Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target
I finally got round to buying my first tripod today. Holy poo poo I can't believe how much of a difference they make. It should be the law that all first time camera purchasers also get a tripod. Mind. Blown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003

gredgie posted:

Cheers for the tips, I shall give it a go, my DSLR is currently on holiday round a friends house so I'll have to go pick it up and experiment.

Try and snag yourself a copy of "Understanding Exposure". It's a really excellent book that I found helpful when I was baffled by all this stuff.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
The worst that can happen is that you'll get kicked out of wherever you're eating. Most places couldn't give a gently caress however.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003

nerd_of_prey posted:

Does anyone here have a mac mini or iMac? I need an idea if what sort of spec is best for photo editing.

I have a 27" iMac and the screen on that thing owns for photo editing. I stuck an extra 12gb of RAM in there and it absolutely flies in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
Don't Nikons have rear end-backwards zoom as well? As in you turn the lens left to zoom?

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
Talk-Photography isn't too bad but it's very :britain:-centric. Also don't you dare mention there that you've offered to do any photography work for a reduced rate, or worse, free as DON'T YOU REALISE YOU'RE TAKING JOBS AWAY FROM REAL PHOTOGRAPHERS!!!!!!

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
Something like a 450D along with this lens is under your budget if you don't mind second hand gear.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
An 18-55mm is going to be pretty crap for birds unless you're shooting ostriches. Maybe get a second hand body (with no kit lens) and then the Tamron 70-300 VC? I've no idea what that would cost in dollars though. The main problem with that is if you want to take pictures of stuff that's close to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
I have a Yongnuo 560, a 565 and a pair of their wireless triggers, all for less than the price of one (1) Canon speedlight. They're super cheap and they haven't let me down yet. The only downside is that Yongnuo seem to bring out a new model about once per week so you're constantly kicking yourself that you're missing out on whatever new feature they've decided to include.

• Locked thread