Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I do remember seeing that menu option but didn't realise it pushed it to a dial. Might not work with my setup because I use Easy ISO (primarily to put the ISO in my viewfinder, but having it on the opposite dial when in A Priority or S Priority is neat).

I want a camera with more dials than I have fingers. I don't think I could go back to a single one anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The accessories are all going to be garbage tier looking at it. The 18-55mm lens sounds like it's the version 1 of that model and it's fine, but not quite as good as the v2.

quote:

52mm 2X Professional Telephoto Lens - High Definition 52mm Wide Angle Lens

No idea what the hell that'd supposed to be. Is 52mm the filter thread size rather than the focal distance? 2x means nothing out of context. It's gonna be poo poo regardless.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The 35mm is fine. It's cheap and cheerful and gives you a stop or two extra speed for low light, but I personally prefer the 50mm 1.8 on crop as it makes a nice little short portrait lens. It all depends on where on the focal length you find you take your photos.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's a product that's past its production date though. It's like complaining Apple don't have current stock of an iPhone 5S to purchase. The D5500 is the current model which should be easier to get ahold of.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's a big difference between returb and a manufacturer refurb. If it's the latter, it's just free money off essentially.

Maybe your wife read that one dorkroom post that said a bunch of pentax's going around were used in golden shower scenes. That was a beautiful troll.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just legit ones.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Shadow recovery is super awesome, especially if you're shooting outdoors with bright skies. I just keep my eye on the histogram and know I can recover anything that isn't pitch black. And even then I probably could too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rather a noisy picture than a blurry picture.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Im on a phone too and can't see anything but regular noise, but it sounds like you're either dealing with hot or stuck pixels. Some info: https://photographylife.com/dead-vs-stuck-vs-hot-pixels

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm pretty sure that rokinen is well liked by Astro photography people. However, it is one of those photography styles where the best results are from throwing ridiculous amounts of money at it, and if it's something he's super serious about then renting a full frame body would pay off over taking his d5500.

Essentially you want the best high ISO performance, combined with the widest field of view you can get on the fastest aperture with good glass that's as free from coma and other artifacting as possible. Doesn't come cheap. Not to say you can't get good results from a DX camera, but it's all about what expectations he has really.

Also get a copy of Photo Pills if he has an iPhone because that's a great use of $10.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Maybe a second hand or refurbished D7100 would do him good in that scenario. The current model has a far better buffer, as the main flaw in the D7100 was running out of continuous burst that sports/wildlife people like, but if he doesn't shoot that kind of stuff then a D7100 would be a big step up.

It's worth remembering that even though his current body is 10 years+ old, the lower end bodies available now might still be missing features he's used to.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think the D70 probably gives similar low light performance as my D50, which was max ISO of 1600 and only really usable up to 800. The D7100 sensor I take up to 6400 without too many headaches. Noise is always inherent and you lose dynamic range, but you can definitely push them a lot harder, which is impressive given how large the images coming out of the camera are.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lexar or Sandisk, both available easily enough just make sure you get from a reputable dealer because of course there's fakes out there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And it's always important to remember that if the card only lists one speed on the sticker, that's the read speed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I prefer it to 35mm on 1.5x crop personally. Puts it right at the bottom of the portrait range, with plenty of speed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

One easy tip to instantly improving your photos by a few degrees is to turn on the little marker in your viewfinder that tells you whether your Horizon is straight or not. Check it before taking every photo.

Swapping lenses means you'll eventually pick up dust particles on the sensor, so if you start seeing speckles on your images you might want to learn how to clean that yourself. Dust on the far end of your lens is unlikely to ever show up on images, so don't worry too much about constantly cleaning that end.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You seem to be talking about the various overlays that put straight lines in the viewfinder, not the horizon indicator.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How mean of them. It feels like sometimes they keep the simplest of things for the higher end models.

You can fix it easily enough in post using Lightroom and similar at least, you just lose a bit of resolution due to rotation.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jesus Christ. Look at his example photos and you can see there's several there where you can see the damned Horizon in them which isn't straight. An on camera tool would've fixed that, or do you think they're included for a joke and that people spend the time aligning their cameras for the sheer gently caress of it? At the very least it'll put you in a good starting place.

Last I checked I don't come from the US and we didn't complain about our entire world being crooked either.

There's a good reason your attitude has gotten you run out of other threads in this forum.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, Lightroom's cataloging is good and useful. Seems an odd thing to rage against.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have girl sized hands and crop sensor bodies fit me fine, but it might be worth spoiling the surprise and have her try a few models out for size and see what suits her best.

The other thing is to make sure she actually wants to shoot a dslr. Does she shoot everything on auto or scene modes, or does she genuinely want more control over the results. It's one of those jumps that's less 'getting better pictures by default' (although it is true to a degree) and more 'learning how different shutters and apertures affect the result and knowing which lens is right for each situation'. That step isn't always right for everyone.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

tater_salad posted:

I have the amazon basics camera bag and like it. It fits my camera two lenses my cleaning supplies, charger, USB cable and still had room for more stuff.

Yeah I have the backpack version and it's been surprisingly good. Got an overage baggage fee of $100 skipped on a flight because the lady at the desk saw I only had the small backpack on otherwise. It was easily holding 5x the weight limit I should've been taken too - good and discrete!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rakuten bought out Play.com in the UK who used to be great, and so they are 'legit' in the fact they're a real company. They sound like an absolute pain in the rear end to deal with from what I've seen on a quick google and claim to be 'middle men' so yeah... sounds like worth avoiding. There are so many scams and shady deals in photography, if the price isn't somewhat close to what you see on Adorama or B&H without a good reason, then be suspicious.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Does the D3400 have bracketing? Because as a D3300 that's my biggest complaint-- it's frankly pathetic that my 13-year old D70 has software features that the D3300/D3400 don't have.

They're always going to stagger features out between the various models in the range, or people wouldn't buy the more expensive ones. Stripping the 2nd SD slot out of the D7300 recently is worse as the model it replaces had it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like to shoot controllable things in Manual with Auto ISO and exposure compensation. Apparently that doesn't work on some Canon models but on Nikons it should for all models. Anything that needs shutter speeds faster than my set minimums I use S priority. Don't tend to use A priority so much as I can handle that in M easily enough.

This is on a D7200 mind where I have the two command dials, which makes things much easier imo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you want a guide on where to be to take your shot, look up PhotoPills for iPhone (and I think Android too, now?). The latest video on their YouTube channel is specifically about the eclipse as they've built in new functionality to the app especially for it so give that a watch. It's a great app regardless for planning, as well as having useful things like DoF tables etc. It's about $10 or so, but worth it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

These reasons are why when people love to jump to recommending FF glass to people with crop body sensors annoys the crap out of me. 'Get something that'll still work when/if you go FF!' sounds good, but then you probably get a ton of people thinking they need to go FF because the lenses they have purchased aren't so ideal for their camera.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, yeah. It also helps when buying lenses to do whatever you can to reduce your loss on resale. The only lens I ever bought new was my Sigma 18-35 because I saved something like $250 by utilizing 2 sets of Black Friday sales. I could probably sell it for the price I paid.

If I 'future proofed' I'd probably be bugged enough losing the wide angle on each lens, which would've also cost more money, that I'd probably end up going FF because it felt right. That's a lot of money to dump into a hobby.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If it lives up to the specs, it'll be incredible. It's a good thing there's nothing in this world that could convince me that a $3,000 body is a good thing for me to purchase, but I can't wait to see how others get on with it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just do all file management within Lightroom itself and you’ll be fine. Don’t be tempted to start moving folders around in Explorer/Finder.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you own a trademark, you have to show you will defend its use by other parties. It’s a silly document (I’m presuming it’s the same one that’s been going around for years), but it’s proof they don’t want to be seen backing it becoming a generic term like ‘xerox’ did for photocopy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah get her the 2nd version of that lens. Cheap as chips, slightly better than the 1st edition, has a good zoom range, has VR, is surprisingly sharp and is all in all a pretty great lens. I still have mine too despite owning better glass as it’s no worth selling - but plenty of people do.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love 50mm on a crop, it makes a nice short portrait lens. Not ideal for everything, but what lens is?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Given the shutter speeds generally needed for wildlife, I’m presuming the stabilization elements is mainly for helping freeze the viewfinder, as opposed to effecting the photo itself (naturally if you can’t see what’s going on in the vf the photo will probably suck, but still).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I rented a 200-500mm lens when I went to Alaska, and even on a crop body at full tele I was surprised how small most things would resolve to. Someone posted their Alaska pics in another thread and they were another world compared to what I got.

I’m also still pissed the day with an insane amount of eagles on display was wet, and so I only packed the 18-35mm sigma.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Prime lenses are also less complicated so often cheaper as well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Exactly, and the fact that the D3xxx, 5xxx, and 7xxx all use the same sensor hardware as each other means it's going to be things like bracketing that get dropped.

Sometimes you get lucky, like in the case of my only MiniDisc player, where you can add in the dropped software features via firmware or unlocking it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cheap, fast, and has the same rough view point as your eyes. It’s a good lens. I personally prefer the 50mm/1.8 and I replaced my 35mm with the Sigma 18-35mm as I like the extra wide angle that gives me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Always take the shower caps from hotel stays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love 50mm on a crop body, it makes a really nice, fast short portrait lens. I had both the 35mm and the 50mm primes for my Nikon before I replaced the 35mm with an 18-35mm f/1.8, and the 50mm with a 50-150mm. I found the 35mm to be the top end of what I wanted in a wide angle shot (which makes sense as it's essentially a 'normal' lens on crop), and the 50mm fits nicely at the lower end of the portrait range for me. Having the 18-135mm will give you a good sense of where you like shooting, then get a higher quality lens down the line that matches that (or exceeds that if 135mm is coming up short).

• Locked thread