Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

fknlo posted:

So imagine my surprise when I open up my new camera box, and instead of the 18-55mm lens I'm expecting it has the 18-135mm lens. Thanks Best Buy! Time to learn how to use this thing.

Sell it, buy the 18-55, it's a better lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Question Mark Mound posted:

That camera sim in the OP is so much fun, I'm getting no work done just messing around with it!

Anyway, I'm going to have reason to look into a decent camera in the near future (a big holiday that I've been planning for about a decade plus some event/portrait photography next year) so I think it's time to take a step up from iPhone 5 + Snapseed to a real camera.

I have a bad habit of jumping in and out of hobbies very quickly so I want to start on something on a real budget and I've seen a few websites suggesting the Canon EOS 1100D as a good starter camera. Video recording is only 720p but some sample videos I've seen online look damned pretty.
http://www.dabs.com/products/canon-eos-1100d-digital-slr---ef-s-18-55mm-dc-iii-lens---black-8CJ4.html?src=2

Can anyone vouch for this as a good camera for someone to get a taste for using a DSLR? Ideally I wanna start off under £300 (including lens) then invest a little more if I catch the bug for photography.

Most of the event photography I'll be doing will be under pretty good lighting (I can't remember if it's florescent lighting indoors, I'll assume it is) or on pretty cloudy days outside, since a sunny day in Ireland is pretty rare. It would be nice if it could manage indoor concert lightning too but that's much less important.

No. The canon 1xxx series are not good choices. The T2i/3i/4i are good choices. That's the 600D/650D. Buy used/refurb.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Cool stuff, I'll keep an eye out for those. What makes the 1xxx series worth avoiding?

They're deliberately underpowered by Canon. Lesser autofocus, sensor, controls, and construction. The T2i is a good compromise.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

I have to admit, Canon's numbering system is confusing the hell out of me. The T2i is also the 550D, but the 550D and 600D are better than the 1100D despite having a smaller number. I'm so used to the simplicity of "bigger numbers mean higher up in the range" for so many devices.

I'm guessing £300 is a bit optimistic for something with a lens (even if it is just a kit lens, it'll get me going!) that'll last me. Gonna have to think about how much over budget I can go unless I find a good deal online somewhere.
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Canon_EOS_Rebel_T2i

Have you looked used? KEH, adorama and b& h (plus amazon) will have used options.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Quick question about SD cards, does it particularly matter what kind I use in a camera? I picked up a nikon D7000 recently and my slightly wacko dad said I should go out and get some $60 high speed cards while I went ahead and got some $10 ones from amazon.

Yes and no. No impact on most shots, but low transfer rates impact video and high speed shooting, as the buffer can't clear fast enough. High speed is worth it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

kopasetic posted:

Hey goons, I need your advice. I'm looking to buy my first DSLR for mostly wildlife and other outdoor photography. My budget is around $800-900 for a body and 2-3 lenses. I'd like to buy used as much as possible to squeeze the most out of my budget. From what I can tell, the Pentax K-5 and the Nikon D7000 seem to be the best bodies I can find for $500-600. Which system should I go with?

In either case, I'd like to get at least one prime and one zoom lens. So far, I'm looking at a 50 mm f/1.8 lens ($180 for Pentax, $210 for Nikon) and a 50-200 mm f/4-5.6 lens ($80 for Pentax, $120 for Nikon). I was thinking of skipping the 18-55 mm kit lens. Is there any reason to buy one? Am I fine with the 50 mm lens or should I go for a 35 mm as my first prime lens?

My heart isn't set on either body or lens combination so if you have any suggestions outside of what I've listed, I'd love to hear it.

KEH has some great black Friday stuff thru the weekend.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Musket posted:

I am in no way limited by JPG with my files. I used to shoot nothing but NEF files cuz lets face it, Nikon knows dick about JPG files. I shot RAF for a few weeks with my Fuji, Found that I dont need to shoot RAW, the JPG nails it. As for more detailed heavyhanded editing, I have had not one problem using jpg. If i really needed to have a raw file these days, I use slidefilm :smugdog:

JPG is very dependent on your camera maker. Most do not produce a very good one. You dont see people raving about Nikon or Canons jpgs. Shut up and take pictures.

Yes, your camera does well at jpegs, so what? The point isn't that the basic jpeg in camera is good enough, but it is inherently limiting. If you take snapshots or journalistic type shots, that's fine, but your camera can't, not ever, make selections, sharpen some, blur others, bring up the shadows and dial back the highlights. And, you can't edit jpegs well to do those things, either. Raw is simply more flexible, it has all the data, not all the data your camera's small processor thinks is important, which is less than half the data.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

SoundMonkey posted:

I shoot JPEG almost 100% of the time, including paid shoots. I might switch up to RAW if I know something's going to be a huge pain in the rear end later, but most of the time it ain't worth it (for me). I can push/pull JPEGs nearly a stop before it looks like poo poo, and if I have to do more than that, it means I'm an idiot who should have switched to RAW for those shots / should have checked his WB / should have looked at the image on the LCD / etc.

So basically shoot whatever works best for what you're doing. Indeed, Fuji does JPEG really well, but I also never recall saying, at any point in my life, "Nikon's JPEG engine ruined this picture."

Sure, there are reasons to shoot jpeg, and they're not unworkable. But to say, "I'm in no way limited by jpeg," as he did, is simply a factually incorrect thing to say. Jpeg is much more limited, in every way.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

SoundMonkey posted:

I should qualify that statement I guess. I am in no way limited by JPEG when shooting the type of photos I usually shoot. Primarily it's a convenience thing (card/disk space, etc), but even if I shot raw all the time my cold storage bill would only be a couple bucks more a month.

RAW vs. JPEG chat is probably the most tedious thing ever other than brand warrior-ing, but to the person who originally asked the question, go shoot in some challenging conditions and see what benefit there is for you, then decide how many cares you have.

Yes. JPEG is great, and getting better. Musket is completely right to be happy with them, and I don't actually advise raw versus jpeg as an absolute position. Most of my shots involve little adjusting that make raw better. This forum is good about not being too crazy about that fight, which is why musket's absolutist position rubbed me wrong.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Musket posted:

RAW: Cuz i got it wrong the first time :snoop:

MUSKET: Wrong the first, last and every time.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

I just switch to AI Servo and then hold the back button down.

This. If you're shooting fast moving subjects, you don't want single shot focus, and AI servo with your thumb is still better than combining it with the shutter.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dren posted:

I tried using the back button for focus today and I didn't like it much mostly because
A) now there is some extra poo poo I have to tell people who use my camera
B) the button is kind of in an uncomfortable spot
C) I am really used to half press for focus and I could count on one hand the amount of times i found the camera refocusing when i hit the shutter to be undesirable

If I ever get a battery grip maybe I'll revisit using the button for focus

A, when you hand your camera to someone else, put it on auto anyway.
B, what camera?
C, try it for longer. Once it becomes natural, you'll wonder why you haven't always done it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dren posted:

I read this guy's thing one time about all the different focus modes of the D7000, what each one was especially good at, and how he'd developed a little game to practice using each one so he'd be great at choosing the right AF for the right situation every time like some kind of AF ninja. I played with my AF modes a little more after reading that but what I found was that full auto AF does the right thing almost every time. So I only go in and override it in specific situations when it isn't correct.

Anyway this back button thing seems a lot like the AF ninja thing. Sometimes it would be useful and it's nice that the option is there but most of the time I can let the camera do AF on shutter press because it works pretty well. I really don't like where the button is for my hand and there are other options for situations where I want to focus once then keep that focus such as flipping the lens or body to manual focus.

None of it matters. Back button has more versatility, but if it's awkward, it's not worth it. It's unlikely to make enough difference to overcome the physical discomfort it causes you.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Eugene Oregon posted:

So I've been toying with the back-button focus on my T5i, and I don't think I'm doing it right. If I try to focus on something and press the button, it comes into focus...eventually. But no where near the speed things come into focus when I press the shutter button halfway down. What am I doing wrong?

Not holding the button long enough? It engages the same mechanism so it's not going to be any longer. But, it won't fire the shutter if not locked when on the shutter button. Probably just psychological.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Modus Man posted:

My first DSLR!

Pentax K-5iis Body for $546.95

Comes with a SanDisk 64gb SDXC Ultra and a Pentax D-BG4 Battery Grip for free.

Then I grabbed a Pentax smc DA 50mm f/1.8 Lens for $116.95

Did I do alright? It was a rather impulse buy but I feel like I got a good deal, now I will look for a 18-135 Weather Resistant on KEH.

I have never used anything other than point and shoot cameras before so this should be fun!

Good job. Start shooting. Don't buy "protective" filters. Read Understanding Exposure. Don't use watermarks. Don't talk about fight club.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

moana posted:

Awesome! Okay, I bought the Nikon D3200 and the lens thing I linked, and a 32GB Sandisk Ultra off Amazon. The camera came with a battery and charger, and the lens came with a case, caps, and hood. Are there any other accessories he'll need right off the bat?

Thank you to everyone for helping me out with this! Ooh, I'm so excited now :toot:

Get him a copy of Understanding Exposure as part of the package. Really valuable starter info for budding photographers.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

INTJ Mastermind posted:

What exactly does Canon mean when they say the 24-105L requires a front filter to complete its weather sealing? Common sense says something is either sealed from the elements or not sealed. If there's one area where water or dust can get in then the entire weather sealing design is moot.

It's sealed, but for the front element. With a filter on, the front element is also sealed. When in circumstances where you need the seal, you put on the most appropriate filter.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

INTJ Mastermind posted:

But then what prevents Canon from sealing the front element without a filter?

I'd expect either cost or mechanics. It's really not a big deal.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

im gay posted:

Any recommended reading on how to take long exposure shots? Do I need a remote shutter controller and a filter?

Subject? Tripod or sandbag or just a ledge, plus delayed shutter, that's all you HAVE to have.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Unforgiven posted:

I want to buy a camera for my honeymoon trip to Europe this summer. I've read the first few pages of this thread. I have found a Nikon 5200 on Amazon that was made for sell in other countries than the US so it doesn't come with a warranty but it has 2 lenses, a cheap tripod, 2 16g memory cards, 2 batteries, and a carry bag for about $600. Is this a safe purchase? Am I missing the obvious part of the "if it seems too good to be true it probably is" thing?

Give a link. Some of the "two lenses" kits are the kit lens and a "2x" lens, which is not a lens, but an attachment to the lens.

Some of these kits also have the discontinued lenses, which are not necessarily bad, but may not be that good a choice.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Unforgiven posted:

How do the 18-55mm lenses compare to just a 35mm lens? And if I buy the refurb camera, should I buy a spare 35mm lens?

I am honestly having a bit of a hard time understanding the lenses stuff, but I'm working on it. My wife doesn't want a refurb, I think this one is similar/exactly the same as the one from Amazon from Nikon USA.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-cameras/13461/d5200.html

That kit is terrible.

Refurb is a good way to go, and the kit lens plus a 35mm f/1.8 is a great starting setup.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ansel autisms posted:

"Crop factor" doesn't make your lens any longer, or change the way your viewfinder works. Your shots at 200mm are at 200mm.

Well, sort of. The crop factor does change what he sees in the viewfinder, in that he has a different field of view than a full frame camera would have. Looking thru a FF and a crop viewfinder, assuming they were both 100% view, will present very different images. Just as looking thru a 200mm lens on a medium format camera would present yet another view.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ansel autisms posted:

And yet the confusion only begins when you compare your lens to another camera. A 200mm is a 200mm.

Yes, and Canon is guilty of marketing a crop lens as "equivalent to X" accounting for crop factor, which adds to the problem. But, your answer, accurate to a tee, is misleading because of its brevity. My answer can cause confusion, for similar reasons.

Field of view changes depending on the size of the sensor/film. Nothing else changes, but that sole change causes a huge amount of consternation that really neither you nor I are helping because we actually know the difference but are talking past the guy who is asking.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

rio posted:

You are now as good as anyone else here and don't need any help

"As good?"

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

tater_salad posted:

Or reverse selective color where the chair is the only thing that is black and white.

What if the chair IS white? Eh, what about then?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

nmfree posted:

Especially then.

drat. Well played.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
The general rule is to avoid that series. They're deliberately crippled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
When I have this discussion in the Dorkroom, I don't worry too much that people will misunderstand...except in the "My First DSLR" thread.

• Locked thread