Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

SineRider posted:

I'm trying to check out your soundcloud track but it doesn't seem to load no matter what I do. I'll leave some feedback when I get it to work

I'm loving this, but the pan in the beginning really isn't doing it for me. There's a band called "Young Tongue" from Japan that this really reminds me of, except there's also a dash of Múm (I guess I'm also seeing Icelandic stylings in this). I'd really love some soft female vocals in the track, since I feel the alternative is more whiny male vocals, but you may have something in mind.

I really really like it, but lay off the pan a tiny bit. :)

For something completely different from me and since I loving love sketches:

https://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/shakyamuni-extra-x0x

I got inspired by some 808-heavy rap beats and thought "Hey, I could put acid over this" and I guess maybe I was right? Right now the 303 background riff is phoscyon, a VST, where the overtone one is a x0xb0x. Because of this, there's some hardware sync issues between Ableton and the outboard stuff, since the 707 controlling everything by DIN Sync has a poo poo clock and the VST is coming on a half beat faster than the rest. If I had two x0xb0xes it'd sound far better, but gently caress that so hard since I'm not spending 500 bucks to make one track. :colbert:

Tell me how the kick is coming through, I was doing my best to emulate an 808. Also, I'm aware the vocals are loving weak, only so far a macbook microphone and Audacity can get you. A friend is going to work with a monk he knows on getting some mantra samples. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

slardel posted:

I'm really enjoying this. I thought the violins were horns at first and was getting a cool Sigur Ros vibe from it. The whole thing evolves really well and the dynamics are great. Sorry but I can't think of anything but positive things to say about it!

Here's the start of something new from me, it hasn't really evolved beyond a simple loop yet, just kind of the beginning of an idea that hasn't quite taken off yet. http://soundcloud.com/mathbonus/feb12/s-s21bM

edit: pretend it starts at 16 seconds, I neglected to chop off the beginning

Thanks a ton man! Now I kind of wish I played some kind of horn to record over it haha. I just checked out your track and definitely digging the chord progression a lot. I happen to be holding my guitar and started to play some lines along while listening to it. The timbre on that chord sound is real nice.

As for suggestions, I think adding a some kind of melodic line to it would definitely help as obvious as that sounds. But, I'd be careful not to do anything too crazy that might break the mood of the tune. Another suggestion I'm thinking would sound nice is to have a counter section, maybe something in the relative major to give it a nice contrast. In this section you could possible build up the beat more and add more layers to the sound.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'm loving this, but the pan in the beginning really isn't doing it for me. There's a band called "Young Tongue" from Japan that this really reminds me of, except there's also a dash of Múm (I guess I'm also seeing Icelandic stylings in this). I'd really love some soft female vocals in the track, since I feel the alternative is more whiny male vocals, but you may have something in mind.

I really really like it, but lay off the pan a tiny bit. :)

For something completely different from me and since I loving love sketches:

https://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/shakyamuni-extra-x0x

I used to listen to Múm quite a bit years back so there is a clear influence from them (and sigur ros) in my music. I'm going to give a listen to Young Tongue, always interested in finding new artists! Vocals have always been a weird spot for me. I'm not much of a singer, but it's something I like to add to my music, generally as a background texture. So I'm not really sure where to take this track in terms of vocals.

I also checked out your track and here is a bit of feedback. I listened to the sketch a few times and I have to say the droning nature of it was pretty relaxing in a way. The vocals are a cool addition and if you get an actual monk to do some recordings for it that'd be badass! The The kick comes through the mix quite a bit, almost maybe too much. It really drowns out the rest of the track, other than that, I think it's a nice little sketch that could evolve into a nice acid tune.

A suggestion would to add a wavey analogue sounding lead to it. Like something you'd hear in an AFX track.

Is there any rules about posting follow-ups? If not here is a new version of my track with a pretty large addition to the end. Where the last version ended I sampled my violin recordings and played a few chords. I wanted it to sound really space-y. I then brought back in the rest of the instruments for a sort of ending climax.

Does this end better than the last one?
Is the space-y violin section too long?

Again just wanted to thank everyone for the comments, this track is really shaping up nicely, and a lot of it is due to suggestions from here.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

SineRider posted:

Does this end better than the last one?
Is the space-y violin section too long?

Again just wanted to thank everyone for the comments, this track is really shaping up nicely, and a lot of it is due to suggestions from here.

I really like it, though now you're super into Múm territory (that's a good thing). It's your music, but I'd love to strongly disagree with your comments about vocals as a texture. The track you've made really lends itself to that, I agree, but to the point that it's the obvious solution. I'd try and make them clear and articulated, maybe even go that step further and do what Múm is doing with kind of a childlike sound (you're in a clearly enough different music space that I wouldn't worry about sounding too much alike) or find a vocalist who can really cut through the dreamlike nature of the song. That's what I'd love to see, and that'd be the difference for me at least between writing it off as hipster-drone and putting it on repeat (no offense, I have a thing against background texture vocals because I find they're usually lazy sounding).

As for mine, I'm trying to have the kick cut through a lot, basically I wanted to stack the audio so that I could know in advance nothing would be playing below the drums unless I cut out the kick, I don't really want to make pure acid house (gently caress, I've got a x0xb0x and a 707 it'd be easy enough to do) but want to put kind of a different twist on it, with a bit more of a hip-hop infusion in the beat and psytrance infusion in the effects and sample choices. That said, one of the things that's probably catching you with the kick is that I didn't bother carving out a space for anything and just dropped the volume on stuff, so the kick is still coming through pretty strong on my end too.

I'll try balancing things a bit more. :)

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

CaptainKirkCameron posted:

As for me, I'm trying to pump out a cover of Bowser's Theme from Super Mario 64, and I have what I feel is a decent rhythm track down. Do the fretless bass and transition from 4/4 to 7/4 time sound nice? I'm trying to avoid it sounding overly bitcrushed or metal, which seem to be common themes for the hastily crafted cover versions I hear on SoundCloud.

https://soundcloud.com/audioglot/bowsers-theme-cover-rough

Matter of taste, but I think the synth that comes in at 0:52 and 1:57 sounds a bit harsh compared to the rest of what's going on. Hard to really judge without the rest of the instruments, though. The drums are nice and funky!

YALL posted:

Wouldn't mind some criticism on this. It really needs some more structure, so any thoughts on that would be great since right now it's basically just a big salad of different parts.

https://soundcloud.com/rang_rang/hospital/s-wlXbF

Hip hop/electronic instrumental consisting primarily of found sounds. Should probably get vocals eventually.

This sounds like an Aibo choking on an overly large bong rip, and I mean that in a good way.

Here's a thing I'm messing with right now, trying to decide whether it's a thing or not:

It's kind of an angry revenge-fueled song about loving up someone's life because they cheated on you. It's rough and noisy, but I think maybe that's actually kind of appropriate given the general vibe of the thing.

mofolotopo fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 7, 2013

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

mofolotopo posted:

Here's a thing I'm messing with right now, trying to decide whether it's a thing or not:

I like this. It's a thing, for sure. I think it could actually stand to be even noisier than it is. It could also use some sort of bridge section, with some kind of fuzzy guitar solo or something I reckon. Nice vibe overall, though, and I like the lyrics a lot.

Here's something I put down quickly the other night. Been working out the guitar part on this for a while, and it has just some placeholder drums for now that I made before I really had an idea of the vibe. Going to redo that stuff, and I'm hoping to get some upright bass action on it, but we'll see about that. If not upright, then fretless electric, probably. After this, I'm planning on a little jammy electric section to close it out.

There's this one part that I totally gently caress up, so just ignore that. It's a sketch, give me a break.

https://soundcloud.com/theblackflash/meatplanet/s-NtKyg

CaptainKirkCameron
Jan 15, 2010

mofolotopo posted:

Matter of taste, but I think the synth that comes in at 0:52 and 1:57 sounds a bit harsh compared to the rest of what's going on. Hard to really judge without the rest of the instruments, though. The drums are nice and funky!

I was thinking the same thing- last night it dawned on me that very mildly distorted harpsichord with 1/8 delay sounds a lot better than totally over-the-top phased/noise harpsichord. I'm trying to use good ol' fashioned stomp pedals more than overly polished garageband effects, but maybe I'll save that approach for the double tracked guitar riffage I'm trying to map out.

Also, I for sure liked your Merciless piece, no quips here- maybe do a "Hey Joe" style lead-in as a homage?

haakman
May 5, 2011

slardel posted:

I'm really enjoying this. I thought the violins were horns at first and was getting a cool Sigur Ros vibe from it. The whole thing evolves really well and the dynamics are great. Sorry but I can't think of anything but positive things to say about it!

I'm digging the mechanical vibe and the whole thing is pretty spacially interesting. Sounds like you've got an audio pop going on with your kick sample which can be fixed by raising the attack on the sample or chopping it right at the zero-crossing in the waveform.

Here's the start of something new from me, it hasn't really evolved beyond a simple loop yet, just kind of the beginning of an idea that hasn't quite taken off yet. http://soundcloud.com/mathbonus/feb12/s-s21bM

edit: pretend it starts at 16 seconds, I neglected to chop off the beginning

I like this a lot. It has a real Massive Attack vibe to it. It needs a Cocteau Twin singing on it!

Here's my first (proper) attempt at Electro House https://soundcloud.com/ellywu2/electro-house-first-go - I've attempted to mix it, but my mixing skills and equipment aren't up to scratch (you can tell by the waveform, look at those kicks at the beginning!) The main part kicks off at about a minute. I was, unashamedly, imitating our very own Shreddie Mercury, who I think is ace.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

haakman posted:

Here's my first (proper) attempt at Electro House https://soundcloud.com/ellywu2/electro-house-first-go - I've attempted to mix it, but my mixing skills and equipment aren't up to scratch (you can tell by the waveform, look at those kicks at the beginning!) The main part kicks off at about a minute. I was, unashamedly, imitating our very own Shreddie Mercury, who I think is ace.

It's very grating in the highs, but seeing as this is a "sketch" I don't think that matters much. Sound design is ace, drums need a bit of work still though, it seems to be missing some hihat 16ths or shakers or something.

Here's my latest thing I came up with while trying to dissect the three-part harmony driving Crash Test Dummies' MMM MMM MMM:

The idea behind this is it's a gimmick band called White Boy Dreads, consisting of trustifarians with ugly dreads and a persecution complex, who sing about weed and babylon.

CaptainKirkCameron
Jan 15, 2010

snorch posted:

It's very grating in the highs, but seeing as this is a "sketch" I don't think that matters much. Sound design is ace, drums need a bit of work still though, it seems to be missing some hihat 16ths or shakers or something.

Here's my latest thing I came up with while trying to dissect the three-part harmony driving Crash Test Dummies' MMM MMM MMM:

The idea behind this is it's a gimmick band called White Boy Dreads, consisting of trustifarians with ugly dreads and a persecution complex, who sing about weed and babylon.

This is really out there but intriguing- it almost sounds like a song on the closing credits of a Fraggle Rock spinoff on Adult Swim or something. The backing chorus definitely makes it; please work on it more. Maybe try throwing in a ukelele somewhere?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

snorch posted:

I like this a lot, but I'd love love love love to hear some distortion (and obviously better recording on the vocals, but I think that seems to be an equipment thing and not a stylistic choice?). I think there's a lot of potential, it really reminds me of old demos from bands where they're playing acoustic versions of songs that became big later with electrics.

On a different not, I decided to try making something kind of acidic using hip-hop beats as opposed to, you know, boom tsh boom tsh, which means lets play with a (fake) 808 and a (fake) 303! I'm planning on having my real 303 do some stuff in the higher registers, also I forgot to actually touch the cutoff on the x0xb0x running the bassline, that really adds some dynamics in an interesting way.

Either way, just kind of a starting point.

https://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/the-path-is-not-the-goal

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

snorch posted:

It reminds me of The Shins meets MGMT. I like it a lot.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Sounds cool so far, it got me hyped for the snares to kick in. It's too short! :)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

ashgromnies posted:

Sounds cool so far, it got me hyped for the snares to kick in. It's too short! :)

I really do need to drop a snare (or more likely a snare-clap mashup).

https://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/the-path-is-not-the-goal-x0x

There's the x0x going as nuts as it can with a failing transistor.

edit: snare! https://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/the-path-is-not-the-goal-eqing

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 24, 2013

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

I like the smooth bassline, the synth is a bit too generic for my tastes, especially the melody of it, would also cut back on the reverb a bit. There's an one-off voice sample in there that I'd like to be there more often. That bubblegum kinda synth, like, the second one that comes in - don't like it.

e: let's make that a sandwich. I dig the drums, but I don't think it needs the first 10 seconds. Oh, damnit.

https://soundcloud.com/hardw1red/scghstshredwip1 here's my hat in the ring.

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 26, 2013

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

Really cool stuff, I get a late 90s Big Beat vibe from it. That gnarly bassline is cool as hell. The drums sound pretty muffled and really lack high end. You might want to try layering them up. Some kind of breakdown where the bassline cuts out and some melodic or harmony is explored might help develop the track a bit more.

Here is a little electronic track I started earlier this week, but I have no idea where to take it. The first half really needs some work and maybe some melody to focus on. The second half was something I added at the last minute, but I almost like it more than the first half. Any suggestions are welcome!

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

I'm really impressed by the fast keystrokes at the beginning, it sounds like a thousand fingers are playing at once. I've really got nothing to complain about until the one minute mark. Here though, I feel like every instrument wants to be the most present one, and then at around 1:15 the guitar's really loud compared to the rest of the song. There's also still a lot of stuff going on in the background, it just generates too much, like, gainy loudness in the middle to high spectrum for my taste. Guess it's the same problem as in the part before, just that the guitar is now even louder. I like the breakdown and generally everything from that point on. I feel like the issue with the loudness and stuff is pretty much gone after the breakdown.

Also, thanks for the feedback. But, could you explain what you mean by layering up the drums? I always had trouble with things sounding muffled. I use a thing called Soundgoodizer to mend that a bit, but I feel like there should be a less cheap way.

e:
I like this one a lot. Reminds me a bit of Adventure Time's closing credits. Got nothing to complain, looking forward to the final version.

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 26, 2013

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Pizzatime posted:

I like the smooth bassline, the synth is a bit too generic for my tastes, especially the melody of it, would also cut back on the reverb a bit. There's an one-off voice sample in there that I'd like to be there more often. That bubblegum kinda synth, like, the second one that comes in - don't like it.

I've made the drums cut through a bit more (the 808 sound still needs a head), and I'm planning on splicing up some more of the vocals since I've got a few dozen hours of that guy talking and I want it to be an element throughout. The big thing about that synth is it seems to sit weirder on monitors than on headphones, try some earbuds with it. I like the sound, personally. Kind of basement-y. Here's the slightly updated version with some better x0x play and some more of the samples in the drums: http://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/the-hats-are-the-goal

I looooove this track. I'm a huge big beat fan and this is one 303 shy of being truly amazing to me. :D

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I've made the drums cut through a bit more (the 808 sound still needs a head), and I'm planning on splicing up some more of the vocals since I've got a few dozen hours of that guy talking and I want it to be an element throughout. The big thing about that synth is it seems to sit weirder on monitors than on headphones, try some earbuds with it. I like the sound, personally. Kind of basement-y. Here's the slightly updated version with some better x0x play and some more of the samples in the drums: http://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/the-hats-are-the-goal

Sounds good, It's got some nice deep bass. Still a bit muddy - is there still reverb on the bass? I like the hats you've added.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Pizzatime posted:

e: let's make that a sandwich. I dig the drums, but I don't think it needs the first 10 seconds. Oh, damnit.

https://soundcloud.com/hardw1red/scghstshredwip1 here's my hat in the ring.

Nice, this is great, I'm a little out of the loop on this genre, would this be considered drumstep? I like the vocal fills, but not a huge fan of the chopped up vocal line that runs throughout.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Lump Shaker posted:

Sounds good, It's got some nice deep bass. Still a bit muddy - is there still reverb on the bass? I like the hats you've added.

The bass is untouched and there was never reverb on it, it's a Vermona Kick Lancet pretending to be an 808 and I can get it quite as clean (gently caress Pitch knobs on kick synths). When I bounce out the entire track I'm hoping to use an actual 808 kick, assuming I can track down a cheap BD808 module and sell this loving Access Virus B. Thanks, I've been sampling elements of the drums off old dub 45s and timestretching them around until they stutter a tiny bit.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

I really dig the first 40 seconds. You definitely improved on the drums, has a fight club vibe to it. Still don't like the simplicity of the synth melody and the second synth after the breakdown, but opinions, I guess.

Glad to hear that my stuff finds recognition.
By 303, do you mean something like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Overdriven_TB303_Patterns_varying_resonance.ogg ?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Pizzatime posted:

I really dig the first 40 seconds. You definitely improved on the drums, has a fight club vibe to it. Still don't like the simplicity of the synth melody and the second synth after the breakdown, but opinions, I guess.

The synth is meant to be kind of seedy basement acid, very 90s. I've been getting mixed reactions on it so I may play with it, but people who are familiar with acid tend to like it so it may just be a genre/stylistic thing? I have no idea what the second synth you're referring to is.

Pizzatime posted:

Glad to hear that my stuff finds recognition.
By 303, do you mean something like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Overdriven_TB303_Patterns_varying_resonance.ogg ?

That's the one!

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

The synth is meant to be kind of seedy basement acid, very 90s. I've been getting mixed reactions on it so I may play with it, but people who are familiar with acid tend to like it so it may just be a genre/stylistic thing? I have no idea what the second synth you're referring to is.

I'm very bad on identifying things by genre, but that might very well be the case.

What I'm calling the first synth starts at 0:43, second synth is that bubblegum bassline thingy all the way from 1:20 to 2:10. Just now realising that it's the bassline being modulated, my bad!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Okay, so you dislike the one coming in at 0:43? Or the bassline modulation?

What kind of music do you normally listen to?

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

I don't really love either, but I find the latter to be rather dull. The one at 0:43 has potential, but as it is right now, it reminds me of my old leads. Simple melody, and have it go up and down a note every beat.
Like - - - - _ _ _ _ ¯ ¯ ¯ ¯ - - - - It's totally okay, just not very exciting.

That's a tough question. I listen to a whole lot of stuff. I can't really name genres. I could just name a bunch of artists, but there's just so many. Today I listened to the Wipeout Fury HD soundtrack and the early White Stripes, if that helps. "Just Hiss" & "Broken Bricks" to be precise.

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 26, 2013

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Pizzatime posted:

I don't really love either, but I find the latter to be rather dull. The one at 0:43 has potential, but as it is right now, it reminds me of my old leads. Simple melody, and have it go up and down a note every beat.
Like - - - - _ _ _ _ ¯ ¯ ¯ ¯ - - - - It's totally okay, just not very exciting.

How's something like this in terms of overall sound: http://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/second-303-uninspired-pattern

Way more acid-y, though obviously that pattern is super uninteresting and would need way more details with it.

v:shobon:v

That kind of pattern is what I was talking about for your track, by the way.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

That's way more like it! Now make that - _¯-_-¯_--_¯_ be something like - ¯_-¯-_¯_--¯-_ every 4th beat or so and you got yourself a sweet lead I'd say.

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 26, 2013

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

This is awesome. I really wish that snare was a little louder. I don't know if you purposely mixed it towards the back but it sounds nice and chunky and I think if you threw some parallel compression and a gated reverb on it you'd get a nice big thwack out of it. This reminds me a little of Terravita--has that same big sound with the overall grittiness. I dig it.

I started working on a future garage track and I kind of hit a wall. Any tips or suggestions?
https://soundcloud.com/heyitsben/fg-wip

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

https://soundcloud.com/hardw1red/scghstshredwip2 next version's up!

e: https://soundcloud.com/hardw1red/scghstshredwip3 worked on it enough to validate another upload. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 26, 2013

O. Henry O-Face
Sep 16, 2009

Pizzatime posted:

https://soundcloud.com/hardw1red/scghstshredwip3 worked on it enough to validate another upload. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Seconding that I think this is great, however, your kick seems a little bit boomy, are you scoopin' them mids at all on it? Also what are you mixing on? There's some parts where the bass feels a little woofy, but then again it could just be my monitors. I like where the drums sit, but I feel as though you could lighten the side-chaining on the snare that's going on, it just seems a little abrupt.

Overall though, this is a sweet piece of music, Starcraft samples and electronic music seem to meld so well together. And the chopped up "aggression inhibitors" is just downright groovy!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Thoogsby posted:

This is awesome. I really wish that snare was a little louder. I don't know if you purposely mixed it towards the back but it sounds nice and chunky and I think if you threw some parallel compression and a gated reverb on it you'd get a nice big thwack out of it. This reminds me a little of Terravita--has that same big sound with the overall grittiness. I dig it.

I started working on a future garage track and I kind of hit a wall. Any tips or suggestions?

I really love the percussion and the atmos, I would love to hear a sub line, or a really low passed reese or something to juxtapose the organic sounds (listening to the rest of your stuff that doesn't really sound like your style though).

E: here's a sketch i've been working on (i'm still pretty new to producing house/techno kinda stuff, going for a dark and minimal kinda thing):http://soundcloud.com/fieldbalm/mazziniwip

I'd love help with sound selection/mixing etc - i want this song to be around 4 minutes and don't really want to introduce many more sounds except for incidental percussion, so I want to get the important ones right.

field balm fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 27, 2013

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

snorch posted:

Yeah really liking this one even though I don't really know what is being said. I actually really enjoy how it's recorded though. :15-:18 is the only part that I feel needs to be changed a bit. The backing works with it really well though.

Here is something that I've been working on after listening to some Venetian snares. This probably took way longer than it needed to but I chopped it all by hand while messing with different effects. Pretty happy with the direction it is going so far.

\/- sorry about that, added a bit more.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 27, 2013

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Yeah really liking this one. Hope you make more music like this.

Come on, dude:

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So, if you're going to post one of your own, you can take the time to write a little bit of thoughtful feedback, not just "I like it!" If you're posting a sketch you're probably fishing for some feedback yourself, so take the time and give someone else what they're looking for. The last thread was a link depository, lets make this one a discussion to help us all improve.

It doesn't hurt to provide actual feedback we can go off of when developing our tracks, I'm sure you expect some feedback yourself, and one of the reasons the thread was restarted was to prevent it from turning into a link pile like the last one.

I went to give your track some feedback but for some reason it isn't loading for me.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

How's something like this in terms of overall sound: http://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/second-303-uninspired-pattern

Way more acid-y, though obviously that pattern is super uninteresting and would need way more details with it.

Just two quick notes on this one. I would kill the delay on the snare and maybe use a different snare sound with more punch, that one sounds like it has a lot of high harmonics in it. Right around 1:15 where the beat comes back after the little fill, I'm not sure if there is a bass note missing or if you dropped the volume and brought it up a little late.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Lump Shaker posted:

Just two quick notes on this one. I would kill the delay on the snare and maybe use a different snare sound with more punch, that one sounds like it has a lot of high harmonics in it.

I'll look into the snare, I was fond of the almost industrial feel it gave, kind of hammer on concrete. I keep messing with the delay as either on or off, but I think I want to hear the track more filled up before I make a final decision. I think part of it is that I need more stuff and that's filling that gap for now, so maybe I won't feel like it later. It gives it a slight industrial feel to me though. v:shobon:v

edit: I re-listened to it and yeah you're totally right on both counts. I think it fit back when I had another synth in there, but with the two two 303 lines I've got going now it's sitting way higher than it needs to, frequency-wise. Time to dig through more vinyl. :negative:

Lump Shaker posted:

Right around 1:15 where the beat comes back after the little fill, I'm not sure if there is a bass note missing or if you dropped the volume and brought it up a little late.

Yeah, that's not intentional but I can't fix it for now. It's because the background is playing from a x0xb0x in real time, so when I cut the volume it's still playing. Once I bounce everything out I can actually cut and resume it properly. :shobon:

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 27, 2013

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

Harminoff posted:

Here is something that I've been working on after listening to some venetian snares. This probably took way longer than it needed to but I chopped it all by hand while messing with different effects. Pretty happy with the direction it is going so far.

I really like this! It's nice to see a piece with a slow harmonic progression for a change. I also like how you don't go right to I on the 4th measure like one would expect.

The percussion coming in sounds really cool, and the 4 measures before the lead comes in sound fine. Once the lead comes in though, I think the percussion gets too crazy too quickly. You're only about a minute or so into the piece, and the "glitchy" sounding rhythms sound like they're coming from more of a climactic section. I'd tone it down a little bit, at least if you want to make this much longer. Also, when you take out the percussion on the 13th measure, I expect something to happen on either the 14th or the 15th measure: either it coming back, some sort of acid or arp to come in, or maybe something else. As it is, with four measures of no percussion it sounds kind of boring I hate to say. I'm no expert at all on this, but if you really want four measures of no percussion there try putting a slight chorus or reverb filter on it, that might help.

Next time, convert it to an MP3 before uploading it to tindeck so people don't have to download it manually.

Here's something that might end up being the exposition for a sonata or something. I know there aren't many classical composers in here but give it all you've got!

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Man I really like this one. The humming and those sick drums go together really well, and then the piano(?) that comes in at the end takes it away, also that voice sample. Awesome stuff, looking forward to the next version.
Not that you posted it, but 2-16-13 kinda reminds me of Chris Clark. I personally don't like the part coming it at 1:55, but I think that's just my taste. I hated those long single hit sounds in bit.trip runner already, and everybody loved it there, too.

The beginning reminds me of the Intro from Betrayal at Krondor, for whatever that's worth. I like what you're doing to that snare, though I feel it's a bit too loud. had to take the volume down a notch to not twitch everytime it hit, when it was okay for the part before it came in. The bass and the synths go together really well, too.

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 27, 2013

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Haam posted:

Here's something that might end up being the exposition for a sonata or something. I know there aren't many classical composers in here but give it all you've got!

This is great. I envy people with classical musical playing abilities. What's your background in terms of training?

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Might just be me but I'm not digging the vocal sample on this. It kind of throws the groove off. It's really laid back until that point and it just kind of pulls you out of the track.

Thoogsby posted:

Made a little progress on this an uploaded another draft.
https://soundcloud.com/heyitsben/fg-wip-pt-2

I'm thinking of taking it in 1 of 2 directions from here, either dropping it into a breakdown section and building it back up from there or filtering elements out like the hum and slowly working new complimentary sounds in. The key on this is not something I'm used to, I can't get any vocals to really groove with it.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Thoogsby posted:

I'm thinking of taking it in 1 of 2 directions from here, either dropping it into a breakdown section and building it back up from there or filtering elements out like the hum and slowly working new complimentary sounds in. The key on this is not something I'm used to, I can't get any vocals to really groove with it.

I'm realllllly loving the drums and how they cut through the noise. There's a background sound, a kind of higher pitched ghostly background sound that I'd love to see get some more special treatment (especially if it's synthetic and not a sample, it'd make a great kind of tracking element besides the drums). I think that perhaps a bit more clarity overall on at least some element besides the drums would really help it carry through.

Here's a much much much more polished sketch of that one I've been working on forever: http://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/the-303-is-probably-the-goal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

Thoogsby posted:

This is great. I envy people with classical musical playing abilities. What's your background in terms of training?

Made a little progress on this an uploaded another draft.

I'm a piano major at my local university, although I'm no virtuoso by any means. I'd much rather be a composition major but my university doesn't offer that degree (:qq:)

Anyway, I love how damp this sounds. It brings to my mind an image of a dark, wet cave (not a vagina you sicko) being recorded by a lo-fi mic. Pretty much perfect for a dark underwater level in a game.

The piano sounds a bit flat and lifeless to me. Most VST pianos need at least a small amount of reverb to make them sound good, maybe that'll help? Your last phrase felt a little long, because it seemed like nothing changed from the phrase just before it (I know you took out the duck sounding thing there but it's not very obvious, I only heard it missing on my second time listening). As far as taking it in new directions goes, have you thought about varying the harmony? I was thinking having the piano go up again on its next entrance to make a major chord would be pretty cool, although you might want to save that for later.

• Locked thread