Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Here's a much much much more polished sketch of that one I've been working on forever: http://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/the-303-is-probably-the-goal

I really like this, very relaxing. I would say though that the vocals seem a bit out of place to me. All I can think of is that it'd work better with "smokier"/"more seductive" vocals. Sorry for my wording, but yeah apart from that I'm really digging it and I'm not really in touch with much electronic music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

field balm posted:

E: here's a sketch i've been working on (i'm still pretty new to producing house/techno kinda stuff, going for a dark and minimal kinda thing):http://soundcloud.com/fieldbalm/mazziniwip

I like this one. I feel there's like a peak controller/balance thing going on for every instrument, which usually I wouldn't recommend, but it kinda makes this track for me. I really like the dirty bassline coming in at 1:00. I'm curious to see where this'll go.

Thoogsby posted:

Made a little progress on this an uploaded another draft.
https://soundcloud.com/heyitsben/fg-wip-pt-2

drat, this is just getting better.

Could you make your tracks downloadable? I'd like to be able to listen to this wherever I am.

This goes to everyone posting their stuff in here. If you don't want to, it's fine. But if you don't care, I'd be delighted to be able to download the tracks.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Here's a much much much more polished sketch of that one I've been working on forever: http://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/the-303-is-probably-the-goal

Cut back the reverb. It's a really cheap way of making your track sound fuller, and once you notice it, it's really annoying and makes the song pretty un-listenable. Then it's like the same 3 second loop for an entire minute from 0:10 to 1:10, or at least there's not enough change to make it seem like there is. Still don't like the bass going all acid on you at the end.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Pizzatime posted:

Cut back the reverb. It's a really cheap way of making your track sound fuller, and once you notice it, it's really annoying and makes the song pretty un-listenable. Then it's like the same 3 second loop for an entire minute from 0:10 to 1:10, or at least there's not enough change to make it seem like there is.

This is fairly accurate, but there's other stuff I'm working on now that will be sitting in the mid with less reverb (whic. It just involves a lot of really annoying routing cables but it should be good to go soon. I've tried cutting the reverb off the bass but the truth is right now I've got relatively little reverb effecting the stereo portions of things (some mono delay though). The trick I'm kind of abusing on the acid lines is using lives simple delay with both sides synced routed into Guitar Rig which is giving a small amount of stereo reverb. I may be able to cut it off of the bassline somewhat, I'll see once I've added more stuff.

Pizzatime posted:

Still don't like the bass going all acid on you at the end.

For what it's worth, you're the only person who has got back to me disliking this, everyone else has kind of been "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAcid!" at it. :buddy:

e. Here it is with no reverb on the bassline, just for you! edit: below vvv

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 29, 2013

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Pizzatime posted:

drat, this is just getting better.

Could you make your tracks downloadable? I'd like to be able to listen to this wherever I am.

I'll make the final track downloadable if I can, if I get it done by April 20th I might submit it for a compilation album in my city. I'll probably delete the sketch today or tomorrow, I don't like keeping sketches up on my soundcloud especially if I plan on finishing it.

Haam posted:

Anyway, I love how damp this sounds. It brings to my mind an image of a dark, wet cave (not a vagina you sicko) being recorded by a lo-fi mic. Pretty much perfect for a dark underwater level in a game.

The piano sounds a bit flat and lifeless to me. Most VST pianos need at least a small amount of reverb to make them sound good, maybe that'll help? Your last phrase felt a little long, because it seemed like nothing changed from the phrase just before it (I know you took out the duck sounding thing there but it's not very obvious, I only heard it missing on my second time listening). As far as taking it in new directions goes, have you thought about varying the harmony? I was thinking having the piano go up again on its next entrance to make a major chord would be pretty cool, although you might want to save that for later.

The piano is actually drowned in reverb but it's filtered down quite a bit. It's a New York Grand VST and it's crazy bright if I don't control it. I'll definitely try varying the piano but like you mentioned it might be an asset towards the end of the track. Also future garage generally has a very minor sound and I want to be consistent with that, I think I'd even rather go in the other direction and make it more dissonant.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'm realllllly loving the drums and how they cut through the noise. There's a background sound, a kind of higher pitched ghostly background sound that I'd love to see get some more special treatment (especially if it's synthetic and not a sample, it'd make a great kind of tracking element besides the drums). I think that perhaps a bit more clarity overall on at least some element besides the drums would really help it carry through.

That hum is a sample but it sounds really good even opened up a little so I think I'll incorporate that into whatever's next, Thanks.

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 29, 2013

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

e. Here it is with no reverb on the bassline, just for you! http://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/the-303-without-reverb-may-be

I should not select the sampler line in when recording copies of tracks: http://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/selecting-the-right-line-in-is

e. Listened to that on earbuds and it's way way way better.

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 29, 2013

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

It just involves a lot of really annoying routing cables

I'm really digging your grooves and also I'm really curious and don't have a full on grasp of what you've actually got going on routing / cables / hardware-wise. Would you mind posting a pic of your set up? (or PM me if you don't just want it all out there)

Edit: also I've been following the thread bit don't have anything new to add so far as my recordings go, so I'm somewhat holding back on my opinions (so I don't just come across as having nothing to offer but a bunch of opinions)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I'm really digging your grooves and also I'm really curious and don't have a full on grasp of what you've actually got going on routing / cables / hardware-wise. Would you mind posting a pic of your set up? (or PM me if you don't just want it all out there)

Sure thing!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Edit: also I've been following the thread bit don't have anything new to add so far as my recordings go, so I'm somewhat holding back on my opinions (so I don't just come across as having nothing to offer but a bunch of opinions)

Please please please post opinions! We're in this thread for feedback, not so we can just jerk each other off. Any feedback is welcome, it's just that if you want to post a sketch you've made, please make sure you do comment on someone else.

Enjoy some grossly overused ping-pong delay! http://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/kusala-as

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 29, 2013

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Sure thing!

Please please please post opinions! We're in this thread for feedback, not so we can just jerk each other off. Any feedback is welcome, it's just that if you want to post a sketch you've made, please make sure you do comment on someone else.

Enjoy some grossly overused ping-pong delay! http://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/kusala-as

Well drat that's a lot of cool looking gear. I don't know anything about anything when it comes to that stuff. Is that analogue synth stuff? I know this isn't the gear thread or anything so I don't want to derail it.

As for feedback, here you go!

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I should not select the sampler line in when recording copies of tracks: http://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/selecting-the-right-line-in-is

e. Listened to that on earbuds and it's way way way better.

What happened at :43? Sounds like a weird skip or something. Intentional? It throws off the groove. edit: oh cpu issues I see

I like the samples a lot. I feel like if I read my study notes into a recorder in my best will shatner voice, added some reverb, and threw them over some acid grooves I'd have absolutely no problem studying and remembering everything. It's oddly relaxing. I have no idea if it's already been done in the world of acid techno (correct genre?) but I think some sagan samples would fit so well.

I think after the "path is not the goal" sample (at 1:15), that the bass and drums should kick in much harder. But that's probably just me because I like everything hard and heavy. I'm expecting it to come in crushing.

When the drums come back in at 1:58, it feels like there should be some sort of snare lead in fill. Maybe a simple "ta ta ta ta *dum dumm ta dumm dum ta".... (the * there is where the drums kick in at 1:58. the "ta's" are the snare, the "dum's" are the bass) I hope that makes sense.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

And I really really hope you don't feel like I'm stepping on any toes here, but I was playing around and did a quick little cover of your tune. Just in case you were wondering what acid sounds like done with effects-laden guitars.

https://soundcloud.com/argonrock/cover-of-thecascadians-the-path-is-not-the-goal

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Haam posted:

I really like this! It's nice to see a piece with a slow harmonic progression for a change. I also like how you don't go right to I on the 4th measure like one would expect.

The percussion coming in sounds really cool, and the 4 measures before the lead comes in sound fine. Once the lead comes in though, I think the percussion gets too crazy too quickly. You're only about a minute or so into the piece, and the "glitchy" sounding rhythms sound like they're coming from more of a climactic section. I'd tone it down a little bit, at least if you want to make this much longer. Also, when you take out the percussion on the 13th measure, I expect something to happen on either the 14th or the 15th measure: either it coming back, some sort of acid or arp to come in, or maybe something else. As it is, with four measures of no percussion it sounds kind of boring I hate to say. I'm no expert at all on this, but if you really want four measures of no percussion there try putting a slight chorus or reverb filter on it, that might help.

Thank you guys for the positive reviews! I was a bit nervous putting anything on here as I'm pretty new to all this but am really enjoying it. And yes I agree, it needs a lot of work once the lead comes in it does get a bit out of hand. I'm trying to do all the manipulation without any repeats and was just experimenting a bit with that part. I'm pretty terrible at transitions (I have a lot of 30 second loops but can't go anywhere with them) so I think I'm going to pick up some music theory books and try to figure it out a bit more.

One question though, may I ask what you meant by this "I also like how you don't go right to I on the 4th measure like one would expect."

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

This is loving awesome, seriously. I'm in awe.

As for your feedback, I agree on the drums to an extent, that's kind of hard to do right now because the drums aren't bounced out. That may be a point at which I could ramp up the samples over them. :)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I listened to a lot of feedback from people and improved the drumline a hell of a lot (in my opinion) as well as reducing the role of the previous snare and cutting a lot of samples: http://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/drums-holy-gently caress

e. Sorry for making GBS threads up my own thread with microedits of a track. This is the closest I've gotten to a track I'm happy with and I'm kind of swimming in the dark here.

e2. Sampled in an 808 kick instead of trying to force a Vermona to fake it: http://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/path-808-kick

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 31, 2013

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

e2. Sampled in an 808 kick instead of trying to force a Vermona to fake it: http://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/path-808-kick

I like the groove you have going here, the hats/cymbals especially are sounding nice to me. I think it might benefit from a little more variation during the first bit so it's not just the same loop for a minute straight, maybe slowly bring in some kind of pad element?

Thoogsby posted:

Made a little progress on this an uploaded another draft.
https://soundcloud.com/heyitsben/fg-wip-pt-2

Looks like this is gone now but I remember really enjoying where you were going with this, keep chasing that sound!

As for me, here's the start of something that's been stuck in my head, and I'm not sure if that's good or bad, so I'd love outsider input.

Some things: I haven't done any serious mixing yet, and the synth sound design is bound to change, especially the ones that comes in at 1:13 and 1:29. I guess I'm looking for feedback on the various synth melodies and if you think they all gel together, but any other opinions would be cool too!

http://soundcloud.com/mathbonus/3-31-13/s-0CVxf

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

slardel posted:

As for me, here's the start of something that's been stuck in my head, and I'm not sure if that's good or bad, so I'd love outsider input.

Some things: I haven't done any serious mixing yet, and the synth sound design is bound to change, especially the ones that comes in at 1:13 and 1:29. I guess I'm looking for feedback on the various synth melodies and if you think they all gel together, but any other opinions would be cool too!

http://soundcloud.com/mathbonus/3-31-13/s-0CVxf

I like where this is headed. That little blip line that comes in at :15 is great but parts of it are getting lost behind the percussion where it's currently sitting. This is probably just because you haven't mixed it yet but the last couple notes in the loop (4 bars?) are hitting at the same time as the snare I believe, but it sounds pretty catchy.

Just curious is this what your normal workflow is like? Making a full length-ish tune without any of the bells and whistles and then building it up from there etc. I'm always curious about how people progress through a song. I work kind of linearly where I won't move on to the 17th bar until bars 1-16 are reasonably complete.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Thoogsby posted:

I like where this is headed. That little blip line that comes in at :15 is great but parts of it are getting lost behind the percussion where it's currently sitting. This is probably just because you haven't mixed it yet but the last couple notes in the loop (4 bars?) are hitting at the same time as the snare I believe, but it sounds pretty catchy.

Just curious is this what your normal workflow is like? Making a full length-ish tune without any of the bells and whistles and then building it up from there etc. I'm always curious about how people progress through a song. I work kind of linearly where I won't move on to the 17th bar until bars 1-16 are reasonably complete.

Thanks. Pretty much, I guess. I start by making a loop that I like and then build the track around it, keeping in mind how I want the whole thing to progress and just sort of feeling out where I think "drops" or bits with elements stripped away, etc should be as I go. Also it is always changing and I probably do stupid things because I've learned all of this stuff on my own. But yeah, I definitely try not to get hung up on mixing until the track is pretty much all laid out.

edit: VV thanks - just wav samples laid out in midi!

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 31, 2013

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

I'm really digging the 808 on this, what did you use to make it? I do think the synths and mixing need work, around the 2 minute mark I'm really liking it but there's a sine going in the background I'd love to see as a crunchy distorted saw. I also think the synths feel a bit quantized to me and could be messed up in terms of patterns a bit.

I'd really love a demo of how you do your drums. :)

editing this is so as to not bump the thread: http://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/now-were-talking-acid

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 1, 2013

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Pizzatime posted:

I like this one. I feel there's like a peak controller/balance thing going on for every instrument, which usually I wouldn't recommend, but it kinda makes this track for me. I really like the dirty bassline coming in at 1:00. I'm curious to see where this'll go.

Thanks for the feedback! Just to confirm, by peak controller are you referring to the heavy sidechaining (I'm not familiar with the term sorry :sweatdrop:)?

I really like this, and have little to criticize: I think the cowbell is maybe a little loud/dry and I guess the synths could be 'looser', but yeah, it rules. I love this style of percussion and can't do it very well myself. I'm another one of those jerks who works 16 bars at a time and my songs lack progression because of it.

Speaking of, here is an update on the sketch above: http://soundcloud.com/fieldbalm/mazinniwip2 (I just stuck a limiter on to get the volume up, it peaks at like -12db in reaper).

I'm pretty happy with the core sounds now, just need to work on some build-ups and fills/incidental percussion. The structure I'm not sure on, should I just find a similar tune and copy its structure? I feel like it is bad to mess around with that much in house.

E: noticed i had my master effects off when i rendered, pretend there is 2-bus compression

field balm fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 1, 2013

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

field balm posted:

Speaking of, here is an update on the sketch above: http://soundcloud.com/fieldbalm/mazinniwip2 (I just stuck a limiter on to get the volume up, it peaks at like -12db in reaper).

I'm pretty happy with the core sounds now, just need to work on some build-ups and fills/incidental percussion. The structure I'm not sure on, should I just find a similar tune and copy its structure? I feel like it is bad to mess around with that much in house.
I think the structure works really well, and I like how it's coming along, but you're right, it definitely needs some build up and additional stuff in places. This isn't the kind of thing I make, or even listen to, so bear that in mind when I talk about it:

It feels a little flat overall, and maybe that's because of the limiter, but right now there doesn't seem to be much in the way of dynamics until the part at 2:30 kicks in, and then it kinda sticks with that intensity until the end. I think you could go a little crazier with the percussion there, and leading into the part that starts at 3:00 to get some more dynamics between those sections and change things up a bit. Maybe also try simplifying things a little in the beginning, and apply some crazy effects or something to help with the build up.

Again, I am not really that familiar with electronic music in general, so I'm not the greatest person to offer advice, but I hope that helps even a tiny bit. :)

~

And speaking of not knowing much about electronic music, here's a kinda proggy rock song I was working on a couple of months ago! I'm basically going to have to redo it mostly from scratch, since I accidentally deleted the project file and can't recover it for some reason. Sucks that I'll have to redo it, but I want to use this opportunity to make it better, because I really love this track. Any thoughts/advice would be mucho appreciated.

...And What I Found There

Edit: Also, if this private link doesn't work, someone let me know.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 2, 2013

OtherCubed
Nov 12, 2008

:ese::saddowns:

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

...And What I Found There

Edit: Also, if this private link doesn't work, someone let me know.

I don't feel great giving criticism about other people's music because I always feel as if I don't have a clue what I'm talking about, but for me I'd probably make the intro section shorter, or more varied. I'd try two repeats maybe, or build up each louder section more so it feels more as if it's ramping up. Also it might be personal preference but I'm not a fan of the way the bass follows the guitar exactly between 1.27-1.58 and in a couple of sections after that. Again, I'm talking out of my rear end so I'm probably not being that useful. I like the sound of it overall, and the end feels very satisfying.

I know this is a horribly vague question, but my terminology is terrible: Slardel, I really, really love this track: https://soundcloud.com/mathbonus/fog - what have you done to the drums to make them so powerful?

Here's something I did today, it's not really satisfied me - any crits would be ace: https://soundcloud.com/tom-stockley/idealistic

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

OtherCubed posted:

Here's something I did today, it's not really satisfied me - any crits would be ace: https://soundcloud.com/tom-stockley/idealistic

The vocal edit and atmos here are great, but there is something wrong with the drum mix. Is there a kick drum? If there is, turn it up by like 12db or something, if not - add one! The drums sound dull, like they're all low passed and it makes them not stand out from the other elements enough. A big part of this style is having all the melodic stuff duck on the main drum hits, so maybe try sidechaining the rest of the mix to the kick/claps. I really like the melodics here man, work on this!

Thanks so much for your feedback dude, I'm working hard on introducing some more dynamics! Also, this is not my style but I like the guitar/bass work, cool classic vibe. I feel like the drums need to double time it at some point! I don't know how much it fits the style but a little lead with some heavy modulation effects or something could spice it up too. Can I ask how you recorded the bass? I sometimes record mine straight into my audio interface but it doesn't sound anywhere near that nice!

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

OtherCubed posted:

I know this is a horribly vague question, but my terminology is terrible: Slardel, I really, really love this track: https://soundcloud.com/mathbonus/fog - what have you done to the drums to make them so powerful?

Hey, thanks man! People seemed to have mixed opinions about them, some said they thought that the snare was overly present - I definitely focused a lot on drum processing on that tune though. Healthy amounts of parallel compression (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_compression) on your drum bus will do a lot for you, and I think on Fog I had some multiband saturation plugin thrown on my parallel signal chain after the compression to beef them up even more.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

OtherCubed posted:

I don't feel great giving criticism about other people's music because I always feel as if I don't have a clue what I'm talking about, but for me I'd probably make the intro section shorter, or more varied. I'd try two repeats maybe, or build up each louder section more so it feels more as if it's ramping up. Also it might be personal preference but I'm not a fan of the way the bass follows the guitar exactly between 1.27-1.58 and in a couple of sections after that. Again, I'm talking out of my rear end so I'm probably not being that useful. I like the sound of it overall, and the end feels very satisfying.

field balm posted:

Also, this is not my style but I like the guitar/bass work, cool classic vibe. I feel like the drums need to double time it at some point! I don't know how much it fits the style but a little lead with some heavy modulation effects or something could spice it up too. Can I ask how you recorded the bass? I sometimes record mine straight into my audio interface but it doesn't sound anywhere near that nice!

Thanks dudes, this gives me some good ideas. The first section definitely need some variety. I'll try to have it build up before it goes into the next part, and I hadn't even thought of double timing the drums sometimes. That's a good call.

field balm, I recorded bass direct in through my interface, and used a simulated bass amp in Logic along with a bit of reverb and EQ.

OtherCubed
Nov 12, 2008

Ah thanks for the tips guys! I think it's sounding a bit better now: https://soundcloud.com/tom-stockley/idealistic

Thanks Slardel, I definitely need to do some reading around how get a bit more in-depth. Do people round here use Ableton much?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

OtherCubed posted:

Do people round here use Ableton much?

Think so, there's a whole thread dedicated to it. I use Live exclusively.

tentril
May 9, 2012

I'm going to echo that the beginning needs to get changed up and that the bass shouldn't be doubling the guitar quite so much. The way it's written now makes the bass sound like an afterthought. Perhaps for that intro riff(which I believe is E F# B A?) have the bass go up instead of back down to the A? If you did that on the second and fourth repeats of the riff it would add some variety. In the droning parts that lead up to that riff I feel like the drums should be doing a little something extra.

Here is a thing I've been working on. I'm pretty satisfied with how the instruments are written, but I'm having the hardest time coming up with a melody. Here's the best I've come up with. This is written in Guitar Pro, so I don't really need to know what you think of the actual instrument sounds. Please tell me where this melody should go or if the instruments are bad in some way I haven't noticed.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

tentril posted:

I'm going to echo that the beginning needs to get changed up and that the bass shouldn't be doubling the guitar quite so much. The way it's written now makes the bass sound like an afterthought.

This is a little funny to me, since I wrote the bass part first. Good suggestions, though. I'll definitely try that out. I've always liked the way it sounds when the bass and guitar do the same thing, but I do it too often, so it would be a good idea for me to change it up some. I could completely rewrite the bass part, actually. Might as well. I really didn't spend much time on this one. Wrote it all in one night, and then mixed it the next day, so it could definitely use some refining.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 4, 2013

tentril
May 9, 2012
I had wrongfully assumed the guitar part was written first, because that's normally what I see. If you really like the doubling, I would say find the riff/section you think is strongest and have it there. If the whole thing is just two instruments playing almost the same thing it feels sort of empty.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

tentril posted:

I had wrongfully assumed the guitar part was written first, because that's normally what I see. If you really like the doubling, I would say find the riff/section you think is strongest and have it there. If the whole thing is just two instruments playing almost the same thing it feels sort of empty.

Oh I definitely agree. There's going to be vocals on it eventually, but I'd like the instruments to be a little more exciting anyway. I've gotten some great ideas in here, so I'm pumped to get back to work on it.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

https://soundcloud.com/hardw1red/scghstshredwip4

I feel like I should say something about this, but I don't know what.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Pizzatime posted:

Dig the groove.

I think the little 1 count stops could benefit from being made into a 4 count stop with fading echo on the snare (or 4 count scratch) before it comes back. Make any sense?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

OtherCubed posted:

Ah thanks for the tips guys! I think it's sounding a bit better now: https://soundcloud.com/tom-stockley/idealistic

Thanks Slardel, I definitely need to do some reading around how get a bit more in-depth. Do people round here use Ableton much?

This is sounding so much better man, cool track.

Pizzatime posted:

This reminds me of the music from command and conquer, like that 'mechanical man' track. The big distorted/stuttering synth sounds cool as poo poo. Only feedback I can offer is maybe chuck in some more fills like the one around 0:40, it rules.

I've been working on finishing off the track I've posted a week or so back, but also working on a few more tracks in a similar style. Here's the basics for a new one: http://soundcloud.com/fieldbalm/nostromowip

Hit me with some feedback and crits!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Pizzatime posted:

I feel like the distorted sample is sitting on top of the mix a bit, it's kind of hard to tell because the drums are relatively clean compared to the rest of the elements. Have you tried sidechaining any of the main distorted bits to drum elements? I mean, the drums feel like they're sitting under and not in the mix right now. Other than that I'm not sure what to say, the kind of ultra distorted style isn't my thing as much, but to each their own.

field balm posted:

Only feedback I can offer is maybe chuck in some more fills like the one around 0:40, it rules.

If you're asking for feedback at least give someone else some serious feedback, this thread is going to suck if everyone is totally phoning it in. Also your link is dead.

Here's something I did this afternoon, meaning this is something longer than a 15 second loop that didn't take me days and days of microadjustments!

https://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/tribal-expanded

OtherCubed
Nov 12, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Here's something I did this afternoon, meaning this is something longer than a 15 second loop that didn't take me days and days of microadjustments!

https://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/tribal-expanded

I think the drums sound ace, but I would try adding another grittier riff that follow the main one, maybe an octave lower to really add to that cool chase-type music thing you have going on. Also there's something missing to the first dip before it really kicks in, but I have no idea what. Maybe some kind of a ramp up to it starting again? I've really gotta learn some music terms.

https://soundcloud.com/tom-stockley/house-of-david-swing-wip

I've been listening to a bunch of caravan palace and I thought I'd try something similar, but I'm not really sold on it yet. Crits would be good, not really sure what it's missing.

candy bar
Jan 14, 2008

OtherCubed posted:

https://soundcloud.com/tom-stockley/house-of-david-swing-wip

I've been listening to a bunch of caravan palace and I thought I'd try something similar, but I'm not really sold on it yet. Crits would be good, not really sure what it's missing.

This is really cool and weird. Here are my pointers - first, the old-timey samples are mixed super weird. I don't like the filter you've put on them - ease up on the low-pass filter and instead cut away some of the low end. That way, your kicks and bassline will have more definition. Also, I imagine that it's probably a placeholder, but I'm still gonna go ahead and note that I don't really like the sample that you've chosen for the snare. Maybe something with a bit more punch and saturation - they key here is once again definition. All your sounds are occupying the same frequencies, which is problematic. Once you get these mix issues cleared up, it may become easier to see what's missing in terms of composition.

Today I started on a weird jukey kind of track. Is this grating as all hell? Does it make any sense? What should I do next?

https://soundcloud.com/rang_rang/superbowl/s-WUuvT

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

YALL posted:

Today I started on a weird jukey kind of track. Is this grating as all hell? Does it make any sense? What should I do next?

You have two sets of percussion that don't sync up at all 10 seconds in. It just doesn't really work in a repetitive type of song. 1:12 to 1:35 sounds pretty good; if I was making this I'd keep that on/off theme going the entire song.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

YALL posted:

The sound choices are good, but it feels way too quantized to me, way too "okay here's a new element!" every few beats, I'd love to hear it more broken away from the structure, around 1:06 it's awesome, I'm also loving the lows on whatever sub you've got in there at times, with the gun SFX. Frankly, I agree with Lhet above but in addition I'd suggest throwing out that really repetitive synth you've got, there's something underneath that with real potential but I don't think that's it.

I made a rough version of that song I posted yesterday, the drums have been cleaned up but obviously this is just a structural thing. There's one vocal sample in there which is probably going to be one of a few of them in the track, but as it is this is kind of what I've got so far:

https://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/song-outline

e. That arp will almost certainly go away, it's way too 90s and not doing it for me.

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 13, 2013

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

The sound choices are good, but it feels way too quantized to me, way too "okay here's a new element!" every few beats, I'd love to hear it more broken away from the structure, around 1:06 it's awesome, I'm also loving the lows on whatever sub you've got in there at times, with the gun SFX. Frankly, I agree with Lhet above but in addition I'd suggest throwing out that really repetitive synth you've got, there's something underneath that with real potential but I don't think that's it.

I made a rough version of that song I posted yesterday, the drums have been cleaned up but obviously this is just a structural thing. There's one vocal sample in there which is probably going to be one of a few of them in the track, but as it is this is kind of what I've got so far:

https://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/song-outline

e. That arp will almost certainly go away, it's way too 90s and not doing it for me.

-The shaker shouldn't start at the beginning, start with the other more interesting drums first, then add the shakers after 2 or so measures
-The melody thing fade at 0:19 is awkward as you first start to notice it on a weird note.
-Everything seems to happen on the high note of the melody thingy, which in many cases doesn't work.
-Cymbal things start at 0:30, before the melody has even finished it's crescendo. Also I feel they're on the wrong beat, though not sure exactly where they should be.
-The fading timing at at 0:43 is bad, you don't even let the melody riff thing finish.
-Breakdown thingy at 1:22 is boring. You're not really dropping enough instruments to make it interesting, and you aren't using the opportunity to add a completely new element to the rest of the song (pretty much the whole point of the breakdown).
-At 2:15 you start going for a new line that doesn't make sense
-3:15 to the end sounds pretty boring because you don't really have anywhere to go.
-The fade out at the end doesn't sound so good.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 13, 2013

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Lhet posted:

-The shaker shouldn't start at the beginning, start with the other more interesting drums first, then add the shakers after 2 or so measures
-The melody thing fade at 0:19 is awkward as you first start to notice it on a weird note.
-Everything seems to happen on the high note of the melody thingy, which in many cases doesn't work.
-Cymbal things start at 0:30, before the melody has even finished it's crescendo. Also I feel they're on the wrong beat, though not sure exactly where they should be.
-The fading timing at at 0:43 is bad, you don't even let the melody riff thing finish.
-Breakdown thingy at 1:22 is boring. You're not really dropping enough instruments to make it interesting, and you aren't using the opportunity to add a completely new element to the rest of the song (pretty much the whole point of the breakdown).
-At 2:15 you start going for a new line that doesn't make sense
-3:15 to the end sounds pretty boring because you don't really have anywhere to go.
-The fade out at the end doesn't sound so good.

All solid feedback, thanks! I agree about the new line not working, I need to find something that goes there. I hadn't really noticed that hat not sitting well. Listening through it again the place I'm seeing the most promise is right here: https://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/good-bits so I may focus on that. :)

candy bar
Jan 14, 2008

Hey homies, I took y'alls advice and cleaned that track up a bunch. Let me know what ya think!

https://soundcloud.com/rang_rang/redline/s-nBYNb

Also just to throw out a little advice so this post isn't completely empty, Wafflehound I would maybe tone down the reverb a little on your saw-wave synth in that little snippet, and maybe throw some kind of compression on the bass. I get that these are stylistic choices, I just think it'll help with the definition and clarity on what I'm assuming is going to be a super-slick and defined dance track.

candy bar fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 14, 2013

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

YALL posted:

Also just to throw out a little advice so this post isn't completely empty, Wafflehound I would maybe tone down the reverb a little on your saw-wave synth in that little snippet, and maybe throw some kind of compression on the bass. I get that these are stylistic choices, I just think it'll help with the definition and clarity on what I'm assuming is going to be a super-slick and defined dance track.

I'll listen to yours in a bit when I have headphones, but I'm kind of curious what you're saying needs to be sidechained because, uhhhh, everything but the 303 is sidechained. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

candy bar
Jan 14, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'll listen to yours in a bit when I have headphones, but I'm kind of curious what you're saying needs to be sidechained because, uhhhh, everything but the 303 is sidechained. :confused:

I guess I'm stupid then, it sounded off to me but what do I know. I didn't mean for you to sidechain the 303 though, just thought some compression might fatten it up a bit so it cut through the mix better.

• Locked thread