Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I want to take some photographs at night. What are some good places to do that, generally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
My battery died at perfect sunset sunlight. Lesson learned, world. Lesson learned.

I was shooting a dog beach with my kit 50-200 Nikon lens and I noticed that a lot of the photographs are out of focus. I was shooting aperture priority at f5 and trying to take a lot of action shots. Is this more of a function of the aperture priority mode (i.e., I should have been shooting in manual at a faster shutter speed) or the lens being sort of slow and unable to focus quickly? Should I be shooting in "area focus mode" or "single subject focus mode"?

beergod fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 17, 2013

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
What is baseline shutter speed for photographing moderate-speed activity, like dogs rough housing?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Do you shoot in shutter priority mode?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

Eegah posted:

I almost never shoot shutter priority -- I just shoot wide open unless I have a good reason not to or I'm using the 35/1.8. The grass at my dog park is pretty drat ugly so the less attention I can draw to it the better :)

I just use Auto ISO to keep 1/1000s minimum, which is why you'll see all kind of weird ISO figures in the EXIF.

What do you shoot when you use the 35 f1.8? I've read there's a sweet spot for all lenses that is usually a few stops down from wide open.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

The answer to this, like most questions, is the Tamron 17-50 2.8.

Is the VR worth an extra $150? Is it a significant upgrade over a Nikon kit? I'm trying to decide if I want the Tamron or a Nikon 10-24.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
I'm in Tacoma on business and I was thinking about shooting the American Museum of Cars tomorrow. I don't even like cars, particularly, but I thought it might be fun to shoot.

Basics on shooting cars without coming away with only touristy shots? Is there a sort of art to it such that I can pick up a few quick tips before I go to create better photographs?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Does anyone recommend online photography courses and if so, which ones? I've read "Understanding Exposure" and sort of looking for support to get better as I take more photographs.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
I bought the iBook version of UE and I was very happy with it. I think it is the Kindle version that is hosed up.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
There's an eyelash in my viewfinder. It doesn't show up in photographs. Should I be concerned and how would I go about removing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Like remove the lens and blow the air into the camera?

• Locked thread