Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Just got a Sigma 30 1.4 in for my T3i, wow is that a step up from the 50 1.8. Better focal length for what I need on a crop, but even without that, just not even a comparison quality wise. Haven't taken a close look at the quality between the two but it appears better, and with the focus alone it's no comparison.

This is also my first lens with a focus meter, is the infinity focus the setting you want for shooting at f/16 for long DOF shots(would prefer 22, but this lens only goes to 16). Any other uses for the focus meter and infinity focus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Headhunter posted:

Try and snag yourself a copy of "Understanding Exposure". It's a really excellent book that I found helpful when I was baffled by all this stuff.

Can't be said enough. After reading this the most auto you'll ever need is Av, and unless you need quick shots manual gets pretty easy.

Best $17 you will ever spend. I hear the layout of the electronic version is terrible, so go with the paperback.

*edit* Make that $15. No excuse.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding...anding+exposure

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 3, 2013

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
For cheap macro work I got a $10 set of extension tubes. Best $10 I've ever spent. No autofocus and you have to pre-set your aperture before putting the tubes on, but the effect is worth it.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 20, 2013

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Great deals, although it's so depressing that Nikon has so many lenses I would like for so much cheaper than I can get for my Canon. Sad face.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Sigma 30 1.4 is pretty awesome too. While I'd like a cheaper one, snagged mine for $310 and would have a hard time taking anything comparable over it.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
On the note of KEH, wife got me a Tamron 17-50 2.8 on there for Christmas. It was about $290 and other than a slight smudge on the focus ring (pretty sure I could clean it off even), looks and operates completely brand new. That lens and a starter body from there would be hard to go wrong for a very small amount of money.

After browsing KEH a while seeing the starting kits in stores is pretty humorous.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 30, 2013

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
I started off with a Canon and love it, but the equivalent sensors and lens options for crop sensors are a little better on the Nikon side. That being said, as much as I'd love the first party lens options, my hands just do not like Nikon cameras at all, so I'm really glad I went with Canon. They are all good, so that should probably be your determining factor. And even if the first party crop lenses don't have quite the selection, you can find some really good 3rd party ones that go with any brand (once I replace my cheap zoom, all my lenses will either be Sigma or Tamron, who needs brand names).

Another thing to keep in mind is if all your friends have Canon, I might do that just so you could steal borrow all their lenses.

And it can't be said enough, buy used, and KEH is awesome for that. On all the gear I've gotten used, I could probably sell it for as much or more than I paid for it. At least when it comes to lenses, they take the one time hit when you buy new, but then stay pretty flat in value over time.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 1, 2014

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

This is true but also sometimes the first-party option is the legit best option regardless of brand name.

Yeah, not to say they aren't at all, just that you don't necessarily have to go that route. Between my Tamron 17-50, Sigma 30 1.4, and future purchase of a Tamron 70-300 VC, not sure I'd rather go Canon even if they offered a comparable lens for the same price. On the other hand, will never get rid of my Canon 50 1.8, and it's impossibly cheap for how good of a lens it is.

Also get envious of the cheap primes Nikon offers, but it's not worth my hands cramping up trying to use the controls either (that's me, everyone is going to be different there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
My only question is how's the higher ISO performance of the 40D vs the T3i? Went with one of those rebate/printer combos with the T3i a while back, and while I like it, I do get pretty envious of the build of the 40D. Probably my biggest complaint with the T3i is even at ISO 800 you'll start to get grainy.

Even if you do go with the T3i combo, sell the kit lens and get the Tamron anyway. That lens is so good it's a joke for the price.

*edit* Looking at KEH they have 40Ds for what they would take a T3i sell price for. Am I crazy for thinking that might be an upgrade? Took the kids to a photographer that took some stunning photos with the 40D, but I guess the sensor may be a pretty big step down.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 23, 2014

• Locked thread