Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Ratspeaker posted:

As mentioned, I'm trying to get into wildlife photography. I've sampled a few different cameras in the past, and regular point and shoot models don't have the range or the speed to capture targets the way I'd like--especially birds, my subject of choice. So I'll need something for outdoor with good portability and longevity, as well as the ability to photograph in low-light conditions at times. I've heard that Nikon is better for low-light shots, but Canon has a faster and more reliable autofocus system. Is this true?

Stabilization systems are also important to me. I have a slight essential tremor in my hands that makes long-range shots tricky, but I don't want to be completely reliant on a tripod. I know stabilization is mostly done in the lenses nowadays--is there a significant difference between the quality in Canon vs. Nikon's systems?

I'm not opposed to buying used, if you can recommend a good place to do so. I'm not sure how up-to-date the links in the OP are.

My wife has a d3400 with the 2 lens kit. I have a pentax k3ii. Pentax doesnt have anything good in the same price range for birding. I would reccomend the d3400. With the 300mm zoom and the kit lens it is $500 now at costco and some other retailers when on sale. It has stabilization in the lens and is relatively lightweight and compact. The sensor is newer than anything else around this budget. You can crop more, use higher iso, and still have a usable/printable image compared to cameras with smaller screens or older sensors. You can upgrade to the nikon 200-500 or tamron 150-600 later if you need more reach.

An olympus em5 or em10 ii with a 75-300mm zoom is another option for around the same price but used. The crop factor means you are effectively getting a 600mm lens instead of 450mm with the nikon. The crop factor in micro four thirds is 2x, instead of 1.5x for nikon or 1.6x for canon. Crop factor also affects your effective aperture so you are not getting something for nothing. Olympus and mirrorless in general has better video and better burst rate, often has touch screens and flippy screens. But there is some tradeoff with low light performance with the older sensor and smaller size. Combining in lens stabilization like the panasonic 100-300 ii with the olympus camera body stabilization is an option.

IME the image stabilization reliably gives about 2 stops worth of speed for handheld shots against stationary targets for a d3400 and the 70-300mm compared to having it turned off. The four stops they advertise is unrealistic. I would expect 2.5-3 stops worth on the olympus instead of the 5 advertised. It has no effect on motion blur for birds in flight or if you are using a tripod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

The d3x00 has no wifi, auto bracketing, in camera hdr, focus peaking(not on many nikon cameras), not fully tethering compatible, single control wheel, light consumer build quality/not weather sealed, only 5 fps and a weak buffer, no touch screen, no articulated screen, no in camera motor for autofocus with older lenses, no 4k video, no shutter lockup, limited compatibility with intervalometers pr other accessories, AF performance is not as good. For the d3400 auto sensor cleaning, accessory port, in camera panorama and mic input were removed compared to the d3300.

Most of the above features are nice to have but not needed to take great pictures. The af performance in low light is the biggest drawback and the articulated screen is good to have for other kinds of wildlife. If birds are your main use, a newer camera with better image quality is better than an older camera with more features for the same price.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

wargames posted:

The x-t1 seems outside my budget since i am wanting camera + lenses for 750 or less, also the fuji lens seem more up market in cost.

thinking this might be fine

http://www.jetcameras.com/Nikon_D56...5RoCwxoQAvD_BwE

Jetcameras is a scam site. Don't buy anything from them. Look at the reviews of the site online. After ordering someone will call you and say it is sold out, or that it doesn't come with some needed thing like a battery, or the version you ordered is not in english, but they have the one you need for $300 more, and it will probably be a grey market version with no warranty.

Do you prefer the optical viewfinder on a DSLR or an electronic viewfinder on a mirrorless camera? How important is the size, and what about weatherproofing? Do you need a flippy screen?

Consider a Pentax K-70. You get a lot of features for the price. With the 18-135 lens it is weatherproof unlike most other options in this price range.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Pentax puts weather sealing on all of their cameras and along with the IBIS it makes them bigger and heavier. The k-3, kp and k-70 don't have a touch screen. Sony, Panasonic and Olympus also have IBIS, and touch screens on most models. AF performance depends on the whole system of lens aperture, lens/body AF motor, sensor af points, and sensor af cross type points, but it is comparable to similarly priced DSLRs. You will get better af performance on a K-70 with a 70-200 f2.8 than a D500 with an 70-300 f5.6.

The d5500 is the first from that series with a touch screen. You can get a refurbished d5500 with the kit lens for $560, and then buy the 55-200 VR ii refurbished for $130. The 70-300 that comes in the two lens kit is kind of soft, and does not have VR. VR is more helpful on telephoto lenses. If you want to shoot a telephoto landscape around sunset at f11 VR is the difference between 1600 iso and 6400+. If you don't need a flippy touchscreen the d3500 comes out in a few weeks, and d3400 is basically the same camera. I would get the $400 refurbished d3400 with the kit lens, and the 55-200 over the two lens kit because of the VR again. I'm not as familiar with the Canon options but the T6i is similar to the d5500.

On the mirrorless side the Panasonic gx85 two lens kit is $600 new. You get good 4k video too. Very light, almost pocketable. It has in camera charging with usb, The screen tilts, but doesn't flip, and its a touch screen. Olympus Em 10 mk ii is similar in features wise and in price, the UI is different. There is some trade off in image quality with the smaller sensors, mostly in lower light.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

ExecuDork posted:

A prime lens with a 35mm focal length ALWAYS has a focal length of 35mm.

There are some more wrenches to throw in towards understanding focal length and field of view. Lens focal lengths are only nominal. Many 50mm lenses are closer to 52mm, many 300mm lenses are actually shorter than 300mm. In practice this rarely matters, but there will be a slight difference when comparing lenses of the same focal length from different manufacturers.

The marked focal length is the property of the lens when focused to infinity. The field of view and effective focal length will change when the lens is not focused to infinity. This is more of a problem with lenses that use internal focus and have fixed front elements. As an extreme example the Nikon 70-200 VR2 F2.8 when close focused at 200mm marked on the lens is actually about a 125mm focal length.

• Locked thread