensor).

If you were to use both lenses on a FF camera the EF lens would work fine, but the EF-S lens would leave a black circle since it doesn't project a big enough image to cover a FF sensor.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, but when someone's fawning over the perspectives of my pictures taken with a FF, telling him that I've used a lens with a certain focal length won't help him trying to replicate it, tho. So I'll be telling him about an adjusted focal length.

Good job perpetuating stupidity I guess.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

BANME.sh posted:

I think the D5xxx has a slightly bigger sensor but only slightly (1.5 crop vs. 1.6). Slightly higher maximum ISO, more autofocus points, and a flip-out screen. Not much else.

I don't think it's a bigger sensor at all, and the rest of that really depend son which d5xxx you're comparing to your d3xxx (apart from the flip out screen).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The OM-Ds are pretty close too, although they're more me super in size than FM2.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

On the other hand, a 50mm reverse mounted to an 18-55 can get you decent results. Can get you some halfway decent results with the right software to step the focus motor and focus stack some shots.

12-08-30_202119_M=B_R=8_S=4.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

and

12-08-31_224757_M=B_R=8_S=4.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

were both done that way, using controlmynikon to step the focus motor between each shot.

A reverse mounted 50mm lens is still probably my favorite way to macro on a nikon crop body though. Get a flash to control the lighting too!

DSC_0236.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Although really for model ships like that I'm not sure you really want a true macro lens, rather just something with a decent close working distance.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

I don't have either Tamron, but I note that Tamron about to be on Amazon Black Friday sale is the older one, without vibration compensation. This one, with VC, is the recommended one from the OP. I've been eyeing that one with the VC, and I'm think the VC would be handy at those ranges.

Save up and get the one with VC (you can find it used for pretty good, and they run rebates pretty often [and tamron's rebate service is p. good!]). It's the best long zoom and it's comparable to the nikon/canon brands that cost 600+, it's an amazing deal if you get one for around 300.

The cheap ones are passable, but not great, and a reversed 50mm lens is probably a bit nicer for macro, and it's not really good at 300mm.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I'd rather use the old Rebel XS that I have sitting around than a T5.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

For 229 if they ship the camera you might be come out ahead selling the t5 and picking up a used t3i or something to go along with the lenses.

Would still rather look for a used tamron 70-300 VC for that price range though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Glorious Takumar Asahi Pentax Ricoh

mods, tia

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

codo27 posted:

Rebel SL1, T5i or D3200?

for what?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Roundboy posted:

d7100 (or 7000) vs a 60D Im not invested in lenses or brand, but I'm trying to narrow choices to jump when i'm ready to buy next month or when a good deal comes along.

60D is tugging me, but rational thought shows the 7xxx stuff is showing some cool new things I may want to take advantage of as a completely novice picture taker who will just fart around 99% of the time.

rational thinking says grab older stuff which is also fine, but i like to not be 'obsolete; day one. I know my choices are stupid, but if i knew why, i wouldnt need to make them :/ I just want bang for buck.. convinced the wife we -need- this :)

Real talk: when investing in lenses, realistically just having one general macro / portrait / oh look at that pretty thing lens for a long while, which is the better overall system ? I will buy used / referb / 3rd party

step 1: buy a d7100, step 2: rip the '/' key out of your keyboard and throw it away. step 3: realize it doesn't matter what camera you use and just buy a copy of understanding exposure to figure out what you're doing. step 4" regret all the money you invested in the camera body instead of lenses.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Kenshin posted:

There are good reasons not to go mirrorless but for the vast majority of people those reasons don't apply. (one is if you need really long reach for sports or wildlife photography, there are very few long telephotos available for mirrorless systems yet)

On the other hand, a shorter lens will get you farther on a mft sensor. And oly's 40-150 and upcoming 300/2.8 are nuts.

And there's plenty of 43 lenses you can adapt if you don't want to wait (but then it won't be cheap either).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Your shutter speed during video is independent of (but bounded by) the frame rate. You can shoot 1/1000 at 30fps, for example. So you can shoot the exact same exposure at 24fps or 30fps or 60fps, as long as you have enough light to play with.

Video people (in my experience) like narrow apertures for broad depth of field, like f/16 or f/22, so you might have to crank up the ISO to maintain fast-enough shutter speeds to stay quicker than your frame rate. A shutter speed equal to the frame rate (e.g. 1/30 at 30fps) wouldn't actually work, when is the shutter closed? In a DSLR the shutter is a physical thing, a piece of plastic or metal that slides back and forth (or up and down) in front of the sensor, it needs time to move around.

I really doubt your shutter is going to be closing every single frame. You'd never get more than 11 fps or so out of a camera if you were doing that.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Good point. I don't actually know what's going on inside my camera, I just make guesses. Either way, 1/30 at 30fps seems unlikely.

Really all depends on how fast the camera can buffer frames and write them to disk. At least with a go pro the listed max shutter speed for video is 1/(frame rate), so it's possible!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

windex posted:

Realistically, though - if this is a hobby she has been into for awhile and has already exceeded phone cameras, the middle ground fixed lens cameras are good moves from that on a budget, but she'll hit the limits of them promptly if I had to guess.

Going with a big interchangable lens camera is an investment but if you do it well and understand the limitations of systems to some degree you will be able to slowly accumulate lenses and replace camera bodies over time without sacrificing too much. If going with a big DSLR, you have NIkon and Canon as serious has-third-party-lens-support makers. The hard part is deciding on APS-C vs full frame sensors, and it depends on what you are shooting. APS-C is the cheaper route, because the lenses require less glass to manufacture. However, you can't use lenses specific to APS-C sensor cameras on full frame sensor bodies. You also have smaller sensor options like Micro Four Thirds (Olympus/Panasonic).

So, really, what you need to know is:

How long will she keep this hobby up, how much do you have to spend to encourage it, and how much do you want to avoid retooling later?

In context of new camera + new lens.. Full frame DSLRs you'd start somewhere around $3,000 for a viable 3-5 year entry point. APS-C is about $2,000. MFT would be about $1,000.

You can spend less but... if she has actually maxed out smartphone photography, welp. There are some middle ground cameras but not that come in much cheaper. The Canon EOS T6s body only is somewhere around $850 which is already out of your budget and is probably the lowest end camera I would recommend someone buying into Canon system to purchase.

I think the best thing to do for a 13 year old who is interested in the hobby is to set a budget and let her make her own decision, and also strongly suggest she contemplate finding a way to earn and save additional money to get something she really wants if nothing fits.

And: I got my niece who is about the same age a point and shoot fixed lens camera and she's already bored to tears with it because, well, it sucks. It is probably getting replaced over her Birthday/Christmas (same time-ish) with a Olympus PEN-F and a manual focus lens so she can spend time learning more of the guts of photography. I expect that to cost ~$2k. But I am also the rich uncle who spoils the poo poo out of his nieces and nephews as divine retribution towards my siblings.

holy loving poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

When I got started I got a d40 + kit lens for ~$200, and it was great. Would still be pretty great. Everyone in here saying you should spend 2000 at a minimum to get into the hobby should probably be banned since they have so much extra money to blow on poo poo, they could use it to buy a new account.

Or even better yet, stop posting!

• Locked thread