Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

The king is dead, long live the king.

That's a hell of an OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I don't know how much I 'need' the extra length at the moment, but right now my longest lens maxes at 55mm and I'm finding it really limiting. Most of the time when I buy stuff I try to go top of the line, but the 4L IS is over 1k and the Tamron after the coupon (and an amazon gift card) will cost me ~200 and is arriving tomorrow as opposed to waiting a few months. I went ahead and ordered the Tamron; the sample images from the research I did look fantastic to me, and I've still got a savings account set up that I'm dropping money into for new lenses so if I decide I need that f/4 aperture throughout the whole zoom, I'll be ready for it eventually. That or I can upgrade my kit lens..or pick up a serious flash..or get a sturdier tripod..so many options :3:

Or get the extremely well regarded 70-200/4 and grab a $50 Tamron 1.4x TC later if you decide you super duper need 300 (280)mm. End up with the same aperture, probably comparable image quality.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Headhunter posted:

I finally got round to buying my first tripod today. Holy poo poo I can't believe how much of a difference they make. It should be the law that all first time camera purchasers also get a tripod. Mind. Blown.

While good tripods own for a lot of stuff, this is probably bad newbie advice, unless you find yourself needing to hold the camera perfectly still in the same place a lot.

Although I'd say that after the generally accepted "second purchase" recommendation of "a fast prime lens", "a flash" should probably be next, because in terms of bang for your buck, it's hard to beat having a light (and all of a sudden your kit lens sucks a whole lot less indoors, point flash directly up, go to town).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

alkanphel posted:

It would be a waste of money for most people I know, even those that bought a tripod never use it anymore. I think I'm the only one who actually uses a tripod to shoot (macro) in my entire circle of photographer friends. Most just buy it because they believe (rightfully) that it will make their photos sharper but then they realise it's an added thing to carry around and they didn't want to spend on the lightest carbon fibre ones and it just stays in the storeroom forever after that.

This is also all I use mine for, macro and long-exposure nighttime stuff (even then most of the time I just wedge the camera against something).

Put it this way, I use my tripod so much that I lost the quick release plate for the ballhead and didn't notice for nearly a year.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

jackpot posted:

Either A) spend $30 for whatever walmart's selling (and I highly recommend A when you're just starting out, because I promise, that love you feel in the beginning for your tripod wears off fast), or B) spend the money and buy something strong enough to last you past the equipment you own now.

This was exactly how it was for me. "Oh man, I have a tripod! Now I can... uh..."

Not to say it's not good to have one, but yeah, but a lovely one first to see if you even need one.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

rcman50166 posted:

What are you guys doing that you never use tripods? I use mine when I go past 200mm, when I do macro, when I do self portraits, when I set up my studio, when I shoot at night, when I do panoramas, when I shoot video, and when I make time lapses. There are a million and a half reasons to use them.

Other than video, panoramas, and timelapses, I do all of these things without a tripod (except when using bellows for macro, and even then sometimes not).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

GobiasIndustries posted:

The Tamron 70-300 showed up today (what's up $3.99 next-day shipping from Amazon) and even though I haven't had much of a chance to use it I'm already thrilled with it; the reach is incredible, the build quality is way better than my kit lens/50mm 1.8, and the test photos I took were super sharp. Autofocus is quick and quiet and from what I can tell IS works really well. I've got a 3 day weekend, so..hello garden trips!

Now that I've got a full range of focal lengths covered, I've got the itch for a flash; the 600ex-rt is absolutely overkill for me at the moment; can anyone talk about the 430ex-ii? While I love me some nature photography, I was going through a lot of indoor shots from the holidays and I noticed a good portion were either underexposed or looked like crap with the stock flash on.

It's a bit ghetto but if your ceiling are light-coloured you can bounce your popup flash off the ceiling with a makeup mirror and things will magically look good.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

beergod posted:

I want to take some photographs at night. What are some good places to do that, generally?

The sky.

The woods.

Your neighbour's window.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Cool. I will do some experimenting and see what happens.

This is the correct and/or only way to learn how to use your flash.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

DaveKap posted:

I have a strange issue with Photoshop and perhaps this is the place to post this since I'm getting it with my first DSLR, a Nikon D3200. If not, I'll post elsewhere.

I took photos at a fire spinning jam and wanted to edit this one photo with Photoshop. Here's what a specific part of the photo looks like in Camera Raw with the .NEF version. It also looks like this through Irfanview with the .JPG version of the photo.

The unfortunate part is that when I open up the file inside Photoshop (whether it's the .JPG or from Camera Raw's .NEF) and it looks like this:

So, what the hell is going on here?

Look a bit further up in this thread for the dude who had trouble photographing an LED light - it's probably the same issue. I seem to recall he solved it by changing the camera profile that ACR was using or something like that.

Unless that was in the general questions thread or the Nikon thread in which case holy god I'm useless.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Ectohawk posted:

So, I am wondering what the 18-28mm range of lenses is like. I started out shooting on a 28mm 2.8 prime, and I loved the speed. I am borrowing a Pentax K200D. Then I just got a really cheap 35-80mm lens used off ebay. I like the range, but I am disappointed in the slowness of only being 4-5.6 on the aperture settings. I also am borrowing a 70-200mm lens.

So, I am wondering if I am missing out on the low end of the range. I know it depends on what you are shooting. My 35-80mm lens seems like a great range, but I am disappointed in how slow it is. I don't really want to invest in a slow kit lens, just to be disappointed in it and just to try out the low end of the range. I was wondering what people's opinion of that range was, and if it's worth trying out.

The answer to this, like most questions, is the Tamron 17-50 2.8.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

beergod posted:

Is the VR worth an extra $150? Is it a significant upgrade over a Nikon kit? I'm trying to decide if I want the Tamron or a Nikon 10-24.

I don't know, and yes, in that order.

Also if you find the advice in this thread good, consider changing your vote :v:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Multicoated high-refractive-index optical bees. But still bees.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Is the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro worth getting for my D5100. I have a Nikon 55-200 but want something with more reach that can also focus closer up so I can switch to shooting plants without putting on my 35mm.

Probably, yes.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

torgeaux posted:

Sell it, buy the 18-55 VR, it's a better lens.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Son, if you know someone who'd give me a 17-50 2.8 for an 18-135, by all means let me know. Then get them back on their meds.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

But Canon does have an EF-S 18-200. :confused:

He probably found it to be markedly inferior because Reasons.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

The 18-135 has a faster and pretty much silent autofocus. You can also override the autofocus at any time by moving the focus ring. The downside is that the focus ring isn't mechanically hooked to anything, so it has a sloppy feel to it.

I'm really happy with it now that I know how to turn on back button focusing. I can leave the auto focus on, hit the button on the back to focus, make adjustments manually, then take a shot and the shutter button won't try and refocus.

All in all, I would say that the 18-135 is a little more jack-of-all-trades than the 18-55, having more zoom and the autofocus override.

I'd actually been thinking about getting the 18-135 despite having the 18-55 already. It'd be a snype up from what I currently have, especially with the quiet AF.

One TINY thing to note is that focus-by-wire lenses (the ones with the non mechanically linked focus rings) are a pain in the rear end if you're doing video and are doing manual focus pulls, since the actual focus movement isn't necessarily all that linear or repeatable on focus by wire (especially if you got past one of the 'stops' for near and infinity).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

I don't think there's really a modern lens out there today that is objectively "bad". Maybe not the best for the money, but even the worst modern lens will hold it's own, especially for someone who's just starting out. You really have to start pixel peeping to see the differences.

This is the honest truth.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

FISHMANPET posted:

Gotta get that bokeh

I recently started using my 35/1.8 at 2.8 or 3.5 around the house and I feel pretty dirty for it.

This is the sort of thing you shouldn't think.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Eegah posted:

I didn't shell out no two hundred dollars to set my 35 at no f/3.5 :colbert:

Instead I spent it to get exacting sharpness on Taters nose while his eyes stay just a tad soft. God drat it.

To hell with face detection, I'd pay good money for "eye nearest the camera" detection.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Eegah posted:

This is why you just always use Live View.

This is a Wrong Opinion.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

jackpot posted:

I'm selling something in SA Mart that might be appropriate as a first DSLR, but I don't wanna link it in this thread if that's gonna be a problem. Anybody got a problem?

If you link it anywhere in Dorkroom it has to comply with the buy/sell thread rules ideally.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

CarrotFlowers posted:

Take photos if you want, if you get asked to put your camera away, be polite and do so. Done.

Seriously.

If someone busts out their DSLR at McDonalds to take photos documenting just how unusually halfassed their burger looks, that's probably pretty funny.

If someone busts out said DSLR at an actual good restaurant (the Olive Garden is not "good"), I'd probably think they were a gigantic tool who should just put their giant camera away and enjoy their meal, and also wonder why the gently caress they brought their camera to dinner.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

Do they have goodwill stores in Canada?

Maybe canadian ebay?

Also known as 'eBay'.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Musket posted:

Your local camera place should be able take care of a CLA for your K10. Pentax might do it too. Joke response: Mail it to MrDespair.

Get them to check the brake discs too, the K10 is pretty hard on them things.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

FISHMANPET posted:

So I think this is a begginner question, but I can go somewhere else if it's not...

I'm looking to take some risque pictures of my wife, and I'm not sure where to start.

I have horrid memories of doing this back in college with some $100 P&S with the flash on, so I get nervous thinking about how I'd do it now. I've got a D5100 with a 35/1.8 and 50/1.8, so I think I'm settled in that department. The only thing I'm not sure about is lighting. I'm thinking I'm going to need something like an SB-700 that I can bounce off the ceiling, since I don't want anything too harsh, right?

Ceiling bounce is awesome and yes an SB700 would be perfect for this, but if your ceilings aren't laffo high and aren't painted black and you can kick up the ISO a bit, find a makeup mirror and tape it in front of the popup flash at 45 degrees and bounce that. Sometimes it works.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

BobTheDestroyer posted:

Is the convenience of having one lens vs slightly lower quality shots/barrel distortion worth it?

No.

If it was worth it, every photojournalist would have that lens and nothing else.

But they don't.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

jackpot posted:

I think we're a few hours away from a FISHMANPET thread asking "Help me critique these risque pictures of my wife."

No, no we're not.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

FISHMANPET posted:

Ugh, my battery wasn't charging for my Nikon and I popped into the local camera shop so I could see if it was the charger or the battery.

$75 dollars later and now I have a brand new 3 ounce piece of plastic to charge my battery.

You do know chargers cost like $15 from GadgetInfinity, right?

Or was this essential for the ~risque~ shoot.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Ethanfr0me posted:

I'm looking at a Pentax K-II as my first dslr. I have some nice old manual Pentax lenses and I like the compatibility feature, along with the weather sealing. Does anyone have a K-II or have an opinion on it?

Might wanna pole your head into the Pentax thread. Assuming it hasn't gone to archives :v:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ExecuDork posted:

* There are some lenses that are marked or claimed by sellers to be K-mount but have a problem when mounted on autofocus cameras (including all Pentax DSLRs). But if it says "PENTAX" on the lens, it will fit on a Pentax DSLR. We can get into a discussion about this in the Pentax thread (of course it's not in archives! Canikoneers have such short attention spans).

The last time I posted in that thread was to bump it back to page 1 because it was literally two days from archives :v:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

AmericanGeeksta posted:

Whatre your guys feelings on buying off eBay? I came across what appears to be a pretty slick deal for a Canon 60D and accessories. I realize that whats included are probably kit-quality lenses, but it still seems good to me. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Canon-E...27cfc8966a#shId

For comparison, a Canon 60D at my local shop is 999.00 with a kit 18-135mm lense.

Be reeeeeal careful of "Brooklyn" sellers who end up just trying to upsell you on dumb poo poo until you cancel your order. There's quite a few.

Alo with those cards thrown in for free I'd expect them to be counterfeit. Maybe not, but all the "bundle" deals seem vaguely suspect.

The 'accessories' (tripod, etc) will of course all be total bullshit.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Doing that upsell/cancel bait and switch bullshit as an eBay seller will get you powerfucked by eBay. The accessories are agreed to be pretty much complete poo poo, yes.

Tell me more about getting 'powerfucked'.

But yes, aside from camera body and lenses, assume that everything else will be either counterfeit or total bullshit.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Dren posted:

Golden hour is basically photography cheat codes. Vegas strip looks really nice at golden hour.

Except for the fact that when you're trying to set up a specific shot, "golden hour" is more often "golden three and a half minutes".

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

xcore posted:

Just got notification that my first ever DSLR has been delivered.

Canon 7D, Nifty 50 and Canon 15-85mm.

Both excited as all hell and daunted by the amount of practice, reading and fundamentals that I am going to have to learn. Can't wait though!

That sounds like a ballin' kit to start out with.

...just don't drop the 50mm.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Platystemon posted:

If you shake it too hard, you’ll kill the bees that power the autofocus.

If you drop it, the bees will escape.

This is God's honest truth.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

mclifford82 posted:

They mount that way, the caps screw on and off that way, the zoom works that way. It's completely opposite to what anyone opening things in the US (dunno about other country's standards) has grown accustomed to.

I guess this is true but I never really associated it with tightening or loosening things, just "this is how you mount a lens on a Nikon". It was only weird for about a day coming from a system that mounts the other way.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ExecuDork posted:

I didn't specify, so yes, RED certainly counts. Thanks for pointing them out, they seem like an interesting company at the moment.

"Seeming like an interesting company" is historically their main focus.

(Also their cameras are good but hot drat are their forums even worse than POTN with gear sigs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

This but unironically. And that fact is deeply sad.

• Locked thread