Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You can get plenty of OOF areas with a Crop sensor and a fast 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Somebody is probably selling a vr2 on your local Craigslist for $100 right now.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

im an orange posted:

i'm interested in getting a 70-300 mm lens for my nikon d3200. can anyone recommend me a lens? cheap but still good. i'm hoping to keep the budget under $200-250 if possible
Tamron stabilized

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, used entry level DSLRs from even a couple years back tend to go for peanuts and have quite competent sensors.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You guys taping poo poo to your flash heads are loving fire hazard.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd like a camera with the following features:

- compact (complementing a d800, ideally very compact)
- M43 or larger sensor
- interchangeable lens, fast wide/normals available
- ideally a good viewfinder, but I can deal without

I'm mostly looking at a GM1 now, and going to try an E-PL later.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

No. Get the 3 if that's what you can afford.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you don't have glass yet, the kit lens is always worth it. Next would probably be a fast normal prime (35mm f/1.8) then something at whatever edge of the kit's range you feel you're missing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You can release without refocusing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Get a not-quite-newest m43 body for peanuts, and either a wideish fast prime or a normal zoom.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also a card reader if you don't have a machine with one. That's all.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you're a news reporter why hasn't your employer provided you with iphone photography training?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

They're actually surprisingly usable. You should still never buy one.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Elliotw2 posted:

Strongly consider a M4/3 camera.
This p much. You can get not-quite-latest bodies for a song.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bazanga posted:

Welp, that's what I figured. Thanks for the input. I'll start the return process now. :)
FYI your mother is batshit. Who the gently caress impulse-purchases a grand worth of stuff on a salesperson's advice *for someone else*?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DoF completely depends on the focus distance so practice practice practice.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Either upgrade to a cool APS-C body of your choice (keep using the same lens) but canon sensors are kinda meh right now, or get a fuji kit. This has the advantage of producing cool jpeg OOC.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You need to find out what lenses your pops has.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Twenty-Seven posted:

I have what's probably a dumb question that I have no experience with sooo I guess I'll put it in this thread.

I'm going to be sending my OM-D into Olympus to have them replace a flaky rear dial before the warranty is up. While I'm at it, I've got a lens with a tiny speck of something or another on one of the internal elements, right dead center. I can never seem to notice any problem in the images so I probably wouldn't bother with it if I wasn't already shipping the camera. Should I send it in as well, is this something they can open up and clean/fix? Should I even worry about it?

It looks something like this, thanks.
I'd send it in just in case I'd like to sell it at some point

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dren posted:

j/k guys I would never buy a used pisstax, I know better
lmao

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

This is a 'my first DSLR' kind of question, I guess. I've been trying to recalibrate my lenses using AF micro adjustment on my 5D2 (its bag took a bit of a spill.. everything still works fine but the fine focus was thrown off on the lenses that were in the bag). I seem to have gotten everything back into shape except that as I was comparing shots of this jury-rigged test target taken with my 100mm macro, I noticed that image quality was better when I was using live view - and seemingly not because LV focus is more accurate:

Live view focus - 1/80 @ f/2.8:

AF module/mirror focus 1/80 @ f/2.8:

In both images the same areas are "in focus" - it's just that the second (taken with normal viewfinder AF) is softer. Is this due to vibrations from mirror flip-up? The images taken with my 35mm lens do not show the same level of discrepancy in image quality between VF and LV shots. Are telephotos more prone to this issue? Raising the shutter speed to 1/160 doesn't seem to help, and that's about as fast as I can go as it's night time here and I don't trust high ISO images from critical comparisons such as this.
Are you even shooting from a good tripod?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nobody makes a bad Kit lens anymore, there's nothing to be ashamed about.

I really wish I'd saved the article about that photojournalist who had all his poo poo confiscated at the border on an assignment, literally bought the most basic poo poo at the airport duty free then proceed to produce photographs virtually indistinguishable in quality from colleagues.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'm pretty sure he was going to a gulf state during the Arab spring. Can't remember his name for he life of me

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The shutter is the largest and most likely wear part. It's also not the end of the world to replace.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If there's no charger chances are it was stolen.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

im gay posted:

Any recommended videos on improving this stuff or is the best advice to literally take thousands of photos?
Be mindful of what has gone wrong in past photos. If you're shooting all manual just go through the checklist (focus, exposure, framing) in your mind before mindlessly snapping away. Then practice practice practice.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

Yeah Adorama has Nikon refurbished D7100's right now for $580 which seems perfect for your price range and it'll allow your dad to use any old lenses he wants.
This.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

And also that lovely media will reliably gently caress your life. It's not as bad on a dual slot body (get two cheap cards and write to both), but really just spend the little extra and get good media.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

fyallm posted:

I was thinking about a Canon 60D used from KEH with a grade of EX+ with battery and charger for $528
Keh's become quite lovely so try adorama.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You've not told us what she's actually unhappy about.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

RedMagus posted:

What do you use to protect the back of the camera lense? Mine came with a lense, but no caps other than the one that goes over the front part.
A back cap. You'll get one with every lens you buy.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I don't have much to add because the post above was so informative, but it bears repeating that you should not use an aerosol duster on your camera equipment, especially not on your sensor. Don't risk having the coolant stuff discharge onto anything sensitive. Manual air blowers are a much better option. (An actual tank of compressed air is awesome as long as it has a good valve that lets you control airflow, but that's something you see more in repair shops than in the property of individual camera owners.)
Don't use a compressor near your sensor. They don't filter particulates, and they'll happily fling whatever they ingest onto your sensor at beaucoup speed.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Zero One posted:

Question regarding cleaning: No circular motion? Why not and what motion is best then?
If there's debris you'll drag it all over the lens. Wipe off, flap your cloth to clear stuff off, wipe again, etc.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

no idea what the o with a line through it meant
It's the symbol for diameter.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

At the time, vastly improved dynamic range. Today I'm p sure I wouldn't bother.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Annath posted:

So I went on a walk down to the river behind my house, Lightroom is currently importing all the photos haha.

Question: Is there a way to move previously imported photos to a new location while not loving up the LR catalog or whatever? I have some pictures that I took last summer before I put the camera in the closet for a yeah, and they are on my 256GB SSD, but now I have a 7TB external that I'd prefer all the big files go on.

For that matter, should I, or can I, move the LR catalog there too?
You move them from the browser pane in LR, so it moves the files and updates the DB at the same time. You should totally import to your SSD and move them later FYI, last time I checked LR was real lovely about import optimizations so it takes forever on spinning media.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you can stomach the weight and size it's excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A 50 is a great first portrait lens. That’s it.

• Locked thread