Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I'm not sure this is exactly the right place for this, but who knows maybe it is. I need to buy a camera for use in our microbiology lab. There are going to be two distinct uses for it. One will be for taking macro-type shots of tiny things or relatively tiny things. We have a nice Canon point and shoot now that works...terribly for this. Autofocus never focuses on the right thing. The other is taking pictures of various things on top of variably white/blue/UV transilluminators using filters to image the fluorescence. Ideally I would be able to see a preview and operate the camera (including zoom and focus) from a computer via USB/Firewire. My only experience with DSLRs was a Pentax that did absolutely nothing like this. Am I right in thinking I want a DSLR? Does anyone know which cameras are best for being operated remotely like that? I'm not even necessarily stuck on a new camera, I don't need anything fancier than those requirements, but most cameras are cheap compared to the Rolera EM-CCD camera we just bought to stick on our microscope.

Is there a reason you can't just get a gel dock from a company like BioRad? They're set up for this kind taking pictures of gels. Our lab uses one to take pictures for UV/white transillumination. They're not ideal for taking pictures of small objects. They may be out of your price range though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Bartleby posted:

Oh man, I had this just yesterday for the first time, the beeping at least. But generally I am horrified that this slide capturing is now becoming a big thing. Every presentation, and every loving new step on a slide. And all the iPads being wielded too. gently caress you all.

Ugh, this poo poo drives me nuts as well. Don't most conferences have some sort of no photography policy? All of the meetings I've been to have a confidentiality statement, and a no photography policy.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

I have a newbie lens question. I bought my first DSLR, a body only Canon 60D in July, and picked up a used EF 70-300mm f4/5.6 off of the forums. This setup works for me most of the time, since I mostly have been shooting birds and wildlife with the occasional landscape shot thrown in. I'd like to get a wider and faster lens that will work indoors, and something lighter/wider for hiking through some of the narrow trail corridors in New Hampshire. I've seen the Canon 50 mm f/1.8 mentioned as a good budget lens, but I feel like this might not be wide enough on a crop body. Any recommendations?

• Locked thread