Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mes
Apr 28, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

I don't think there's really a modern lens out there today that is objectively "bad". Maybe not the best for the money, but even the worst modern lens will hold it's own, especially for someone who's just starting out. You really have to start pixel peeping to see the differences.

It's my impression that when you're spending the :20bux: for more expensive lenses where you're mostly getting the performance at the fringe use cases, like at the corners at the widest apertures, or extreme contrast of subjects or even for zoom at the widest or longest ends of the length. That's not to say there aren't other improvements in general though.

Set the lens to f/8 and go hog wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So what is the consensus of RAW versus Jpeg?

The biggest difference between RAW and jpg is that the camera itself converts the raw file into a jpg using the selected camera settings, if you notice in your camera there's a few settings for saturation, sharpening, etc. The raw files come out of camera unprocessed where you have to post-process the images typically. If you try shooting raw + jpg and compare the two files, you'll probably notice that the jpg file looks a bit more punchy and sharper then the raw, depending on what was set in camera of course.

That being said, if you like the results that you're getting from your jpg, then go on and keep shooting jpg; some people on this forum like the results that they get from the raw image processor in the Fuji X series cameras better than how they can post-process their files for example. Raw gives you more information to work with and ultimately more control on the final image granted that you're willing to spend sometime post-processing the file.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Just out of curiosity, how is the quality control with Yongnuo these days? I still have an original 560 that works well, but a few years ago people were having units randomly crap out on them and trying to get them replaced with a warranty was a pain.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Which airline's 787 is this? I dig it. :toot:

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Bubbacub posted:

Gotta be a 747 engine test aircraft, the 787 doesn't have that many feet!

Didn't realized that the 747 also had the fins on the nacelle, I thought that was exclusive to the 787. :downs:

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Other than the Df, not really. If you can deal with an EVF, there are mirrorless options like the Fuji Xt1 or the Olympus OM-D which are similar in style and operation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Maybe check out a mirrorless camera with an integrated EVF like the Olympus OMD or the Fujifilm XT10. They both have a good balance between features and camera size since that's important to you.

• Locked thread