Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
LA radio station morning show had waiters call in to complain and one of the top complains was people taking pictures of their food. *shrugs* Just tip well and they'll probably forget about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I have the VC version. Some people say it's image quality is slightly less than the NON-VC version. It worked out fine. To be honest though. Once I got a sigma 30mm 1.4 I don't take that off the camera.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I realize there's probably a mirrorless thread but I follow this thread so I'm going to ask here.

My 20 month old broke my really old point and shoot that I use for work. Real Estate Appraisal, so I shoot exterior and interior pictures of houses.

I'm torn between buying a rugged point and shoot just for ease of use at work. Or do I buy a mirrorless camera? We currently have a canon xsi and sigma 30 1.4. It would be nice to be able to have an autofocus which could keep up with a toddler yet still be lighter and easier to fit into a stuffed full diaper bag.

Things I need for work. Wide Angle. Flash (for shooting in attic's)

Things I want for personal use. Something fast enough to follow a toddler and as good or better as our current DSLR setup. (canon xsi + sigma 30mm 1.4)

Hdip fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 15, 2014

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I figured this was the best thread to ask a dumb question.

Wife was using a canon xsi and sigma 30mm 1.4 (not art) to take pictures at parties and of kids. I wanted to get her something better since that is a very old camera.

Tried out a fuji xe1 with a 35mm 2.0 but that was mostly because I loved the style of the camera. The shots we were getting didn't seem all that much better than the old canon. I was expecting a noticeable difference I guess. Ended up returning it within the return window thinking that I could get a more noticeable difference if I went full frame.

Currently have a Nikon D750 and a 50mm 1.8G. After an initial learning curve of figuring out a new camera system again we got some decent shots out of it. Taking pictures in very dark scenes is pretty awesome. But it's not fun to shoot pictures and have them look bad or not realize if you got the shot until you put it through lightroom. So the camera has sat on the shelf for about 3 weeks without being used. She grabbed it off the shelf today to take pictures of our 4 year old and his gingerbread house. She *sighed* and said she's sad she can't take good pictures anymore.

Here are the dumb questions. What is the problem here? The 50mm on full frame should be similar to the 30mm on a canon crop right? So it's not a field of view problem. I understand that the d750 is technically better, but why was the old canon more enjoyable to shoot with? Should I give Fuji another shot since we really liked the size and style of the camera or is it not enough of a difference from an old Canon xsi?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I may have a 55-250 in my closet I don't use.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

ukrainius maximus posted:

Hi friends, I hope this is not a bad thing to do but I am looking to buy my wife a camera for her birthday. I've read the OP and there's a ton of good information in there but I was hoping to get a little direct feedback as well. My wife loves taking pictures and I'm constantly amazed at how good her iPhone pictures look compared to my lovely, shaky-hand pics (of which nearly 99% are of my dog). She loves the idea of making this her hobby and we are taking a trip to Ireland for 2 weeks this summer, so I want her to be able to have some nice equipment to work with.

Is a refurbished Nikon D3200 a good place to start? I've decided to go with Nikon, purely to just make a decision. Amazon is selling a D3200, certified refurbished, for $399. It seems like a fair price and it's in my budget, although I'm not sure if I should be looking at a different model or not. I definitely don't intend to buy the absolute newest equipment but the OP hasn't been updated for 3 years and I'm not sure if there's a better option or not.

I'm just looking for a recommendation on something decent to buy for a beginner, nothing crazy but something nice. If you could recommend at least one lens that I should get, that would be fantastic!

Thanks!

Counterpoint to your decision. DSLR's are to big. Get her a mirrorless fuji. Go to the mirrorless thread and ask in there.

I'm not a photographer. I have however bought my wife several camera's. She used a DSLR a bunch for a few years. She's mostly back on her iphone now and I use the DSLR on occasion. DSLR's do take beautiful pictures but will your wife want to carry it around when the iphone fits in her purse?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

ukrainius maximus posted:

Since I still really know nothing about cameras, besides an SD card or two, what type of lens (or 2) should I be looking to get her to pair with this?

Again, I'm not a photographer, but I've been in your place. For nikon get the 35mm 1.8.

Whoops I put a link to the wrong lens in here. Ignore that. Carry on.

Hdip fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Speleothing posted:

The $100 difference on bodies and twice that on lenses is hard to beat, but I keep thinking I'd like the weatherproofing.

How often will you be wanting to stand in the rain taking photos?

• Locked thread