Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

I won't pretend to know more than Bob Socko about Sony gear becuase he's one of the big Sony guys(is there more than one Sony user on here?) to listen to around here. But I will say that you probably won't find another lens like the beercan in the Canon camp. They pop up regularly on craigslist for closer to $100(I got one for $85), and really are untouchable for the price. You could realistically pick up a 35mm sony f/1.8, 50mm minolta f/1.7 and 70-210mm Minolta f/4 for ~$400 total, possibly less if you find some good deals on craigslist/dyxum. Those three lenses can cover just about any photo needs you have, and honestly they all take fantastic pictures(I own all three of them).

Another advantage the A57 will have on the Sony is it's burst speed. The A57 will do 12 frames per second(8.4MP) or 10 frames per second at full resolution. It may have been mentioned previously but the reason the Sony can do this is because of it's translucent mirror. That was a major selling point for me as I will be trying to do some sports photography this summer, and if you want 10 fps on a Canon you are looking at their pro-level bodies which are $3,000+ or something.

This may not be something you even care about, but it's a huge advantage that the Sony lineup has over Canon/Nikon, all the way from their entry level bodies to their top of the line bodies. Of course Canon and Nikon have their own advantages over Sony, low light performance being perhaps at the top of the list, but it all comes down to what's more important to you.

I think you will be very happy with either body, image quality differences will be negligible and lord knows you'll be impressed with the performance of either camera compared to any point and shoot you are used to using. Don't underestimate the importance of ergonomics though, hopefully you'll be holding the camera a lot, do you want it to be a comfortable experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread