Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Golluk posted:

Hmm, I'm not seeing any D7100 near that price. I see five listed in the GTA at $750-950 CAD, Body only.
I think that deal was only good for one day. I wouldn't be surprised to see it pop up again, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Thoogsby posted:

Yeah the record time limits are implemented on DSLRs based on some arbitrary classification of something being a still or video camera. I think it's 15 or 30 minutes?
30 minutes, from what I've heard. It's an EU thing.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

What's the best (or least-bad) free program for working with my RAW files? I've been using one called RawTherapee. It's worked fine for me, but I also only have small knowledge of a few ideas like saturation and contrast, so even the basic editing panel has many more sliders than I understand.
To stoke even more autistic rage in the thread, here's a video from Tony Northrup talking about RawTherapee (which I use, it's OK) and PhotoScape X: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWC-SAuYOzw

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

I was looking at this one here but I'm not sure how Amazon Basics are for quality https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00CDS9EKE
I know I'm not the only one here who likes the Amazon Basics backpack. It's not the best bag ever made or anything, but it works well enough.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

I personally prefer messenger style bags over backpacks but thank you for the tip regardless!
Sure, I was more pointing out that the Amazon Basics stuff is decent enough quality.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

89 posted:

My buddy wants to buy my Nikon D5100 + the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens I have with a few accessories. What would be a good price? Don't want to rip him off, want to be fair.
Depending on condition $300 would probably be pretty fair.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

ukrainius maximus posted:

Is a refurbished Nikon D3200 a good place to start?
Personally, for a $399 refurbished camera I'd go with the D3300 because:

• It's a little newer, so getting it repaired is less likely to be a hassle.
  • It comes with a kit lens that has VR, which is enough on its own to be worth switching.
  • The battery should last noticeably longer than the 3200.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

torgeaux posted:

What if the chair IS white? Eh, what about then?
Especially then.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Javid posted:

Adorama has Nikon D3100 bodies for $199 right now - what's a decent general purpose lens I can add to that for like under a hundred bucks for a budget starter kit? I can't really throw much more at this project.
You can still get a refurbished 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II for $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Of the ones you listed, this would be the kit that I would recommend. The camera will be good, and the two kit lenses are pretty highly regarded (for kit lenses, I'd still suggest getting the 35mm f/1.8 as well just because it's so cheap and good).

• Locked thread