Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
While I posted this question in the Canon thread, I feel like this thread may be a better (but not perfect) target for the query, so here it goes.

Are there any recommendations for what to consider when buying a used camera body? It will be my first foray into Canon equipment (so it's kind of thread related) and my first try at used gear and I really don't want to end up with an $800 brick. I could go into more detail about specific concerns but I dont want to poo poo up this request with concerns that may not be valid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

GoldenNugget posted:

Get a refurb from Canon. You get either a barely used body or it's pretty much new but the box was damaged and was sent back. Basically new and a 90 day warranty. There's a refurb sale going on now with 20% off: http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_22751

That was going to be on the list of my follow up questions, i.e. what kind of reputation does the Canon refurbs have? Sounds like they are a good bet :)

E: Also, anybody familiar with how often Canon runs the 20% sale on refurbs? Is it a couple of times a year?

CrushedWill fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 26, 2013

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

jackpot posted:

Anecdotal, but my XTi and later my 40D were both Canon refurbs bought off of ebay, and if it hadn't been for the auctions saying they were refurbs I'd have thought they were brand new. I think the only way you can get a bum deal on a Canon refurb is through outright fraud, i.e. someone's selling one with the Canon stamp that wasn't actually refurbished. Which I've never heard of happening, but I'm sure it's possible.

I'm probably going to be buying my 7d refurb via Canon direct, so the fraud thing won't be an issue. Thank you for the validation that the refurb equipment is worth owning.

They are running a 20% sale now and with that discount the refurb is less than what a *decent* 7d is going for used from local camera dealers. I hope to god they have another one soon as I dont have the cash to spend on it just this moment.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

blk96gt posted:

Thanks for the recommendation on the T4i. I went to BB tonight and checked out the Nikon d5100, Canon T4i, and the Sony a57. I think I've narrowed it down to the T4i and a57. The a57 seemed to have a bit better feel to it. At this point I'm guessing it just comes down to preference?

I'm also still trying to figure out what lenses to get. I was going to get the 50mm f/1.8 that was recommended earlier, but I'm not sure if the 18-55 or 18-135 kit would be better? About $150 difference. Should I save that $150 and put it towards a Tamron 70-300 VC or something as recommended by Mr. Despair and skip the 55-250?

Generally (and I say generally), the picture quality is going to be better if you use a 'prime' lens like a 50mm/1.8 than with any kit lenses. Of course, you sacrifice zoom capability.

When I bought my Nikon D70 many moons ago, I bought it with a kit lens (35-85 I think) and shot that for a long time. I then bought a 50mm/1.8, and never went back to the kit lens afterwards due to the better PQ.

• Locked thread