Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

fknlo posted:

I believe the 18-55 kit lens is pretty lovely, but I can't say whether it's worth it or not to get the 18-135 kit. I've got it, but it's because Best Buy screwed up and gave me the wrong one. Seems to be a decent lens so far. I do plan on getting the 50mm f/1.8 in the near future.

It's not "lovely". It takes good pictures, but it's slow, meaning it's difficult to take pictures in low light. For most people, the Canon 18-55 (new version with IS) is perfectly fine. At least start with it until you learn its limitations and know what else you want out of a lens.

It's especially not lovely if you consider the 18-135 to be decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Some lenses are objectively sharper than others, but the difference to most people is negligible. Not to mention people talk about how awesome some exotic and expensive 85mm 1.2 is, then shoot wide open and miss focus anyway.

I for some reason must shoot wide open always and I probably have shittier pictures than someone with a kit lens because of it.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Man you guys get pissy about weird stuff.

Take photos if you want, if you get asked to put your camera away, be polite and do so. Done.

• Locked thread