Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys. Not sure whether to ask this in the Canon thread, the Lens one or this here noobie one, but here here goes. Basically, I want to get into photography. I'm a complete beginner to the world of semi-pro photography but it interests the hell out of me so I am going to take the plunge.

I think I have made up my mind on a Canon 7D as it seems to be a good all rounder that I'm not going to grow out of any time soon. It also seems to be around my price point (Although camera prices in Australia are hosed and it varies anywhere from $960 (grey import obviously) to $2200 (gently caress that)).

Initially I will be using the camera for baby/dog photos and travel photos. Eventually I want to move into things like landscapes, street photography and panoramas.

I'm obviously not very well versed with what makes a good lens or which lens' are suitable for which situation but I'm wondering what I should be starting with. I was all set on getting one of the fixed 50ml lenses that all the threads recommend but then the OP throws a spanner in the works with a giant asterisk about crop factors. I'll use the below as examples. Should I be considering buying any of the below bundles or should I be sourcing the lens' elsewhere individually? If so, I'm guessing I will want at least a couple of lenses, so which ones should I be starting out with.

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/category577_1.htm
http://www.teds.com.au/canon-eos-7d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Just got notification that my first ever DSLR has been delivered.

Canon 7D, Nifty 50 and Canon 15-85mm.

Both excited as all hell and daunted by the amount of practice, reading and fundamentals that I am going to have to learn. Can't wait though!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Question Mark Mound posted:

Nothing on Gumtree at the moment in my area unfortunately.

Woah, Gumtree exists in the UK?

Edit: Welp, turns out Gumtree started in the UK, I always thought it was Australian (you know, "Gumtree").

Double Edit: And it's owned by Ebay? Wow.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

I'd already known about the magic triangle from Understanding Exposure, but there was some artistic stuff he taught as well. Like how fast shutter speed freezes motion, slow shutter speed captures motion (with the classic example of a waterfall, but also a ferris wheel and a few other things).

I'm not trying to poo poo your lessons cause it actually sounds really cool, but after covering the magic triangle, Understanding Exposure then goes into capturing motion and even uses the waterfall and ferris wheel as examples.

• Locked thread