Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geeves
Sep 16, 2004

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I'm not sure this is exactly the right place for this, but who knows maybe it is. I need to buy a camera for use in our microbiology lab. There are going to be two distinct uses for it. One will be for taking macro-type shots of tiny things or relatively tiny things. We have a nice Canon point and shoot now that works...terribly for this. Autofocus never focuses on the right thing. The other is taking pictures of various things on top of variably white/blue/UV transilluminators using filters to image the fluorescence. Ideally I would be able to see a preview and operate the camera (including zoom and focus) from a computer via USB/Firewire. My only experience with DSLRs was a Pentax that did absolutely nothing like this. Am I right in thinking I want a DSLR? Does anyone know which cameras are best for being operated remotely like that? I'm not even necessarily stuck on a new camera, I don't need anything fancier than those requirements, but most cameras are cheap compared to the Rolera EM-CCD camera we just bought to stick on our microscope.

Might want to check with the guys in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531746

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Coloured stage lights in general, but especially LED; couple of the acts I covered last weekend used either bright red or blue spots, the blue is acceptable-ish as you seem to get more defined shadows, but bright red is just awful to process and get anything acceptable back, skin just goes a uniform red with nasty highlights.

Conversely, a nice clean white spot will give you a good photo 9/10 times, the pic I just put in the Portraits thread was just what I like best from stage lighting.

Related; with bright coloured stuff like this, do folks prefer 'realistic' and keep the colours like they actually were, or process them towards a more natural colour?

It's not perfect, but with some work in post you can make red-out photos passable. I did it last fall with some weird performance art, but it wasn't as good as this: http://petapixel.com/2013/04/21/quick-tutorial-on-removing-red-fill-light-from-concert-photos-in-lightroom/

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

In Understanding Exposure, Bryan Peterson suggests using f/22 every chance you get.

That's because Bryan Peterson lives closer to the sun than we do. (I actually thought he said set it to f/5.6 and forget about it - maybe that's another author.)

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

http://petapixel.com/2015/06/10/we-found-a-fly-inside-a-weather-sealed-lens/

• Locked thread