Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
This might be a long post, so I apologize in advance but I doubt I should make my own thread.

I want to get into photography as a side job, eventually a full-time gig doing the gamut: weddings, senior portraits, couples, events, the works. My current job I am a staff writer for several Midwestern newspapers. We have a skeleton crew, so I am often one of the lead photographers as well for city festivals and always responsible for my own art for my stories.

In college, when I worked at the student newspaper, I took my student loans and bough a Nikon D40. Ten bucks a photo in the paper paid it back pretty quick, and that was my first inclination that I really, really enjoyed photography. I stuck with writing primarily.

Then I graduated and got my job here, where I've been writing and shooting for the past year and a half. My current camera is a Canon EOS 5D MK I, with a Sigma 24-70 as my standard though I have access to a Sigma 70-300 telephoto but I rarely need it for up close stuff.

I know my photography is decent. Decent enough for the newspaper and get compliments from my coworkers but I know I'm not that good at it. I only, the last few months, from reading these threads and talking with a lot of other photographers who do what I want to do, realized I'm still at square one in the knowledge department.

My photog friends have basically told me I know how I want the photo to look, but not how to achieve it, etc. I know they are right.

My current plan is I'm saving for a 7D, which my friend has and I get to test it out this weekend first, but buying the sucker is a way's off (freshly divorced reporters don't have alotta cash :smith:)

I bought the handy guidebooks in the OP, hope they're still relevant, can't wait to read them when they get to my mailbox. I'm buddying up with a couple photographers in my area who said they'd love to have me as a second string. Unpaid, but it would give me a chance to flex and learn without worrying I hosed up a wedding or something.

So I'm asking, what else can I do beyond taking classes and the like? Am I going about it the wrong way or should I stop while I'm ahead and concentrate on something else?

Here's my Flickr, so criticize away. Remember, I'm basically self-taught from the moment they shoved a camera in my hands when I got the job: http://www.flickr.com/photos/94568078@N05/

Again, sorry sorry if this should be posted elsewhere, I figure this is the most general thread for it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Chitin posted:

Talk to the person in charge of that 5D - you might be surprised by how willing they are to let you take it home to practice. And by "practice" I mean whatever you'd be doing with your 7D. Just keep your own cards etc. After all, the better you are with it the better it is for them; talk to the right person and maybe they'll even send you to a few weekend classes. If you're already taking photos, it's a very low-cost, win-win proposition for them - they get improved content for next to nothing in corporate dollars. You just need to sell it in the right way to the right manager.

Also, remember that you can write all of this off your taxes.

I asked about classes before, it's a no go. I had to fight tooth and nail just to expense report my new camera bag. It's a low-budget game we have here.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Chitin posted:

Yikes. And I thought my company was stingy.

Well, at least ask if you can take the camera home to practice on. That's free for them.

You'd think it'd be better with Warren Buffett owning my paper but nooooo.

E:Hell, the plastic casing around my last lens cracked from wear and tear and my editor looked at me like I just stabbed his son. I'm surprised they didn't make me pay for it!

crime fighting hog fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 30, 2013

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Sure, I'll pick some I'm proud of and some I'm not so happy about in that thread, I've been meaning to.

Post processing is handled by my photo editor. We use Photoshop 4 for everything. Something that others have told me is weird is that we don't shoot in RAW, but large, due to our capacities in our archives and something about how our printers for the paper don't need that much detail anyways.

I'm taking photos of some friends Saturday and plan to shoot in RAW for the first time and edit them myself.

Funny enough those first two photos were when I just started shooting a lot more often so I was really flying by the seat of my pants in those situations. Gyms are the worst!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Especially since we have to edit the photos and send them onto the server downtown to be added to the system, which already gets overloaded with our page layout pdfs and such.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

timeandtide posted:

How much of an upgrade would this be compared to my Canon Rebel kit lens?

http://frederick.craigslist.org/pho/3841943418.html

Man, I really wouldn't trust craigslist for anything camera related. It just seems too easy to get ripped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I suspect he was speaking more to gear that has something wrong with it, but may not be immediately obvious when you try it before you buy it. A CL seller has no obligation to deal with you once the sale is made. There's no feedback or warranty or anything so there's nothing you can do.

Yup, exactly. I was burned before on Craigslist buying a washer and dryer. Washer worked great, the dryer shat out on us two weeks later. Buyer beware, etc.

• Locked thread